I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

depends on your luggage. the boats aren't very big, and there are steps leading up to dockside....

if you take the S-Tog to Norreport, it's a quick walk (though, construction is going on now that is wreaking havoc on the sidewalks... maybe it will be done by the time you are here)

Thank you for the information. We will be in your fair city in two weeks from today, so it doesn't sound like the sidewalks will be in condition by then. It doesn't sound like the DFDS boats are the way to go either, so I think that we will take the taxi. From the temperatures that I am seeing for Copenhagen, it looks like your temps are quite similar to those we are enjoying here in Northern California. :)

Thank you for the information. We will be in your fair city in two weeks from today, so it doesn't sound like the sidewalks will be in condition by then. It doesn't sound like the DFDS boats are the way to go either, so I think that we will take the taxi. From the temperatures that I am seeing for Copenhagen, it looks like your temps are quite similar to those we are enjoying here in Northern California. :)

you can take the train to Osterport and then easily get a cab. it's literally all of a mile - so it will be VERY cheap.

the weather here has been AMAZING these past few weeks! 70s and sunny! Not a glimpse of a cloud! May is BY FAR my favorite month in CPH! Enjoy!!!

Hi,

I sent you a message a while back asking what we can do in Copenhagen for 3 days post cruise with 4 and 6 years old in mid July. I didn't receive any reply so I'm hoping you get this one. Thank you.

This entire thread is full of suggestions for you.

I can't really recommend anything unless you give me a bit more information about what YOU like to do. Are you museum ppl, art lovers, sports enthusiasts, etc. ???

If you do a bit of research first, and then come back with some more specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help you plan out your time here with regards to logistics, etc.

:D

Our cruise ends in Copenhagen on Monday July 6th. We have to catch a flight at around 4pm. I'm hoping to get off the ship by 9am, go to the train station and drop our luggage off, and then tour before heading to the airport at around 1:30. That leaves us about 4 hrs or so to tour.

What would you recommend to see/do? I know a lot of places are closed on Monday. Some info: My husband and I are in our upper 20's/lower 30's . Love history, castles/palaces, scenery, good food.

Our cruise ends in Copenhagen on Monday July 6th. We have to catch a flight at around 4pm. I'm hoping to get off the ship by 9am, go to the train station and drop our luggage off, and then tour before heading to the airport at around 1:30. That leaves us about 4 hrs or so to tour.

What would you recommend to see/do? I know a lot of places are closed on Monday. Thanks!

LOL I see you were editing when I was writing to give me EXACTLY that info! LOL

Great!

Since you really only have a VERY short time in CPH, I would recommend that you do the HOHO bus to soak in the sights. Choose to get off at Rosenborg Slot and visit that inside. Also get off in Nyhavn and grab a hotdog and icecream and sit out on the banks of the canal. Walk back to the train station via Stroget (the walking/shopping street).

It's not a lot - but will give you a taste of CPH for your brief time.

Enjoy!

My husband and I are in our upper 20's/lower 30's . Love history, castles/palaces/churches, scenery, good food. Since we're at the end of our vacation, probably would like to not rush around much and relax. Not crazy about crowds.

My husband and I are in our upper 20's/lower 30's . Love history, castles/palaces/churches, scenery, good food. Since we're at the end of our vacation, probably would like to not rush around much and relax. Not crazy about crowds.

LOL, I also edited my previous message for you. :D

if you don't want to rush at ALL, then I would then scrap the above plan and just recommend that you:

1) drop your luggage at CPH central

2) take the METRO out to Kongens Nytorv

3) do a canal tour (leaves from Nyhavn) (1 hour approx)

4) when back to your starting point, have lunch at one of the zillions of restaurnts at Nyhavn, or stroll up the Stroget and find Cafe Norden (my fave restaurant).

Then after lunch head back to the train station and head to the airport.

stroll up the Stroget and find Cafe Norden (my fave restaurant).

One of the authors that we read has a protagonist who favors the Cafe Norden for its tomato bisque. What other dishes do you recommend there? We eat almost anything that doesn't move faster than we do. :D Is it very smokey as some of the guide books say?

One of the authors that we read has a protagonist who favors the Cafe Norden for its tomato bisque. What other dishes do you recommend there? We eat almost anything that doesn't move faster than we do. :D Is it very smokey as some of the guide books say?

ok - trade ya. who is your author??

i love everything that Cafe Norden serves. They are def. famous for their tomato bisque though - - but honestly I haven't had it (yet!).

I am in love with their brunch plate. H U G E - enough for 2 ppl to comfortably share (if you aren't starving to death).

ok - trade ya. who is your author??

i love everything that Cafe Norden serves. They are def. famous for their tomato bisque though - - but honestly I haven't had it (yet!).

I am in love with their brunch plate. H U G E - enough for 2 ppl to comfortably share (if you aren't starving to death).

The author that we like is Steve Berry. His protagonist is Cotton Malone, a dealer in rare books living in Copenhagen, who formerly worked for the Justice Department. The series

1. The Templar Legacy
  2. The Alexandria Link
  3. The Venetian Betrayal
  4. The Charlemagne Pursuit (just released)

Thank you for the info on the brunch plate. It sounds like a good lunch for the two of us.

Steve, not Steve Berry

Jen,

We are flying from ATL to CPH, arriving Monday AM, June 15, and checking into SAS Royal (early check-in). That evening we would like to take a short walk to a casual restaurant for wine and quiet sandwich, burger, etc. I have considered Hard Rock Cafe in Tivoli because of the American menu, but doubt it's quiet. What do you recommend?

Also, we are sailing on the Azamara Journey on June 18 and have arranged for a limo to take us to the port. I have read (I believe in one of your posts) of the gypsy issue. Do you know if the area where we will be dropped off is a locale we might encounter them?

Thank-you,

Betty

We are arriving in CPH mid afternoon on June 11th and sailing on the Eurodam on June 12th. We don't have a lot of time for touring but would like to see Tiviloi at night (possibly dinner) I heard that there is an admission fee even if you just wish to see the lights. If so how much can we expect to pay for admission? What about $$$ for dinner. We are thinking of taking the canal cruise on the 12th prior to boarding the Eurodam. Not sure what we will do with our luggage prior to boarding. We are booked in at a No Tell Motel (The Hotel Cabinn Express) as there does not seem to be any hotels available in all of CPH on the 11th of June.

Any information that you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thx

Joan

Hello Chezcarp: I realize that Cruising in Europe can probably tell you more about the location of these people than I can, but please dont let the worry of crime ruin your trip in Copenhagen. Its been my experience that you are highly unlikely to be the victim of a robbery or aggravated robbery in this area of Europe. Most of the crime that you will encounter is petty theft and pickpockets. Just be aware of your surroundings and keep a careful watch on your valuables. Men should put there wallets in their front pants, pockets or even better a front button up shirt pocket. Ladies should use a good purse with a good secure top zipper, and a good strap, but when in a crowd keep these close to the body because many times Ive seen the bottoms of purses cut open with a razor blade and the contents stolen. If you should encounter a group of these people dont talk to them but dont let them intimidate you either. I recommend a good hard stare and calmly walking away.

Jen,

We are flying from ATL to CPH, arriving Monday AM, June 15, and checking into SAS Royal (early check-in). That evening we would like to take a short walk to a casual restaurant for wine and quiet sandwich, burger, etc. I have considered Hard Rock Cafe in Tivoli because of the American menu, but doubt it's quiet. What do you recommend?

Also, we are sailing on the Azamara Journey on June 18 and have arranged for a limo to take us to the port. I have read (I believe in one of your posts) of the gypsy issue. Do you know if the area where we will be dropped off is a locale we might encounter them?

Thank-you,

Betty

HRC is definately NOT going to be quiet. LOL. That is kind of the anti-theme of the restaurant.

There are PLENTY of great little cafes and restaurnts in Tivoli though if you want something nice. Otherwise, a short walk in ANY direction will bring you to tons of restaurnts in that area.

They gypsies are present all over CPH, but there tends to be more crime (of opportunities) at the Langeline piers. Tourists, as a rule, are pretty stupid and careless with their belongings.

Be a smart traveller - and you won't have any problems.

Enjoy your time!

We are arriving in CPH mid afternoon on June 11th and sailing on the Eurodam on June 12th. We don't have a lot of time for touring but would like to see Tiviloi at night (possibly dinner) I heard that there is an admission fee even if you just wish to see the lights. If so how much can we expect to pay for admission? What about $$$ for dinner. We are thinking of taking the canal cruise on the 12th prior to boarding the Eurodam. Not sure what we will do with our luggage prior to boarding. We are booked in at a No Tell Motel (The Hotel Cabinn Express) as there does not seem to be any hotels available in all of CPH on the 11th of June.

Any information that you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thx

Joan

yes, there is an admission fee for Tivoli. Adults are 85dkk, except on Fridays after 8pm are 125dkk (there are concerts at this time, so your entrance fee also lets you hear the concerts).

Restaurants in Tivoli range from cafes to 4 star restaurants. Don't expect any meal to be under $15.

Can't really help you with the hotel issues. CPH suffers from a severe lack of hotel rooms - and the cruise ships that come in exacerbate issues greatly. Keep checking all the major hotel finders, THEN call the hotels directly to see if they have space. I always find that calling the hotel yields different results than trying to book through a 3rd party.

Hello Chezcarp: I realize that Cruising in Europe can probably tell you more about the location of these people than I can, but please dont let the worry of crime ruin your trip in Copenhagen. Its been my experience that you are highly unlikely to be the victim of a robbery or aggravated robbery in this area of Europe. Most of the crime that you will encounter is petty theft and pickpockets. Just be aware of your surroundings and keep a careful watch on your valuables. Men should put there wallets in their front pants, pockets or even better a front button up shirt pocket. Ladies should use a good purse with a good secure top zipper, and a good strap, but when in a crowd keep these close to the body because many times Ive seen the bottoms of purses cut open with a razor blade and the contents stolen. If you should encounter a group of these people dont talk to them but dont let them intimidate you either. I recommend a good hard stare and calmly walking away.

Yes - and really - these aren't your classic fairytale gypsies. They won't stand out (usually) in a crowd (no funny outfits, etc.). These are modern day gypsies (just like modern day pirates) and are basically a travelling band of pick pockets.

be smart w/ your stuff & you most likely won't have any problems. It's those that are careless that they make their $$ off of.

Travel smart and you'll be just fine.

CPH is by far one of the safest cities in the world to travel - so don't let some icky opportunists deter you at all.

I'm travelling with my parents who are both over 60 and we are not great fan of amusement park. I've read somewhere here suggested that Tivoli is best visit at night with all the lights and fireworks and without those in the day it's just another Disneyland. I'm wondering if there would be any light show or fireworks in Tivoli in July under the 24-hour daylight and wherether it worths a visit if there is none.

You have to go further north to sweden and norway to see the 24 hour daylight so you will see the lights at Tivoli.

The times for the Illuminati lightshow in july is 23:30 and friday and saturday is 00:15.

According to Tivolis website the fireworks is only 8th of april, 15th of august and 20th of september.

Dear CrusinEurope - We will be in Copenhagen for a little over two weeks in June with students from Union College in upstate New York, studying health care. We have a choice of two apts to rent - one is along the canal, on Nyhavn and the other on Lovstraede, which would be nearer to my husband's office and the students. How do the two areas compare? Grocery stores nearby, cafes, etc. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

We did spend one day last August in Copenhagen when on the Baltic Cruise on the Constellation. The weather was somewhat rainy so we are looking forward to spending time there.

Thanks, Vicky

CruisinEurope........how kind and patient you are to help us all this time. I cannot go

back through 53 pages of posts to get my answer, so here's my question!

We are sailing on 13 Sep from the Freeport Terminal. We'll, I assume, have to take

a taxi from our airport hotel to the pier, check in on the ship, and another taxi in to

town. Getting back to the ship, I assume, will also be by taxi. I understand why we

have to dock there, but it seems awfully expensive and inconvenient. Are taxis our

best way to go? Are there any shuttles available even to the train station? I've read

that the taxis take American credit cards, but is that a viable choice for payment?

As you are a resident and not a tourist, I don't know how much information you have

regarding sailing from Freeport instead of the wonderful pier with shops etc.

Thanks for all your help to everyone.

Mimi

Just wondering how far the lejre experimental center/land of legends is from copenhagen. Would we be able to go there while in port for just one day? I noticed it was on the copenhagen card that also includes public trasportation.

We are planning on doing one of the bus/canal tours that you can get while in Copenhagen. My question is do any of these tours, stop at any of the attractions, to take pictures or such, or is it more of a drive by in a bus. I am not talking about ther HoHo plan, just a bus tour (about 2 1/2 hours). Like do they stop at the 'Mermaid' for a photo op, or the Palace for the changing of the guard etc.

Archived