I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Danish Viking - DS found out he will be living at Hammerensgade 3; 1267 Copenhagen K in the fall. We were hoping you could recommend hotels near this location. The website for the building states that it is located near The Little Mermaid. We haven't had much luck with Mapquest but, we were thinking of either Radisson SAS or Hotel Twentyseven. Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Thank you for all your help. Can you give me directions to a wine store in downtown Copenhagen? We will be there for 3 nights before boarding our ship and would also like to take some onboard for our R&R after long days sightseeing. Wine store or grocery. We are staying at Hotel 27.

This may be in previous posts, but what train route should I take to see both Frederikborg Castle and Kronborg Castle on Tuesday 14 July? Any thoughts on how long this would take? It appears that CPH card says we can do the train for free. Is this correct?

Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped make our recently-ended trip great! A few notes relevant to this thread:

1. The Nordhavn train station is a reasonable walk to the Freeport cruise ship dock if you don't have a lot of luggage. The #26 bus that goes to Freeport will get you within a 5-10 minute walk from the ship. We walked with our luggage from the DFDS Oslo ferry dock to Freeport, which took about 30 minutes, but taking the bus would have been easier.

2. The DFDS ferry is a great way to travel between Oslo and Copenhagen--the price is right, the ship is nice and well run, the food is good and its duty-free store is amazing.

3. The Marriott is an excellent hotel that is a 15 minute walk to Tivoli and the central train station. Other than not including breakfast in the Priceline rate we got, it was a great place to stay. It was easier to grab a $5-7 breakfast at the train station then spend $40 at the hotel. There was free coffee and fruit available at the hotel, but the coffee disappeared quickly on mornings when large tour groups were checking out.

4. The Kastrup airport Hilton where we spent our last night is exceptionally convenient if you're catching a morning flight. The train's airport stop is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

5. We had excellent meals at Det Lille Apotek, Riz Raz (great vegetarian buffet), and the Nimb Sunday brunch--the latter is really special.

6. Don't miss Tivoli--there was more going on there at night and it was more impressive looking then. It does seem a bit overloaded with restaurants.

7. The Danish public transportation system is wonderful and reliable. I am envious.

8. We bought a 3 day Copenhagen card, and used it to go to Tivoli three different times, see many different museums and take long side trips by train to Roskilde to see the cathedral and the impressive Viking Ship Museum, as well as to Humlebaek to the wonderful Louisiana art museum.

9. Richard Karpen's walking tours are inexpensive and worthwhile.

10. The Little Mermaid must be the most overrated tourist attraction anywhere. Our Copenhagen favorites were Rosenborg Slot and the Danish Resistance Museum.

11. Be aware of bicycles.

12. The Danes must be the most attractive people in the world.:D

Les

@ taximom

The street is located just under the kastellet fortress so you are in the city center, the hotels you are naming is located in the southern part of downtown C openhagen but the city is easy to navigate.

But maybe you have to concider Ascot or Quality Hotel Østerbro because they are located close to hammerensgade.

@ Savannahrose

There is a wine store located on Kongens Nytorv near Magasin department store.

@ dance4fun

First you have have to take S-train line e towards Hillerød from track 9 or 10 from the central station.

From Hillerød you just take Lokalbanen to Helsingør, the train goes every hour at xx:00.

Now you just take the Øresund train back to Copenhagen.

@ taximom

The street is located just under the kastellet fortress so you are in the city center, the hotels you are naming is located in the southern part of downtown C openhagen but the city is easy to navigate.

But maybe you have to concider Ascot or Quality Hotel Østerbro because they are located close to hammerensgade.

@ Savannahrose

There is a wine store located on Kongens Nytorv near Magasin department store.

@ dance4fun

First you have have to take S-train line e towards Hillerød from track 9 or 10 from the central station.

From Hillerød you just take Lokalbanen to Helsingør, the train goes every hour at xx:00.

Now you just take the Øresund train back to Copenhagen.

Thanks for the advice

@ taximom

How is Ascot Hotel? There's Ascot Hotel and Apartments. What is the difference between two? Are they in walking distance from Cental Station? I mean walking with luggage.

Thank you.

P.S. Hows' "Thank you" in Danish?

I really don't know the difference but i think that a website like tripadvicer is very helpful, the hotel is in walking distance from Østerport train station but not central station.

Thank you is translated to mange tak (directly translated into many thanks)

I really don't know the difference but i think that a website like tripadvicer is very helpful, the hotel is in walking distance from Østerport train station but not central station.

Mange tak, Danish Viking. We will be in Copenhagen tomorrow. Your advice has helped us very much.

How is Ascot Hotel? There's Ascot Hotel and Apartments. What is the difference between two? Are they in walking distance from Cental Station? I mean walking with luggage.

Thank you.

P.S. Hows' "Thank you" in Danish?

We booked one night at the Ascot Hotel. This is the day we disembark from the Emerald. It seems like a decent location and the price was right.

Danish Viking, you said the hotel is near the Østerport train station. From looking at the map, did you mean Vesterport? This looks like it would be in walking distance of the Ascot. Do you think it's a reasonable walk with luggage as a way of getting to the airport the next morning. Also, we need to be at the airport by 8:00 AM. What time should we leave the hotel if were taking the train versus if we are taking a taxi. This will be a Thursday morning.

Ascot Hotel in the heart of Copenhagen

kort[2].jpg

Thanks,

Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped make our recently-ended trip great! A few notes relevant to this thread:

1. The Nordhavn train station is a reasonable walk to the Freeport cruise ship dock if you don't have a lot of luggage. The #26 bus that goes to Freeport will get you within a 5-10 minute walk from the ship. We walked with our luggage from the DFDS Oslo ferry dock to Freeport, which took about 30 minutes, but taking the bus would have been easier.

2. The DFDS ferry is a great way to travel between Oslo and Copenhagen--the price is right, the ship is nice and well run, the food is good and its duty-free store is amazing.

3. The Marriott is an excellent hotel that is a 15 minute walk to Tivoli and the central train station. Other than not including breakfast in the Priceline rate we got, it was a great place to stay. It was easier to grab a $5-7 breakfast at the train station then spend $40 at the hotel. There was free coffee and fruit available at the hotel, but the coffee disappeared quickly on mornings when large tour groups were checking out.

4. The Kastrup airport Hilton where we spent our last night is exceptionally convenient if you're catching a morning flight. The train's airport stop is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

5. We had excellent meals at Det Lille Apotek, Riz Raz (great vegetarian buffet), and the Nimb Sunday brunch--the latter is really special.

6. Don't miss Tivoli--there was more going on there at night and it was more impressive looking then. It does seem a bit overloaded with restaurants.

7. The Danish public transportation system is wonderful and reliable. I am envious.

8. We bought a 3 day Copenhagen card, and used it to go to Tivoli three different times, see many different museums and take long side trips by train to Roskilde to see the cathedral and the impressive Viking Ship Museum, as well as to Humlebaek to the wonderful Louisiana art museum.

9. Richard Karpen's walking tours are inexpensive and worthwhile.

10. The Little Mermaid must be the most overrated tourist attraction anywhere. Our Copenhagen favorites were Rosenborg Slot and the Danish Resistance Museum.

11. Be aware of bicycles.

12. The Danes must be the most attractive people in the world.:D

Les

What a great post. I find Det Lille Apotek on line. It looks like a very nice restaurant. Is all the transportation to Roskilde and Humieback included with the Copenhagen card?

And other tips or suggestions. I am going for 4 days on beginning Labor Day. Do the restaurants serve tap water and is there a charge for that?

Finally, where can the Copenhagen card be purchased at the airport?

[font=Arial Black Be aware of bicycles.

This is very true. My aunt was run down by a guy on a bike, though she did step in front of him. Kind of her fault, but then again, the biker should have kept a better distance. Anyhow, bikes are everywhere, and they have their own section of the road to ride. Keep off the bike route, it's not for pedestrians, and be mindful of bicycles.

1. The Nordhavn train station is a reasonable walk to the Freeport cruise ship dock if you don't have a lot of luggage. The #26 bus that goes to Freeport will get you within a 5-10 minute walk from the ship.

We were considering this bus to get to the Eurodam, but I read recently that this bus doesn't run on the weekend. Is that true for our date?

Thanks for your help. I've enjoyed and benefited from the many postings.

HELLO BK WRM: All of the posts that Ive read on this forum say the bus 26 does not go to Freeport on the weekends. It looks like the train or taxi for us. My wife, daughter, and I are on your cruise, and I guess well see you onboard.

It appears that the only reservation times available at the Copenhagen Ice Bar are at 11 or 11:30 no matter what day I put in (like I tried everyday in August just for the heck of it). Weird. I went ahead and reserved the 11:30 time. Our family of four is going on August 11th (RCCL Jewel of the Seas). How feasible is it to take public transportation to the Ice Bar and then head off to Rosenberg Castle before returning to the ship by 4 for a 5 pm departure? I know it will be difficult to get our 20 and 16 year old sons off the ship at 8, so, because of time constraints, I am limiting our sights. I would love to fit in a Canal Boat ride (blue) if possible plus the Little Mermaid. Do you think we will regret not going to Tivoli Gardens? I read that the Ice Bar is a short walk from a HOHO stop, bus #26, or about a 20 minute $40 taxi ride from the ship. How close is the castle to the Ice Bar? I am trying to be economical which everyone knows is a bit difficult when cruising but worth trying. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Had read the first 4 pages and then noticed the thread on page 64 ! so can someone tell me the cost of a taxi from the Airport to the Cruise port ? ... also has anyone taken the train from the airport to cruise port? if so how much is the fare?

Hi AdventureFan,

I used www.icebarcph.com and clicked on "Book Now". Let me know what time choices you are offered.

In case you are interested the site for the Stockholm Ice Bar is www.nordicseahotel.se/en/The-hotel/Food-and-drink/Absolut-Icebar-Stockholm. Their reservations require payment in advance which is done on-line. They allow for a 45 minute visit versus the 30 minutes in Copenhagen. The only time slot usually available, because of the cruise ship tours, is 12:45.

I am just wondering which of the two Ice Bars is easiest for tourists to access on their own while seeing the rest of the sights of each city.

Good luck and have fun!

Happy Cruising!

Some time ago I asked you about the walking tours conducted by 'Hans Christian Andersen' of Copenhagen. At the time you were not aware of this person and I wondered if now you know more about his tours?

I believe you are referring to the walking tours by Richard Karpen (dressed as Hans Christian Anderson). I've read good reviews and he's highly touted by Rick Steves.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/scan/karpen.htm

This is his website:

http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

We plan on taking one of his tours if time permits. He offers different tours on different days and the prices seem very reasonable.

Hope this helps.

I believe you are referring to the walking tours by Richard Karpen (dressed as Hans Christian Anderson). I've read good reviews and he's highly touted by Rick Steves.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/scan/karpen.htm

This is his website:

http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

We plan on taking one of his tours if time permits. He offers different tours on different days and the prices seem very reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with Richard's walking tours but I was curious about his popularity within Copenhagen. That is why I posed the question to the person who started this thread, CruisinEurope.

Indeed Richard as 'Hans Christian Andersen' is a very knowledgable and interesting figure around town, but, of course, he relies on travelers like us rather than entertain the locals. We took his tour through the Latin district and found him to be funny, full of good information, and he even asked the locals about their opinions as we stopped at different places.

I would recommend one of his tours to those going to Copenhagen. Take a look at his web site; it kind of tells the story.

What a great post. I find Det Lille Apotek on line. It looks like a very nice restaurant. Is all the transportation to Roskilde and Humieback included with the Copenhagen card?

And other tips or suggestions. I am going for 4 days on beginning Labor Day. Do the restaurants serve tap water and is there a charge for that?

Finally, where can the Copenhagen card be purchased at the airport?

The duck at Det Lille Apotek (a regular menu item) was the best we've had anywhere. Make a reservation in advance--we got lucky, as we walked in at 6:30 PM and got the only table not pre-reserved for that evening.

Tap water is free.

Train transportation to Roskilde and Humlebaek (as well as Helsingor) is included on the Copenhagen Card.

There is a prominent tourist information booth at the airport (look for the Information sign) that sells the Copenhagen Card, provides many free brochures and gives helpful advice.

I agree with LairBear on Richard Karpen. Excellent, inexpensive tours.

Les

Hi Greek50,

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, when I visit the site in Copenhagen, I don't get the Book Now button. So, I can't seem to book this one in advance. And, I guess I waited too long for the one in Stockholm - their earliest time is when I need to get back to the ship. I guess I'll keep trying for Copenhagen to see what I can send them an e-mail or something.

Good luck with your trip to the IceBar! And, thanks again!

Archived