Ports that Should be taken off Itinerary List?

n2cruisin2

Glad you mentioned Key West...I forgot to put that one on my favorite port list that I love to go to and could go there every year...always reminds me of a combination of Bermuda and New Orleans mixed together!!!

This hurts my soul. :( Cartagena has such a wonderful history, nice people and outstanding attractions - it is truly one of the more unique ports of call in the Caribbean / Northern South America.

Many people only get off the ship and go shopping, they don't see the country or meet any of the locals, only the aggressive shop keepers.

I'd have to say Ensenada, Mexico, probably because we've been there so many times on short cruises. Except, the good part is that we stay onboard the ship while most leave and we have the place to ourselves :)

Ports should never be eliminated. If you don't like a port - pick a different cruise. If cruise lines started eliminating ports then the remaining ports would be so crowded that you wouldn't like them anymore either.

Also, I find it funny when people complain about a port like Belize and when you ask them what they saw they say that they only walked around the port area. Of course your not going to like Belize if you don't go see it. It's just like someone saying they don't like the USA because they spent 5 hours walking around Detroit once. Maybe if you do your homework and travel for 20 minutes you might notice you actually like the place.

That's only in the port area where the ships dock. If you took a taxi to Majahual, a small village on the beach nearby, it was a totally different area.

Costa Maya was my favorite port because of Majahual. I loved hanging out at Pez Quardo and I knew it was a great spot because crew members from the ships in port were hanging there also! You know since they visit these island week after week they know all the good spots. The town was like a small easy going village on the beach. However, I'm hearing that alot of the mom and pop people were not able to rebuild.

Love Majahual & Pez Quadro although Tapas for food and there's good snorkeling out past the reef before the party really gets started.

It reminds me a lot of the kind of primitive beach party you can have at Zihuatanejo. Although I've been to Coz several times, I always have a good time there.

That being said, life is too short and the world is to big to keep going back to the same places. Now on each cruise we try to see new ports and try new excursions; ziplining, cave tubing, been there done that.

If there's one Port I'd drop it's Key West; it's just a mini Galveston where I work every day. Nothing wrong with it, just the same old same old.

I agree with the previous posters that are fed up with Nassau - dirty and nothing to do. I could also do without Grand Cayman - The previous post that compared it to Florida was right on.

I found Curacao pretty uninspiring, but I must admit we were there when it was so hot we didn't really get to do much exploring - I would give it another chance before dismissing it.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed all the other ports I've been to and would go back in a minute, expecially Aruba and Saint Maartin.

I even enjoyed Ocho Rios (but that was several years ago) - from more recent posts, it sounds that it has gone downhill in terns of safety - That is a shame. Dunn's river falls is beautiful.

I could do without ever going to Montego Bay again...
My friend and I almost got mugged there...thats the only reason....I agree with alot of posters anywhere the ship goes is fine with me...some I prefer more than others. Rather than take some away I would like to add some island (smaller islands) to an itinerary such as the San Blas Islands!:D

Andy

I could do without ever going to San Juan again. My experience was that the people were extremely rude, and it was very dirty, IMO.

But, I don't think it should be eliminated as a port...I don't think any port should be eliminated unless it's unsafe. Just because I didn't enjoy San Juan, doesn't mean other people don't, so it should still be included for those who want to cruise there.

I will be stopping in San Juan for the third time next year, and it doesn't bother me, because I use it as a day to enjoy an empty ship. It's not that easy for me to avoid an itinerary I'm not happy with, because I don't fly, so that leaves me with limited cruises out of my area.

It's interesting to read this thread. I have been to most of the ports mentioned and liked every one for a different reason. Unless you do some exploring and get away from the port area, you don't really experience the port. Of course, I do have my favorites and some I could live without seeing again. Key West, Sorrento and every port in Tahiti are my favorites; Ensenada and Grand Cayman probably are my least but wouldn't mind going to them again if on a planned itinerary.

This hurts my soul. :( Cartagena has such a wonderful history, nice people and outstanding attractions - it is truly one of the more unique ports of call in the Caribbean / Northern South America.

Its been a few years since we were there but our experience was a feeling of it being extremely unsafe. The shore talk basically said for people to not wonder off on their own outside the pier. If you haven't booked a tour, stay close I think were the words. We took a city tour and enjoyed it however, it was a hot day and as we got off the bus one of the guys joked, "hey, let's cross the street and grab a beer". Our tour guide immediately got upset as did the guard. No, No, you must NOT leave your tour group. They weren't upset about losing us, the tour had just started and everyone was wondering on their own, plus we had an hour or so at that location so we could easily have been back in time. They were clearly worried for our safety. Another couple in our group took a tour where, honest, among other things, the back of the bus was smashed in, they hit something and were scared to death by the time they got back to the ship.

I don't think that whether or not I like a port is any reason for it to be removed from itineraries. There are always people who like it and for whom it should be available.

In all of my cruises I have two ports that I really disliked. One is Cannes, France which I chose to make a sea day for me on my last cruise there having been there twice before. The other is Recife, Brazil which I felt was a port that once was enough. Another sea day.

Lanzarotte in the Canary Islands especially on a summer Sunday - hotter than hades and nothing open.

BTW I adored Lanzarotte. The formation of the land looked like a trip to the moon. The city was the most spotlessly clean place that I have ever seen.

Fran

I wasn't too crazy about Acapulco although we did have a blast. They have just had many problems there due to the drugs and some tourists have been killed. Too big of a city also -

I never saw ensenada - they were serving swan creme puffs that day in the dining room. :)

I don't think they should be removed but those I don't care for personally are:

Alcapulco - the vendors were the worst ever! Following you and not letting up till we got back on board the ship and

Roatan - is VERY crack infested.

That said this is so personal a thread. I love Progresso and can't wait to go back because the people were REAL not like Cozumel. I really LOVE Cozumel though as an AWESOME scuba diving port as well as Grand Cayman. I like Jamaica for the snorkeling - the water is nice. I would do a tour there for safety and stay close to the ship as in not take a tour to Ochos Rios if docked in Montego Bay. Got a Suburban with another couple in Maztalan and had a personal tour that included horeback riding on the beach with Ginger's Horses that was great! Like others said - if you are going to see new stuff and not just drink these and all ports can be quite interesting. I like redoing ports because you can't possibly see and do everything in the short time you are there only once.

Debbie

Good list here. Now we stopped at Caracas back about 10 years ago. I know the political climate has changed a lot. We liked seeing the landscape as it was different than most Caribbean Islands. I know we won't ever go back but glad we went once. We went with the tour which was about 15 buses from the Cruise ship and numerous people had their pockets picked. I always thought Jamaica was bad about people hassling you but Caracas was even worse. I read that Jamaica now is much worse than ever and most people do not at all want to return. Still I know of people who live the all inclusives and go often.

The first time we went to Jamaica was 20 yrs ago and I don't see wanting to go back. First time we had rough seas and had to skip Mo Bay for Ocho Rios & were with a large travel group of 250+ people & had a travel agent with us and we said "can't we just rent mopeds like we did in Cozumel ?" She said "NO WAY" as soon as we left the ship we knew why with all the guards with machine guns around the port terminal. Along the bus tour we was saw one guy chasing another guy with a machete . I also had a buddy that went there several years ago and rented a car, BIG Mistake. He & his friend were basically kidnapped for most of a day and told they had to buy drugs (weed) they thought several times it was all over, guy jumped in back of rental car with knife and made them drive up in to the hills. 7 hours later they were set free sans the rental car and all their money.

Haven't been to Bermuda or Turks but other than that I totally agree with this list. I have no real desire to go back to the Caribbean much less the Western.

OK...let me see...ports that I have been to that I would not want to go back to on another cruise...

1. Caracas, Venezuela AKA La Guaira, Venezuela

2. Jamaica - all ports

3. Haiti - Labadee

4. Grenada

5. San Juan, Puerto Rico

6. Martinique

On the other hand, I have been to the following ports and look forward to going back again and again

1. Bermuda - All Ports

2. Aruba

3. Cayman Islands

4. St Maarten

5. St Thomas / St John

6. Turks / Caicos

i wouldn't mind never going back to jamaica or grand bahama ever again. although for the right price i would take an itinerary with those ports but just stay on board.

grand cayman didn't tickle me either but probably because we had bad weather and nothing special planned. we'll be there again in December and will try to see more of it.

St. Maarten.

Granted we've only completed one cruise, but none in our party liked this port of call. Just my opinion.

Ah! That's because you have never experienced the lobster salad at Antoines, with an ocean view, beautifully prepared and cheap. Restaurant has been there for 60 years.......lovely.

or

Enjoyed the cheapest and most delicious pina colada around at the Holland House or Pasanghrahan.......

or

Rented a car for the day and driven over to the French side (St. Martine) to Grand Case beach.......best on the island......

OK...let me see...ports that I have been to that I would not want to go back to on another cruise...

1. Caracas, Venezuela AKA La Guaira, Venezuela

2. Jamaica - all ports

3. Haiti - Labadee

4. Grenada

5. San Juan, Puerto Rico

6. Martinique

On the other hand, I have been to the following ports and look forward to going back again and again

1. Bermuda - All Ports

2. Aruba

3. Cayman Islands

4. St Maarten

5. St Thomas / St John

6. Turks / Caicos

To each his own.

We had a great time in Monego Bay, [Jamaca]. We went rafting down the 'Grand River', I believe they called it, it was all of five feet deep, this was one of our most memorable tours. We had no problems in Jamaca.

Grenada. A great ride on a catamaran, would do it again if we stopped there. Again no problems.

Cayman Islands. Too crowded, cruise eight ships in, do the math.

Aruba. 'Dullsville', the natural arch alas, is no more, the island as flat as a pancake. Shopping OK.

The other 'would not go back to ports' we have not been to.

Other 'return to ports' ok, have not been to Turks/Caicos.

john

We went to Montego Bay and found the people to be aggressive in pushing their wares particularly marijuana and the area to be dirty. Considering they are among the poorest in the Caribbean, that is no surprise. The crime their is out of control. You just are not all that safe.

The last time we were there we stayed onboard the ship. We have stayed onboard at other ports (read cayman) and had the ship to ourselves. On not this time. The ship was crowded. Evidentally quite a few said no.

So they can leave Jamaica off until they solve their crime problem and aggressiveness.

Cayman has a problem with being too popular. When you have five+ ships in port, it is extremely crowded. Not much fun, which is why we generally stay onboard.

I have been to Grand Turk on a diving trip. It boggles my mind why any ship would stop there. The island is 6 miles long and 1 mile wide! What on earth does one do there? THey don't even have a decent beach.

So:

Jamaica is definitely out

Cayman AYOR (too many crowds)

Grand Turk - what!!

POC that should be taken off Itny?

First I would agree with others that no POC's should be removed! If you have been there and don't want to see it again, Stay Onboard!

(remember...

It's ALL GOOD,

you are on a cruise!!):D

Now my favorite Port...

Grand Turks- Clean, beautiful beach,

The water was the best I've ever seen, anywhere!!:)

Other than a few shops & Jimmy Buffet's Margarittaville it is just a BEACH/Excursion Day! We LOVED it!

Have also been to ...

Ocho Rios-must say, if you don't like to be bombarded with "local" culture, u might stay on the ship!If you have been you will know what I mean!;)

Grand Caymen- was ok-pretty and clean in the city. Rode the "local" bus to Hell and back! "Hell" is a tourist trap, not worth the time it took to get there, to see some old gray coral reef, with a wooden devil peeking out at you!

Must say been to Nassau 4 times. If it weren't for the straw market, we would stay on ship. DD loves to get the DEAL on Coach purses, etc.

Cruising to St/THoms, St/Maarten in Sept. for DS beach wedding. Very excited! Seen some GREAT reviews from people who just returned!

Forgot to mention-Being Rerouted to Progresso Mexico, instead of Costa Maya, after a hurricane, really sucked. Made a quick trip thru the town and headed straight back to the ship! NO happenings there!!! Rented mopeds in Cozumel and had a BLAST!! Saw the whole island, & met the local police...

I can't believe that some of you don't like St. Maarten, one of my favorite islands in the Eastern Caribbean. You can't just stay in town, but have to see the whole island. I love the different cultures of Dutch and French and they have some of the best restaurants on any Caribbean island to have lunch while in port.

Some of my favorite ports are Moorea and Bora Bora, French Polynesia - Sydney, Australia - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Madeira, Portugal and Portofino, Italy.

But I will say this, to each his own, that's why we have apples and oranges.

Ginnie

Archived