Ports that Should be taken off Itinerary List?

n2cruisin2

I like to think of myself as a traveler rather than a tourist.

I haven't been anywhere in the world that I'd turn my nose up at and say I'd never go there again! That even includes Flint, Michigan! :p

I can't imagine NOT wanting to get off the ship in any port of call. Although I've been to some ports multiple times, it would take many, many, many more days before I felt that I'd seen everything and done everything there is to do.

Of course, if all you want is shopping or someplace to get drunk, then maybe staying on the ship is a good idea. There's more to a port than the area where the ship docks. If you have no curiosity or sense of adventure and no desire to see these ports, why cruise? Just find a nice hotel somewhere and sit by the pool or on the beach and eat and drink and go shopping for a week.

Me, I'll continue to get out there, see the area, meet the locals, and learn about the history and culture. I cruise because it gets me to multiple foreign places easily and relatively cheaply.

Please keep in mind that we generally do not do shore excursions. We prefer to walk around near the port area, looking at nearby historical sites, having a local lunch, checking out stores that AREN'T part of the Diamonds International cartel, lol.

On that basis, we weren't particularly fond of Sydney, Nova Scotia.

I might not go so far as to remove it, but I thought Grand Cayman was kinda boring. Seemed just like being in Florida.

In all fairness, both times we were there the weather screwed us up. First time it poured down rain, and our much anticipated Reef and Wreck tour was cancelled. Actually we had the option, but since the weather stunk we opted for a refund. We just walked around the terminal area.

Second time it was stormy again, and again the water sports tours were cancelled. We took a taxi tour around the island but it's kinda boring.

I kept hearing everyone rave about how beautiful the water is, etc etc. Sadly it was just dreary both times and we didn't get to do much. If water sports are cancelled there's not much to do. I'm not saying I'd never go back, but if I do I sure hope the weather is nice.:(

JHC

Any island owned by a cruise ship line. I find them boring and a waste of time. I would much rather spend my time at another port, but I quess the cruise ship company doesn't have to pay another port to dock their ship there!

This hurts my soul. :( Cartagena has such a wonderful history, nice people and outstanding attractions - it is truly one of the more unique ports of call in the Caribbean / Northern South America.

I'm with you. One of the nicest days I've ever spent on shore was in Cartagena! We got a taxi that took us all over the place. Really great!

Least favorite--Ensenada and St Thomas, but would still pick cruise that included these ports would just stay on ship.

Favorite--St Martin going for 3rd year, have to eat at Au Petit Cafe, have the best crepes and the owner is so friendly.

Nassau dirty yucky market " can I braid your hair darlin"

St. Thomas can't believe anyone that has been on more than 1 E. Caribbean trip has not had enough of this island. To many jewelry stores with the same stuff T-shirts,post cards and shot glasses. Also Puerto Rico the most rude people ever , they seem to dislike the people that most support them and basically keep them from being a 3rd world country.

Love Alaska the people there are friendly and smile. They are on time and say thank you. Not like the Jamaicans who are always late and have that 'attitude" if I hear "15 Jamaican minutes" or "NO problem mon" one more time I am going to scream. Really we have no desire to ever go back to the Caribbean. Been there done that and there are far better places to go.

Nassau dirty yucky market " can I braid your hair darlin"

St. Thomas can't believe anyone that has been on more than 1 E. Caribbean trip has not had enough of this island. To many jewelry stores with the same stuff T-shirts,post cards and shot glasses. Also Puerto Rico the most rude people ever , they seem to dislike the people that most support them and basically keep them from being a 3rd world country.

Love Alaska the people there are friendly and smile. They are on time and say thank you. Not like the Jamaicans who are always late and have that 'attitude" if I hear "15 Jamaican minutes" or "NO problem mon" one more time I am going to scream. Really we have no desire to ever go back to the Caribbean. Been there done that and there are far better places to go.

How about all those "Don't Worry, Be Happy" comments? I've had enough of those also.

I haven't been to a lot of ports, but I've had my fill of Nassau also. We took the buggy ride the first time we went there and what a joke--15 minutes around the block, you're done, give me my tip...yeah, right. :(

If the itinerary included Nassau again, I would definitely arrange a beach trip cause the water is so clear and warm, and the sun is usually shining, and you can actually find a spot that is quiet. I know I could stay on the ship and have the pools to myself and that is an option.....:rolleyes:

Now I really, really liked a small village in Mexico (Huatulco) and Puntarenas, Costa Rica (had great tours in both ports) and there wasn't a lot of the endless hawking of street vendors.

NCTribeFan-

I wanna go cruiseing with you! You took the words right out of my mouth. How can someone say they have done a port to death? Unless an island is about the size of my living room, it isn't possible to see and do everything a place has to offer in just a few 7-8 hour stays.

I too have no interest in just looking for the closest place to the pier to get liquored up or buy cheap souvenirs. Can do that at home. I love to explore, mingle with the locals and learn something about the places I go.

Haven't met the port yet that I haven't loved.

Caracas and Jamaica get my vote.

Been there and don't want to go back.

There are a couple of others ports that I have no interest in seeing after reading reviews.

Progresso

Roatan

Ensenada

Grand Turk - There doesn't seem to be anything there accept a pool. I can use the ship if I want a pool.

I would have to say Grand Caymans, mainly because of the tendering situation and number of ships at port.

In 2005 I was there when it was seven other ships in port beside the one that I was on. It took hours to get off the ship. Our port hours were 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. I was lucky to get off by 10 a.m. However, I knew others that didn't get off until after 12:30 p.m. Once you got to shore, it was a madhouse of people! Traffic was also a mess. This was the only time that I was worried about arriving back in time. I arrived back at port at 3:10 p.m. the line for the tender was so long. We left after 5 p.m. because so many of the ship tours were caught up in the traffic jam.

I don't want to visit Ocho Rios Jamaica again mainly because one visit was enough. I did Dunn Falls and tubing. I didn't have problems with anyone there, but it was just a one time visit place to me.

Cozumel is one that I would only visit again if I was with others who never cruised and wanted to go there. Otherwise, it's a one visit port for me.

Costa Maya. Once you've been to the ruins, Costa Maya is nothing but an overpriced shopping mall in the jungle. They shouldn't have rebuilt it.

That's only in the port area where the ships dock. If you took a taxi to Majahual, a small village on the beach nearby, it was a totally different area.

Costa Maya was my favorite port because of Majahual. I loved hanging out at Pez Quardo and I knew it was a great spot because crew members from the ships in port were hanging there also! You know since they visit these island week after week they know all the good spots. The town was like a small easy going village on the beach. However, I'm hearing that alot of the mom and pop people were not able to rebuild.

Nassau.

Not that I hate it or anything, but it seems so darn hard to avoid! Surely there are other ports/potential ports in the vicinity (Eastern Carib) that could be done instead. Can't a "Bahamas" cruise go to Freeport instead? (I've never been there...maybe it's not so great, but it would be different, at least.)

Ditto Cozumel. I've enjoyed myself there, and wouldn't mind going back, but it seems like all short Western Carib. itineraries go there (and only there) Switch it up, already!

I like to think of myself as a traveler rather than a tourist.

I haven't been anywhere in the world that I'd turn my nose up at and say I'd never go there again! That even includes Flint, Michigan! :p

I can't imagine NOT wanting to get off the ship in any port of call. Although I've been to some ports multiple times, it would take many, many, many more days before I felt that I'd seen everything and done everything there is to do.

Of course, if all you want is shopping or someplace to get drunk, then maybe staying on the ship is a good idea. There's more to a port than the area where the ship docks. If you have no curiosity or sense of adventure and no desire to see these ports, why cruise? Just find a nice hotel somewhere and sit by the pool or on the beach and eat and drink and go shopping for a week.

Me, I'll continue to get out there, see the area, meet the locals, and learn about the history and culture. I cruise because it gets me to multiple foreign places easily and relatively cheaply.

AMEN! You are definitely a traveler after my own heart!

St. Maarten.

Granted we've only completed one cruise, but none in our party liked this port of call. Just my opinion.

Agree with this, was not a big fan of this port. yah Orient beach is fun but wayyy to crowded and over done.

Very interesting thread!

Difficult for me to answer. We have been to many ports, some of them at least twice. And we are island people.

If we return to a port we had been before we go on a different tour, and we always managed to enjoy. There are some ports we want to revisit and some we do not care about returning in the near future, and there are some that we'd heard about and do not care about going.

So, here it goes - remember we live on the tiny island of Bermuda and do suffer from Rock Fever often ...

Don't care about going:

Port Canaveral (we hop over to FL for 2 weeks' vacation every 2 yrs or so, thank you)

Grand Bahama (heard there's nil to do, and the ship is quite a distance from Freeport) - we'd rather go to Key West

this is all personal preference...if all the ports in this thread were removed from itineraries we would have cruises to nowhere and thats it...personally I had a great time at Montego Bay...we stayed with the group, had a great time ziplining and a nice driver who took us to Margaritavill without pestering us...but then everyone that goes on a Disney cruise loves Castaway Cay...really for us it was a day we could have slept in and stayed aboard...places that some dislike others enjoy...

Archived