Some Thoughts on Arcadia

Norfolk Brit

I don't believe that you were there - so how can you disagree? You may say your experience is different, but you can't say that mine isn't valid.

And it was appalling - it appalled me.

Bob, Sue said she did not agree, I cannot find where she said your view is not valid, just that Sue has a differing view.

Gerry

Exactly, was I there ? who knows, I do know I have just spent 16 nights on Arcadia, 14 spent in the main dining room and 1 each in AR and Orchid.with two recent previous cruises on her before that, totalling over 40 dining days....

And I am just balancing out this thread -for newbies just about to go on Arcadia and are now worried by your (unfair) comments, and MY view is I don't agree with you that the food is appalling. :cool:

Bob, they are everywhere. They were on my cruise too:eek:.

Mary

Who are they? People who actually enjoyed their cruise on Arcadia I presume you mean? People like you and Bob have names too - bloomin' moaners' who usually spend their time telling other cruisers how appalling:cool: this cruise is and spoiling their holiday...l saw a few like that onboard, and my god it dragged me down, tell the people concerned....the restaurant manager, the reception, anyone but US pleassssssssssse, and let us enjoy our cruise,

Children! Play nicely!!!

Have you considered that it may have been a different executive chef that caused the difference in standards?

We have noticed on cruises that 2 of the exec.chefs standards are really not very great.

Children! Play nicely!!!

I think Bob and I are 'playing nicely'; we are commenting specifically on deficiencies on Arcadia, and not fellow posters. I am rather surprised that one cannot offer an alternative opinion without attracting unnecessary personal unpleasantness.

Mary

I think Bob and I are 'playing nicely'; we are commenting specifically on deficiencies on Arcadia, and not fellow posters. I am rather surprised that one cannot offer an alternative opinion without attracting unnecessary personal unpleasantness.

Mary

I think all are playing nicely here, I really fail to see where there is any unecessary personal unpleasantness, please can you point it out for me?

Just differing views, surely?

Gerry

Not very polite, unless you also are firmly in denial about ill manners.

Mary

That's why I did not see it as I do not recognise that as personal unpleasantness.

I just saw that as a bit of light banter to be honest, but I respect your view.

Gerry

I don't mind listening to the occasional complaint about a ship, but constant moaning starts to :mad: me off somewhat.

So I tend to resort to sarcasm:rolleyes: On one trip, one of my tablemates said that he didn't think much of the sausages and they were just like the ones his wife bought.... so I turned to his wife, told her I thought the sausages were very nice, and would she be kind enough to tell me where she bought her sausages from?

And I think the next time I hear "Well, she's not the Oriana" six times from one person, I might respond with "Yes, I noticed that too. The first clue was spotting the name 'Arcadia' written on the bow of the ship as I boarded".

No ship or crew is perfect.....

And I am just balancing out this thread -for newbies just about to go on Arcadia and are now worried by your (unfair) comments, and MY view is I don't agree with you that the food is appalling. :cool:

Fine - you're happy with the ship.

I wasn't.

My meal was dreadful. I will continue to maintain that - as it was. And having the waiter chewing gum was a new one on me too - quite revolting. I suppose that didn't happen either?

I'm prepared to accept that we may have come across the ship on an off day - but that's about as far as I'll go.

And I've never had a serious complaint on Cunard. Almost always I have had superb experiences. Why should I return to P & O when they were so poor, when I know how good QE2 can be on the same itinerary?

I'm not a moaner at all - unless I have something to seriously moan about.

My meal was dreadful. I will continue to maintain that - as it was. And having the waiter chewing gum was a new one on me too - quite revolting. I suppose that didn't happen either?

Now I understand why post get out of control and personal.

Come on Bob, who the heck suggested you were lying.

Your reaction is a bit over the top.

Someone disagrees with you, no-one is saying you made it up.

Chill

Gerry

I'm prepared to accept that we may have come across the ship on an off day - but that's about as far as I'll go. BOB

Were you on Arcadia for one day then - ships visit???

Sue

I'm prepared to accept that we may have come across the ship on an off day - but that's about as far as I'll go. BOB

Were you on Arcadia for one day then - ships visit???

Sue

No. As I have said a number of times recently it was a two nighter to Brugge. But don't bring out the "it isn't fair to judge a ship on a two night trip" because I've done the very same trip on RMS Queen Elizabeth 2. And that was up to the normal standards.

Sorry to continue this thread (although I quite liked the Arcadia), but the carrots- when they appeared - on the Ventura were frozen ones and we had the croquet potatoes (frozen) too.

We didn't see much green veg, but the Leeks were fresh, as were the corgettes, but I am not sure about the Broccoli.

I must say, I was surprised at the frozen carrots, although one night we have fancy little ones in their original form with green bits on!!!

I think the meals they prepare for the numbers in the timescales they do, aren't bad, they can vary and it does tend to be very british, almost school type fare, but it must be OK, as I put on half a stone!!!!

However, I wouldn't expect it in Rhodes or White Room!

Kate

K8T, as you've been prepared to come off the fence, I'll be brave as well. Much of the food on Arcadia is as described by the OP - desperately and depressingly average, with far too much use made of frozen products, poor ingredients, and poor cooking. If they can't cater properly for 2,000 people perhaps they shouldn't sell, and profit from, 2,000 tickets. And no, nobody (including the OP if you read the posts carefully) expect it to be of Rhodes' standard.

It's unfortunate that someone has the courage to post an honest and witty review, pinpoints the things they liked as well as those they didn't, remained pleasant and light-hearted under some fairly severe provocation, and are then almost accused of making it up, and being rude. Get a sense of humour. It's patently obvious that many of the OP's remarks were meant to be taken in jest, but that there was a serious message underlying them. And I agree with it.

I greatly enjoyed your Ventura review; very useful for those travelling with families, and I hope P & O take your remarks on board.

Annie

Thats all well and good, just remember there are people on here who are about to cruise for the first time on Arcadia - or other ships, and saying the food is appalling will really spoil their excitement.

It is not appallling, thats all I'm saying

I have as much right to say that as Bob?

Thats all well and good, just remember there are people on here who are about to cruise for the first time on Arcadia - or other ships, and saying the food is appalling will really spoil their excitement.

Of course.

But I can't see why we should not be honest in our views because someone who is about to join the ship might have their excitement spoilt. Surely it is just as likely that someone who is about to book might look elsewhere?

You're clearly obsessive in your devotion to P&O, and if that makes you happy then I'm not going to deny you that.

But I will maintain you're getting less than you would on a better line in terms of food.

You have NOT just said the food is not appalling. Re-read your posts. In your mission to reassure people who are about to cruise for the first time on Arcadia you have been perfectly happy, by inference, to argue with facts presented by others by suggesting that they are plain wrong. Not very nice really, but others may now draw their own conclusions.

The purpose of this forum is not just to say what people want to hear, but to assist people to make an informed decision about whether a ship is the right one for them.

Annie

I come bearing a white flag - so please go easy.

I am new to P&O and reading this review does concern me. My fiancée and I have just booked a weeding on Arcadia for 2009 and already we have 10 cabins booked for us and guests (so people have spent a lot of money).

These reviews about the food being "appalling" has actually quite upset my fiancée as she now thinks it will be a disaster. She thinks that we will be eating canteen style food with lumpy mash and runny custard.

But I assume that the quality of the food is relative and is not actually appalling. Appalling to me is motorway service food or fast food standard. We have cruised on "Ocean Village" and we thought the food was good, but a little unimaginative. I'm guessing the food is not as good as cunard - but then the price of the ship reflects this. (And for us, Cunard do not do weddings).

Can some one confirm, just to make my life easier and settle my fiancées nerves, that the food is not awful - it just isn't as good as Cunard or a Michelin stared restaurant. I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion and opinions are only that - opinions. But my fiancee seems to have taken this to heart and is really panicing.

Regards

Archived