Some Thoughts on Arcadia

Norfolk Brit

I think anyone can make big statements about food and the quality. I take the view that for every two or three complaints you will always get hundreds more that are positive.

Bob and Norfolk are just two posts from Thousands that post on web sites like this. To get into context. I could spend 2 mins find poor food reports on Cunard.

As someone said you are not getting top quality food to Michelin standards. (In my view not always that great) but you are getting a food which in my opinion is far better than many land based hotels that only cater for 100 - 200 people. I recently stayed at a so called 5 star hotel only to have to send the main course back due to it being burnt.

But bob and Norfolk you just keep posting, I am sure that Canard food is always tip top. Especially if you stay in a suite they always cook the food that bit better for suite passengers!!!!

As Mr Mutineer says, why pay for a suite when you get served the same fare in all restaurants.

Hey have no fear the food will be great. If you read every review on every site you would never leave your house. Having sailed on the Arcadia I have to say that the food was very good. It is not world beating but again it is not poor by and standards. Go with an open mind. You should also try Arcadian Rhodes which I very much enjoyed. Arcadia is also and excellent ship you will love it.

You will enjoy the whole thing the ship is far better than Ocean Village which I sailed on when it was with P&O. I really liked that ship!!! But now not in the same league. :)

I come bearing a white flag - so please go easy.

I am new to P&O and reading this review does concern me. My fiancée and I have just booked a weeding on Arcadia for 2009 and already we have 10 cabins booked for us and guests (so people have spent a lot of money).

These reviews about the food being "appalling" has actually quite upset my fiancée as she now thinks it will be a disaster. She thinks that we will be eating canteen style food with lumpy mash and runny custard.

But I assume that the quality of the food is relative and is not actually appalling. Appalling to me is motorway service food or fast food standard. We have cruised on "Ocean Village" and we thought the food was good, but a little unimaginative. I'm guessing the food is not as good as cunard - but then the price of the ship reflects this. (And for us, Cunard do not do weddings).

Can some one confirm, just to make my life easier and settle my fiancées nerves, that the food is not awful - it just isn't as good as Cunard or a Michelin stared restaurant. I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion and opinions are only that - opinions. But my fiancee seems to have taken this to heart and is really panicing.

Regards

We're going on Arcadia tomorrow,our fifth time on board.

We heard from P&O yesterday that there's a problem with one of the

propulsion units!!!!

So between the canteen food and the propulsion unit,should be fun.:D

propulsion units!!!!

propulsion units!!!!

Going on Arcadia next year and am not overly concerned by anything I have read here. I have an open mind and will assess things for myself.

As long as it's not Turkey Twizzlers every night I'm sure it will be OK.

Never get too hung up about other peoples reviews, just go and experience things for yourselves.

Good debate though, keep it up.

Pete.

P.S. How big a suitcase do you think I will need for 16 nights worth of Pot Noodles?

P.P.S. Anyone got any info on the refurb of Arcadia due at the end of this year?

After reading the bad reviews, I was also slightly concerned about the Arcadia before I boarded her for the first time.

However, the food in the Meredian restaurant was, apart from one meal, very good to absolutely excellent. Only once was I disappointed, and on that occasion, the meal was changed without any fuss.

Some folks have commented on the "confusing" Belvedere food court. So when I first entered the Belvedere, I walked around it for a couple of minutes, and found out for myself that it isn't at all confusing.... it just has a lot of choices!

Others have commented that the Arcadia is completely open-plan, and that there aren't nice little public rooms to hide away and relax in. Actually, there are many, many little public rooms, all of them marked on the maps given to all passengers.

Is there a noticable vibration from the azipods in the dining room? Yes there is, but it's not the slightest bit unpleasant. In fact my wife and myself actually rather like it, it's a reminder that we are in fact at sea and not in a hotel.

Others have complained that the Arcadia doesn't ride the seas too well... I've been across the Atlantic on the Arcadia, with storm force 10 winds and a 25' Atlantic swell with the occasional high wave. Arcadia rode that rough sea very well, with very little roll and only moderate pitching. According to a Holland-America Captain, the Vista class of ships (Which the Arcadia is a member of) ride rough seas better than most modern cruise ships.

Arcadia, in my opinion, is a fine ship. The other P&O ship I've been on, the Aurora, is also a fine ship. Aurora is different, better in some ways, not as good in others, but still a wonderful ship. I'd be happy to go on a cruise on either of them tomorrow.... if I really had to choose between those two, I'd rather sail on the Arcadia than the Aurora.

esuff, you'll have a wonderful time on the Arcadia... I would happily travel around the world on her.

I come bearing a white flag - so please go easy.

I am new to P&O and reading this review does concern me. My fiancée and I have just booked a weeding on Arcadia for 2009 and already we have 10 cabins booked for us and guests (so people have spent a lot of money).

These reviews about the food being "appalling" has actually quite upset my fiancée as she now thinks it will be a disaster. She thinks that we will be eating canteen style food with lumpy mash and runny custard.

But I assume that the quality of the food is relative and is not actually appalling. Appalling to me is motorway service food or fast food standard. We have cruised on "Ocean Village" and we thought the food was good, but a little unimaginative. I'm guessing the food is not as good as cunard - but then the price of the ship reflects this. (And for us, Cunard do not do weddings).

Can some one confirm, just to make my life easier and settle my fiancées nerves, that the food is not awful - it just isn't as good as Cunard or a Michelin stared restaurant. I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion and opinions are only that - opinions. But my fiancee seems to have taken this to heart and is really panicing.

Regards

You are exactly the person I was concerned about in my post above for which I'm now being slated a for...

Bob has been on a weekender, I have done 43 nights on Arcadia, A 16n cruise only a few weeks ago. Bob seems to be a Cunard man who has decided he doens't like Arcaida after a 36 hr stay on her (its not even 48hrs as you sail at 5pm and your off at 9am ) Its up to you now to decide which comments you want to take onboard.

But I want to reassure you that Arcadia is a lovely ship with fine food,

I have been to a wedding onboard last year and a renewal of vows this year in the Viceroy room which was conducted by the Commodore, any questions you have on the ship or weddings, please email me anytime

regards

Sue

libralass41@aol.com

My album of Arcadia can be found on the web if interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

In April we did the last sector of the world cruise from Los Angeles to Southampton. In my opinion to food was not quite as good as as that served on P&O ships and we have done 108 nights with P&O on various ships including Arcadia. We expected the Cunard experience to be much better than P&O but were sadly disappointed, not just with the food but other aspects as well. Mind you we were only in the Mauretania restaurant. I suppose if you are in the Grills, where the food is reputed to be individually cooked, then it may be better, at a cost. Even so on the basis of cost per night it made it the most expensive cruise we have taken. We have also tried Royal Caribbean and Costa but we keep coming back to P&O as we have yet to find any other cruise line better

Brian

Thank you Sue and Mr Vampire (sorry forgot your proper name - my memory is useless!) You comments have definately help calm my fiancee down a tad. We're not expecting Gordon Ramsey style cooking on the ship just good food and a fun time.

Sue you photos are lovely, we have booked a mini suite for ourselves and are really looking forward to it.

Sue from all of the photos we have seen the Viceroy room always looks a little "tired and small" is it better when you are actually there?

Regards

Esuff (who will hopefully sleep better now)

You are exactly the person I was concerned about in my post above for which I'm now being slated a for...

Bob has been on a weekender, I have done 43 nights on Arcadia, A 16n cruise only a few weeks ago. Bob seems to be a Cunard man who has decided he doens't like Arcaida after a 36 hr stay on her (its not even 48hrs as you sail at 5pm and your off at 9am ) Its up to you now to decide which comments you want to take onboard.

But I want to reassure you that Arcadia is a lovely ship with fine food,

I have been to a wedding onboard last year and a renewal of vows this year in the Viceroy room which was conducted by the Commodore, any questions you have on the ship or weddings, please email me anytime

regards

Sue

libralass41@aol.com

My album of Arcadia can be found on the web if interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

Sue, don't let get Bob get to you, his review carries very little weight in comaprison to someone who has travelled as extensively on Arcadia as your good self.

Cheers

Gerry

Thank you Sue and Mr Vampire (sorry forgot your proper name - my memory is useless!) You comments have definately help calm my fiancee down a tad. We're not expecting Gordon Ramsey style cooking on the ship just good food and a fun time.

Sue you photos are lovely, we have booked a mini suite for ourselves and are really looking forward to it.

Sue from all of the photos we have seen the Viceroy room always looks a little "tired and small" is it better when you are actually there?

Regards

Esuff (who will hopefully sleep better now)

Hi Esuff,

You should have no worry at all about Arcadia, she is a beautiful ship and the meals on her are fine.

What they are not is fine dining. They are good standard meals you may get in a good restaurant on shore. They do not have Michelin stars, you would not expect that. If they were you would be paying a great deal more.

I am always very suspicious of posts which claim something is awful or appalling for if this were really the case then no TA would recommend them, and Newspapers and TV would be having a field day.

The OP, in my opinion spoiled a good review by using emotive language. It did not deserve the praise it got.

She says,

"The desserts, apart from the excellent hot option, are of the 'take it out of the freezer and defrost it' school of cookery.

Afternoon tea is simply appalling "

Well as anyone who has been on a P&O ship knows, the spread you get on the chocoholics buffet is amazing. If you do this you would not then spend money on ready made sweets.

Afternoon tea is on of the delights of a P&O cruise.

I know people on here and other boards get very upset with people who praise P&O well sorry I will do it when I think the wrong information is being given to possible cruisers.

What was wrong with saying that on the occasion we had afternoon tea it was very poor and then say why, was the tea cold? the scones stale? the cakes dry? But just saying they are appalling is setting yourself up to be criticised.

Having said all that, if you do your homework you will find that each cruise line will attract its critics, none of then are perfect. P&O is not the best cruise line in the world but what it does well is to provide a good level of food and service to many thousands of cruisers from the UK who, despite some peoples efforts, are still flocking to book future cruises.

esuff, you will have a fantastic time on your cruise, as we will in 14 days time when we sail to Venice on Arcadia.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Esuff,

She says,

"The desserts, apart from the excellent hot option, are of the 'take it out of the freezer and defrost it' school of cookery.

Afternoon tea is simply appalling "

What was wrong with saying that on the occasion we had afternoon tea it was very poor and then say why, was the tea cold? the scones stale? the cakes dry? But just saying they are appalling is setting yourself up to be criticised.

Dai

Dai, I was careful to be specific, and said the scones (which looked excellent, by the way) were served with artificial cream. In my book, this is appalling, particularly in the main restaurant.

Mary

Well I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks and must say I am dismayed at what I have read. We don't go on a cruise for the quality of the food but have you ever stopped to think just how much your food is costing you? If you discount the cost per day bed and breakfast it costs about £25 per person per day for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner and evening snacks. Where else in the world could you eat for that much at a reasonable quality? Not even in a school canteen! To say the food is not top quality is grossly unfair to the Arcadia which is a great ship. Even if it wasn't top quality so what, at that price who cares? And yes we had a suite at Xmas but that doesn't entitle you to better food, you pay for the butler service and a slightly bigger stateroom. I am happily going on Arcadia in a couple of weeks and the rubbery scones, artificial cream and frozen croquettes don't bother me as I don't eat that sort of food anyway. The fruit, salads and fish are excellent. We cruise for great destinations, sunshine and good company and a decent room to live in which is clean. Try and get all that in a 5* hotel anywhere for the same price.

In April we did the last sector of the world cruise from Los Angeles to Southampton. In my opinion to food was not quite as good as as that served on P&O ships and we have done 108 nights with P&O on various ships including Arcadia. We expected the Cunard experience to be much better than P&O but were sadly disappointed, not just with the food but other aspects as well. Mind you we were only in the Mauretania restaurant. I suppose if you are in the Grills, where the food is reputed to be individually cooked, then it may be better, at a cost. Even so on the basis of cost per night it made it the most expensive cruise we have taken. We have also tried Royal Caribbean and Costa but we keep coming back to P&O as we have yet to find any other cruise line better

Brian

I have eaten in the Mauretania, but only on the odd occasion. I always book Queens' Grill.

I'm not comparing Arcadia to Queens' Grill. That would clearly be unfair. But from my experience of the Mauretania I am perfectly happy to say that I have found it much better than the Arcadia.

As for QE2 being generally more expensive, well, she is. But nothing compares with her. She is the Bentley compared to modern cruise ship Fords......

the scones (which looked excellent, by the way) were served with artificial cream. In my book, this is appalling, particularly in the main restaurant.

Mary

where we come from we can't afford cream just jam,so the cream should be good

happycruising

Dai, I was careful to be specific, and said the scones (which looked excellent, by the way) were served with artificial cream. In my book, this is appalling, particularly in the main restaurant.

Mary

Mary,

You asked if it were artificial or did it just look artificial? It certainly has not tasted artificial to me on any P&O ship.

If it were, then say so and say the rest of afternoon tea was fine. I think it is way over the top to say that the whole of afternoon tea was appalling just because one element was not to your liking.

So if it were only the cream, then the whole of afternoon tea was not appalling. Indeed you said the scones looked excellent, did you not try them? If you did not try them how did you know the cream was artificial? A puzzle.

You see, some people have picked this up and have thought that all of the food was appalling thereby conveying this to other cruisers, and being worried themselves, which is why I will always make the points I have.

Dai

I have eaten in the Mauretania, but only on the odd occasion. I always book Queens' Grill.

I'm not comparing Arcadia to Queens' Grill. That would clearly be unfair. But from my experience of the Mauretania I am perfectly happy to say that I have found it much better than the Arcadia.

As for QE2 being generally more expensive, well, she is. But nothing compares with her. She is the Bentley compared to modern cruise ship Fords......

Bob, after your last analogy, I cannot take your reviews seriously any more.

But it did make me chuckle, thanks for that.

Gerry

Bob, after your last analogy, I cannot take your reviews seriously any more.

But it did make me chuckle, thanks for that.

Gerry

Why ever not?

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is a bespoke design, Arcadia a production line ship.

I'd have thought that was a pretty good analogy for that distinction.

Mary,

You asked if it were artificial or did it just look artificial? It certainly has not tasted artificial to me on any P&O ship.

If it were, then say so and say the rest of afternoon tea was fine. I think it is way over the top to say that the whole of afternoon tea was appalling just because one element was not to your liking.

So if it were only the cream, then the whole of afternoon tea was not appalling. Indeed you said the scones looked excellent, did you not try them? If you did not try them how did you know the cream was artificial? A puzzle.

You see, some people have picked this up and have thought that all of the food was appalling thereby conveying this to other cruisers, and being worried themselves, which is why I will always make the points I have.

Dai

Dai, I am getting a little weary of this. I specified in my 'thoughts' where some of the problems lay so that I could not be accused of making sweeping statements without substantiating them. Unfortunately, I am still being accused of this, but no matter. I missed out many specific criticisms because I thought they would become very boring. But, as there's nothing on telly at the moment I'll address your points. Please pay attention.

The cream was synthetic, ie from a factory, not a cow. The sort of stuff that was probably popular during the war. Fact. It looked like it, so I checked; it was confirmed by the staff. If you can't tell the difference, I can, as could others. The rest of afternoon tea was not fine. The cakes were either Mr Kipling or made from kits; they were not home-baked. Fact. Again, I checked. This is getting remarkably dreary, but as it appears one can only write a gushing review without having every boring little detail questioned, I shall persevere. The tea (as in what one drinks) was fine. It tasted of tea.

I did not try the scones as the accompaniments were below par. Dry scones are a little tedious.

I am not a food snob, and, as I've stated before, did not expect the food to be up to Rhodes's standards. If you like, I'll move on to dinner, but I expect by now you're as fed up as I am...

I'll end on a positive note. We enjoyed the cruise, wonderful destinations, loved the aft balcony, marvellous weather, and we met some lovely people.

Mary

Dai, I am getting a little weary of this. I specified in my 'thoughts' where some of the problems lay so that I could not be accused of making sweeping statements without substantiating them. Unfortunately, I am still being accused of this, but no matter. I missed out many specific criticisms because I thought they would become very boring. But, as there's nothing on telly at the moment I'll address your points. Please pay attention.

The cream was synthetic, ie from a factory, not a cow. The sort of stuff that was probably popular during the war. Fact. It looked like it, so I checked; it was confirmed by the staff. If you can't tell the difference, I can, as could others. The rest of afternoon tea was not fine. The cakes were either Mr Kipling or made from kits; they were not home-baked. Fact. Again, I checked. This is getting remarkably dreary, but as it appears one can only write a gushing review without having every boring little detail questioned, I shall persevere. The tea (as in what one drinks) was fine. It tasted of tea.

I did not try the scones as the accompaniments were below par. Dry scones are a little tedious.

I am not a food snob, and, as I've stated before, did not expect the food to be up to Rhodes's standards. If you like, I'll move on to dinner, but I expect by now you're as fed up as I am...

I'll end on a positive note. We enjoyed the cruise, wonderful destinations, loved the aft balcony, marvellous weather, and we met some lovely people.

Mary

Mary,

I shall enjoy checking your facts in 2 weeks time

Dai

Archived