Some Thoughts on Arcadia

Norfolk Brit

Food - pretty grim. An excellent preparation would be either an English boarding school in the 60s, or a spell in prison. On the first night in the main restaurant we were offered, and rather ungraciously declined, frozen croquet potatoes, of the type greatly enjoyed by my children when they were very small.

If you eat to live, you won't starve. If you are interested in food, or cook, and recognise cheating when you see it, you will be fascinated by the short-cuts and budgetary restraints employed. I had to be physically restrained from grabbing Gary Rhodes when he boarded and heading him off to the restaurant to do a 'Jamie Oliver's school dinners' hatchet job.

Breakfast and cold lunch in the buffet are fine, with excellent salads. The hot food looked like the Little Chef children's menu, but I did not try it, so it could have been wonderful. I rather doubt it.The desserts, apart from the excellent hot option, are of the 'take it out of the freezer and defrost it' school of cookery.

Afternoon tea is simply appalling, a shame as it's something the British often do well. In the buffet restaurant they served SYNTHETIC cream with the scones and jam:eek:. Undeterred, we tried the main restaurant; sadly, it's in there too. They have obviously bought tons of the stuff, which also appears with depressing regularity in the cakes and desserts. I can give many other examples of the horrors, but have probably said enough.

Fellow Passengers - 99.9% British, as expected, with a small smattering of Australians. We greatly missed the international mix of passengers found on Cunard, but to be expected on P&O.

Service - superb, particularly in the bars, better than Cunard. But you can't eat the staff. This may be because of P&O's policy of tipping individually at the end of the cruise, it may be because they're better trained and monitored.

The Commodore arrived at all our destinations in the right order, and on time, so presumably is good at navigating. He also had a very nice voice, a plus in my book.

Dress - on formal nights nearly all the men wore dinner jacket, several with black shirt and white tie. Trust me chaps, this makes you look like a vicar in the final throes of madness. A significant minority of the ladies in full-length gowns, many cocktail-length dresses, and a plethora of what I would describe as floral print summer wedding-guest-type dresses. I was advised by two trusted regular posters on here to leave the beaded/sequined formals at home, and was very grateful that I did.

Public Rooms - we never found a bar that we loved, and we certainly tried hard. The Crow's Nest is vast and consequently has little atmosphere, and other bars, particularly the Piano Bar, were dark, rather depressing, and almost deserted before late sitting dinner.

Conclusion - we would use P&O again if the price reflected the dismal standard of catering, and the itinerary was not available elsewhere, although I doubt we would sail on Arcadia again. The way we have decided to look upon it is as a competitor to other touring holidays, for example coach and rail, and it is a most civilised way of wandering from country to country without having to unpack. However, whereas to us QE2 and QM2 are destinations in themselves, Arcadia is simply a convenient mode of transport.

Mary

"I was advised by two trusted regular posters on here to leave the beaded/sequined formals at home, and was very grateful that I did."

Well shame on you for encouraging slipping standards Mary!

Well shame on you for encouraging slipping standards Mary!

Panic not, I maintained standards, and blended in nicely. Never worn a formal dress for Bird's Eye croquet potatoes enrobed in bright orange breadcrumbs before though:).

Mary

Agree with some of your points, yes p&o is mainly Brits, esp from Southampton

Did you dine at Arcadian Rhodes or Orchid? We did, it was lovely.

A nice bar? Did you try the Orchid Bar on deck 11 with lovely views .?

Agree the Commodore is very good - he should be after a lifetime at sea. It was nice of him to invite us to his private party this cruise LOL.;)

Sue

Panic not, I maintained standards, and blended in nicely. Never worn a formal dress for Bird's Eye croquet potatoes enrobed in bright orange breadcrumbs before though:).

Mary

On a 16n cruise croquette potatoes were served once at dinner on our cruise a fortnight ago......and i doubt if they were birdseye!

I must disagree with your comparison of QE2 and Arcadia. We have recently returned from a world cruise sector on QE2 from LA to Southampton and frankly we were very disappointed as the Cunard service did not live up to ite reputation. Maybe it was because we were in the Mauretania restaurant rather than one of the more expensive restaurants but the food was plated rather than the silver service you get on P&O and vegetables were very limited. Apart from that it was comparable with P&O. The much vaunted afternoon tea in the Queens rooms was very disappointing. There was only one type of tea or coffee served out of one pot and the scones were very dry and were served with some sort of cream or jam already in. Sandwiches were invariably egg, very little choice. On Oriana six months ago, the waiter asked what type of tea you wanted (choice of six) or coffee and it was delivered freshly made in individual teapots. Fresh warm scones, plain or fruit, were available and there were individual little pots of different types of jam and clotted cream, butter on the table to select your self. There was a good selection of finger sandwiches and lots of cakes etc. There was also the option to order toasted teacakes. Much better than QE2.

I believe this enhancement has been rolled out on all P&O ships.

Brian

I must disagree with your comparison of QE2 and Arcadia. We have recently returned from a world cruise sector on QE2 from LA to Southampton and frankly we were very disappointed as the Cunard service did not live up to ite reputation. Maybe it was because we were in the Mauretania restaurant rather than one of the more expensive restaurants but the food was plated rather than the silver service you get on P&O and vegetables were very limited. Apart from that it was comparable with P&O. The much vaunted afternoon tea in the Queens rooms was very disappointing. There was only one type of tea or coffee served out of one pot and the scones were very dry and were served with some sort of cream or jam already in. Sandwiches were invariably egg, very little choice. On Oriana six months ago, the waiter asked what type of tea you wanted (choice of six) or coffee and it was delivered freshly made in individual teapots. Fresh warm scones, plain or fruit, were available and there were individual little pots of different types of jam and clotted cream, butter on the table to select your self. There was a good selection of finger sandwiches and lots of cakes etc. There was also the option to order toasted teacakes. Much better than QE2.

I believe this enhancement has been rolled out on all P&O ships.

Brian

Brian, I agree that afternoon tea in the Queen's Room on QE2 is less than perfect, and would describe the scones as rubbery, but at least they are served with cream originating in a cow and not a factory. This is why, in fact, I did not compare the two. However, this is the only thing that we found less than perfect on QE2, whereas unfortunately on Arcadia the opportunities were rather more extensive.

Afraid I can't comment on your experience in Mauretania as I've never eaten in there. However, silver service is rather immaterial if the food thus proferred is bordering on the inedible, and certainly nothing approaching the 'sophisticated dining experience' much vaunted by P&O's marketing spin department. It is all a question of expectations; I do not expect gourmet food on a cruise ship, but do expect decent quality meat and vegetables, correctly cooked.

Did you dine at Arcadian Rhodes or Orchid? We did, it was lovely.

Sue

Sue, we dined in Arcadian Rhodes four times. It was superb, and we would have eaten in there more often had it not been fully booked after Mr Rhodes embarked in Oslo.

But that's not really the point...

Mary

NorfolkBrit said, when talking about croquette potatoes:

Absolutely nothing. Except they weren't fresh.

My understanding was that cruise ships actually kept very little frozen stuff - it's generally easier & less space-intensive to take raw materials & prepare food. The most obvious example is bread, I gather - taking flour, yeast, etc, & baking fresh is more efficient than taking frozen bread (as well as producing better bread for passengers to eat). I accept that this may not apply to certain food items, e.g. fish, on longer cruises.

But I would a little surprised if a potato-based item wasn't fresh - the humble spud stores so easily and has so many uses they must have potatoes in their natural state on board.

Interestingly, I was on the LA-Southampton sector of the world cruise on QE2 mentioned above. Whilst a choice of tea isn't routinely offered, there are alternative teas available for those who ask. And this isn't just in the Queens' Grill Lounge, where you can be rather freer ordering.

I actually prefer to take tea in the Queens' Room as I feel that is is the most wonderful space I've seen on a ship. And I'm perfectly content with what is offered.

Referring back to the food. Whilst you are quite right that the Mauretania is essentially ready plated, the food is of high quality. I did actually eat in there on one occasion. I found the service good, the food good, although the attention to detail in the cooking and presentation was missing from that I normally receive in the Queens' Grill.

But there was a huge gulf between the very commendable standards in the Mauretania and the appalling standards in the restaurant on Arcadia - when my wife and I were in fact travelling in one of the most expensive suites on the ship (the grade immediately below the top grade) when had we been on a Cunarder we'd have been in one of the Grill restaurants.

You can nit pick on QE2 if you want, but there is a quality about here that is completely missing on Arcadia - in every way possible.

Oh, and Beckyfaye - you needn't worry about sharing a table with me. We have our regular table for two every time we sail.

Interestingly, I was on the LA-But there was a huge gulf between the very commendable standards in the Mauretania and the appalling standards in the restaurant on Arcadia - when my wife and I were in fact travelling in one of the most expensive suites on the ship (the grade immediately below the top grade) when had we been on a Cunarder we'd have been in one of the Grill restaurants.

Yes you suitees have to dine with us in balconies and below I'm afraid on a PandO ship.., and I totally disagree wuith the statement 'appalling standards in the restaurant on Arcadia'.....

Sue

I Agree with Sue appalling is going a little to far I have cruised on the Arcadia and other P&O ships and found the food in general to be fine.

I have been lucky to travel the world for business and have been treated to meals in some of the world best restuarants and I will now completely throw the cat amidst the pigeons and say now cruise meal I have ever had has compared to a top land based eating experience. ( I have cruised 7 times)

The reason its simple you cannot feed 2'000 pluse people in the same way you can service and provide for 35 in an exclusive restuarant

Add to that cost, in an average restuarant in London you are lucky to walk away spending less than £120 a couple do you think they are ploughing that into you meals on board a ship I think not

Its not about excepting poor standards its about being realistic for a gourment holiday I would suggest the South of France or Northern Italy were one is falling over small bistros and trattoria

The food is very important on a cruise and I think under the conditions they work in and volumes provided the staff do very well.

I suugest Mary that you stick to Cunard as you clearly like it I will be able to judge for my self next November when crossing the pond on QM2 I have heard good and bad and as always will judge for myself

I have been lucky to travel the world for business and have been treated to meals in some of the world best restuarants and I will now completely throw the cat amidst the pigeons and say now cruise meal I have ever had has compared to a top land based eating experience. ( I have cruised 7 times)

The reason its simple you cannot feed 2'000 pluse people in the same way you can service and provide for 35 in an exclusive restuarant

I have eaten in the finest dining rooms in London and other European cities and I have not found one that was superior to my best ever dining experience (food, ambience, service, etc.) which was aboard the specialtiy restaurant on Summit.

Still, if we all had the same view then it would be rather boring wouldn't it?

I have no idea how cruise ships (well Celebrity and P&O) serve up such fantastic food when they have all these people to cater for. I have never experienced that on land for sure!

Gerry

have eaten in the finest dining rooms in London and other European cities and I have not found one that was superior to my best ever dining experience (food, ambience, service, etc.) which was aboard the specialtiy restaurant on Summit.

I think the speciality restaurants can (and indeed ought to) equal the best on-shore restaurants (within the constraints of budget, chef & menu). I think what soletread was referring to was meals in the main restaurants, and I would agree with him. That doesn't mean I'm complaining, far from it, but producing 1000 meals in a sitting means that the quality isn't going to equal what can be achieved when it's 50 places in an evening.

Yes you suitees have to dine with us in balconies and below I'm afraid on a PandO ship.., and I totally disagree wuith the statement 'appalling standards in the restaurant on Arcadia'.....

Sue

I don't believe that you were there - so how can you disagree? You may say your experience is different, but you can't say that mine isn't valid.

And it was appalling - it appalled me.

I don't believe that you were there - so how can you disagree? You may say your experience is different, but you can't say that mine isn't valid.

And it was appalling - it appalled me.

Bob, they are everywhere. They were on my cruise too:eek:.

Mary

Archived