Some Thoughts on Arcadia

Norfolk Brit

Mary...

If you were unhappy about the food did you speak to the Maitre De then about it? so what was his reply?

I think (although I decided that about a week ago, and had to change my mind) I've reached my tolerance threshold on the subject of food on Arcadia. I imagine the rest of you share this view...

But yes, of course I did, Mary

I think (although I decided that about a week ago, and had to change my mind) I've reached my tolerance threshold on the subject of food on Arcadia. I imagine the rest of you share this view...

But yes, of course I did, Mary

Spot on Mary well said, and hopefully this will be the last post on the subject.

Why ever not?

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is a bespoke design, Arcadia a production line ship.

I'd have thought that was a pretty good analogy for that distinction.

:D :D :D :D

Thanks again!

Spot on Mary well said, and hopefully this will be the last post on the subject.

You are taking it on yourself to speak for everyone then?

So were is free speech that people say must be available for them to say outrageous things about ships/service/companies.

This will not be the last word on food on Arcadia, I think I am fairly safe to say.

It may be the last word on this thread:D but not on food on Arcadia.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

You are taking it on yourself to speak for everyone then?

So were is free speech that people say must be available for them to say outrageous things about ships/service/companies.

This will not be the last word on food on Arcadia, I think I am fairly safe to say.

It may be the last word on this thread:D but not on food on Arcadia.

Dai

Dai, I did not mean it like that, just meant all the insults and the like.

Don't get all excited over nothing, you will do yourself a mischief.

Take a chill pill old boy.

Regards

Gerry

PS, sorry Dai, was the only point of your post to have the last word and I have just messed it up?

PS, sorry Dai, was the only point of your post to have the last word and I have just messed it up?

Gerry,

Not at all old fellow, as far as being chilled I am almost horizontal, in fact it is almost to much of an effort to sit up and type this.:D

Dai

Gerry,

Not at all old fellow, as far as being chilled I am almost horizontal, in fact it is almost to much of an effort to sit up and type this.:D

Dai

Oh good, pleased to hear it.

Cheers

Gerry

Thank you Sue and Mr Vampire (sorry forgot your proper name - my memory is useless!) You comments have definately help calm my fiancee down a tad. We're not expecting Gordon Ramsey style cooking on the ship just good food and a fun time. No Gordon Ramsey style, but Gary Rhodes menu is onboard in AR, and was superb, do go there, we went on the evening of the renewal of vows .

Sue you photos are lovely, we have booked a mini suite for ourselves and are really looking forward to it.Thanks

Sue from all of the photos we have seen the Viceroy room always looks a little "tired and small" is it better when you are actually there? It is quite small, how many guests are you having? We were the only guests both times we were there for a wedding in 07 and renewal this year. Its not tired atall very smart. At the wedding there was a ice sculpture , email me and I'll show you some more photos?

SUE

Regards

Esuff (who will hopefully sleep better now)

You will have a fab time !

• 2 weeks later...

Esuff never fear all will be fine The Acradia will make a lovely venue for the wedding an the food is not canteen mush I assure you

I have been to many a land based wedding were the food was no were near as good as recieved on Arcadia

In fact I remember one so call society wedding were you could have soled a shoe with the beef and as shoes are my business I should know

It will be fantastic relax look forward and enjoy

I also have to state at the risk of getting my head bitten off I think this post makes very clear Sues point very negative posts can be very up setting and disappointing for people

Everyone is entitled to a view but I think it can be made to sound tempered and balanced some comments on certain cruise lines can sound just like a big dig which is fine live with it but it down to expereince and try another cruise line another time

Having just returned from two terrific weeks on the Arcadia, I can say that the food was as I remembered it to be - it varied from very good to absolutely excellent. My tablemates (two of whom enjoy the finest of fine dining) agreed with me.

Only on one occasion was the main course a disappointment; however it took just a few minutes for that to be taken away and replaced with another (very delicious) selection from the menu.

Anyone who compares Arcadia's food with "school dinners" must have gone to a very posh school.... :rolleyes:

Anyone who compares Arcadia's food with "school dinners" must have gone to a very posh school.... :rolleyes:

No, state grammar in the late 60s/early 70s. I can't imagine how anyone can compare the food on Arcadia to 'fine dining', but it takes all sorts...

No, state grammar in the late 60s/early 70s. I can't imagine how anyone can compare the food on Arcadia to 'fine dining', but it takes all sorts...

Who is comparing Arcadia to "fine dining"? My tablemates agreed that the food varied from very good to absolutely excellent. They didn't say it was "fine dining", which it wasn't - but as restaurant food, it was good to excellent.

BTW, I wish I'd gone to the same grammar school as you in the 60s/70s....at your school, did they really serve you medium rare rump steak beef Wellington, lobster termidor, goat's cheese soufflé, and scrambled egg with diced salmon? :rolleyes:

Well said!!

Arcadias food by the way, is no worse than Auroras, and no doubt any other pando ship, I get a bit fed up with this Arcadia bashing....

Had some very good meals in the Meridian too, our beef wellington was superb and Cooked to preference as requested, husband had med - rare, mine med- well how they do that with over 500 covers at the same time is amazing !!

Having just spent the last 1/2 hour or so reading these posts,I am wondering just what the Arcadia has instore for me on the 26th September.I have booked this voyage for special reasons and it will be my first solo.I,along with my late husband have only travelled with Cunard,mostly QE2 but all three ships this year with my daughter.This will be my first on any P and O ship.Friends have recommended them so I booked.I am of the firm opinion that you should see for yourself and if its not good,let them know.I am not the type to let others spoil my trip!I loved the photos,Dai.Also I have been looking for any info to help me enjoy my trip.

Remember ,life to short and precious to worry about the little things,believe me I know.

Regards

Kathie:)

:) Returned home 2 weeks ago from a fabulous 15 day cruise on Arcadia, the food was excellent, in particular the 'Arcadian Rhodes Gourmet Night' of 8 courses, was exceptional and not to be missed. The range of food on board includes luxury foods everything from lobster, pheasant, salmon and scallops to foi gras [not sure how to spell that] not really school dinners!! I am glad that I read Libralass [sue's] posts and looked at her photo albums because after reading some people's opinions of Arcadia I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake booking, I would have missed a treat!

The couple who are getting married on the Arcadia have nothing to worry about they will have a fantastic wedding, great location and great food!

I am glad you enjoyed my photos and thatyou enjoyed your cruise too- I knew you would!

I have tried to reassure the couple who are having a wedding onboard too, that they will have a excellent time. I've been to a renewal of vows and a wedding onboard Arcadia and they are superb

Would someone PLEASE explain why, if everything is so wonderful, and you don't wish newbies to be put off, the fan squad keeps posting on here, thereby popping it back to the top?

Arcadia food is institutional, in my experience, and that of the OP and others. Obviously, we are all daft, or perhaps the usual chef dropped dead for our cruises. Fine, we disagree. And PLEASE stop quoting Arcadian Rhodes, which is brilliant, as stated by all of those otherwise critical of P&O catering standards, but completely and utterly irrelevant to the point at issue. Just leave it now...

Annie

Would someone PLEASE explain why, if everything is so wonderful, and you don't wish newbies to be put off, the fan squad keeps posting on here, thereby popping it back to the top?

Arcadia food is institutional, in my experience, and that of the OP and others. Obviously, we are all daft, or perhaps the usual chef dropped dead for our cruises. Fine, we disagree. And PLEASE stop quoting Arcadian Rhodes, which is brilliant, as stated by all of those otherwise critical of P&O catering standards, but completely and utterly irrelevant to the point at issue. Just leave it now...

Annie

Annie, Ok I am in the fan squad, and 'fifty dollar bob and Norfolk Brit are in the anti-Arcadia (HIT) squad,,this is a discussion thread on Arcadia.... and when someone knocks her like fifty dollar, I'll defend he to balance the discussion - OK ?

If a 'newbie' posts they are now seriously worried about their up and coming cruise because someone like 'fifty dollar; who went on 1 weekend cruise on her for about 40 hours didn't like her , then I and others like Soletred and Dai will balance that view out if we feel the need, ok!

I have cruised on QE2, Celebrity Infinity & Summit, Arcadia and Sea Princess, and the best one in my opinion was Arcadia........

I thought the afternoon tea on QE2 was a great experience (mind you it was in 2002 , and might have changed by now).....however,I thought their food court (The Lido) was awful, and likened it to a works canteen...I also enjoyed afternnon tea on Arcadia in March 07, but thats probably cos we were lucky enough to be staying in a suite and it was served in room........but the best afternoon tea, with real scones and real extra thick double cream, was on Sea Princess...(although their scones dont have any sultanas/raisins in...).

I though Arcadian Rhodes was a truly lovely experience, but didn't enjoy the Orchid restaurant so much...we never had a bad meal in The Meridian..

But the best 'Speciality dining' was on Celebrity Summit in The Normandie restaurant...absolutely the best 'fine dining' I have done...

There.....

Thats my two penneth.....:D :D

We recently returned from a holiday on Aurora having tried other P&O ships and the food we've enjoyed the most has been on the Arcadia. The food on the Aurora wasn't that impressive in the Medina restaurant and the service wasn't great either. We wondered if cut backs were being made all round - poor entertainment too. Would definitely book another cruise on the Arcadia but I don't think we'll be booking a cruise on Aurora again.

But the best 'Speciality dining' was on Celebrity Summit in The Normandie restaurant...absolutely the best 'fine dining' I have done...

Isn't it just, the best dining experience I have ever had in my life, anywhere.

Gerry

Isn't it just, the best dining experience I have ever had in my life, anywhere.

Gerry

Now then Gerry

Did you go for the menu that included wines that they chose to go with every course...or did you just choose your own wine.....

Did you have that dersert with about 6 different mini deserts....

Scrummy!!!!:D

Karen

Archived