Explorer or Grandeur to Bermuda??

Getting ready to book an '09 cruise for our 10th anniversary. We will be doing the 5 day Bermurda.

Would you choose:

Explorer of the Seas or the Grandeur of the Seas? And why.

Explorer leaves from Bayonne, NJ. Approximately a 4 hour drive for us. Larger and newer ship than the Grandeur. Approximatley $100 less expensive, better OBC's!!

Grandeur of the Seas leaves from Baltimore. Approximately a 1 1/2 drive for us. Very convenient!!

Any input, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you

I haven't been on Explorer so can't do a comparison. We love the Grandeur, however. For us its a great size. Doesn't have the specialty restaurants, etc. but we don't miss them. Great areas to read, relax, and enjoy the cruise.

Going under the Key bridge and Chesapeake Bay bridge is always interesting.

People that work on board are terrific as well.

Port is easy to get to and is easy to check in through. We usually get to the lot about 10:30 and are ready to on board by about 11-11:15 - including taking my laptop through security and having pictures taken.

Anything specific you want to ask about the ship, please ask. I'll try and answer if I can.

Anything specific you want to ask about the ship, please ask. I'll try and answer if I can.

How are the shows on board??? Are there plenty of activities during the day? Are there plenty of drink stations? Comedians or music in the bars at night?

A co-worker's friend just went on the Grandeur about 1 month ago and didn't like it. Didn't like the food, didn't like the ship!!! I couldn't imagine going on a cruise and not enjoying myself!!! I'm sure the ship and food are just fine. Maybe they are hard to please or their expectations could never be met. Hey, if I don't have to cook and clean it, make my bead, vacuum or dust, I'm very happy:D !!!!

Been on the Explorer but not the Grandeur. Personally I'd go on the Explorer. The Atlantic is/can be rough so I go for the bigger ship. We went to Bermuda last summer and there were some rough seas but nothing to ruin the cruise. I met some people who were on a smaller ship at the same time and it sounded like a nightmare.

Hope this helps.

There are shows on board nightly to correspond with dinner time. Early seating shows are always 9 pm. Late seating shows are sometimes at 7 and sometims after supper (11?). They alternate between production shows with the ships singers and dancers and entertainers brought on the ship that vary by week--usually are either singers, comedians or magic acts. These are usually good but which one you like best is personal preference.

There is also usually karyoki (sp?) in one of the lounges at least once during the week. Sometimes during a cruise they will run a karyoki contest. There is also a quest (adult scavenger hunt) once during the cruise.

There is music in the centrum at night and various types of music in the bars during the evening.

There is water/lemonade/tea in the windjammer and also a set up outside the windjammer that you can get whenever you want. Also there is water and either lemonade or tea in the solarium as well where the pizza, burgers, and fries are.

Part of the difference between me and your friend may be the difference in what is wanted in a cruise. I love to lay back watch the ocean and read a book. If your friends love to be active--flow rider, ice rink, etc. this ship doesn't have those features. That may be where some of their disappointment came in.

Food is subjective and everyones taste is different. I'm a vegiterian and the meat dishes don't appeal to me. My sister loves the meat dishes. I also like the windjammer because I don't have to sit through a long supper. My sister loves the dining room where she gets waited on. its our vacation and neither one of us are wrong for enjoying what we do. It is in knowing what you enjoy and what each ship offers and each ship does have a different personality what suits me may not suit someone else.

I also don't know if your friend was on the May 15 cruise. Unfortunately that cruise was delayed by a day because of delays coming back from Bermuda. That was due to strong winds coming back up (up to 60 knots and the ocasional wave coming up onto deck 9). It made for a disappointing start to the cruise.

Please ask again if I've forgotten to answer any question you have.

The above poster may be right about the seas being easier in a larger ship. Having said that, we've been on Grandeur eight times and have been fortunate not to have had problems (three times to Bermuda, four Caribbean and one New England cruise)

How are the shows on board??? Are there plenty of activities during the day? Are there plenty of drink stations? Comedians or music in the bars at night?

A co-worker's friend just went on the Grandeur about 1 month ago and didn't like it. Didn't like the food, didn't like the ship!!! I couldn't imagine going on a cruise and not enjoying myself!!! I'm sure the ship and food are just fine. Maybe they are hard to please or their expectations could never be met. Hey, if I don't have to cook and clean it, make my bead, vacuum or dust, I'm very happy:D !!!!

For me it's a no-brainer...Why would I want to hassle going to Bayonne with all that NJ / NY traffic when I can go out of Norfolk! We've done the Grandeur twice out of Baltimore (once to Bermuda and once to New England/Canada) and are taking her again in August out of Norfolk.

If you have to have all the bells and whistles of an ice skating rink, in-line rollerblading and such then Grandeur is not for you. We found the daily activities just fine - after all you'll only be at sea for a day each way and then spending your time off the ship on Bermuda. The shows at night were always very good with a combination of production shows and solo act entertainment.

As for the food, we thought it was just fine. Let's face it, it's never going to be 5 star (you're dining with 1000 of your closest friends at each seating), but the selections were varied and preparation was above average. We've always been satisfied with RCCL's product...and we've done 38 cruises with them over the years.

We have done both several times.

the Circle at Norfolk is a nightmare and you have to drive through the city to get there.

Cape liberty is off the Turnpike follow the signs and you are there.

I really don't care for the NY/NJ statements, especially when someone hasn't been there.

I don't think everyone in Norfolk is in the Military or a Red Neck NASCAR driver so please give us the same consideration.

John

We were on the Grandeur in April for 14 nights, and loved it. We are Celebrity Elite level, and that was our first RCL ship.

We have cruised to Bermuda on a 7 nighter. Basically, the ship is just transportation to Bermuda and a hotel while you are there as opposed to longer cruises and itinerary.

I would choose the Grandeur for a couple main reasons. First, convenience in getting to the ship and home. Second, convenience in Bermuda. There will be less people wanting taxis, buses, excursions, etc etc. Simply put, not as crowded in port.

Bermuda is fantastic and I know you will have a great time. You can purchase the bus/ferry pass on board the ship.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Definitely Explorer, especially since you mention it's cheaper and you will have better OBC. We sailed Grandeur out of Baltimore, and it was just fine, but I would definitely go with explorer in this instance.

As an aside, sailing out of Baltimore it was really cool to be sitting in the Schooner bar, watching folks get on board, exactly 1.5 hours after we left our Northern VA driveway.

I know what you mean about liking to be close to port. I think we have you beat though. We're in Columbia so we're 20 minutes from the Baltimore port. That's the reason we tried Grandeur in the first place. that and personal preference has kept us coming back to the ship. The size is good for us but if the distance to New Jersey doesn't bother you and you like the larger ship, Explorer might be nice.

I know what you mean about liking to be close to port. I think we have you beat though. We're in Columbia so we're 20 minutes from the Baltimore port. That's the reason we tried Grandeur in the first place. that and personal preference has kept us coming back to the ship. The size is good for us but if the distance to New Jersey doesn't bother you and you like the larger ship, Explorer might be nice.

I live just south of you (in Burtonsville -but I work in Columbia). I know being so close, like you (I am 25 mins) is GREAT, especially with airfare getting so expensive. People wonder why I have not taken a cruise out of Baltimore yet. I guess it is because I have been to Bermuda before, but it has been sometime. MY DH and I are thinking about possibly going next summer.

I am glad to hear you like the ship. We got back from the LOS a few months, back and will sail on the Monarch next month, so the size / amenities of the ship will be the biggest difference for us.

I would book the Grandeur out of Balto. I've been on her twice and just loved her. My sister was on the Explorer in April and she wasn't at all impressed (She also sailed on Grandeur 3 times). Were going on the Explorer in Janurary just because of location and the only RC ship close for a winter cruise.

Its your choice, but I would definately do the explorer. Hands down. We've been to Bermuda on the ExOS and the seas were rough, but to be on a smaller ship would be up to the person. (I don't do anything smaller then voyager)

Its your choice, but I would definately do the explorer. Hands down. We've been to Bermuda on the ExOS and the seas were rough, but to be on a smaller ship would be up to the person. (I don't do anything smaller then voyager)

I'm thinking about booking it for Aug. 08 for my husband's 50th birthday. How rough was the seas going to Bermuda? Does anyone has a picture of a JS? Thanks.

We have done both several times.

the Circle at Norfolk is a nightmare and you have to drive through the city to get there.

Cape liberty is off the Turnpike follow the signs and you are there.

I really don't care for the NY/NJ statements, especially when someone hasn't been there.

I don't think everyone in Norfolk is in the Military or a Red Neck NASCAR driver so please give us the same consideration.

John

Easy, John...I've spent my share of time working and living in Northern NJ and NYC. Don't you assume that because one lives in this neck of the woods they've never ventured north of the Mason-Dixon. I meant no offense...Sorry you're so touchy.

For me, it is a no brainer. We're 5 hrs. from Bayonne and gladly drive to the port. Our first cruise was on RCI Enchantment after the stretching and we fell in love with cruising. Our second cruise was to Bermuda on the Grandeur. A very tired ship to us and we were so disappointed we stopped cruising with RCI. A mistake because RCI has a good rewards program. We tried the Explorer in March and sailed again on her in May. We booked 2 more cruises on the ship. We've been big Celebrity Constellation fans but I think our last cruise on her will be in Oct. I can't imagine choosing the Grandeur over the Explorer but I know many love the Grandeur too. If for no other reason I'd want the weight of the larger ship on the Atlantic.

Jan

I've spent an equal number of trips between the Vision Class and Voyager class and I would choose Explorer based on the amenities. The Ice Show, Promenade, Studio B, and the twin pools for starters. Then there is the food diversity. Cafe Promenade, Johnny Rockets, Chops, etc. The dining room on Voyager class ships is magnificent. Explorer is newer and more upscale and the price is less. We sailed Grandeur last December and are sailing on her again because the port is 20 minutes from our home and the pricing was excellent. Unfortunately, Vision class is the only class of ship that will fit under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge at the mouth of Tampa Bay.

I have been on both and enjoyed them.

I think it is all a matter of taste. Do you prefer a larger ship or a smaller one?

Do you want to ice skate, mini golf, Portifinos? You won't find those on the Grandeur.

I think the food for me, is the same. The staff was great on both. So it truly is a matter of choice.

My husband likes larger ships and I like smaller, so we go back and forth.

We will be back on the Grandeur in Oct., no plans for the Explorer for now.

I have not sailed to Bermuda on the Grandeur, but our way back to port on the Explorer was one of the roughest sailings I have ever been on.

Weigh the odds and see what is best for you.

We have sailed on both and our favorite is the Grandeur. Mainly because she is smaller. You get more personal service and attention. The bigger ships, the crew is stretched to the max. Even the passengers it seems that you get to make friends more because you are always running into each other at some point and time. The real decision maker though for us as of late, due to the gas prices, is that we take the Explorer because we are closer to Bayonne then Baltimore. Baltimore was great to go out of also, they really have their act together with the parking..no time at all until you are on the ship. Your decision really comes down to what you want out of your cruise. I would recommend the Grandeur if you want a relaxing and restful cruise and the Explorer if you want to "get out there". It depends on your health also, as the Grandeur is easy to get around, where the Explorer is huge and will require alot of walking. On the Explorer it seems we were always waiting for an elevator, so if you choose to go on the Explorer, make sure you always leave early for your events to beat the rush, or you will find that you will be taking the steps more often then you like. You have pros and cons on every ship, but you have to decide what you want first and then just weigh the cons against them. Whether you take the Grandeur or the Explorer, your choice of destination is a sure win, Bermuda is Beautfiul. We try to go every year, at the end of the season as it is cheaper.

Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband and I will have a discussion this weekend about our options. You folks gave us a lot of info and it is greatly appreciated!!

Either way, I am sure we will have a great cruise!

Archived