Sabatini's- Worth it?

Sunmist

I've sailed on Princess several times and have always wanted to try the specialty restaurant Sabatini's. I'm leaving on a cruise in a month and want to know if it's worth paying to eat there??

That is a judgement call.

We ate in Sabatini's, Golden Princess, way back in 8-02.

Both my wife and I have smaller appetites, and thought the amount of food served was overwhelming. A lot of food was not eaten.

We have sailed with Princess several times since then, but have not gone back to Sabatini's.

We tried Sabatini's on our June 1st cruise on the Star and it is certainly an experience. I'm not sure I would do it again but it was worth trying once.

One is warned as soon as seated that the meal will last a minimum of two hours. Dinner is a 17 course affair where the diner selects the entree and the dessert. All other courses are served automatically. The food is very good but it is a bit of overkill as far as I'm concerned.

I rather wish we had tried the steakhouse instead but if you enjoy a "dining event", Sabatini's is certainly a nice one.

We also did Sabatini's on the Star and found it to be overwhelming. I have a huge appetite but it was way more than I could eat. I felt bad leaving so much food. It is also a big time commitment. I guess everyone should do it once, to see for themselves.

We have dined at Sabatini's on the Star & Emerald and noticed a big difference in the food. The experience and food on the Star was excellent but the same on the Emerald was not. We were told that the menu has been changed to suit American tastes. For those in the know-that means more garlic, thin calamari with lots of breading etc. My vote is more for the Crown Grill. Sabatini's atmoshere is nice depending on which ship you are on. Please don't think that you are eating an authentic Italian meal as they like to make you think on all the non-Italian line cruise ships. One needs to go to Italy for that!

I would also add, I would inquire as to the nationality of the Chef in Sabatini's. Some may take offense at this suggestion, but we asked on the Jewel of Seas for their Italian restaurant and the girl in charge didn't even know.Figure that one out. Anyway-if they are from Italy and with Princess, that is a possibility-I would spend the money. If they are from the UK or something like that, I would pass.

We at at Sabatini's on the Star back in 2005 and it was fab.

There is a lot of food, but I didn't think it was overwhelming. I even had two entrees.

When we cruise on the Crown in January, we're thinking of trying the Crown Grill, but I'd go back to Sabatini's in a heartbeat (especially if we don't get a spot at the early dinner seating).

We just ate there on the Caribbean Princess in May, I have to say it was the best dinner of the cruise, and rivals a number of restraunts here in Philadelphia. The number of courses is a little overwheling and it is a large time committment but hey your on vacation.....IMHO it's worth the money.

We ate there on the CB last December. My friend thought it was fabulous, I thought it was good, but no better than the dining room. I guess it's very subjective. But hey, it doesn't cost that much extra and you're on vacation so if you want to give it a try, I say go for it.

Yes, it is a judgment call. I ate in Sabatinis on the Golden last September. I was underwhelmed. Yes, there are lots of courses and selections but they are small so its manageable. I didn't like the waiter. When I refused to eat something, he seemed to take it personally. I didn't like everything they offered, so why should I take something just because its there? The entree I chose was lobster and it was good. By the end of the meal, I wondered to myself why I bothered eating there. But, I think it's something you have to experience if you don't mind paying extra for it. The dining room food was terrific. Maybe most people eating in Sabatinis are first timers. I would not eat there again. I'm going on the Star in November and the dining room food will be fine for me.

I agree, give it a try. What do you have to lose? We ate at Sabatini's 3 times during our 9-day cruise on the Crown Princess, which gives you an idea of how much we liked it. The amount of food on the first night was truly overwhelming, as a previous poster wrote. We quickly learned to ask the waiters to limit the number and portion size of the food they brought. (You only order your entree, the rest is brought out on large trays so you can tell them what you want or don't want.) Don't be taken in when they tell you how upset Mama in the kitchen is going to be when you don't try everything they offer!

I would also add, I would inquire as to the nationality of the Chef in Sabatini's. Some may take offense at this suggestion, but we asked on the Jewel of Seas for their Italian restaurant and the girl in charge didn't even know.Figure that one out. Anyway-if they are from Italy and with Princess, that is a possibility-I would spend the money. If they are from the UK or something like that, I would pass.

"from the UK or something like that", I take it that also means American chefs as its a very sweeping statement you made.

I have eaten in Sabatini's on the Crown and the Caribbean Princess. The first time I was to full to eat more than a bite or 2 or my entree and couldn't eat dessert. I had ordered the veal chop and it was devine, but I couldn't eat it. The second time I paced myself and told the waiter up front I did not want a taste of everything. I ordered the veal chop again and ate the whole thing, as well as sampling several desserts. Go for it but PACE YOURSELF.

We have done Sabatini's at least once during each cruise on Princess and have enjoyed it every time. The last time was on the CB and I had forgotten to bring my wallet. The food and service had been so good that I went back to my room, made out an envelope with our waiter's name and put a good tip in it and returned to the restaurant that night to give it to him. He had told us that if we put his tip on our cruise card it would just be lumped into everyone else's computer generated tips and he might end up with a few cents for his night's work.

Anyway I agree with the majority of posters that the charge is well worth it for the meal you get.

Have a great next cruise.

We ate at Sabatini's on the Sapphire Princess and loved it! It was certainly worth the additional $20. The food and service was top notch. The waiter we had was excellent. We would not hesitate to eat there again or to recommend it to anyone.

Sounds like a good option to do with friends and make an evening of it.

Exactly what we did on the Star in April. Had a wonderful evening but it was the company, not the food. We were not at all impressed with Sabatini's itself and won't be tempted to try it again.

We love Sabatini's. The food is great and the setting is much nicer than in the dining rooms. Don't be shy in expressing your needs to your waiter, so that you get the right types and amounts of food for your taste.

We loved Sabatini's, have been four times on two ships. The ambiance is wonderful, less hectic than the dining room. The last time we just ordered the items we wanted and had them "hold" the rest, it was a great way to experience the dinner in a nice atmosphere.

We ate at both Sabitinis and Sterlings when we were on the CB in May. Though we liked Sterling better, Sabitinis was good. However, if are expecting spagetti & meatballs, don't go.

It really was an experience and you should make a night of it, just don't expect to get your food, eat, and then leave. The antipasti was very good along with the hot appes (loved the mini crab cakes, but the calamari was a bit chewy). We weren't crazy about the pasta or pizza, but I really loved the lobster dish. Very innovative and would eat that again in a heartbeat :D

Archived