Sabatini's- Worth it?

Sunmist

I've sailed on Princess several times and have always wanted to try the specialty restaurant Sabatini's. I'm leaving on a cruise in a month and want to know if it's worth paying to eat there??

Of course, there are only subjective answers to this question, mine included.

All I can say is that we did not go to Sabatini's on the Emerald last Fall, but we were there in 2006 and I AM STILL STUFFED!!! I enjoyed the vast majority of what they offered. And needed to go for a long walk around the ship several times to start working off all that I ate. I have been there five times and had great food each time.

Give it a try. It might be a great experience. If not, then you know not to eat there again.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I was wondering if I should attempt Sabatini's or not since hubby and I definitely have big appetites however I am deathly allergic to seafood and since you only choose your entree and dessert, that is a bit frightening. Do you think they will make special accomodations for me or should I just skip it?

Again sorry I'm not trying to steal your post, and from what I've heard/read it definitely seems like it would be worth it to try at least once.

~Sara

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I was wondering if I should attempt Sabatini's or not since hubby and I definitely have big appetites however I am deathly allergic to seafood and since you only choose your entree and dessert, that is a bit frightening. Do you think they will make special accomodations for me or should I just skip it?

Again sorry I'm not trying to steal your post, and from what I've heard/read it definitely seems like it would be worth it to try at least once.

~Sara

I am sure they can accommadate you in Sabatinis. With the antipasti, they come to you and plate what you want - so if don't eat the shrimp or calamari, just tell them no.

My daughter will be turning 11 (they grow up fast) on our next cruise on the Crown Princess. She loves seafood (mainly lobster & shrimp). What would be a better choice? Crown Grill or Sabatini's? For you people who dislike kids in the supper clubs, don't worry. We would get a 6:15 reservation and be gone by 7:45.

~Sara

I would let them know at the time of booking so they are well aware and can make the arrangements if you need food prepared seperatly etc.

It's easily worth the nominal cost, and the expenditure of time to at least try it once! Even if you only have a few bites of everything, you'll leave so full you can hardly move, but it's really a fun eating adventure, and it's a nice change from the regular diningrooms or the buffet.

We dined in Sabatini's on the Diamond in March, and were very glad we tried it.

Dinner there is not just a meal in an anternative restaurant. It is an experience. The service was wonderful, the waiter and his assistant had great personalities, the ambiance is more intimate than the dining rooms, and the food was excellent.

Yes, there's a lot of foods offered in the numerous courses, but you don't have to accept some of everything. During the appetizer courses, I recall that each item served was just enough for a couple of bites. One of our party does not like any sort of seafood or fish, but she had plenty of other offerings to try, and she ordered a meat or poultry choice for her entree.

We definitely felt this place was worth the $20 premium each of us paid, and would like to dine there on another cruise.

We too gave our waiter and the assistant a cash tip at the end of the meal. Their service was part of what made the meal special.

We also dined at Sterling Steakhouse and found that to also be worth the premium. One of our party ws raised in Kansas City, where beef is a way of life, and she raved about her steak. Said it ranked with the best she has ever eaten.

Another treat that is a real bargain is the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast. We'll certainly avail ourselves of that on the next cruise.

I can't imagine we will ever pay extra to eat in one of the specialty restaurants. If the food in the regular dining room gets to the point we don't like/enjoy it and then felt compelled to eat in a specialty restaurant, we will stop cruising. I doubt that will happen though.

Fortunately my TA comps it every cruise, so we always wind up going.

If you are capable (emotionally) of setting down for a two-hour meal with a person whose company you enjoy, then it is absolutely worth the minimal charge. If you're not (food is a necessity, and not for enjoyment), then you shouldn't go.

99.7% of my time I am a "Super Type-A++ personality going 1000 miles a minute", so the Sabatini's is a welcome respite from my normal day. In fact, the relaxation element is how I became re-addicted to cruises. I find that they are the only vacations where I can truly and totally "Escape Completely" (Princess owes me a nickel for plugging their tag-line!).

I consider Sabatinis is a comfortable, no rush, no worry event with LOTS of FOOD!

I've been reading this thread with curiosity as I've never tried Sabatini's -- yet. A question came to mind:

Is the 2 hour dinner really that long? Seems like most nights in the regular dining room I'm at table for around an hour and a half anyway, as I enjoy eating and conversing in a leisurely way. Dinners in Europe routinely last that long -- if not longer. Chef's Table, btw, took about 3 and a half hours!

One of the amenities of the AmEx platinum card is a free 1st night at Sabatini's. It's a nice perk and we like Sabatini's, but we would never go there if we didn't have a free pass. Why? It simply isn't that much better than a special order or Italian night in the dining room and sometimes the service is really bad. Depends on the ship. On the Golden in March, we encountered the worst service we have ever experienced on any cruise ship on over 50 cruises in Sabatini's. On the Caribbean Princess, we had good food and good service. On the Sea, Ocean, Coral, Island, Grand, etc Sabatini's was good but we've never experienced that great a difference in the service and quality of food to make it worth spending the extra money. Quite frankly, you'd be better off spending the money on a good bottle of wine.

We also felt that it was too much food. We took our teenage grandsons to Sabatini's on the CB in April 07 and for the first time they actually had enough to eat!!!!! However, they didn't like spending all that time in a restaurant.

We don't think the extra charges for the specialty restaurants is worth the additional charge, especially the Bayou Cafe. Sabatini's is better and the Sterling Steak house is OK but we still don't think they offer anything significantly better than you can get in the dining room.

DH have done Sabatinis twice. Once in 2003 on the Star and again in 2006 on the CB.

Both of our experiences were wonderful. Yes.....there is too much food but nobody makes you eat it. Our waiter (both times) asked about any special requests. in 2003, I had their ricotta based gnocchi.....YUMMY!!!!! I asked if I could have them as my side dish rather than potatoes. I got an amazingly large bowl. By the way, I ate it all!!

In 2006, I asked about them. Again, an enormous bowl for me. I don't usually eat all that much of the other stuff.....a taste here and there. Both times, I got the above mentioned veal chop. It was phenomenal:D :D

So, IMO, it was well worth the $20 p/p. We're going on the Emerald in 4/09 with friends and intend to try it at least once. We're also going to try the steakhouse.

It's your vacation.......give it a try at least once:) :)

I think it's worth it, if you like Italian food. I do turn down a few samples, but since you can order as many items as you want in the traditional dining room I'm not sure there is a difference except you have to pay for it. Nice experience and I think that's part of what cruising is about.

Would the two of us have to sit at a table on our own in Sabatini's or can they place you with others at a larger table as they do in the regular dining rooms? For us, one of the pleasure of cruising is the camaraderie at the dining tables.

Sabatini is more than just a meal - it is a complete dining experience.

There is an immense amount of food placed before you - but it is up to you whether to eat it all, or taste a little of each item.

Service is usually better than the main dining rooms, the ambiance is pleasant, and on Emerald Princess in particular the location is stunning.

Just don't expect to be in and out in less than 3 hours.......

I highly recommend it.

Would the two of us have to sit at a table on our own in Sabatini's or can they place you with others at a larger table as they do in the regular dining rooms? For us, one of the pleasure of cruising is the camaraderie at the dining tables.

It is my understanding that you would have a table to yourselves. Since you are paying for this experience, most people use it for a special occasion or family gathering. If sharing is want you prefer, perhaps you could ask someone you meet on board whose company you enjoy, if they are going to Sabatini's. If yes, you might ask if they would mind making it a small party?

Whatever you do, do try Sabatinis. It is an experience!

One of our party does not like any sort of seafood or fish, but she had plenty of other offerings to try, and she ordered a meat or poultry choice for her entree.

She was very, very lucky then. I too do not like seafood but went to Sabatinis on the Diamond as part of a larger group. Seafood comprised just about every course. I ordered a meat entree and it was either stuffed with or had sat too close to fish as it tasted of seafood too. I had to actually leave the place to go to Horizon Court (not a place I am a fan of for an evening meal btw) as I was getting so hungry I was feeling light headed.

Do not go to Sabatinis unless you like seafood. It is an experience all right - just not a good one for me. The other members of the party enjoyed it but they do like seafood. It is not an Italian, it is not a trattoria - it is a seafood restauant.

Okay, let's all get a grip on reality here. What is Sabatini's? $20 a person?????

Come ON, how special does it need it to BE for twenty bucks a person????

It's a nice dining experience! Take the plunge, try it!

(Jeez, are ALL Princess cruisers SO incredibly CHEAP?????:eek: )

I just ate there in early May and truly don't recall any seafood other than calamari appetizer...I agree with you Usha $20 a head is nothing for a special occasion. ENJOY, it's a vacation.....

When we ate there last month, there was a scallops entree that we both ordered, but I don't remember lobster tails.

They do have jumbo prawns - I think they're cooked with some kind of saffron based broth. I've had this entree twice, both times on the Grand.

I also don't recall if they have lobster. My dad usually orders the veal chop.

Okay, let's all get a grip on reality here. What is Sabatini's? $20 a person?????

Come ON, how special does it need it to BE for twenty bucks a person????

It's a nice dining experience! Take the plunge, try it!

(Jeez, are ALL Princess cruisers SO incredibly CHEAP?????:eek: )

Cheap? I guess you can call every one cheap that thinks money can be better spent on something they really enjoy rather then on paying for a dinner that is in the eye of the beholder "special". I'd rather spend that money on just about anything else special, like coke cards for the kids that they'd really enjoy or a photo to remember the cruise or even a short excursion.

For me, I travel with my family - so its $20 a head times 8 people. So now you're talking $160 for dinner plus tip, and two of those are young kids. That's a tad more expensive then "$20".....

I personally have tried it only once on the Tahitian Princess and was very disappointed. Like one person said if you don't like sea food don't go. Every single item had sea food, so I agree - its a SEAFOOD restaurant and it should be, for lack of a better word, advertised that way. I don't like seafood, so most food items were uneatable for me. The service was just okay and the food portions everyone keeps talking about just didn't happen. The meal also was very quick. I think we had about 5 food items total.

Archived