The last morning...

Looking for a bit of info on departing the ship on the last morning. We have been on CCL and NCL- both handled disembarkation a bit differently. We had to go to the theater on CCL and were able to stay in our room until we did a our own carry off on NCL.

Can someone tell me if there is a certain time you must be out of your room? Does RCLL want everyone in the common areas until it is their groups turn for departure?

We are off on Friday for our 6/14 cruise on Serenade of the Seas!

Thanks for any info!

-JC in CA

I have a bad memory, but I think it's either 8 or 9 AM that you have to be out of your room. You'll be assigned a public area, and passengers are released by certain groups called "colors".

You receive your "color" luggage tags the day before disembarkation. It's based on the flight time you reported.

Thanks Sherry-

So RCCL is very similar to CCL.

Can anyone tell me what is open for breakfast and for how long?

Our flight isn't until 3:00 PM- not really enough time to do much in Vancouver- but we also don't need to rush to the airport.

thanks again!

Just off the Mariner June 1st. It is not like CCL. On RCL you go to a public room but the whole ship does not go to one room. We were asked to go to the public room by our cabin - it was not overly crowded. We were out at 8 a.m. so I didn't bother with breakfast. I thought it was very organized. I was on CCL about 3 years ago and leaving the ship was a zoo. On RCL we were off and on the ground in less than a half hour.

On my 3 RCCL cruises, we were required to be out of our rooms by 8 am, but where we were to go to wait for our color to be called was not specified for two of them (one of them was a group cruise, and our group was told to meet in a certain location so we'd all depart together and then go to our bus).

On Mariner they said out of room at 8 am. Our kids had a balcony cabin we had a Jr suite. We all hung out in the Jr Suite untill 8 am. Just as we got off the elevator they called our color so we walked right off the ship. It was great!!!

They pretty much don't care about you.

This is the weakest part of the Cruise. People all over the halls blocking the elevators gangways packed.People Pushing, not movine ignoring color calls.

It's a shame this disorganization and lack of RCCL officers to handle the situation is the last memory of the Cruise.

Just my opinion But disembarkation should be something of a pleasant experience,Like when you Leave a Disney Park .

John

This is the weakest part of the Cruise. People all over the halls blocking the elevators gangways packed.People Pushing, not movine ignoring color calls.

It's a shame this disorganization and lack of RCCL officers to handle the situation is the last memory of the Cruise.

Just my opinion But disembarkation should be something of a pleasant experience,Like when you Leave a Disney Park .

John

I disagree. It's not that they don't care, it's that they are under a pretty tight time crunch to get the ship cleaned up and new guests on. It's a lot of standing around, or hanging around, but what can you do? That's just how things like this go. It's not my last memory of the cruise--I focus on all the great memories.

On the Explorer the last 2 times the disembark was handled by the cruise

Directors staff. Not an Officer to be seen - so when there are problems with the gangways etc there is not a soul with authority to be seen.

They could make sure there is plenty of Coffee and pastry toilet paper,

juice or milk for the little ones. If they simply enforced the color departure

and not loitering in the gangways all would be fine.

Just a simple Thing like an Officer or two walking around.

I focus on the great time also but it could be soo much better if disembarkation was as ease as embarkation.

Thought I answered, but must not have hit the save button or something?? :confused:

On our last cruise on Enchantment we both needed to get off early, DS early flight and me the Everglades excursion, we went to WJ for breakfast, returned to our cabin for a once over, got our stuff and were soon called to our lounge to wait.

I think from our experience, the earlier your departure color the easier it is to get off.

Out of rooms by 8am, and they want you OFF the ship by 10am, so they can start boarding a whole new batch!

And this is when the PCD really sets in. (Actually, it starts on the last night when we walk down the halls and see all the luggage lined up.)

Thanks Sherry-

So RCCL is very similar to CCL.

Can anyone tell me what is open for breakfast and for how long?

Our flight isn't until 3:00 PM- not really enough time to do much in Vancouver- but we also don't need to rush to the airport.

thanks again!

On our way to the ship a couple of years ago, we had spent a couple of nights in Vancouver beforehand, we took a tour of the city. The tour lasted about 4 hours with drop-off at the port, it was wonderful.

Although I'm not sure of the company name, if you search a tourist board for Vancouver several companies will come up. This is just a suggestion...a tour sounds so much more entertaining than hour after hour wait at the airport. Vancouver Airport is nice as far as airports go, but I'd much rather be out and about instead. The cost wasn't too bad, as I recall it was around $40 per person, a taxi will cost close to the fare of one guest.

Here is where NCL IMO shines. We just went to Alaska on the Pearl and they have a good system. We had a late flight and picked the baggage tags that would allow us to leave the ship as late as possible which was 10AM. We got up at 7 had a shower went to Cagney's for a leisurely breakfast and took a tour of the Garden Villa Suites. Walked off right before 10 AM, no waiting for our color (number) to be called to herd in to the lounge. This left a calm feeling leaving the ship not a hurried rushed one where you get up at 6AM they rush you through b-fast and then most lines herd you in to a lounge and make you wait IMO a bad way to end your cruise.

When we did exit all of our luggage was together no falling over people trying to get out and get the porter. Right out through customs and immediately in to a cab and away we went. NCL has it right here, I have been on 8 cruises and this is the only one that ended on a relaxed note.

I do believe NCL will hold your luggae until 3PM if you want to take a Seattle tour. We had the red-eye so we just went to an Airport hotel and took a long snooze.

Looking for a bit of info on departing the ship on the last morning. We have been on CCL and NCL- both handled disembarkation a bit differently. We had to go to the theater on CCL and were able to stay in our room until we did a our own carry off on NCL.

Can someone tell me if there is a certain time you must be out of your room? Does RCLL want everyone in the common areas until it is their groups turn for departure?

We are off on Friday for our 6/14 cruise on Serenade of the Seas!

Thanks for any info!

-JC in CA

After a Princess cruise, we took the ship's tour of Vancouver - it was just a bus ride, really, with a few stops in Stanley Park to take pictures, but it was a better way to kill a few hours than sitting at the airport. Even though we'd been to most of the places we drove by, it was fun to hear a new perspective.

Thanks everyone!

We will definitely look into the ships tour of Vancouver. We won't fit in a regular taxi (2 teenage girls- too much luggage!) - so that already increases the cost.

Now to break it to the girls that they are going to have to be to breakfast by 8:00 AM!!!

thanks again!

-JC in CA

John

It's funny that you mention Disney. DH and I always marvel at how easy and efficient disembarking the Disney Wonder was. We had really prepared ourselves for "the wait" since we were traveling with our children and other extended family members. Leaving the Disney ship was so pleasant. We were assigned a breakfast time. We went to the dining room on time and had our waiters we had for the cruise. After breakfast we just walked off of the ship. After that experience, we think all of the cruise lines should check out Disney. It was completely painless.

I do agree. RCCL has a lot of room for improvement in the disembarking area.

Archived