Will DH be allowed in Dining Room?

coffee39

DH has not wore a suit since our wedding day. He did go and buy one to wear for formal night. The problem is he bought a light grey suit and when we received our information package and tickets it states that men are to wear dark suit...Will he be out of place in dining room with a light grey suit?

We are on the Sapphire Princess Alaska SB

I've seen people in the dining room on formal night in a polo shirt and nice jeans before, so I think he'll be okay.

All the formal nights are is an excuse for the cruise line to take a bunch of pictures and then charge you an outrageous fee to buy the prints.

If my recent experience on the Island Princess is any indication, "formal" nights on Alaska cruises are far less "formal" than cruises to other destinations. In fact, "smart casual" had a heavy emphasis on the "casual" - most people wore jeans on the first night and last night of the cruise - and overall, the dress codes were far more relaxed than I expected.

All that to say, a suit (of any colour) will be fine for formal nights.

As others have said, he'll be better dressed than a lot of the other men in the dining room. Just don't tell him ahead of time. LOL. Otherwise, he might not wear the suit ( I presume he's not a fan of suits ) on formal night if he knows there'll be others not wearing one.

Enjoy your cruise.

The reason a lot of people wore jeans the first night is because they hadn't gotten their luggage yet, and that was the clothes they came in on. And the last night...it was their traveling clothes home!

Enjoy the cruise...that is what a vacation is for!!

I've seen people in the dining room on formal night in a polo shirt and nice jeans before, so I think he'll be okay.

All the formal nights are is an excuse for the cruise line to take a bunch of pictures and then charge you an outrageous fee to buy the prints.

You are so correct..!!

Your husband will be better dressed than more than 50% of the other gentlemen in the dining room. Do not worry!

They may be allowed in. But, if they are not even wearing a suit in the dinning room on a formal night, they are not gentlemen.:mad:

Not sure where you get that idea but: a) it's not true since you can say no photo and they'll pass you by; and b) some people actually enjoy having their photo taken, are proud of it and buy the prints. To each his/her own. Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't.

They may be allowed in. But, if they are not even wearing a suit in the dinning room on a formal night, they are not gentlemen.:mad:

I agree with Bob. I was on the DP to Hawaii in May and certainly did not see 50% of the men in the dining room wearing informal attire. My husband and I both like to get dressed up and noticed that almost everyone in AD at the later hours was appropriately dressed.

Your husband will be fine in his new suit.

As for the comment about the cruise line gouging passengers for formal portraits - nevermind the sour grapes. See my earlier post about passengers who see the glass as half empty.

Though it does generate revenue, that is not "all formal nights are". Formal dress on cruises goes back over 100 years, before they were even selling photo's on cruise ships. Its tradition.

Though it does generate revenue, that is not "all formal nights are". Formal dress on cruises goes back over 100 years, before they were even selling photo's on cruise ships. Its tradition.

Thanks for the reminder B40. I like formal nights, and I think the men look terrific. We have taken advantage of the photographers available to get some great family photos when traveling with the family. It's a double win because we get the family together for the pictures and, it has alot of great memories attached when we look at the photos for years and years after.

Formal dress on cruises goes back over 100 years, before they were even selling photo's on cruise ships. Its tradition.

And a great tradition it is ! It is a night where all can be beautiful as movie stars.

DH has not wore a suit since our wedding day. He did go and buy one to wear for formal night. The problem is he bought a light grey suit and when we received our information package and tickets it states that men are to wear dark suit...Will he be out of place in dining room with a light grey suit?

It seems to me that if your husband has gone to all this trouble he is obviously doing it for you!!! Wow are you lucky.:D

And, dressed in his suit and with you smiling at his side the nights will be perfect. There will be no trouble with dress code at all.

You might want to take advantage of the picture opportunity as well - for many of us this is the first formal photo we've had in a long time and it will make a great memory for you, or a great gift to a close relative. Remember it costs you nothing until you decide you like the picture taken.

Thanks for the reminder B40. I like formal nights, and I think the men look terrific. We have taken advantage of the photographers available to get some great family photos when traveling with the family. It's a double win because we get the family together for the pictures and, it has alot of great memories attached when we look at the photos for years and years after.

I am Glad you agree! I think it is too bad that many people look at formal nights only as a revenue generator. Sure, they make money, but only if you buy pictures. 20+ dollars is a rip-off for one photo but it is such a great memory, im glad to buy one. Like I said it is completely optional.

And a great tradition it is ! It is a night where all can be beautiful as movie stars.

You got it, it is a great tradition. It gives the ship a great atmosphere.

Archived