Beaded my own gown over the weekend

It is just gorgeous! I remember when you posted earlier about the plans to do this. I knew you'd do a great job.

I'd love to try this, but would need a lot of practice. Like Jane 110, I may start with a bag - I picked up a small black satin bag on deep discount the other day - I think I could do a simple beaded design on that with inexpensive beads as a first project. I have some sewing and embroidery experience, although it's been years.

These posts have given me the incentive to try.

Being a beader, appreciate all the work. I have always wanted to bead a bag also, well I have, just not that type. Beading on white, hmmm, a lot of hand washing, or gloves? Seems like if I just walk by white it gets dirty.

Beautiful job. I'm considering adding beads to the neckline of a older boring semi-casual dress to spark it up, since I don't like the look of it now. The only other items I've beaded was a pair of flat shoes for a Wizard of Oz Dorothy costume. Painted the shoes metallic red and then sewed on sequins and beads.

Beautiful job. I'm considering adding beads to the neckline of a older boring semi-casual dress to spark it up, since I don't like the look of it now. The only other items I've beaded was a pair of flat shoes for a Wizard of Oz Dorothy costume. Painted the shoes metallic red and then sewed on sequins and beads.

Truly appreciate your work on those ``ruby slippers.''

I have fashioned 3 pairs of those miracle slippers in my life since I raised daughters infatuated with the movie. All three times I sprayed the shoes red and then glued layer after layer of red glitter on them before applying decoupage glue to seal the glitter.

Can't imagine sewing sequins and beads to shoes. Takes strong fingers and strong determination!:D

Dianne

Suzanne:

I'm not liking you very much right now! :D I can't tell you the number of times I have tried to sew beads, sequins and a multitude of other things on blouses, dresses, etc, and pulled it all out again because it looked a mess......I'm gonna go sit in the corner and pout.

Your dress is beautiful and I'm sure you will do it proud on your cruise singing away.

Nancy

Here's one more close up

I do a lot of re-work, re-new, tops and bags, along with er's n pins, and ahoe clips.. got a box of projects lined up..just waiting for my next 25 cruise days. My finest effort was de-constructing a wedd dress of lace medallions, covered with pearls, sequins, beads and stones.and 15 yds of lace edge train..it all went on a jeans vest and lean jeans..all on the seams of the vest, and meds in areas, lace 1/2 way up sides...all re done with the seq/beads etc like your gown top..3 days in a chair recovering from a tummy surgery and with baaaad posture per the Dr...So I know the tedium of all that! the sorse part is rethreading the needle!...you will be forever scrumptious! lucky

Jane 110,

go to this store, albeit small, but treasures abound. I have been there several times and have always found what I was looking for. Now understand I am originally from CA and know the very best place in SoCal for beads, but when in NY I go to this place. I can't tell you exactly where it is but I have walked there from the Transit Authority Terminal. And you probably know other places as well, but once I found this store I quit looking when in your city.:)

10splyr,

Thanks, I'm very familiar with M&J trimming. They're on 6th Ave between 36th and 37th Streets.

You're right, they have everything. However, I prefer to go around the corner to all the shops where M&J buys their things and get them for about half the price. :D

However, if you don't live here, and time is an issue then M&J is great. They edit the selections and offer the best of the best and they're still cheaper than places out of town.

Here's their site:

http://www.MJTrim.com

Thanks.

Jane 110,

Thanks for the new info, and as you can see, I don't live there. So please tell me where "around the corner is" so the next time I am in NYC I can stock up. Beads, findings and supplies are so expen$ive here that I have almost - almost - stopped beading anything. Oh, and my hands aren't so wonderful either, but who cares! MJ is the only place I have ever found that carries iron-on crystals and rhinestone appliques, so if you have another source PLEASE pass it on.

Wow Jane, thanks for the link,

I love all that stuff!!! Some incredible ideas and trims and supplies.

When I was a kid We always struggled to find stuff to put on my Ice Skating Dress. My mom ran into a lady that ran a "Majorette" supply company. she sold all those pre-made appliques and loose stuff too. We had the lady come out to the rink and a bunch of us bought stuff from her. Now with the internet there are so many things available to order.

to tell you, cruisearizona, that you did a great job. As you know, it takes time and patience to do a nice job, and it can take a very ordinary dress/blouse/skirt/whatever from even a consignment shop to elegant merely by adding beads.

My question is: do you know where to find wood beads, small sea shells/chips, etc. for casual tees and sun dresses?

You're welcome for the M&J link. Glad some of you found it helpful.

10splyer - "Around the Corner" means all the shops nearby that sell all the things M&J sell in a less than glamorous and organized way. Some of these shops are 100 years old.

Most of them are located between 5th and 6th Avenue's on 36th, 37th, 38th and 39th Streets.

I don't know the name of most of them, but some of good ones are Cinderella Flower and Feather on 38th St,

AA Feather Co on 36th St, Carlos Hats on 38th St. Along w/ feathers, they all sell beads and sequins.

For Ribbons - the famous Hyman Hendler on W. 38th is the best www.hymanhendler.com and Mokuba Ribbons on 39th Street

But if you walk these 4 blocks, you'll see hundreds of shops. They sell wholesale to the fashion trade as well as to individuals. Many don't take credit cards, so bring cash.

Archived