What if you want "the best" without formality?

buttah75

When I as 22 thirty was old when I hit 30 40 was old. I'm 58 now and my 83 year old father told me he won't consider himself elderly until he is in his nineties. Age is a state of mind and most 20 year olds haven't had the life experience. Put on your gowns and suits and enjoy the diversity. Even carnival has ann average age over 50.

i have to add a vote for Regent. We just came back from a 7 day Med cruise.

No formal nights, only informal and resort casual. There were many people young and old on this cruise, probably as it is 7 days in the summer. Wonderful food and service.

As a 48 year old I really have enjoyed Oceania as well. Resort casual the whole week (this does not mean jeans) think polo's and slacks for men, sun- dress or pant-set for females. Yes, it is an older crowd due to length of cruises. As Oceania is port intensive we found they had very active clients. A 65 year old wiped by me while hiking in Montenegro and I am in good shape:).

I really enjoyed all the folks on both cruises. They were interesting and well traveled. Not a pretentious bone noted. I do not think I saw a wheelchair or walker on either cruise, not that that would bother us. I do say Regent was expensive and fell into the luxury category but all drinks and tips are included in the price. We have found we love the age diversity on our cruises and have met some very interesting people who we still keep in touch with.

First of all, thank you all for your replies. It's all very helpful. Second of all, we are in our forties! Albeit a very liberal and young-at-heart forties. Secondly, I love meeting people of all ages and would expect a mixed age group no matter what line I went with. I meant no disrespect to people of any age group. We know that even seniors know how to party! But I would prefer not to use a cruiseline where (as I've heard on HAL, for example), MOST of the passengers are in their 50's, 60's, or older. I know Carnival isn't for us, and I am of course aware of "free-style" on NCL. But I've heard mixed things about the level of excellence there.

We chose Princess for our upcoming Alaska cruise. We're not your "typical" CC members, in that we've been on only one other cruise - Disney w/the kids. For Alaska, we knew we wanted a cruise, and Princess seemed the "closest" to what we were looking for. I'm sure we'll meet and enjoy many people who are older than we are! Planning that trip led me to CC, and since I've been here, I've had this question in mind.

Again, no disrespect. I was honestly just looking for some answers. And I got them. Some of you mentioned lines I hadn't heard of, so I will check them out. But with my husband being leary of getting sick on smaller ships... it may be that we'll again take non-cruise vacations after Alaska.

Enjoy Alaska, we really had a great time on Princess a few years back with them, and are sailing them again soon :D

But you have to go check this thread for fun or :eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=795064

If I was you I would consider the "M" class Celebrity ships and book one of the Penthouse Suites.

We "peeked" in one of these suites last time we were on Constellation and they are wonderful (huge with massive aft wraparound veranda with loungers, hot tub, etc. ) There is a dining room table that seats 8 so you could certainly dine in your suite on formal nights and go to the specialty restaurant on the other nights if you wanted really fine dining but we found the main dining room late seating to be very nice. We sat at a table with 3 other couples about our age and had a fab time with them.

We were in the 40's/50's age group at the time (2004--now just the 50's:( ) and most all of the folks on our roll call were in about the same age group.

Sailing (Caribbean in December) was very smooth, wonderful ports with lots of options. Maybe invite some friends to join you so you will be sure to have someone to hang out with.

if you want the best without formality then chances are very good you will have an older demo on board, that's where the majority of the upscale cruise dollar is. I would say you could be very happy on the new Sostice which looks to be very upscale and luxurious, and probalby won't have as many kids as the other lines' new builds (RC & Carn. will attract families with their rec. areas) Just go at least CC class and have a candlelight dinner on your balcony on the 2 formal nights, or use alternative on those nights, I hear the rest will be resort casual so this should suit your needs just fine.

If I was you I would consider the "M" class Celebrity ships and book one of the Penthouse Suites.

We "peeked" in one of these suites last time we were on Constellation and they are wonderful (huge with massive aft wraparound veranda with loungers, hot tub, etc. ) There is a dining room table that seats 8 so you could certainly dine in your suite on formal nights and go to the specialty restaurant on the other nights if you wanted really fine dining but we found the main dining room late seating to be very nice. We sat at a table with 3 other couples about our age and had a fab time with them.

We were in the 40's/50's age group at the time (2004--now just the 50's:( ) and most all of the folks on our roll call were in about the same age group.

Sailing (Caribbean in December) was very smooth, wonderful ports with lots of options. Maybe invite some friends to join you so you will be sure to have someone to hang out with.

Celebrity's dress code might be a problem. It is for the evening throughout the ship not just the dining room...Formal nights could present difficulties for the OP

Good point Don!!

Of course, a nice bottle of champagne, that big old veranda and private hot tub under the stars might be an option for those nights when you are "trapped" in the suite;) ;)

Windstar Cruise Line no longer exists. (Nor does Windjammer.....out of busines). Windstar used to be part of HAL but Majestic America bought the ships of Windstar well over a year ago. We saw one of the ships in St. Thomas in December and it looked beautiful. A very different cruise experience.

What is Sea Dream I have read mentioned here by a few posters? Are you referring to the 'Yachts' of Seabourn? Please share with me info re: Sea Dream if, indeed, that is what you meant. Seabourn is Very upscale..... entirely different product and category than Princess, Carnival, RCI and HAL. Luxury; not mass market.

Thanks if someone tells me about Sea Dream.

Where did you hear Windstar doesn't exist? I just went to their website and they're still there. My neighbors just booked a cruise on Windstar for December, so I think they're still in business. Carnival did sell it, but not to Majestic America. This is from Wikipedia :Carnival sold Windstar to Ambassadors International Cruise Group and Swan Hellenic to Lord Sterling in 2007

So despite it not being owned by Carnival, Windstar still exists and might be a good choice for the OP.

As for Sea Dream, they are VERY small "boats" that carry around 115 passengers. They are country club casual all the time with no formal nights.

Archived