Having buyers remorse for my big 40th bday cruise

LoraJ

So I definitely think I will be changing our plans and doing one of the Southern Carib. cruises. Of course now I realize my birthday falls on the week between Palm Sunday and Easter. So could be full of spring breakers. I'll have to do some more research. :)

I think everyone is right, it will be best to save up and do a longer cruise in a couple of years when we have the time to do it. I had planned this because I really wanted to go to Europe, but I shouldn't just go to go there. I should go places we really want to.

Right now we're booked on a 7 day cruise next may from Southampton England to France, Spain and Portugal. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but my DH has had no desire to go. My 40th birthday is next year and I wanted to do something big, so I booked us a Suite on the Grand Princess and was planning on flying us out there First Class.

But now I am starting to have second thoughts. Frist of all, I'm not really that excited about the ports anymore, except for Lisbon. And with the economy the way it is, I am starting to think maybe I sholdn't be splurging so much. especially since I keep putting off re-doing our kitchen and buying a new car.

So I am contemplating sticking with what I have booked or switching to a different cruise. Thinking of doing a Southern Carib. itinerary on the Caribbean Princess either the week of my birthday or the one the week after that seems to have more interesting ports.

I would still go all out and book a suite (if there are any left). And one good thing about switching to a warmer climate is now we'd be able to enjoy MUTS and UBD.

While my final payment isn't due until March, I don't want to waffle about it until then and not have ther ebe any suites left.

Sigh! I don't know what to do.

Your 40th Birthday is important, I think you should splurge and make this vacation memorable. When I turned 40 I made a big deal and went on a European trip that was very costly. In retrospect, it was one of our best experiences and we remember it fondly, and often! It wasn't as expensive in retrospect either! :)

Why not hold a second trip with a FCC as an alternative in case something comes up and you end on not wanting to spend the cash.

Money is replaceable, memories are not. Splurge!

Amelia

Right now we're booked on a 7 day cruise next may from Southampton England to France, Spain and Portugal. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but my DH has had no desire to go. My 40th birthday is next year and I wanted to do something big, so I booked us a Suite on the Grand Princess and was planning on flying us out there First Class.

But now I am starting to have second thoughts. Frist of all, I'm not really that excited about the ports anymore, except for Lisbon. And with the economy the way it is, I am starting to think maybe I sholdn't be splurging so much. especially since I keep putting off re-doing our kitchen and buying a new car.

So I am contemplating sticking with what I have booked or switching to a different cruise. Thinking of doing a Southern Carib. itinerary on the Caribbean Princess either the week of my birthday or the one the week after that seems to have more interesting ports.

I would still go all out and book a suite (if there are any left). And one good thing about switching to a warmer climate is now we'd be able to enjoy MUTS and UBD.

While my final payment isn't due until March, I don't want to waffle about it until then and not have ther ebe any suites left.

Sigh! I don't know what to do.

I can totally understand where you're coming from on this. We had a terrific Western European Capitals curise booked on the Golden Princess a few years ago and cancelled it. My DH won't fly unless we ALL fly Business Class or better, so for the 4 of us (2 adults & our 2 sons), that was over $11,000, then there were the 2 balcony cabins, a pre-cruise hotel (2 rooms) for 2 nights and all the tours for the 4 of us. By the time I added it all up, we were talking about $28,000 for one vacation.

The more I weighed the cost with what we'd get for it, the more I thought it wasn't worth it. I changed to a land-based vacation to just London & Paris instead. Although we had a fantastic time and were able to do 2 other cruises that year with the money we saved, I still regret not doing the cruise.

I was just thinking that the other day - "Why didn't I do more traveling when we had the chance?" Count this as one vote for "DO IT!" Definitely, positively, go for it! Believe me, you won't regret it at the end of your trip. ;)

If it were me, I'd go on a Caribbean cruise this time around and go to Europe when the exchange rates are better.

I'm not saying to forget the idea of a European cruise, I'd just put it off. But of couse that's me. If you wait, then maybe you can do a cruise with land portion or a longer cruise for the same amount of money at a later date.

That's the thing, I am worried I will regret it. Do the cheaper cruise and then save up for an itinerary we will enjoy in 2010 or 2011. We would have done the Northern Europe 7 day one if it included Amsterdam, but it didn't. DH was actually excited about that. Plus DH will have more vacay days then, so maybe we could do a longer cruise in 2010 or 2011 and see more of Europe than we would get to next year.

Since it is expensive I would pick a later date with a longer cruise on an itinerary I'm really interested in. :)

At this point in time I would go for the most bang for your buck. To me cruising on the ship is the most important part so I wouldn't spend that much for the destination. Not saying I haven't sometimes, but in your case it sounds like the caribbean would be a good fit since you don't seem sold on Europe. Save Europe for a time when you really love the intinerary & you can go for more than 7 days. You can make a caribbean cruise just as special for your 40th.

If you're planning a European cruise for your 40th it's simple. Book the Caribbean or Hawaii this year, and in 3 years book Europe. This means you won't be 40 for another 3 years.:D

Exactly! I'm actually celebrating my "year of turning 40" like Disney does their "Year of a million Dreams" over the span of 2 and a half years as it is. lol. I may as well extend my turning 40 another 3 years. :)

If it were me, I'd go on a Caribbean cruise this time around and go to Europe when the exchange rates are better.

When the exchance rates are better :confused: .... that may (and probably) never happen in our lifetimes. ;)

My grandmother would not let my grandfather build a new house on their ranch until the cost of construction came down. They had the pad on the hilltop all graded, ready to go. The died never having built that house.

The 7 day itenary is a basic "mini-cruise" ex UK and is aimed mainly at the UK market as a cheap introduction to cruises.

Lisbon is a lovely port - but the others are nothing special.

Better options would be a 12 night ex UK cruise of the Baltic - much more interesting ports of call - Germany, Russia, etc.

If you want to do the main Med ports - Pisa, Rome, Monte Carlo etc you need to sail 14 nights ex-UK or sail from Barcelona.

Hello,

Not knowing your $ situation and your and your husband's personalities:

(1) Time a cruise to when it is best considering your time restraints (when you can take a vacation, how many vacation days are available), don't time to a date like your birthday (i.e. take a cruise when it is likely to be the best experience for you).

(2) It is true that women, especially, remember good experiences, but especially bad experiences -- so planning is so important (especially when spending more than for a "romantic" dinner for two).

(3) Although long tourist-class flights are less than comfortable, either use a discount carrier (all business class) or upgrade with points (if you have the chance). Or, at your age "suck it up" and go cattle car (have you checked the difference for an 8 hour experience?). There are good reasons on such expensive travel to fold it into the cruise price so that Princess Gold will also cover the airfare (take it from me, when your wife has a horrble fall when walking with a girlfriend 5 days before our flight, great to have insurance to get a refund of $$$ -- not only for the aged and infirm on multiple medications).

(4) A European cruise experience of any value is at least 12 nights. Adding travel time and time to correct for jet lag and time to see beginning and ending ports puts you closer to 3 weeks. We have rescheduled our Barcelona to Venice Grand Mediterranean cruise for late May -- look at the ports and the travel with the minimum of "days at sea" used for recuperation, not the pleasure of it. 3 days in Barcelona and 3 days in Venice (apartments) are way better than 1st class and a suite! A European cruise should be the ports and the tour experiences, I'll be putting together (again) 7 private tours that maximize history/culture/art experiences for groups of 8 that cost less than the ship's tours of (often) 40 passengers in buses. In such a cruise you really don't need a suite (not like a hotel experience), but a balcony is a definite plus for the coming in/going out and for privacy on the days at sea. Also, Princess has the option of serving you dinner on your balcony (?)

(5) If you don't have more than 9-12 days for a vacation, and you can go in the summer, delay the Europe bit (husband's interest in Northern Europe would best be met late June/Early August -- or even after mid-August if school-aged children are not an issue for you). From my perspective, a memorable cruise should be memorable for both of you. Seems like you know what Caribbean is about, it will be comfortable and maybe the "splurging" is about the size of cabin and leg space on the plane. If you have clear time limits and want to remember your husband also being happy (maybe he doesn't like to troop through ancient cities every day), I strongly encourage you to check on Alaska. Last August we took our youngest child and his wife on a 7-night out of Seattle (shortest flight, can add 1-2 nights in Seattle if you've never been there -- did Marriott Waterfront which was right by aquarium and 5 minutes from famous market). We love seeing whales, going to Buchardt gardens in Victoria, spending the day in Glacier Bay. Princess and Holland America are the Alaska experts. Have also done Glacier Bay out of Vancouver which would allow visits to this beautiful city and perhaps ferry to Victoria (gardens and natural history museum, well worth another 2 hotel nights at both cities).

(6) My advice would not be to return to the Caribbean in May and IMHO Hawaii is for the rented car, beautiful view room, veging on the beach, eating the buffet breakfast, etc. with Kauii and the big island my favorite. I would not pay for a suite on a ship or pay for 1st class on airfare (we've upgraded and don't remember the experience -- we do remember being upgraded in 1970 to first class to Rome at the plane's convenience, then an incredible surprise when plane's had second floor lounges, caviar, etc.

Hope you enjoy your planning and wish you the very best. You can upgrade your kitchen in any month. My thought is that our economy won't improve much over the next several years. Perhaps upgrading your kitchen isn't a good financial move considering where you live, I also expect that our weak USD is hear for a long time following the last 7 years of pure folly. Make prudent financial moves rather than memorializing your aging process.

You can always eat out for your birthday and have some combined celebration (anniversary, etc.) for a cruise.

David

Oh - and if you are cruising in May, the seas in Biscay can be a bit choppy. (Warning - understatement!)

I did the same cruise in May 2006 - we got 120 mph winds and 45 ft waves. It was certainly an experience - but it wasn't a sunshine holiday.

If anyone else reading this was on that cruise - we were the group of 8 that stood on our chairs to sing.....

We faced force 12 gales in Biscay Bay

Our faces all turned grey

On this our holiday

.... to the tune of "Yellow Submarine !!!

As I say - I wouldn't have missed that cruise for the world - made some great friends - but it certainly wasn't smooth. At least we got great souvenir pictures of the waves breaking over the ship's bow - and that's 7 decks up!

You only live once!! Do the cruise because you never know what tomorrow will bring

Could it be that you're not that excited about it because your husband isn't? I'd like to think that his feelings would change over time. You know...the closer the cruise, the more excited you get, or to some the excitement & anticipation starts on the plane.

Good luck with your decision making.

I switched the Europe cruise to the Southern Caribbean on an April 5th sailing. So I will actually be on the ship during my birthday instead of almost 2 months later. :)

My DH hates to fly and was nervous about flying over water for a long time. So I thought the first class would be comforting for him. We're thinking about going to Europe in a couple of years and do London and Paris. And then maybe do a Northern Europe cruise or maybe Med, once DH has seen that flying to Europe isn't so bad.

I thought it out a lot and realized what was most important to me for my 40th birthday trip was to be pampered. And that's what I plan on doing. I feel really good about changing to the Southern Caribbean. I don't have any feelings of regret.

I really would have hated to have spent all that money on europe and then wonder why I wasted so much money if the itinerary was a let-down.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Archived