Having buyers remorse for my big 40th bday cruise

LoraJ

Right now we're booked on a 7 day cruise next may from Southampton England to France, Spain and Portugal. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but my DH has had no desire to go. My 40th birthday is next year and I wanted to do something big, so I booked us a Suite on the Grand Princess and was planning on flying us out there First Class.

But now I am starting to have second thoughts. Frist of all, I'm not really that excited about the ports anymore, except for Lisbon. And with the economy the way it is, I am starting to think maybe I sholdn't be splurging so much. especially since I keep putting off re-doing our kitchen and buying a new car.

So I am contemplating sticking with what I have booked or switching to a different cruise. Thinking of doing a Southern Carib. itinerary on the Caribbean Princess either the week of my birthday or the one the week after that seems to have more interesting ports.

I would still go all out and book a suite (if there are any left). And one good thing about switching to a warmer climate is now we'd be able to enjoy MUTS and UBD.

While my final payment isn't due until March, I don't want to waffle about it until then and not have ther ebe any suites left.

Sigh! I don't know what to do.

That certainly is a difficult decision! Since it is your birthday, do what you want to do! Looks like you have done a lot of Caribbean cruises, so maybe I would give the edge to trying out Europe!

New kitchens and cars usually do not make memories like a cruise will, especially for your 40th birthday.

Going all out flying first class and cruising in a suite can not be beat in my opinion. Whatever your decision I am sure it will be a great 40th birthday!

Good Luck!

Right now we're booked on a 7 day cruise next may from Southampton England to France, Spain and Portugal. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but my DH has had no desire to go. My 40th birthday is next year and I wanted to do something big, so I booked us a Suite on the Grand Princess and was planning on flying us out there First Class.

But now I am starting to have second thoughts. Frist of all, I'm not really that excited about the ports anymore, except for Lisbon. And with the economy the way it is, I am starting to think maybe I sholdn't be splurging so much. especially since I keep putting off re-doing our kitchen and buying a new car.

So I am contemplating sticking with what I have booked or switching to a different cruise. Thinking of doing a Southern Carib. itinerary on the Caribbean Princess either the week of my birthday or the one the week after that seems to have more interesting ports.

I would still go all out and book a suite (if there are any left). And one good thing about switching to a warmer climate is now we'd be able to enjoy MUTS and UBD.

While my final payment isn't due until March, I don't want to waffle about it until then and not have ther ebe any suites left.

I say prioritize...as you can always take the Europe cruise at a later date, then do that...especially if you are not that excited anyways. I say, take a cheaper cruise and still get your suite or a balcony and save the money to put towards your kitchen and car.... You can still do something big for your 40th on the ship, but just take the cheaper cruise. I would hate for you to pay all that money and have regret. :D

I say prioritize...as you can always take the Europe cruise at a later date, then do that...especially if you are not that excited anyways. I say, take a cheaper cruise and still get your suite or a balcony and save the money to put towards your kitchen and car.... You can still do something big for your 40th on the ship, but just take the cheaper cruise. I would hate for you to pay all that money and have regret. :D

That's the thing, I am worried I will regret it. Do the cheaper cruise and then save up for an itinerary we will enjoy in 2010 or 2011. We would have done the Northern Europe 7 day one if it included Amsterdam, but it didn't. DH was actually excited about that. Plus DH will have more vacay days then, so maybe we could do a longer cruise in 2010 or 2011 and see more of Europe than we would get to next year.

You indicated May - even if Princess if showing options in the Caribbean for May, it is unlikely that the schedule will remain that way. They have been pulling ships in late April and early May for Europe, Alaska and South America.

You might want to double check your options, and then make a decision.

You indicated May - even if Princess if showing options in the Caribbean for May, it is unlikely that the schedule will remain that way. They have been pulling ships in late April and early May for Europe, Alaska and South America.

You might want to double check your options, and then make a decision.

My birthday is in April. The cruise in May was a late celebration since that was when the first 7 day was.

Have you priced Business Class air to Europe? Major Ouch!! I couldn't see spending that much money for 7 days. I love Europe and would always pick a European vacation over an alternative, but not for 7 days. It's along way to go and a lot of $$$$$$$$

If it were me, I would do something less expensive, but still a treat, and save up for a longer intinerary in Europe. 7 days does not seem like a long enough trip for me in Europe. To travel all that way (time changes, expense, etc) and only take a 7 day trip seems like a waste to me (just my opinion). If I could only afford 7 days, I'd do it up right somewhere else, like the carribean or mexican riviera and save up for a longer trip to Europe. Have a happy birthday what ever you decide:D

Just a thought - look into a European river cruise. They are great if you want to see the countries in Europe. We have been from Amsteram to the Black Sea on a couple of river cruises. Can't be beat if that's your style. When pricing, note whether international airfare is included.

Shouldn't he be doing this for you?? :D

If I left it up to him, we'd be spending my birthday in Atlantic City. :)

My mom also suggested a river cruise. I'd have to look into that, but I don't think we have the time for one next year. :(

That's the thing, I am worried I will regret it. Do the cheaper cruise and then save up for an itinerary we will enjoy in 2010 or 2011. We would have done the Northern Europe 7 day one if it included Amsterdam, but it didn't. DH was actually excited about that. Plus DH will have more vacay days then, so maybe we could do a longer cruise in 2010 or 2011 and see more of Europe than we would get to next year.

The flight from here to there can be a bit tiring so 1st Class is a great idea. Between those flights, a longer 10-12-14 day cruise would fit the bill nicely. At least, that has been our experience.

Good luck with the planning.

Do the cruise to Europe!! Ditch the business class airfare, fly coach, and stay a few days pre/post cruise in London. You won't regret it! Europe is absolutely amazing.

Nobody ever talks about the year they re-did the kitchen, but you'll always talk about the year you went overseas! :)

For my 50th!!!! birthday coming up (next week, in fact) I had planned on going to Europe, either cruise or land-based (and yes, in my family I'm the official travel planner too LOL). But between airfare (flying anywhere from Puerto Rico is soooo expensive!) and the Euro, we decided months ago to postpone Europe and go to Alaska instead. It's not that we couldn't afford it, but I really didn't want to spend untold thousands on this trip. Sure, it's my birthday, but I want to enjoy it, not spend it thinking "oooohhhh this is costing so much" KWIM?

Whatever you decide, I wish you a wonderful birthday and a splendid holiday!

We're in the same boat...booked a Euro cruise for June of next year. However, now with the price of everything shooting through the roof we are unsure about going. We have been debating about moving to a mexican riviera itinerary since we've done the caribbean (east and west and this year southern). I was hoping we could move our reservation over to Oasis of the Seas in December 2009 or for spring break 2010. but I don't want to wait until bookings start in september to make a change fearing that if Oasis doesn't work out we won't get any good rooms on whatever we do book.

An option you MIGHT consider is that rather than going first or business look into premium coach....it offers a bit more room and more entertainment/ dining options for about 50% more than regular coach. British Airways offers this class from most major US airports.

I will say this, its too much money to spend on an itinerary you're only luke warm on....spend it on something you'll love instead.

Lora:

A 7 day cruise to Europe is not worth it unless you live in Europe. We just finished a 12 day British Isle cruise and that was worth it. We enjoyed it but though we got home on Friday, we are still waking up at 4 and 5 a.m. as it was 5 hours ahead in Great Britain.

You might like the Caribbean Cruise in April. It sounds like a great option and save the European one until you can spend more time than a week.

Amsterdam is nice and many European cruises have that in their itinerary.

You can do a Caribbean Cruise that has Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao or even St. Maarten. They are kind of Dutch.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Just another thing to note - if its the last week in May it will be a weeks holiday for the UK schools and there will be alot of kids onboard.

Princess always does a 7 day cruise over whitsun holidays to capture the UK school holiday. Weather also at that time can either be lovely but for the last couple of years cold and wet :( .

I'd think about saving for a cruise that the ports excite you, thats just my opinion.

P.S. we did the iberian interlude on the sea princess May 2007 and had a fantastic cruise but we had kids in our group and as it was to celebrate our parents 40th wedding anniversairy it was very special to us. I guess what I'm trying to say is it depends what you want out of the cruise. Good luck with your decision.

Think you might be going through a midlife crisis ;)..:p

Dilemmas~dilemmas!

Sounds like your heart is not into this cruise.

Shame, sounds like a really nice birthday gift, all of us should be this fortunate.

Only you can answer is.

If you're truly not that excited about going,

change the cruise to something you would

really appreciate and have no ill feelings about.

Good Luck and Happy Birthday~

Sounds like you will really answer your own question as you continue to think it through...

1. To spend that time and money, you should be excited to go...and with DH going along, he should be excited too. Does not sound like either of you are 'ecstatic'

2. The itinerary is not what you really want...so you would be 'settling' for what is offered

3. You will have more vacation time to do it 'right' in a couple of years...plus additional time to save money to truly make it special beyond belief without breaking today's bank.

40 is a fun time....50 was a fun time. heck, they are all fun - hehehehehe

And so many ways to spend a birthday.

Based only on your own comments and 'tone' I am reading into your messages, I'd wait.

Good luck with the decision....and an early Happy Birthday to You!

Congratulations on your upcoming celebrations.

Sometmes people are very set on the itinerary, they know what they want and want what they know. On our recent cruise, I met 5 other women celebrating our 50th birthdays. Throughout the cruise I heard that ports are sometimes suprisingly fabulous and sometimes not what we are thinking. So for us it turned out that we loved the unexpected and enjoyed being suprised. I had one port that had been on my list for 20 years. When I finally got there is was amazing but on the whole number 4 as we ranked them later!

On airfare, we fly coach and wish it were business class, but next year when we go back to Europe, from Hawaii, we are purchasing air early to make sure I can control the cost. Even still ,my money will go on excursions we set up DIY style, spa treatments, specialty restuarants etc. rather than business class.

A suite sounds fabulous, but depending on how busy you are on some ships, maybe a mini? We had one on a last minute upgrade and loved it but to tell you the truth on a heavy port trip cruise I am not sure you would miss it. Because we were in Europe early this year I watched a lot of last minute fares and i go the impression that going early would give you better pricing, late April, early May etc.

My husband wouldn't plan my vacation for me either, but he is lovable in other ways, not all ways but enough ways. ;)

Finally, Europe is amazing on a cruise ship, we saw more were busier, were more pampered than any vacation we have ever taken.

My 50th in Europe was great, and I want a new kitchen, but it can wait a couple of more years. Because since i got home, all I have been doing is planning on going again. But did I freak out with the bucks I was spending and wonder if I wasn't nuts even on the way to the airport? Yep, that is exactly what happened. It was however a trip of a lifetime, I plan on having again and again.

I noticed you have not been to Alaska or taken an Hawaiian cruise. You might just consider one of those. But like the others have said and I agree, your heart just does not seem to thrilled about it at this time. I would not wait, I would look around for one with a suite and go for it. Heres an example of a good trip, instead of flying across country, take Amtrak, that way you also get to see the USA and then go to Alaska.

Life is short. i would take the cruise in a second and ditch the kitchen.....but not to Europe for only a week. You need to do at least 10 days, IMO. The flight is too long and too expensive.

I have been in suites before, For a port intensive cruise, I would think about saving money booking a mini suite. Go business class and enjoy the memories you create!

Archived