??? Garment bag on wheels

love2sale

I am wanting to purchase one of the garment bags on wheels. I am kinda at a loss with it and need some input. Garment bag which holds your hanging clothes. I have been looking on the internet to find one which have found many. Here is my dilemma??? Most of these bags are 42" to 43" in height X 23" in width and 31/2" to 4" in depth. I came across one that is only 20" in height 23" in width and 9" in depth. So, with that someone that maybe has one of these can you give me some information about the difference in the depth??? I am going to Alaska and will have some bulky clothing and need something that will hold all the bulky stuff and formal stuff so, what would be my best choice??? Thanks for the help with this dilemma I am having.:confused:

I would suggest you think twice about the garment bag altogether. Many suitcases have a garment bag in them and should be big enough to handle what you don’t want to fold. As far as the bulky items like sweaters compression bags may be a better choice. There are also many choices of light weight clothing that you can layer with like Under Armor so you don’t have to take bulky clothing or coats. If you do want to take a bulky coat wear it on the airplane.

Shak

Wearing a coat on a plane in August in Texas??? Sorry, that is not an option I would have a heat stroke. I already have luggage and it doesnt do well with my formal items. Don't have lots of bulky stuff just a jacket that is not all that bulky. It's the 3 in 1 squall jacket. It's just that both hubby and I both have one plus his suit and other formal wear. So this is why I am wondering about this garment bag??? Thanks Shak for your reply.. Do need to get some of them space bags to help with space just don't want to go over the weight limit. Knowing me I probably would with the extra space I would have.

I have two wheeled garment bags and LOVE them for cruises. I have a Ricardo (a great brand) and a Trump... they are both large. I find they hold all my night time stuff... and have places for shoes and other things. If you have a Ross's or TJMAXX...or Steinmart... I would check there first before you buy one on line. They have some great prices on them if they are in stock. Otherwise, I bought my Ricardo at Macy's when they had a sale. BUT, they aren't cheap. I think they work a lot better than a regular suitcase for nice clothes.

I have an Atlantic brand rolling garment bag and I love it. It is tapestry cloth and very durable. When you pack use dry cleaning bags between your clothes and they won't wrinkle.

I am wanting to purchase one of the garment bags on wheels. I am kinda at a loss with it and need some input. Garment bag which holds your hanging clothes. I have been looking on the internet to find one which have found many. Here is my dilemma??? Most of these bags are 42" to 43" in height X 23" in width and 31/2" to 4" in depth. I came across one that is only 20" in height 23" in width and 9" in depth. So, with that someone that maybe has one of these can you give me some information about the difference in the depth??? I am going to Alaska and will have some bulky clothing and need something that will hold all the bulky stuff and formal stuff so, what would be my best choice??? Thanks for the help with this dilemma I am having.:confused:

I have 2 American Tourister Rolling Garmet Bags that we love for crusing. They are packed away right now but If I remember correctly they are probably 42 to 43" high and 4 to 5 inches deep when open. Once folded double to roll they would be 20" high and 9" deep. Maybe the 2nd bag is giving the folded dimensions?

Mary Lou

well after the zipper broke on my regular loose fold garment bag, I bought one with wheels and it zips all the way around to close it.

I hate it. It holds nothing compared to the old one.:mad:

The one with wheels just smashes everything just like it was in a suit case anyway. May as well just use a suit case and half more room. I like the idea behind a garment bag. No smashing the cloths.

Its back to a loose one for me.:D

We bought ours at Kohl's VERY REASONABLE. They were great for our last cruise. DH put his tux and suit, along with the dress shirts and slacks. I packed all of my dresses and shoes in mine.

IT WAS THE BEST PURCHASE!!

We bought ours at Kohl's VERY REASONABLE. They were great for our last cruise. DH put his tux and suit, along with the dress shirts and slacks. I packed all of my dresses and shoes in mine.

IT WAS THE BEST PURCHASE!!

Yes, the rolling garment bags go on sale quite a bit there too. They are the bomb! I hook mine to my other big case and I can actually manuver them both. They are heavy together, but I can do it.

Wearing a coat on a plane in August in Texas??? Sorry, that is not an option I would have a heat stroke. I already have luggage and it doesn't do well with my formal items. Don't have lots of bulky stuff just a jacket that is not all that bulky. It's the 3 in 1 squall jacket. It's just that both hubby and I both have one plus his suit and other formal wear. So this is why I am wondering about this garment bag??? Thanks Shak for your reply.. Do need to get some of them space bags to help with space just don't want to go over the weight limit. Knowing me I probably would with the extra space I would have.

Well first, I just have to ask about your posting name. Is it really for "love to sail" or is it just that you Texans are poor spellers as are we Arkansans? :D

I think you could just carry the coat onto the plane and not be challenged at boarding.

I have owned two rolling garment bags and several non-rolling garment bags. I have always tended to stuff too much into these bags. I always stuff socks, underwear, and other items all over the place inside the main compartment to fully load the bag. I also put so much into the large side pocket that sometimes it is all that I can do to zip it closed. My present wheeled garment bag has a long rip in the side pocket, courtesy of the airlines.

I have now switched to a regular luggage Ricardo about 25 inches tall, not the largest. The Ricardo luggage seems to be unique in that their bags have a separate, but full height and width, compartment for hanging clothes. This will not "hang" as much as the regular hanging bag, but the advantage is that the other, larger portion of the bag is better suited for other clothing than is the regular rolling hang bag.

I think I will stay with the Ricardo. As someone else did, I bought mine at Kohl's. Never pay full price. They seem to always have sales for luggage. Another possibility for purchase of luggage might be "Tuesday Morning" They always have much luggage here at the Fayetteville store. I don't think they typically have Ricardo, but they often do have many other name brands. Their pricing goes from extremely good to not so good.

Now you have so much advice that I'll bet you are sorry you asked. :D

Bob :cool:

Never can have to much advice. Thanks to hylasgirl for helping me make up my mind. Bobblsc, as far as my name goes I wanted love2sail but, it was taken. I sale real estate so I went for that spelling. Thanks to all for your advice and input with the brand and the stores.

You can also check on ebags.com They often have good prices on closeout colors, etc. I bought my current luggage which was a discontinued color at 1/2 the price of the current models. They also carry the full lines of current bags. They often have free shipping as well.

Just love, Love, LOVE my Delsey Helium Pro rolling garment bag. It's called a "closet." Only thing I didn't love is that the color choice was limited so I got black, but some colorful ribbons or name tags will help you find it. I DO love it, however, because when you hang it up it zips down the middle (not all around the edge) so it looks and acts like a closet. Then the "doors" have their own little labeled compartments for sweaters and stuff and there's even a nice little labeled compartment at the bottom for shoes. I bought mine at a place in our hometown called Luggage4Less for $180, but saw it at Macy's as well for a little more, maybe $240. I know they're also on line. Good luck picking the right bag, but just wanted to chime in that I LOVE mine and am looking forward to using it in October. :D

I had an old "Skyways" rolling garment bag...and had a few issues with it...

So, when I replaced it, I did some careful research...

...and ended up buying a "Pathfinder"...

http://www.paragonluggage.com/link_products/garment.html

In fact, I just bought a second one for my wife...

Size alone is not the major factor...

The two things that gave me trouble with the old Skyways were...

a) The handle jamming

b) The hanger clip coming loose

What I found about my Pathfinder bags was...

a) superior construction including a well crafted, sturdy handle which does not jam

2) DOUBLE "Wally Clips" or "trolley clips" or whatever they call them...These are metal clamps with a foam interior which hold any coathanger--even the ordinary metal ones you have hanging around the house--snugly and with no problems--They don't come undone and you don't need special hangers...And there are two of them, one on either end of the bag so you can hang things in both directions, not overburdening one clip and better distributing weight and bulk in the bag...

Though there are some other excellent quality, similar products out there, this one seemed to be the best combination of quality and price (you can get them for far less than the MSRP)...Cheaper bags all seem to have a few issues--lesser quality zippers, flimsier handles, bad clips...

We also love our rolling garment bags. I am now on my second one, wore out the first one, by Atlantic. It wouldn't stand up on its own, and eventually got beaten up by much rough handling.

We now have one by Ricardo, which, BTW, I chose because it was 4 inches longer than most. I can get lots of hanging clothes in it without wrinkling if the plastic dry cleaning bags are left on.

Also got two 25 inch Pullmans to match about a year later with built-in scales. Don't know why more companies don't put built-in scales. Love them. No more worrying if I stuffed it too heavily.

Just love, Love, LOVE my Delsey Helium Pro rolling garment bag. It's called a "closet." Only thing I didn't love is that the color choice was limited so I got black, but some colorful ribbons or name tags will help you find it. I DO love it, however, because when you hang it up it zips down the middle (not all around the edge) so it looks and acts like a closet. Then the "doors" have their own little labeled compartments for sweaters and stuff and there's even a nice little labeled compartment at the bottom for shoes. I bought mine at a place in our hometown called Luggage4Less for $180, but saw it at Macy's as well for a little more, maybe $240. I know they're also on line. Good luck picking the right bag, but just wanted to chime in that I LOVE mine and am looking forward to using it in October. :D

love2sale--you won't need bulky clothes in Alaska. Summer temps are a bit cooler, but not cold enough for coats. Think layers. On our Summit cruise/tour in Aug. '03 we each brought a windbreaker and a sweatshirt and never needed them except on boat excursions at the Hubbard Glacier where the wind was pretty strong.

I did see people bundled up at the Hubbard Glacier, but I was fine in my sweatshirt and windbreaker w/hood. And it was for only an hour or so--not worth the hassle of bringing a lot of heavy stuff. Our friends flew to a glacier out of Talkeetna and walked on it and didn't bundle up much.

Thanks for all the input. Kathie44 I am not planning on bringing alot of bulky clothing just 2 3n1 squall jackets and my hubby suit and of course my formals and layers. Thanks again to everyone!! Have a safe and wonderful 4th of July

• 4 months later...

Hi,

DH & I have traveled with Travelpro wheeled luggage. The rollon has a built in garment holder ( I have gotten 3pr lady's pants & 1 ladies jacket into mine w/o wrinkles). On our Alaska (& other travels) we used compression bags-they really work. We used a 25" & 21" bags on cruises-don't over pack. If you really have a huge amt to pack consider using Fed Ex or UPS to ship bags. If you are satying in a hotel prior to sailing jhave bags shipped there. Also you might consider shipping things you no longer need back home.

Carole

I think you could just carry the coat onto the plane and not be challenged at boarding.

We are flying from winter to summer (and back). We will want to wear our coats (and hats, gloves, etc) on to the plane. I plan to stick a zip-flat dufflebag in our carry-on and pack it with our winter gear once we board the flight so that we don't lose anything as we change planes, etc.

We do have one of these bags we bought several years ago and use it on every cruise. Not only does it have a lot of room for hanging garments, it has lots of pockets on the outside to hold other items.

But - like some of our other older luggage it is very heavy - about 16 pounds empty!! We've replaced most of our other luggage with bags weighing under 10 pounds. That extra 5 to 7 pounds is important with all the airline baggage limits and charges - especially if you ever fly on local flights overseas. Some of the rolling garment bags are a little heavier but if you look around you might be able to find one at not much over 10lbs.

Another poster mentioned ebags. I like that site as well as other online luggage sites. It takes some time looking through them, as they have such a good selection, but they are nice. And I've found the people that work at these sites are very helpful if you email and ask questions or tell them what you want and ask for recommendations.

I've had good luck with the lighter weight bags made by Skyway. They are inexpensive and have held up satisfactorily despite being very light weight. They discontinued the line I had (ultra-no weight) but have a newer line called Montage that is almost as light and has a rolling garment bag. Might be worth looking at.

Love my garment bag.

Anyway regarding your questions about the measurements:

The difference in measurements that you noticed is because the bags are being measured differently.

When you open up the bag so it is in a hanging position, the height is 42-42" with a width of 3 1/2 to 4 inches.

The second group of measurements is with the bag in the closed up position, all folded over. that is why you notice a difference in depth and height. With the second bag, the depth is listed as 9", so if hung up and not doubled up, the width would be 4 1/2 inches or slightly wider than the previous bag. Same with the length.

I'd likely to with a bag with the largest depth.

Have fun shopping.

Archived