Do You Really Need A Balcony For Alaska?

hollon

If you have to decide between spending your money on a balcony or spending it on excursions, I would opt for spending my money on the excursions. IMHO. :D

Don't believe it would be warm enough in Alaska in May, to sit out on your Balcony..

I completely agree with Mousey...We leave for Alaska on Aug 08 & have booked an Ocean view cabin on HAL..We will be out on deck to see what we want to see...Spend the extra $$$ on quality Excursions...

JMO...Cheers..:) Betty

Our 1st cruise was in May, and we spent a lot of time on the balcony. Just bring the right clothes. And the right clothes depends on where you live ... I live in NH and was fine with a sweater ... but we were with some southerners and she lived in my winter jacket ... so keep that in mind ... and like these boards all say .. layers! :)

To the OP, did you think you would get so many replies?:D

As mentioned earlier, some of us cannot afford a balcony,....

If its a choice between that and staying home? Its a no

brainer for me~I pick the cheaper cabin:) and then

join the others on here who are talking about being out

on deck;)

Oh, last time I went they were serving steaming hot soup

outside too:D

If you have to decide between spending your money on a balcony or spending it on excursions, I would opt for spending my money on the excursions. IMHO. :D

We had a balcony, and did amazing excursions, but if it's one over the other, I too would go with the excursions. Just remember, on a cruise to AK, you are on the ship for extended periods of time. It's not like the Caribbean where all of the islands are close to one another. You have a lot of traveling to do in order to get from one location to another. Our friends had an obstructed view cabin, and spent most of their waking hours while on board in our cabin.

I will let you know in two weeks. . .we have an inside booked for the Pearl.:) It was not about not being able to "afford" the balcony. We just didn't feel any extra $2,000 warranted a balcony. BUT, we are not the type of people to stay in our cabin. . .we prefer to walk around, sit on the deck, be with other people. But, if you think you would like to spend most of the time in your cabin, then you might think the extra $2,000 spent was warranted. So I think the short answer is, it is a matter of personal preference. . . .but there is nothing you can see from your balcony that can't be seen from the deck or one of the lounges. . . jmo

I booked a balcony cabin on the Carnival Spirit only because it was only a few hundred dollars more than oceanview. It was by far the most inexpensive balcony cabin to Alaska. So if you want to try a balcony but not spend much more money, Carnival might be the way to try it out.

I had a balcony on my trip to Alaska and I really love having a balcony but I have to say that I spent all my time out on the deck when we were going through the glaciers so I don't think one is really necessary. The next time I go to Alaska I will probably get an inside cabin and spend the money on excursions.

Personally, wouldn't cruise without a balcony - especially to Alaska. BUT it is entirely up to you and your priorities. We sailed to Alaska on May 31st to June 7th, and spent literally hours on our balcony - didn't matter how cool it was. Its so peaceful, and the opportunity to watch for whales (even tho they're off in the distance and you can't see them well) is such a big draw for me. Had breakfast every morning on our balcony, and every evening at sail away from port, we sat out there with our neighbors, enjoying our last glimpse of that particular port. Its light so late at that time of the year, it feels like a bonus to have that time outside - usually in your robe or jammies, but who the heck cares??? If you can swing it, go for it. You won't be sorry! If not, take full advantage of spending as much time on deck as possible. Bon voyage and happy sailing!

Well we are going to Alaska for the first time in Sept. :) WE have never booked a balcony because we would rather spend our money elsewhere. I think it would depend on the type of people you are. We enjoy being on deck, meeting new people, talking with people, and we get up early. We try to stay as close to our daily schedule that we have at home while on vacation. It also depends on you priorities, if money is not an issue then maybe a balcony, and that way you would not say to yourself woulda, shoulda, coulda... if you are trying to stay on a budget then you have to decide...balcony...verses excursions. We decided the excursions are what is important to us, our excursions are costing about the same if not more than the entire cruise.

Can you enjoy Alaska with an inside cabin? I'm positive you can because I know we will but if you want to watch for the occasional whale or wild life you are going to have to spend time next to a window or on the top deck.

IMHO any cruise to Alaska could never be a bad one unless...well I won't go there. However we have visited with people that were in a balcony's and honestly it has never given us that (I wish we would have feeling), actually we came out of those cabins saying to each other, "I am so glad that we booked the high end excursions rather than that high end cabin"... I'm sure you will have a great time...Enjoy:)

We have an aft balcony on Carnival Spirit for our northbound cruise in August.

We spend a lot of time on our balcony reading, watching ships through binoculars or just watching the sea. Even if we weren't doing any shore excursions I'd have booked a balcony cabin.

We are sailing on Radiance 8/29 Vancouver to Seward...

Now I have to say we always do a balcony every cruise we have ever been on.

In Alaska with all there is to see and the whales...Love the whales I have to have a balcony. Plus for some reason the price on this cruise is so reasonable.

With Sr. Discount the Balcony was only $909.00 inside $599.

Now I know it is later in the season but this is a great price, plus I was able to use Air miles for travel. Only 25k to Alaska..ok ok I'm spoiled so we use 50k and are going first class but it is a long flight from Charlotte.

I'll wear layers and layers... but I'll be on that balcony!!!:D

Archived