cruises for family of 5

RMac713

Hello all. I am a newbie here but have been on 2 DCL cruises. In 2003 we went on a 4 day Wonder Cruise in a cat. 4. In 2004 we went on a 7 day Magic cruise in a cat. 6. I have 3 kids, but my parents went in 04 and we put my youngest in their room. That really isn't an option now due to their advancing age and declining health.

The kids still talk about the cruises, and I'm considering going on one (caribbean) in summer of 2010. We were spoiled by having verandahs on our 2 DCL cruises, but now I think DCL is out of our price range, especially since our oldest will be 18. I really like DCL but don't want 2 rooms.

I tried to get an idea on a price for RCCL, but the website says only 4 can be in a room. Is that true for all RCCL ships/cruises? I could get a sample price for 09 on Carnival.

The problem is I don't know about any lines except DCL and since those were really high quality cruises, I'm afraid to book something and get a big letdown.

What cruise lines will allow 5 in a room? And which ones would be best for kids 18, 15 and 12?

Robin M.

The older Destiny class ships on Carnival will still let 5 in a room. Each room is approx 185 sq ft. You will have 2 twins (pushed together to make a queen), 2 bunk beds that fold out from the wall, and your cabin steward will bring in a roll away bed each evening for the 5th person.

The Carnival Destiny class ships include (but are not limited to) Destiny, Triumph, Victory, and Inspiration.

Don't roll your eyes just because I mentioned Carnival. Lot's of Carnival bashers out there and most have never even been on Carnival. I've never sailed on Disney but I've heard great things. You mentioned quality on Disney. I don't really think that going from Disney to Carnival would be the same as going from a BMW to a Kia. I think you might even be pleasently suprised.

There are "Family" Staterooms, but you can't book them online. Call RCI and speak with rep.--they can help you!

Do you have experience with these? Are they comfortable?

I won't roll my eyes at Carnival, I promise! ;) I don't know enough to roll my eyes at any other cruise lines.

Here's a reason why I want some other ideas. I plugged in some summer dates for my family for 2009 (at the ages they will be in 2010) on the DCL site. A 7 night eastern was $13,000, a 4 night Bahamas (which we've done already anyhow) is $7,000. This was a cat. 4 family suite. At the Carnival site a 5 night out of Mobile was about $4200 in a verandah room. I did love DCL, but with the oldest starting college in fall 2010 I can hardly justify those prices.

Robin

The Carnival Destiny class ships include (but are not limited to) Destiny, Triumph, Victory, and Inspiration.

Inspiration is a Fantasy class ship. But that class will also accommodate a family of five. I also suggest that the OP consider Carnival as an option. Since the OP states that fare is a concern, the RCI family stateroom is likely not going to be as appealing.

What about ajoining balconies?

You can get great rates on all major lines, and you will bust DCL's price easy.

We felt that Princess was a comparable cruise to Disney, for far less $.

We will probably sale RCCL w/ the kids next time, but Princess keeps coming through w/ great prices (we have paid around $500/7 days/pp for each of our 3 Princess cruises; interior room), it may be Princess!

Based on the ages of your children, I also suggest booking 2 cabins with RCCL or Princess. You can book 2 connected cabins or 2 rooms with connected balconies (Princess cruise). You can also consider booking a balcony cabin with an inside across the hall to save some money.

On Royal Caribbean's innovative Voyager class ships you can book a balcony stateroom that connects with an Interior Stateroom. Check out Deck 9 (Aft, Cat D1 and Cat L). Or a Balcony D1 connecting with an Oceanview(Cat F, large 211 s.f.) located forward on Deck 9. Or there are many connecting balconies in various categories on Decks 6,7,8,9,& 10.

Voyager Class ships include the Adventure, Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, and Voyager of the Seas.

Royal Caribbean's Freedom Class of ships also have the Balcony/Interior and Balcony/Oceanview connecting staterooms on Deck 9, as well as many connecting Balcony staterooms on Decks 6,7,8,9,& 10.

The Freedom Class includes the Freedom, Independence, and Liberty of the Seas.

With five of you, and given the age of your children, I think you'd be much more comfortable in two staterooms (two bathrooms, two tvs, storage space, etc.). And you'll likely be pleasantly surprised at the price, compared with your DCL rates. Not to mention a great Royal Caribbean cruise experience for you and your family! :)

We are also a family of 5, and we have put all five of us in a balcony cabin on Carnival Victory - twice. We booked a balcony guarantee both times; the first time we had a balcony on deck 10, the second a balcony on deck 8. Both were very nice cabins. Five in a cabin is definitely a tight fit, but it's doable, especially with a balcony - it gives you some extra breathing space. (The 5-night out of Mobile probably was higher because the verandah cabins on Holiday and Fantasy-class ships are suites.) If you're looking for a 5-day, you might consider Carnival Destiny out of Miami, which will start sailing 4 and 5-day cruises this fall.

While putting 5 in a cabin was less expensive for us, we do book our kids in a separate cabin now - for our and their sanity! We go with a balcony cabin for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids.

I would also suggest booking two rooms! We started doing this when our kids got older and it really helps with the crowding! We booked a balcony for us and put the kids in an inside across the hall. You will have to book 1 adult in each room, but just go to the pursers desk once on board and get an extra key. As long as your kids aren't the wild type who will be out and about in the wee hours--you won't hear them leaving:rolleyes: (we just made sure that they knew that they needed to stay together if they went out of the room) they will be fine. We also have 3 in college now; so it is more economical for us to do it this way--waiting for the kids not to want to go anymore, but that hasn't happened yet!

I would seriously consider 2 rooms. At least price it out both ways. On some ships, it can be cheaper to book 2 lower category type rooms such as interior rooms than 1 family type suite. And frankly, sometimes the important thing is just getting everyone on the ship for a nice family vacation, without stretching the budget too much.

Look at all possibilities. Price out both Carnival and RCCL, and NCL. All cater to families.

I would also suggest booking two rooms! We started doing this when our kids got older and it really helps with the crowding! We booked a balcony for us and put the kids in an inside across the hall. You will have to book 1 adult in each room, but just go to the pursers desk once on board and get an extra key. As long as your kids aren't the wild type who will be out and about in the wee hours--you won't hear them leaving:rolleyes: (we just made sure that they knew that they needed to stay together if they went out of the room) they will be fine. We also have 3 in college now; so it is more economical for us to do it this way--waiting for the kids not to want to go anymore, but that hasn't happened yet!

We do the same - book a balcony cabin for us, and an inside/promenade across the hall for the kids. Sometimes, this costs only a few dollars more than squeezing us all into a larger balcony. It's usually much less than booking a suite or family room and we gain anothe bathroom.

Incidentally, RCI does NOT require that you book an adult into each cabin, as long as the cabins are in close proximity to each other.

The older Destiny class ships on Carnival will still let 5 in a room. Each room is approx 185 sq ft. You will have 2 twins (pushed together to make a queen), 2 bunk beds that fold out from the wall, and your cabin steward will bring in a roll away bed each evening for the 5th person.

Don't roll your eyes just because I mentioned Carnival. Lot's of Carnival bashers out there and most have never even been on Carnival. I've never sailed on Disney but I've heard great things. You mentioned quality on Disney. I don't really think that going from Disney to Carnival would be the same as going from a BMW to a Kia. I think you might even be pleasently suprised.

I know what you mean by people "rolling their eyes." I think some don't realize that Carnival has to be doing something right - they are are the largest cruise line in the world. We'll be going on the Paradise next week (3-day for July 4th weekend) and then on the Freedom to the Med. I think Carnival has great ships, we've had some of the best service lately and I think they have good sized cabins. Although I think I like the entertainment/activities a little more on RCI, I still think we'll have a great time on the Freedom and we are so looking forward to going on that ship!

Laurie

Hello all. I am a newbie here but have been on 2 DCL cruises. In 2003 we went on a 4 day Wonder Cruise in a cat. 4. In 2004 we went on a 7 day Magic cruise in a cat. 6. I have 3 kids' date=' but my parents went in 04 and we put my youngest in their room. That really isn't an option now due to their advancing age and declining health.

The kids still talk about the cruises, and I'm considering going on one (caribbean) in summer of 2010. We were spoiled by having verandahs on our 2 DCL cruises, but now I think DCL is out of our price range, especially since our oldest will be 18. I really like DCL but don't want 2 rooms.

I tried to get an idea on a price for RCCL, but the website says only 4 can be in a room. Is that true for all RCCL ships/cruises? I could get a sample price for 09 on Carnival.

The problem is I don't know about any lines except DCL and since those were really high quality cruises, I'm afraid to book something and get a big letdown.

What cruise lines will allow 5 in a room? And which ones would be best for kids 18, 15 and 12?

Robin M.[/quote']

Check out the brand-new Carnival Dream that will be going in the water in September '09. If you go to their website, you can see the details. They are building "family suites" that are purpose-built for 5 people.

Good Luck.

My sister has a family of 5 and has, also, sailed on DCL in a family veranda cabin--- what a squeeze!!!! She is (as we speak) on the Carnival Miracle in 2 adjoining balcony cabins now that the kids are older. Can't wait to hear what she says.

My brother will ONLY go in a balcony or JS, but puts his two teens in an inside category directly across the hall -- they don't care a hoot and my bro & SIL get some privacy. Doesn't usually cost any more than paying the 3rd & 4th in a cabin.

So, I recommend you look at a cabin for 2 for you & DH, and an inside adjoining or directly across the hall for the kids. In either case it will more likely cost less than a Family Veranda on DCL. (No disrespect to DCL - it was our first cruise and got us hooked, but is still SO EXPENSIVE :eek: )

Do you have experience with these? Are they comfortable?

I won't roll my eyes at Carnival' date=' I promise! ;) I don't know enough to roll my eyes at any other cruise lines.

Here's a reason why I want some other ideas. I plugged in some summer dates for my family for 2009 (at the ages they will be in 2010) on the DCL site. A 7 night eastern was $13,000, a 4 night Bahamas (which we've done already anyhow) is $7,000. This was a cat. 4 family suite. At the Carnival site a 5 night out of Mobile was about $4200 in a verandah room. I did love DCL, but with the oldest starting college in fall 2010 I can hardly justify those prices.

Robin[/quote']

Just so you know what your looking at.....Let me preface this by saying Carnival Holiday out of Mobile is the only ship we care to cruise until it is replaced. We absolutely love it and are taking our 4 children on it early next year. This is the smallest ship in the Carnival fleet. The Verandah rooms are balcony rooms, but not private balconies. I do not think the cabin itself is any bigger than Inside or Outside cabins. The ship's pools are on the small side (2 plus kiddie wading pool) and 1 water slide. There is Camp Carnival, but no club O2 for teens. I am not telling you this to discourage you, but just so you know what you are looking at. If you are in love with just being on a ship (like us) this would be a great deal for you, but if you are looking for bells and whistles I would look at Carnival Imagination, Inspiration, or Fantasy since the have already or will soon be undergoing the evolutions of fun and are usually reasonably priced. :) This ship works for our family as it has great service, southern hospitality, is small (we do not like huge crowds, and although this ship is smaller and sails full it only seems crowded at lunch at the buffet). Our kids will be 14, 9, 7, 5 at our sailing. The little ones only need a pool, slide and activities so this ship is great for them, the Camp seems outstanding. Our teen is perfectly happy with a bed, mini golf, basketball, arcade, and a quick dip in the pool.

We just booked a balcony on Carnival Triumph for our family of 5 - 19 yr girl, 15yr boy and 9 yr girl on deck 8 with a king bed, 2 fold down bunks and a roll away - we are used to being "close" so this is no problem for us as long as we are cruising we are HAPPY!!! And we don't stay in the room that long anyway other than to sleep.

Since you live in Ohio-- airfare could prove to be more expensive then the cruise itself..

Carnival Pride is moving to Baltimore in Sept 2009 .

This class ship has a balcony cabin connected to an inside. you can see these on the deck plans--located at the front of the ship on each deck starting with deck 5 (5106 so you can see what i mean)

\

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=PR

I have found it to be not much more money to book 2 cabins. Last cruise the total difference was only 200. which for a 7 day cruise was not a lot of money.

Older ships like the fantasy class/or victory/triumph desting allow 5 with a rollaway.

The family staterooms that hold 5 people will cost some $$

You might want to check with Costa-- who sometimes allow kids to sail free

One thing I must tell you, the Disney Wonder was such a beautiufl ship. The only ships I have found that even compared in beauty was HAL. Now HAL is a line I enjoy but I doubt your kids would.

No way would I pay $4200 for 5 people on an old ugly Carnival ship. If you could book a spirit clas ship for that price it would be differant-but as others have said, no spirt class ship has staterooms for 5 people.

You could book two rooms. You could book a balcony and an inside across the hall from you. th tis alowed. That way you would have a balcony and your kids could stay in the inside across the hall but still get to enjoy the balcony some with you.

You would probally enjoy best Princess, or RCI. a Carnival spirit class would be okay also.

MomofMeg....The Holiday is hardly ugly.....would be hard for you to say though, since you have never been on it;) ...The Holiday is a beautiful ship with lots of wood, understated colors, and beautiful mosaics:D and next to no neon! I can send pictures if OP is interested! But I would agree with MomofMeg on one thing.....would not pay $4200 to cruise on it either....bigger ships maybe worth it, but I don't see paying that much for no private balcony.

MomofMeg....The Holiday is hardly ugly.....would be hard for you to say though, since you have never been on it;) ...The Holiday is a beautiful ship with lots of wood, understated colors, and beautiful mosaics:D and next to no neon! I can send pictures if OP is interested! But I would agree with MomofMeg on one thing.....would not pay $4200 to cruise on it either....bigger ships maybe worth it, but I don't see paying that much for no private balcony.

It is still a 20 year old ship and you think the OP WILL not be disapointed crusing that after Disney Wonder? That was my point but maybe I used thr wrong adjective.

HAVE you been on the Disney Wonder? there is no Carnival, RCI, Celebrity or Princess ship that compares. Only HAL has ships can compare to the "feel" of an ocean liner of old tha tth eDsiney Wonder ahs. Lots of teak, marble, brass everywhere.

No I have not been on that ship but friends have and they were disapointed. They said the ship had a sewage smell to it. I have been told this by three separate families that crusied this ship and all at differant times, not together. One family crusied her in May 2007, another family in July 2007 and the third family in April 2008. No way would I spend $4200 just to book a suite on any old ship, not just the Holiday. The OP would do better to book two rooms on a newer ship. That is allowed as long as the children are next door or across the hall from the parents.

Heck even the Celebrity Solstice , a brand new ship, you can book a balcony room next winter for $1200 a person. If the OP books a ship that is not as new ( example-Crown Princess) I am sure they could book two adjoining balconies for $4200 for 5 people and they would get a 7 day and not a 5 day cruise.

It is still a 20 year old ship and you think the OP WILL not be disapointed crusing that after Disney Wonder? That was my point but maybe I used thr wrong adjective.

HAVE you been on the Disney Wonder? there is no Carnival, RCI, Celebrity or Princess ship that compares. Only HAL has ships can compare to the "feel" of an ocean liner of old tha tth eDsiney Wonder ahs. Lots of teak, marble, brass everywhere.

No I have not been on that ship but friends have and they were disapointed. They said the ship had a sewage smell to it. I have been told this by three separate families that crusied this ship and all at differant times, not together. One family crusied her in May 2007, another family in July 2007 and the third family in April 2008. No way would I spend $4200 just to book a suite on any old ship, not just the Holiday. The OP would do better to book two rooms on a newer ship.That is allowed as long as the children are next door or across the hall from the parents.

Heck even the Celebrity Solstice , a brand new ship, you can book a balcony room next winter for $1200 a person. If the OP books a ship that is not as new ( example-Crown Princess) I am sure they could book two adjoining balconies for $4200 for 5 people and they would get a 7 day and not a 5 day cruise.

I know that Holiday is nothing like Disney that is why I made my first post, would hate to see someone disappointed. Disney is not the cruise vacation we would enjoy, but have seen pictures from friends that cruise Disney every year and they are beautiful. We were on Holiday May 2008 and there was a smell when in port on the Riviera deck briefly. DH and I are planning on doing HAL when the kids are grown as they seem to be the kind of ships we are interested in, but know they are not right for our family now (Pretty sure the kids would hate it!) Overall, I agree for the price I would just book 2 cabins, It does not cost much more and you have access to 2 bathrooms to boot!:D

Part of the problem I am having looking right now is that since I have only cruised Disney, I am not used to all of these different ships to choose from. Now I worry that I"ll pick my dream itinerary but have an older ship without the "amenties" (nice pools, teen clubs, newer ship or at least rehabbed). It seems in the Carnival brochure I picked up that the ships which have been redone only do 3 or 4 day Bahama cruises, and we did that on the Wonder. I'm really looking Eastern since we did the Magic Western in 04.

My husband at this point is saying he wants to stay with Disney--but the "word on the street" is that the Magic won't be on the east coast in 2010, and I don't want to do Europe or the west coast. So that would limit us to the Wonder anyhow. I'm still looking at Carnival and RCCL brochures though!

Robin M.

I know that Holiday is nothing like Disney that is why I made my first post, would hate to see someone disappointed. Disney is not the cruise vacation we would enjoy, but have seen pictures from friends that cruise Disney every year and they are beautiful. We were on Holiday May 2008 and there was a smell when in port on the Riviera deck briefly. DH and I are planning on doing HAL when the kids are grown as they seem to be the kind of ships we are interested in, but know they are not right for our family now (Pretty sure the kids would hate it!) Overall, I agree for the price I would just book 2 cabins, It does not cost much more and you have access to 2 bathrooms to boot!:D

You have been on one cruise. I have been on 14. Three of those 14 were old ships. I know what I am talking about. The Holiday would be a MAJOR letdown to the OP after crusing Disney.

Part of the problem I am having looking right now is that since I have only cruised Disney' date=' I am not used to all of these different ships to choose from. Now I worry that I"ll pick my dream itinerary but have an older ship without the "amenties" (nice pools, teen clubs, newer ship or at least rehabbed). It seems in the Carnival brochure I picked up that the ships which have been redone only do 3 or 4 day Bahama cruises, and we did that on the Wonder. I'm really looking Eastern since we did the Magic Western in 04.

My husband at this point is saying he wants to stay with Disney--but the "word on the street" is that the Magic won't be on the east coast in 2010, and I don't want to do Europe or the west coast. So that would limit us to the Wonder anyhow. I'm still looking at Carnival and RCCL brochures though!

Robin M.[/quote']

Robin, for the westrn caribbean have you thought of Carnival Legend? That is a spirit class ship and that class are the best ships that Carnival has to offer. RCI has some gorgeous HUGE ships, which you may be fine with as I am guessing you are younger then me. I do not like the crowds. Also, the Carnival spirit class ships are about the size of the Disney ships.

I believe the Ruby Princess is doing the western caribbean if you go for Princess. the Princess grand class ships hold 3000 people so they are big also, but I found the flow on the grand class much better then the voyager class. I have been told they have good kid's and teen's programs.

I really enjoyed the HAL vista class but I have no young children. Our daughter is in her twenties and she felt she had plenty of night life on HAL, but I can tell you nothing aobut the kid's clubs.

I suggest you go to Carnival, RCI, Princess, and HAL boards and post questions at each. That could help you make your decision. All of these lines will allow you to put your children in a stateroom across from your balcony which you could do a 7 day for the price of that $4200 suite. Or if you were willing to spend a little more you could get adjoining balconies. I myslef, would do either before I spent $4200 on a suite on an old ship

Archived