Shuttle to town??

debt

At Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, it is a short walk to the water taxi which takes you into town. The water taxi used to be $5 pp for all day round trips. It's maybe a 5 minute trip. I believe I saw someone post recently that it is now $6.

For the most part, it is a pay shuttle into town. In Cartagena, Spain, the town provided a free one when we docked one time. The second time we docked right in town so it wasn't necessary. In the Azores, they had a shuttle that picked up by the ship but coming back, it let people off at the end of the pier with a healthy walk back to the ship. I, also, heard that the shuttle left them off four blocks from the town center. I don't know about Funchal because we arranged for a private tour there that picked us up ship side.

We find most of the time it was cheaper to go with another couple and catch a cab. For what it is worth, it was like pulling teeth go get information about shuttle availability and how much it was (got two different answers on the cost from two different people when I asked in the Azores). Nothing was published in the daily newsletter. However, to be fair, this was a trans-Atlantic with a "one time" itinerary but I did feel like they could have inserted a piece of paper, made an announcement at the end of the evening's show when the CD is winding it up, or something to let people know what was available and how much it would be.

Tucker in Texas

As well as offering shore excursions, does RCL offer shuttles into town, like for Vigo, Funchal or Phillipsburg?

We walked out of the port at Funchal and Phillipsburg. There were shuttle buses into Funchal which dropped you off in town. I think there was a nominal charge which is why we walked it.

Archived