HELP--Are we going to be able to go???

The first part of your response is an opinion - you have yours, I have mine.

-but misstating the requirements by saying that everyone will be required to have a passport regardless of where or how they are traveling out of the country is incorrect and just further muddies an already confusing situation.-

I didn't misstate anything - what I posted in post #10 was the CURRENT regulations - and the part that says you can travel on a birth certificate and drivers license.

I said there's confusion and debate on it and we'll see come 2009. Even RCCL's website specifies:

Sea Travel Only (before June 1, 2009)

For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a Passport (valid or expired), valid U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License is highly recommended.

If they were sure the rules were not going to change on June 1, 2009 - why would they even put the date? It implies it they believe it very well could change in June 2009.

I corrected someone in this very thread who told a poster that a passport is required NOW - I know what the current requirements are - I'm not convinced about what they will be in 2009 - by Homeland Security or the cruise lines. It was an accurate statement. The site for the Bud Light chartered cruise DOES say that a passport is REQUIRED and that you can not board the boat without a passport. So to say it's not required ever and never will be is in error.

The chance that any cruiselines will institute a passport policy that is more strict than the one issued by the US government is just about non-existent. It would be financial folly for any line to do so unless there was unanimity among all the lines, and I don't see that happening nor do I see any reason why they should do so.

Before posting your version of what the WHTI will require on or after June, 2009, please read the relevant sections posted on the Department of State's website. Someone has already posted it here and it is quite clear that passengers on roundtrip Caribbean cruises will not be required to have passports, even after June, 2009. Clearly the government has contributed more than its part to the confusion over passport requirements with constantly changing deadlines and conditions, but misstating the requirements by saying that everyone will be required to have a passport regardless of where or how they are traveling out of the country is incorrect and just further muddies an already confusing situation. :rolleyes:

The chance that any cruiselines will institute a passport policy that is more strict than the one issued by the US government is just about non-existent. It would be financial folly for any line to do so unless there was unanimity among all the lines, and I don't see that happening nor do I see any reason why they should do so.

Before posting your version of what the WHTI will require on or after June, 2009, please read the relevant sections posted on the Department of State's website. Someone has already posted it here and it is quite clear that passengers on roundtrip Caribbean cruises will not be required to have passports, even after June, 2009. Clearly the government has contributed more than its part to the confusion over passport requirements with constantly changing deadlines and conditions, but misstating the requirements by saying that everyone will be required to have a passport regardless of where or how they are traveling out of the country is incorrect and just further muddies an already confusing situation. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice.

So muuch that is posted out here is just somones opinion and has little to do with the facts.

Sending someone to the right place to get the facts is always good advise.

Thanks.

Yes it is - that's why I gave the correct link to the gov't website in post #10 :D

Thanks for the advice.

So muuch that is posted out here is just somones opinion and has little to do with the facts.

Sending someone to the right place to get the facts is always good advise.

Thanks.

I said there's confusion and debate on it and we'll see come 2009. Even RCCL's website specifies:

Sea Travel Only (before June 1, 2009)

For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a Passport (valid or expired), valid U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License is highly recommended.

If they were sure the rules were not going to change on June 1, 2009 - why would they even put the date? It implies it they believe it very well could change in June 2009.

So to say it's not required ever and never will be is in error.

The new rules go into effect June 1, 2009 which is why RCL used this date. At one time you were going to need a passport, now you dont.

Carnival USED to have this same date on their website, .... until they updated the information. RCL has not, thats all.

No one said a passport will never be required, but as of right now the NEW rules going into effect June 1, 2009, are exactly the same as the old ones for cruising in a closed loop.

I think telling people it could change and all this other stuff is what is muddying the water. The fact remains for the forseeable future, a passport is not required.

And there is some debate about this - between many people on the boards - I've seen it in a bunch of threads. Heck, on this very thread someone told them very authoritatively that they couldn't go NOW without a passport (wrongly).

I know for a fact that for the Bud Light Party Cruise their site says that you MUST have a passport and that you will be denied boarding without one. As you said - gov't changed the rules before - it's a year away - who's to say they won't again?

I gave a link to the CURRENT rules. And yes - I said what makes me believe it may change. I'm sure you see it as 'muddying the waters' because you wish people only to see what you believe it will be like in 2009. The one poster was just as certain they were right and told them they couldn't cruise without a passport NOW - and was wrong.

I think they should know not everyone agrees with that assessment and to look at the official gov't site in 2009. I was in a thread today where a poster (with tons of cruise history) told people they couldn't check in separately at the port - and even told me emphatically I was wrong - I wasn't.

Why are you for censoring what people read about the subject instead of letting them think about it for themselves and then read the rules in 2009?

The new rules go into effect June 1, 2009 which is why RCL used this date. At one time you were going to need a passport, now you dont.

Carnival USED to have this same date on their website, .... until they updated the information. RCL has not, thats all.

No one said a passport will never be required, but as of right now the NEW rules going into effect June 1, 2009, are exactly the same as the old ones for cruising in a closed loop.

I think telling people it could change and all this other stuff is what is muddying the water. The fact remains for the forseeable future, a passport is not required.

I gave a link to the CURRENT rules. And yes - I said what makes me believe it may change. I'm sure you see it as 'muddying the waters' because you wish people only to see what you believe it will be like in 2009. ?

The NEW rules go into effect June 1, 2009. The fact that the NEW rules which will be implemented on June 1, 2009 are the same for cruises in a closed loop as they are now doesnt meant it is not a new law which starts on that date.

I too gave a link to the rules and dates.

BTW it is a fact that as of June 1, 2009 you will not need a passport as the new law reads. Your opinion that the ruling that starts next June 1st may be changed is not a fact but an opinion.

And some people believe that the rules that go into effect 6/1/09 will require them - whether they will or not I don't know - but I do know it's been the subject of debate here. Those on both sides are just as sure that they are right - like you are. And - for all we know there could be another terrorist attack or some other thing between now and then and they could change the rules again. Is that an opinion - yes; if I stated it as fact then the feds would be at my door.

Me - I already have a passport so it's moot - and I'm gonna wait and see what happens in 2009. And it's a fact that there is at least one RCCL cruise you can't get on without a passport - the Bud Light chartered one. Like I said to the last person who insisted they were the only authority on what would be the passport rules in 2009 - we'll see in 2009 - until then you are arguing about something that is a possibility right up until that date.

edited: There are plenty of folks on the net (not just here) on both sides of this debate, I'm smart enough to realize not everyone agrees on the currently published rules for 2009, and that it's always a possibility and the gov't can change the rules in regards to National Security at any time and without warning and when 2009 comes I'll get my definitive information from the gov't, not someone on an internet board (as we've seen in this very thread can be wrong).

The NEW rules go into effect June 1, 2009. If its changed I believe it will be past the date of the new laws which have already been passed. The fact that the NEW rules which will be implemented on June 1, 2009 are the same for cruises in a closed loop as they are now doesnt meant it is not a new law which starts on that date.

I too gave a link to the rules and dates.

BTW it is a fact that as of June 1, 2009 you will not need a passport as the new law reads. Your opinion that the law that starts next June 1st may be changed is not a fact but an opinion.

Another piece to consider is if there was an emergency back home and they needed to fly out from one of the ports w/out a passport. Wouldn't there be a problem with that?

I realize it was not the OP's question, but think it bears consideration.

Right, that wasnt the question. I have a passport. In fact my 2nd passport runs out early next year. Im hitting that having to reapply for a new passport within 6 months of the end date on my 2nd passport. Iv always had one, just in case I could travel, since I got out of college and just wanted to travel.

To the OP, as soon as the ex returns and you are back from your cruise with your children, get those passports asap! They should be kept in a place that is accessible to your adult children as the passports are their property and since they are adults (18 and 21) should be their responsibilty (just my humble opinion). Although you will NOT need them for your cruise, I am in the camp that everyone should always have a passport since it is the ONLY form of identification accepted in every country in the world as a valid form of identification.

As someone else mentioned having the notorized letter to remove underage children from the country, I've always had a letter like this for border crossings and cruises. I have been asked for it when crossing the US/Canadian border at Niagara Falls. Better be safe than sorry on this issue. I would be in trouble if asked for this while boarding a cruise and not been able to produce it.

I agree with the other posters here that stated that our own government has really clouded this issue with confusion. Since it's obvious that many of us are still unsure about what the actual regulations are, it's fair to say that there may also be confusion among the boarding agents at the ports. So...the safest route is to check the state department website for the regulations when you are traveling. Print a copy of the page and take it with you so that there's no debate at the port.

The other posters are correct that, at this time, the children don't need passports. However, the cruise lines "recommend" that anyone old enough to be required to have a passport have one in case of an emergency where you have to interrupt your trip and fly back from a non US territory. For example, if you had to interrupt your trip and fly back from St. Thomas, USVI, no passport required. If you were in St. Martin and had to fly back, potentially big problems since it isn't a US territory.

Also, just FYI, if the children's passports were obtained prior to the age of 18, I think they may have to get new passports due to their current ages. So, for future possible out of country trips, you should probably get their passports renewed if necessary due to their ages.

Right, that wasnt the question. I have a passport. In fact my 2nd passport runs out early next year. Im hitting that having to reapply for a new passport within 6 months of the end date on my 2nd passport. Iv always had one, just in case I could travel, since I got out of college and just wanted to travel.

?????

If the OP really wanted his adult kids to get passports, they could get them by driving directly to the passport office in New Orleans and get them the same day. Since they are legally adults, they would need to take the proper documentation and do it themselves. It is possible to get a same day passport, but you need to present yourself at a regional passport office.

As for taking children out of the country without both parents, I was "blindsided" by this once quite a few years ago. Had no idea I needed the letter as there was nothing in my documents that said I did and we had never taken our boys on a cruise without both parents so it had never come up. When they asked for the letter from the non-traveling spouse, I told them their father was deceased giving my son "the look." I hated fibbing in front of him but it was either that or we were sitting on the dock in Miami able to take a very nice photo of our ship departing.

On another cruise, my traveling companion was taking her grandchild and a friend of the grandchild and they didn't ask her for anything. She was prepared, though, based on what I had told her of my situation.

Tucker in Texas

Archived