HELP--Are we going to be able to go???

To make a long story short, after our divorce, my wife and I still haven't really sorted our things out (strange, I know, but I have some of her stuff and she has some of mine still). Anyways, I think she has my kids passports and we're supposed to sail on the Enchantment to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in 9 days. The problem is, she's living in our beach house in Florida for a few months, but she's in Cabo with a group of her friends for two weeks, left two days ago.

So even if she does have them theres no way I'm going to be able to get them from the house in the next 9 days.

I didn't completely understand from the RC website, can they go as long as they bring their birth certificates and drivers license? I don't want to tell them until I know for sure so they don't worry about it.

Thanks guys

To make a long story short, after our divorce, my wife and I still haven't really sorted our things out (strange, I know, but I have some of her stuff and she has some of mine still). Anyways, I think she has my kids passports and we're supposed to sail on the Enchantment to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in 9 days. The problem is, she's living in our beach house in Florida for a few months, but she's in Cabo with a group of her friends for two weeks, left two days ago.

So even if she does have them theres no way I'm going to be able to get them from the house in the next 9 days.

I didn't completely understand from the RC website, can they go as long as they bring their birth certificates and drivers license? I don't want to tell them until I know for sure so they don't worry about it.

Thanks guys

Yes, a BC and drivers license is all they need. You obviously haven't completed you online documents yet.

It appears from your signature that you are sailing to the Caribbean. If that is the case neither you or your kids will need to have passports. Birth certificates for everyone and government issued photo ID for you will suffice. However, you may need something signed by your ex-wife attesting to the fact that you can take the children out of the country. Check with the cruiseline for a more authoritative answer, just to be sure what they will demand upon check in.:)

The other poster is correct - relax - deep breath! A passport is not required - take a birth certificate (with seal or watermark) and driver's licenses if they are old enough to have them. If not old enough for licenses they can go on just birth certificates (my youngest did). You can toss in their school ID if they have one to make you feel better to have a photo ID. Or you can even take them to the local DMV and get them State ID cards - about $10-$15 or so.

Enjoy your cruise with your kids!

Thanks guys

As of January, everybody needs passports, birth certificates are no longer accepted. Can you contact somebody she knows perhaps they can get in the house and find the passports for you? Also, is your former wife aware you will be taking the children out of the country, depending upon which state you live there are some laws. Even if you have the birth certificates you won't be getting the passports in time, generally it takes for a rush order which costs more two weeks or a bit longer. I hope you can figure this one out, my kids love cruises.

Poster is correct of course - but don't get too wound up over it since your wife is in Cabo and can't be reached. I took both kids on a 9 day cruise without their father and the issue was never once raised. Is it possible? yes - but you can't do anything about it now - and do not raise the issue yourself with the cruiseline at the port - asking for trouble :)

It appears from your signature that you are sailing to the Caribbean. If that is the case neither you or your kids will need to have passports. Birth certificates for everyone and government issued photo ID for you will suffice. However, you may need something signed by your ex-wife attesting to the fact that you can take the children out of the country. Check with the cruiseline for a more authoritative answer, just to be sure what they will demand upon check in.:)

Thanks for the reples. I was 95% sure they didn't have to have them, but I remember hearing something recently about needing them for air travel to the caribbean and it got me worried. They're 21 and 18 so they have their drivers licenses and I have their birth certificates. I'll use my passport I have to use it flying for business a lot anyways.

Thanks again.

Poster is correct of course - but don't get too wound up over it since your wife is in Cabo and can't be reached. I took both kids on a 9 day cruise without their father and the issue was never once raised. Is it possible? yes - but you can't do anything about it now - and do not raise the issue yourself with the cruiseline at the port - asking for trouble :)

I don't think that's an issue because of their ages. But yeah, it is relaxing knowing that my ex wife is in Cabo and can't be reached ;) .

As of January, everybody needs passports, birth certificates are no longer accepted. Can you contact somebody she knows perhaps they can get in the house and find the passports for you? Also, is your former wife aware you will be taking the children out of the country, depending upon which state you live there are some laws. Even if you have the birth certificates you won't be getting the passports in time, generally it takes for a rush order which costs more two weeks or a bit longer. I hope you can figure this one out, my kids love cruises.

You will NOT need a passport for a closed loop cruise, not now, not in 2009 and not in 2010, no matter what some are posting here. It isnt true, unless you are leaving from one port and not coming back to that port.

At least how the regulations read now.

That is incorrect - you need a passport and birth certificates are no longer acceptable - for land border crossings and for international air travel. Cruise ship pax were exempted from that new iteration of the law.

Land/Sea Travel

Beginning January 31, 2008, the United States will end the practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship at the border.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

Cruise Passengers

U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm#3

Thanks for the reples. I was 95% sure they didn't have to have them, but I remember hearing something recently about needing them for air travel to the caribbean and it got me worried. They're 21 and 18 so they have their drivers licenses and I have their birth certificates. I'll use my passport I have to use it flying for business a lot anyways.

Thanks again.

You can also contact the US State Department and since they are adults, they can usually arrange and pay for a replacement passport. Not sure of the fees, but they can do it. I thought that passports were required for all travel outside of the US now regardless if it is sea or air.

Ah, had the impression that they were minors. Have a great trip with your kids!

I don't think that's an issue because of their ages. But yeah, it is relaxing knowing that my ex wife is in Cabo and can't be reached ;) .

They still wouldn't have them in 9 days - or at least without major $$$$ if even possible. Passports are required for air definitely - and I think land - but I am using my passport on a land border crossing in Aug just to avoid any possible hassle. Besides - it's fun to collect the stamps. Firefly and I disagree on 'if ever' - but we've agree to revisit the topic in 2009 :D

You can also contact the US State Department and since they are adults, they can usually arrange and pay for a replacement passport. Not sure of the fees, but they can do it. I thought that passports were required for all travel outside of the US now regardless if it is sea or air.

Who said anything about getting replacement passports? The OP wants to know if a BC and license will suffice. It will.

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

And the kids are all ready considered adults so you need no permission, have a great cruise

I'm pretty sure that unless you have sole custody of the children, you will need a notarized letter of permission from your ex to take the children on the cruise.

His "kids" are old enough that he won't need a notarized letter. They are 21 and 18 and would be considered adult age.

I know in his first post it gave the impression that they were kids...but in a later post he stated their ages and they are actually young adults.

From the final rule effective June 1, 2009, implementing the WHTI:

Quote:

§ 53.2 Exceptions.

(b) A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States:

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services; or

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-6725.pdf

You DO NOT need a passport to cruise to the Caribbean. Certified Birth certificates and ID are fine.

The truth is the immigration agent can look into the system to see if they do have passports and confirm who they are.

I know because I packed my passports, all my id and had nothing getting to the checkpoint. I thought I could pick up my luggage before immigartion, and he just laughed at me.

He checked the system, found DH and myself, asked a few questions, and sent us on our way......THANK GOODNESS!

Good luck and bon voyage!:D

You aren't entirely correct. If he is going to the Caribbean, BC and a driver's license is what he'll be fine with. Just did this with my 14 y/o. His father refused to sign the paperwork for one. After June 2009, everyone will need one to go just about anywhere. It's confusing, when they keep moving the dates of implementation.:o

There is a debate about whether passports will be needed (or required by cruiselines) for Caribbean cruises in 2009 and after. I did find it interesting though when I went to the website for the Bud Lite party cruise last night I do believe that in the details it said you must have a passport and you will not be allowed to board without one (can't go to a booze related website from work) Think this cruise is in 2009. Makes ya wonder if the lines are going to make it a requirement even if Homeland Security doesn't - just to quell confusion.

You aren't entirely correct. If he is going to the Caribbean, BC and a driver's license is what he'll be fine with. Just did this with my 14 y/o. His father refused to sign the paperwork for one. After June 2009, everyone will need one to go just about anywhere. It's confusing, when they keep moving the dates of implementation.:o

I know it doesn't affect the OP but I have never been asked for any authorization from my ex for taking my son across the border or on a cruise.

The only time I needed authorization from my ex dh was to actually get the original passports for the kids. He had to get a notorized form and sign that it was OK with him if they got passports. I guess this is because they don't want you wisking away your ds and ds to another country, and not come back. I told the ex dh that if I was going to run away to another country I was certian to leave the kids with him....;)

Once you have the passports I don't think anyone really questions you. Especially in these times with many so many divorces.

There is a debate about whether passports will be needed (or required by cruiselines) for Caribbean cruises in 2009 and after. I did find it interesting though when I went to the website for the Bud Lite party cruise last night I do believe that in the details it said you must have a passport and you will not be allowed to board without one (can't go to a booze related website from work) Think this cruise is in 2009. Makes ya wonder if the lines are going to make it a requirement even if Homeland Security doesn't - just to quell confusion.

The chance that any cruiselines will institute a passport policy that is more strict than the one issued by the US government is just about non-existent. It would be financial folly for any line to do so unless there was unanimity among all the lines, and I don't see that happening nor do I see any reason why they should do so.

Before posting your version of what the WHTI will require on or after June, 2009, please read the relevant sections posted on the Department of State's website. Someone has already posted it here and it is quite clear that passengers on roundtrip Caribbean cruises will not be required to have passports, even after June, 2009. Clearly the government has contributed more than its part to the confusion over passport requirements with constantly changing deadlines and conditions, but misstating the requirements by saying that everyone will be required to have a passport regardless of where or how they are traveling out of the country is incorrect and just further muddies an already confusing situation. :rolleyes:

Archived