RCCL vs. Holland

Scorpiorose

Hi all!!! I'm a Holland Am. virgin! We've sailed RCCL 6 times and as it turns out have the opportunity to sail Holland in Feb. to Mexican Riv.

What do you all think? How does it compare to RCCL? We liked RCCL, just wondering how it compares! thanks all!

I too would like the comparison. I'm new to HAL as well.

Been on NCL, CCL & RCI and soon to be HAL.

Thanks,

Marcy

The only other cruise line we've been on is Carnival. Here's a post I posted earlier comparing HAL and Carnival. On our HAL cruise (7-day Caribbean), we were some of the youngest passengers (we're in our early 50's). The bulk of the passengers were well above 60. We cruised in early Feb., so this may be why. I've read that there's a more varied age range on holiday sailings, and times when schools are out.

Food

HAL 5

Carnival 3 (this may be a little low, but we had major dining room issues)

Room Service

HAL 5 (extensive menu and can write in items, and order from the dinner menu)

Carnival 2

Shows

HAL 2

Carnival 5 (we actually really enjoyed the passenger talent show and all the other shows)

Activities

HAL 2

Carnival 5 (we had a BLAST with our kids. There was always something going on day or night)

Atmosphere

HAL 5

Carnival 2 (this may be a little low, but we were on an older ship, the Triumph and it was pretty worn and I thought the ship was gaudy)

Service

HAL 5

Carnival 4

Rooms

HAL 5 (LOVED the beds)

Carnival 2 (We were on the Triumph and the beds were horrible-in all three cabins we had-everyone complained)

Embarkation

HAL 5

Carnival 2

Debarkation

HAL 5 (you get to stay in your cabin until your # is called)

Carnival 2

HAL was just a classy experience. They really have service covered. We had a good time on Carnival, but it's really hard to compare the two because I feel they are two totally different types of cruising experiences. We love HAL, so we'll probably not venture to any other line. If we had to, we'd probably try Princess or Celebrity. From what I have read, those two mirror HAL the closest.

It all depends on what you appreciate about RCL.

I find the food, service and cabins are substantially better on HAL but then again all opinions are subjective.

HAL tends to be more laid back than RCL. Overall, it's just a quieter experience.

Age wise, HAL passengers generally skewer older but then again, this too depends upon when you are sailing, duration of the cruise and groups onboard.

By the end of an RCL cruise, I am way beyond tired of the RCL drum and " get out there".

I would compare it to hotels. To me, HAL is Hyatt or Westin, whereas RCL is more Holiday Inn or Marriott. All four are comfortable properties but Hyatt and Westin just seem to have a bit more...ooomph.

HAL's cabins are spacious compared to RCI's tuna fish cans. :D

Food is a bit more exotic on HAL; RCI more mundane.

No one can beat HAL's Indonesian and Filipino crew!

Roz

If someone gave me free tickets with no strings attached and asked me to choose between the two lines, HAL would win, hands down. No question!!!!! Do you get the impression we like HAL better than RCCL????;)

I've sailed RCCL 6 times and it remains my favorite CL. Just sailed HAL early November with my 80y/o Dad and enjoyed that cruise, just not as much as RCCL. My next cruise is on a HAL ship....booked for the itinerary. RCCL has much better entertainment, service is equal except for lounge service as the HAL servers are very sweet...become like family. Was not impressed with the DR on HAL..waiter had too many tables/people and dinner was 100 minutes to usually 2hrs each nite..Food quality equal, liked the lido dinner venue and the small buffet each nite at 11p on HAL. LIked the library/explorations cafe on HAL.. outside promenade with deck chairs on HAL was a plus...Cabin sizes fluctuate on each lines, what I am impressed with is RCCL's clever storage.....Would not reccomend HAL for teenagers. Also preferred HAL's pillows to RCCL's rock hard pillows.

The only other cruise line we've been on is Carnival. Here's a post I posted earlier comparing HAL and Carnival. On our HAL cruise (7-day Caribbean), we were some of the youngest passengers (we're in our early 50's). The bulk of the passengers were well above 60. We cruised in early Feb., so this may be why. I've read that there's a more varied age range on holiday sailings, and times when schools are out.

Food

HAL 5

Carnival 3 (this may be a little low, but we had major dining room issues)

Room Service

HAL 5 (extensive menu and can write in items, and order from the dinner menu)

Carnival 2

Shows

HAL 2

Carnival 5 (we actually really enjoyed the passenger talent show and all the other shows)

Activities

HAL 2

Carnival 5 (we had a BLAST with our kids. There was always something going on day or night)

Atmosphere

HAL 5

Carnival 2 (this may be a little low, but we were on an older ship, the Triumph and it was pretty worn and I thought the ship was gaudy)

Service

HAL 5

Carnival 4

Rooms

HAL 5 (LOVED the beds)

Carnival 2 (We were on the Triumph and the beds were horrible-in all three cabins we had-everyone complained)

Embarkation

HAL 5

Carnival 2

Debarkation

HAL 5 (you get to stay in your cabin until your # is called)

Carnival 2

HAL was just a classy experience. They really have service covered. We had a good time on Carnival, but it's really hard to compare the two because I feel they are two totally different types of cruising experiences. We love HAL, so we'll probably not venture to any other line. If we had to, we'd probably try Princess or Celebrity. From what I have read, those two mirror HAL the closest.

I very much agree with most of this writers assessment. Our last cruise was Carnival Liberty and the beds were great, that atmosphere was good because it is a newer ship.

Our 2 cruises prior to that were HAL. We too are in our 50's and were among the youngest on the ship. We went in July with our son and his wife and they are in their 20's and said they would do RCCL the next time. (They did, our cruise they got engaged, RCCL was their honeymoon.) HAL is good in many ways but they do not have alot of activities like Carnival and RCCL. We just took Carnival last month and honestly could not do everything I was interested in because we only had 2 sea days. I'm not complaining, there were just alot of things to do.

It really just depend on your interests. We prefer to relax on the deck on sea days so HAL works for us. Their room service is the best, they have the largest choices. Half Moon Cay is the best private island, which is a priority for us, I love my day at the beach. (That is why we took Carnival, our cruise stopped there and HAL left FL for the summer.) I might mention that we were on the vista class ships, my aunt just recently went on the Maasdam and was disappointed because it was so small and the cabin was smaller.

If you prefer alot of activities and a younger crowd and don't care about the size of your room so much Carnival or RCCL would be a better choice. I do not think HAL is the best fit for some with children. There will more for kids on the CCL and RCCL.

I can honestly say having been on all 3 of these lines you would have a great cruise whatever you choose! Happy sailing!

We sailed on both Splendor and Explorer RCCL and Zuiderdam HAL.

On Explorer and Zuiderdam in Caribbeans during summer vacation.

Service was pretty much equal, although it was slower on Zuiderdam, but it was in 2004 when HAL just started catering to families with the kids on "big" ships.

Food .. I'll give an edge to HAL, but RCCL's was also very good.

Our inside cabin on Zuiderdam was larger than on Explorer.

We had more kids on Explorer, overall Explorer felt a bit more crowded, but crowd spread out nicely between Prominade, Sport deck, Pool area... and such.

We loved fresh juices on HAL.

We were in our early 30-ies while cruising on Zui, but didn't feel too young :D THere were many families (and about 400 kids)

Archived