Radiance vs Voyager

I am one who defintiely prefers the Voyager ships over the Radiance class ships. However, I think for an Alaska cruise I would prefer the Radiance class. I won't go into all of the differences already mentioned. But, it seems to me that the weather can be pretty hit or miss in Alaska. At least that is how it seems from the Travel Channel shows that I have seen. Having the enclosed solarium would be a huge benefit in my opinion. Also, I think that the Royal Promenade would not be missed as much since much of this type of cruise is about scenery that can be viewed from the ship. And, as already mentioned above, there is glass everywhere on the Radiance ships giving one a view to the outside.

For the Caribbean it is the Voyager class for me. For Alaska the Radiance class would be my preference.

Now, as from a 8 y.o.'s perspective, I don't think that I can be of much help there.

Thanks OB! As an aside I noticed on Wednesday when went over to to see the USCG Academy and the Naval Sub Base/Museum that gas was far more expensive in Stonington at least the parts we drove along US1 than at Dunns Corner, where we did have to fuel up (charged to corp card so that was a saving grace). Back home now where we saw gas at $3.89 at many different corners.

I didn't see it mentioned but with the indoor pool in the solarium (technically adults only) each day the had a 3-4 hour window for family time where kids were allowed in.

Sue, that is a great point...DW was worried more about what Tori can do etc...

As you said no Voyager in AK (yet...) maybe someday Mariner will be up there, but then again that may just be too many people in some of those towns...I wonder how New London made out on Thursday or Friday when she was to stop there, my days are all a mess now...but back to normal next week, this week will be a mess again but more normal now that I am back in the heat with less fog.

I think Radiance of the Seas will do well in AK. Now I just have to figure a different week due to a major scheduling conflict for the week I initially picked...also DW really wants to go northbound...I would prefer South since we can get up there, visit relatives, then sail, then a short hop from YVR back home, not much longer than the BOS to Houston hop this morning.

Happy 4th weekend to all!!! Any Many thanks to those who shared opinions and different experiences it really does help allow an informed choice of ships. :)

My wife prefers the Radiance class to Voyager. From an 8 years olds perspective I cannot say b/c I am no longer 8 (sometimes wish I was though). Radiance has a cool kids water park on top, can't remember if Voyager does. Also there is a great cafe on the back of the ship that has great free food with made to order burgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers, onion rings, chicken wings, frys, etc. I loved this spot b/c you can sit out back and enjoy the incredible view w/some classic american cuisine. The Radiance class is still a huge ship, we didn't even find that cafe until halfway though 8 night cruise, and I'm pretty on top of reading the deck plans. The ship is easier to get around b/c it is smaller, but it feels less crowded to me. The elevators are nicer b/c they face the ocean. We usually take the stairs but I broke my foot on an excursion and had to be in a wheel chair or cruches after that. I have kids also, if they can't have fun on a Radiance class, the problem isn't the ship.

Thanks OB! As an aside I noticed on Wednesday when went over to to see the USCG Academy and the Naval Sub Base/Museum that gas was far more expensive in Stonington at least the parts we drove along US1 than at Dunns Corner, where we did have to fuel up (charged to corp card so that was a saving grace). Back home now where we saw gas at $3.89 at many different corners.

Gas is more expensive in CT than what you found a Dunn's Corners because the CT tax on gas is higher than RI's tax.

I wonder how New London made out on Thursday or Friday when she was to stop there, my days are all a mess now...but back to normal next week, this week will be a mess again but more normal now that I am back in the heat with less fog.

When Explorer first started coming to New London a huge fuss used to be made over her visits. Now they don't even have a mention about it in the news paper any longer.

I stationary front parked itself over this area all weekend and there was a lot of fog around. It moved out this afternoon so hopefully those folks on the ship will actually get to see something this week.

I stationary front parked itself over this area all weekend and there was a lot of fog around. It moved out this afternoon so hopefully those folks on the ship will actually get to see something this week.

Interesting on the gas taxes...I've got family from both states so I will not go off on the tax tangent. I think though now most all of the relatives are in RI, ME, NH and a couple of other states. It is fun to go see where my great-grandmothers lived on US 1 going down the hill so to speak from the Highschool. Grandpa was in the last graduating class of the prior HS and grandma was in the first class at the current HS.

Many evenings over the past two weeks I watched the fog roll in over Q-pond...my parents beach house is across the road from the saltwater pond and some evenings I could barely see the edge of the pond...never couldn't see the neighbors house though. Last night at Logan (non stop each way) we stayed at the Hilton and could barely see the tower part of the time, and it was still a bit foggy when we flew out.

Despite the fog and construction at the beach house we had a good time. Almost ended up in the hostpital when I got sick but I refused to go and survived anyhow.

I am hoping we can get a big enough cabin for the family (3) to take the North Bound before the one I wanted to take (it was on sail er sale)... Guess I will call the TA in a moment to see if Radiance can take us. I am certain family will have a blast.

Archived