Radiance vs Voyager

Howdy to those other folks on CC instead of shooting off fireworks tonight.

We are looking at a Radiance South bound Alaska cruise and know how much DW and DD like the Voyager Class ships. What are the key differences aside from no ice skating we will see between the ships, specifically from the viewpoint of a 8 y/o DD?

Thanks for everyone who is able to provide some input here.

Have sailed the Radiance & Serenade several times and will be on the voyager for first time in November.

Have heard many great thing about their kids programs, seen the kids in different functions on board and they looked thrilled and engaged.

Radiance has no promenade or parades...but is a great ship & Alaska is stunning

I have read a good bit about Alaska everything i read states going North bound is better than south bound due to the changing landscape.

Just an FYI.. but I'm sure you will enjoy it either way. This will be our first Radiance class ship I'll let you know when we get back ! I hear it is perfect for Alaska all Glass everywhere you look.

Have sailed the Radiance & Serenade several times and will be on the voyager for first time in November.

Have heard many great thing about their kids programs, seen the kids in different functions on board and they looked thrilled and engaged.

Radiance has no promenade or parades...but is a great ship & Alaska is stunning

Thanks Barb. I didn't even think about missing the Parade. For DD and me this would be a first for the areas of AK outside of the Seward area. DW's sis lives in Anchorage so we have been up there before...DW and MIL went on an AK cruise better than a decade ago.

Without the tropical weather a kids program will be key to a happy cruise for 7 days with DD.

Howdy to those other folks on CC instead of shooting off fireworks tonight.

We are looking at a Radiance South bound Alaska cruise and know how much DW and DD like the Voyager Class ships. What are the key differences aside from no ice skating we will see between the ships, specifically from the viewpoint of a 8 y/o DD?

Thanks for everyone who is able to provide some input here.

HI Dave

DW and I sailed Serenade earlier this year and she's a great ship! More glass (ie glass elevators) than voyager class. While no promenade and parade, as others have stated great kids programs so no need to worry. DW and I prefer a voyager class (next cruise is on Explorer) but would have no problem sailing Serenade again. We also thought the dining staff and entertainment was better than our Mariner cruise for what it's worth :)

Warren and Yvonne

HI Dave

DW and I sailed Serenade earlier this year and she's a great ship! More glass (ie glass elevators) than voyager class. While no promenade and parade, as others have stated great kids programs so no need to worry. DW and I prefer a voyager class (next cruise is on Explorer) but would have no problem sailing Serenade again. We also thought the dining staff and entertainment was better than our Mariner cruise for what it's worth :)

Warren and Yvonne

Thanks Y'all

Funny to see replies from Canada where it was another work day...:D Dad is on the board of companies based in Calgary so I knew Monday was a Canadian Holiday. Family friends are also in Calgary for the Summer. Stay Cool up there, I gather it was warm on the front end of the week.

Thanks Y'all

Funny to see replies from Canada where it was another work day...:D Dad is on the board of companies based in Calgary so I knew Monday was a Canadian Holiday. Family friends are also in Calgary for the Summer. Stay Cool up there, I gather it was warm on the front end of the week.

Yep and happy 4th to ya :) I'm not that far away from Calgary and yes it was a wee bit warm this week, for us anyways. Pushed 40C (or about 104 F). Granted it's a dry heat, but as a comedian once said "stick your head in a lit oven, that's a dry heat too!!" :D Enjoy the Alaskan Cruise !

Warren and Yvonne

We are looking at a Radiance ... and know how much DW and DD like the Voyager Class ships. What are the key differences aside from no ice skating we will see between the ships, specifically from the viewpoint of a 8 y/o DD?...

Radiance differences -

Adventure Beach - If memory serves me correctly this is a freshwater kids pool and it has a water slide. This area was not on Navigator but is on some of the other Voyager class ships.

Seaview Cafe instead of Johnny Rockets - Similar food and more but the hours of operation aren't as frequent. Our kids really liked Seaview and it is free for food. Things like milk shakes cost money.

Smaller sport court - not really that big of a deal, but some of the games are more limited in terms of play area.

Fewer kids clubs - this really shouldn't be an issue as the basic adventure ocean will appeal to your daughter.

More differences...sorry if these are repeats. Not so much from a kids POV either...

> Radiance has 2 specialty restaurants; Voyager has 1.

> Radiance Concierge lounge has a great outdoor view; Voyager's is inside.

> Radiance has a thermal suite; Voyager doesn't.

> Radiance has a covered Solarium; Voyager doesn't.

> Radiance offers afternoon snacks in the Solarium

> Radiance has pool tables; Voyager doesn't.

We've sailed on both Radiance and Voyager. They are very different ships and a lot of the differences have been pointed out above. For your 8 year old daughter, this is just a hunch but I'm thinking she would prefer a Voyager class ship.

I am one who defintiely prefers the Voyager ships over the Radiance class ships. However, I think for an Alaska cruise I would prefer the Radiance class. I won't go into all of the differences already mentioned. But, it seems to me that the weather can be pretty hit or miss in Alaska. At least that is how it seems from the Travel Channel shows that I have seen. Having the enclosed solarium would be a huge benefit in my opinion. Also, I think that the Royal Promenade would not be missed as much since much of this type of cruise is about scenery that can be viewed from the ship. And, as already mentioned above, there is glass everywhere on the Radiance ships giving one a view to the outside.

For the Caribbean it is the Voyager class for me. For Alaska the Radiance class would be my preference.

Now, as from a 8 y.o.'s perspective, I don't think that I can be of much help there.

The Radiance class also has a centrum/atrium that is not found on the Voyager/Freedom class. A nice place to gather in the evening for a drink.

P1010294.jpg

P1010288.jpg

A nice outdoor eating area which I do miss on the Voyager and Freedom class.

PC050142.jpg

A much nicer solarium that is covered and climate controlled.

PC020037.jpg

With all that said, I still prefer the Voyager and Freedom class of ships.:)

As much as we really like the Voyager class, for Alaska I would choose Radiance because of the views from the ship. Radiance is a real classy ship and it was our first introduction to Royal and what an introduction it was. Great ship.

As much as we really like the Voyager class, for Alaska I would choose Radiance because of the views from the ship. Radiance is a real classy ship and it was our first introduction to Royal and what an introduction it was. Great ship.

there is no Voyager class in Alaska, they don't fit through the Panama Canal:D

For someone who has always cruised on only Voyager class ships I have to be honest and say there was an adjustment to Radiance class on our Alaska cruise last month. My husband loves the free cafe in the promenade on Voyager class ships and was upset when he learned there is a charge for coffee and pastries at the cafe on Radiance. We also didn't like the feeling of being almost forced to walk through the stores on Radiance when going from one end of the ship to the other. The last issue was the buffet didn't offer the large selection of food found on Voyager class ships, especially at night.

After a couple of days we adjusted and came to love the beauty of Radiance. The ship has a much more luxurious feel with the dark wood and glass elevators. The ship size also made it much more convenient to go anywhere. For Alaska cruises there isn't a choice so please know you'll love the Radiance class ships too!

Another thing to think of, the bars are different, the champagne bar (our favorite) is much nicer on radiance as you are not forced into the side cubby of the ship to make room for the promenade. What I'm saying, is if you compare the champagne bar on radiance to voyager, it is much nicer IMO on the radiance.

Seaview cafe is a big plus

Open aft dinning in windjammer

snacks in the solarium

Miss the promenade cafe on voyager

Miss the ice skating show on voyager

All in all, we prefer the radiance class slightly more, they are a little classier and we do not miss the parades or promenade much.

We like both the Radiance Class and the Voyager class but would definitely pick the Radiance for Alaska because of all of the glass. We really miss being able to "connect" with the great outdoors when we're on the Voyagers. Our very first cruise years ago was on the old Dawn Princess. This ship had virtually no viewing areas which taught us a big lesson in picking the right ship for the right itinerary. You'll find the Windjammer much more relaxing and quiet since there aren't as many people. We never once had trouble finding a chair or a table in the Solarium on the Radiance. On the other hand, we never once sat down in that area when we were on the Explorer, Voyager or Mariner due to the crowds. You will love it!

A nice outdoor eating area which I do miss on the Voyager and Freedom class.

PC050142.jpg

Eating there was nice, but if you have a deck 10 aft cabin (which DW and I had on Serenade), even a deck 9 aft, the noise is a bit annoying :(. Definitely more difficult to have an afternoon snooze on the balcony with all that above you. My class of choice is voyager just on this respect. I do agree with one of the other posters that we like the Cafe Promenade on voyager class as well :) Cookies and coffee and sandwiches, oh my!! :D

Warren and Yvonne

Yep, tough to beat the radiance class, this is one example of where bigger/biggest is not better. While the oasis looks intriguing, and we will more than likely sail her someday, the Radiance class/size is about as good as it gets IMO.

Dave, I have to agree with Cruiser-T...the Radiance is a beautiful ship...when we were on her in August last year there were lots of kids of all ages but we really didnt see them, they were off doing their own thing...

just one thing to remember about doing northbound...the travel time home from Seward to Anchorage to home is really long...we left the ship at 6:30 am on Friday and took the train to Anchorage...worth the money and the extra time...it takes you right to the airport...you can store your bags for a fee and taxi to downtown...took a tour...ate a nice lunch/dinner...and got back to the airport for our flight at 8:30pm Friday night...since it is 4 hours difference to Philadelphia and we had to go to Atlanta first we did not get home until Saturday afternoon around 4:00...exhausting!...but the trip was worth the travel...

Archived