I'm not sure I "get" formal night

LindaJ+

Formal nights have been scaled back a lot. A sports jacket and tie for the men and a nice cocktail or dressy dress or pants suit for the ladies. It just feels good to get a little dressed up without having to go thru the "formal" process. I have worn the same "formal" attire for my past cruises--a long, black split skirt and a light velvet jacket. No problem packing because it weighs less than 1 lb. It just feels good! And, why not!

No tux required for the men or long flowing gowns for the ladies. For some cruisers it may be their only cruise, so why not get a little dressed up! Make a memory! So many dress way too casual for a lot of events, but it's just good to get a little dressed up! It's a first-class ship, so why can't we show a little class...And, there are always the photo opportunities! Agree or disagree?

Idahoida

I don't understand why anyone should forgo the HAL experience because he or she chooses not to dress for formal night. Simply go to the Lido. I have done this and they do a lovely job, the tables are set with white tablecloths, stemware etc. There is no reason to "...try NCL" if one doesn't choose to. Suggesting such is a bit rude IMO. But if you choose to eat in the DR on formal nights, then dress according to the guidelines set up by the cruiseline. And if you want to eat in your pajamas, order room service. ;)

I've seen quite a few people in the main dining room NOT dressed formally on formal night, especially on our Alaska cruise last year. It didn't spoil my experience, and the dining staff didn't turn a hair. I don't see why anyone should be expected to go to the Lido, as long as they are nicely dressed who gives a fig whether it's formal attire or not. The dress is suggested, not mandatory.

The OP asked a simple question, and has been flamed for it. Some people's attitudes on here really suck, they are so full of themselves. JMO.

The first time we cruised on HAL my son dressed in a shirt and tie even though my husband and my father were in tuxes. He felt he wasn't dressed enough - he was 14.

Our next cruise on Princess, he and the friend he brought with elected to wear tux's. They felt over dressed but enjoyed all the teenage ladies wanting pictures taken with them.

I will always treasure the picture of all my guys in tuxe's

That;s why the cruise line does the formal thing...do you realize how much they make off those pictures....:D

Whatever happened to the OP? Just wondering cause they so often dissappear?

Sorry ... I'm retired and have a life! Had to get in some golf and tennis today! :D

I never said I objected to the formal nights ... was just kind of passing along a question from an individual in our group (who runs a BBQ sauce company and really hates getting dressed up). DH and I enjoyed getting dressed up and he always relishes a chance to wear his kilt. However if we had had to cart that extra luggage on a plane, we might have a different thought!

322958125_r8Vcm-M.jpg

I vote that wearing formal clothes EVERY night be mandatory! I am talking tuxedos and formal gowns.

After all its only for a few hours.

How many of you agree with me?

Ok - I love formal nights, and I pack a different elegant (long) gown for each night BUT formal every night would be a bit much even for me :D .

I'm usually on board for 25+ days at a time. You guys have it easy - one tux and a couple dress shirts... For me on a 25 day cruise that would be 24 dresses (I hate repeating myself ;) ). I'd need an extra suitcase just for the dresses (at least HAL offers a "flat rate" pressing option). How about a compromise, a formal night on every sea day instead?

Lydia

How about a compromise, a formal night on every sea day instead?

Lydia

An excellent suggestion!

As to the OP's question, I think the cruiselines (wisely) understand (understood?) that many people's image of being on a ship includes a vision of formal evenings and they have tried to carry on the tradition, so passengers can feel they are "really" on a ship.

I know from these boards that there are those who dislike "dressing up," finding it bothersome and I find it amazing that many of them seem to come from the same generation I did, where I sometimes changed clothes 4 times a day, depending on what I was doing. Riding clothes for an early morning ride, casual "at-home" in the morning, afternoon dress for paying calls and then something dressier for dinner at "the club." Changing clothes was a way of life.

In the "old days," you dressed appropriately for everything. Hats and gloves for church. An afternoon dress for paying calls or shopping. You dressed to travel on a train or plane and, of course, for dinner parties.

And there were minute rules to be memorized, also. I remember my mother telling me that while "basic black and pearls" were appropriate for a dinner party in the city, a lady never wears black to dinner while staying at someone's country house. When I asked why, she replied, "Well, it simply isn't done. One never wears black to dinner in the country"

I suppose I sound ancient and stuffy, but I am young enough that I was too young to attend Woodstock, so I guess I am not that old.

I hate to threadjack, but having the chance, want to ask.....Alexat2, were you able to make the transfer from Kobe to the airport for your onward trip to Thailand? Jacksan1 and I (Asia board) correspond privately and were genuinely concerned. Inquiring minds.....

Kate

How about a compromise, a formal night on every sea day instead?

How about an even better compromise?

You do what appeals to you and let me do my thing? This way we are both happy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ok, fair question, ....>snip< What is wrong with that?

Not a thing wrong. You are exactly correct !

Can't we all just get along?????????? Come on now, Group hug.......:D

OP, I think we could ask that question about many traditions - and that's the answer - it's a shipboard tradition that many people enjoy. The "specialness" of the occasion just cannot be duplicated without the "dress up" part. Though our ideas of what constitutes formal dress and the occasions to do so have relaxed over the years, the idea of making certain occasions "nicer" is timeless, both on land and sea.

In terms of formal night, on the cruises I have taken, there has usually been the captain's party or one or more receptions (such as a past guest party), special music, entertainment , and dancing in the venues/clubs, nicer menu selections and special service touches (already mentioned by earlier posters) in the dining room (our TA usually provides champagne at one of the formal dinners). I have found the ship activities and general ambiance of the ship to be "nicer" on formal night.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Absolutely!

For the record, ahem, it was the previous poster that suggested sea days be formal nights. I did second that, and don't regret it.

It would be fun for some people, but I think the great thing about HAL is that, at the end of the day, we love the ships and experience and it doesn't matter a hoot who wears what to dinner. (For me, anyway.)

Being a new poster, (and something of a lurker in the past), I am and have been inspired by many of your posts. (Don't think I would have considered being a "soloist" on the Volendam, without your valuable feedback about cruising on HAL alone.)

Thanks and All my best,

Kate

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's a lovely sentiment, and to a point, I agree. But what happens does my doing "what appeals" interfere with your "thing"? When does individualism defer to the common good or respect for others individualism (and vice-versa)?

How many times has someone doing as they wished (ex- playing, splashing, running, whatever by the pool) interfered with someone else's "thing" (Enjoying the pool area in peace ad quiet?)

Taken to an extreme, this sentiment leads to anarchy - some rules and standards ARE necessary and desirable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But it's not formal night if it is also casual night. :D So it is not an even exchange.

Linda:

Truthfully - Do NOT allow anyone to bully you around when it comes to "formal dinners" on Holland America. You'll find MANY, MANY cruisers who do not agree with HAL's "SUGGESTED" dress-code. JMO

I see that this is your first post on CC--welcome to the CC boards. It sounds like you have a lot of experience on HAL ships and with HAL pax--since KK is a long-time HAL passenger I'm curious about which ships/itin you've sailed and how your experiences differ. It helps to know the ships/itin because it seems that they often differ based upon those things.

I just took a back to back trip on the Veendam. The first 7 days on formal night, everyone was dressed up and there were lots of tuxedos. The second 7 days there were less and more men in suits. The non formal nights the second part of the trip I saw ballcaps turned backwards in the dining room and jeans with suspenders. Then finished off with sandals and white sox:eek: . I'm sure I've seen this same guy on my T.V. at 4am trying to sell me a lure that catches the "Big Uns"

I also observed a couple walking around the ship numerous times (on the walking deck) till they worked up a sweat then headed right into the dining room for dinner.

On a recent Zuiderdam cruise we had a Formal-Optional night...One had the option of dressing either Formally or Smart Casual in the dining rooms and all the public lounges...It seemed to me that most picked casual but I saw no one in shorts or T-shirts...It was interesting to see what people chose to wear when they had a choice.

Archived