How does everyone cruise so FREQUENTLY?

HJK001

As you might be able to tell by my user name, I'm a financial advisor with a major Wall Street firm and have been so employed for about 20 years. The reason I mention this is that I am happy to see that so many here do a lot of the things that I advise my clients to and that I do personally. Namely, that they live below their means.

We live in a world of rampant consumerism and materialism regardless of the cost. A lot of the posters here seem to have a pretty good grip on their expenses, and so, it allows them to do some of the things that they really enjoy, like cruising.

As for me...

1. I have earned many hundreds of thousands of airline frequent flyer miles and haven't paid a penny in interest or fees. For example, recently one of the big airlines offered 25,000 miles for their branded Amex and 25,000 for their branded MasterCard. Plus, they waived the fee for the first year. I had 4 months to put $750 on each one, which wasn't a problem. So I got 2 roundtrip tickets for free. Earning free airfare allows me to travel for cheap.

2. I make a decent living, although the stock market is taking a toll on that to some extent. Still up for the year, but if the volatility continues, I know it will have a detrimental effect on my income.

3. Virtually no debt whatsoever. I have a German convertible, but it's paid for. My condo is virtually paid for. The mortgage is actually only $13 per month and this didn't happen by accident. I pay more than I need to by a good amount each month so that it's paid off early. I've never paid a penny in consumer debt interest and I'm in my 40s.

4. Save until it almost hurts.

5. Shop at discount retailers and in bulk (ex. Costco).

6. Live in San Diego, which puts me at/near west coast ports (although most of my cruises have been out of Florida).

7. Take advantage of past guest rates. Keep an eye on prices and call promptly for credit when they drop.

8. Keep living expenses relatively low. Take advantage of sales.

9. Keep shipboard alcohol expenses under control. I'll often buy a bottle or two of liquor before sailing and I've even been known to smuggle booze aboard (gasp!).

10. I stay single. This allows my dates to pay for their own pretty shoes and cosmetic procedures without impacting my wallet or credit score. Likewise, I am able to avoid alimony and/or child support when things don't work out.

That's about all I can think of for now. But I think the key is that if you are not wealthy then living below your means will help you do some of the things you'd like to. Unfortunately, there are all too many out there who are unable or unwilling to do that.

Brad

We cruise 1, 2, 3, or even 4 times a year. Mostly out of Fl. so we can drive. But parking runs $12 to $20. a day so its not as bad as airfare but it ain't free either. We like to to 10 day to 15 day cruises in balcony cabins, either an aft balc or a bl gty.

How do we do it. Well its simple, we're so far in debt we'll never get out.:(:eek:

:D

Dan

I've been noticing on the boards that so many of you cruise multiple times a year...sometimes even monthly. Does everyone live close to the ports so that air travel, taxis, car rentals and hotels don't play into the cost therefore making it more reasonable to cruise? And do you get balcony rooms/suites or settle for cheaper, interior rooms? My family lives in WI, so we incur all the extras (hotel, air, car, etc)...which add up fast! And then we opt for suites (sometimes) or balcony rooms (always)...maybe that's our problem...takes longer to save for a cruise that way!!!!

Heidi :)

Hi Heidi,

We live 20 minutes from the Port of San Diego and around 1.5 hours from Port of Long Beach so its pretty much easy for us. For those cruises there is no Hotel or Airfare expenses. We now take a short in-between cruise here in San Diego/Long Beach then we fly off to Miami for the longer cruise. By booking a Cat.1a or Cat.4a Guarantee, this will allow us to cruise more and using my Military Discount helps alot.

Fred

I've been noticing on the boards that so many of you cruise multiple times a year...sometimes even monthly. Does everyone live close to the ports so that air travel, taxis, car rentals and hotels don't play into the cost therefore making it more reasonable to cruise? And do you get balcony rooms/suites or settle for cheaper, interior rooms? My family lives in WI, so we incur all the extras (hotel, air, car, etc)...which add up fast! And then we opt for suites (sometimes) or balcony rooms (always)...maybe that's our problem...takes longer to save for a cruise that way!!!!

LHP says it best for us too.......

First of all, we are blessed.

Secondly, we have been responsible with our blessings.

Our house is paid for. Our cars (although new) are paid for. We have no debt. We live well below our means. Basically if we can't pay for it...we don't buy it.

We never carry CC debt. Interest is a killer. We also live within 4 hours driving time to all the ports in Florida so proximity helps make our decisions too.

Our first cruise was last Sept, and our 8th and 9th will be this August, if plans come together. We we're hooked from the start. We book suites or aft wraps, and we have the calander booked up until April, 2010; The current end of the open calander for Carnival bookings.

Can you tell that we love to cruise?:D

LHP says it best for us too.......

We never carry CC debt. Interest is a killer. We also live within 4 hours driving time to all the ports in Florida so proximity helps make our decisions too.

Our first cruise was last Sept, and our 8th and 9th will be this August, if plans come together. We we're hooked from the start. We book suites or aft wraps, and we have the calander booked up until April, 2010; The current end of the open calander for Carnival bookings.

Can you tell that we love to cruise?:D

You will be Platinum by the time you sail with us on the SPLENDOR!!!

CONGRATS!!!!

As you might be able to tell by my user name, I'm a financial advisor with a major Wall Street firm and have been so employed for about 20 years. The reason I mention this is that I am happy to see that so many here do a lot of the things that I advise my clients to and that I do personally. Namely, that they live below their means.

We live in a world of rampant consumerism and materialism regardless of the cost. A lot of the posters here seem to have a pretty good grip on their expenses, and so, it allows them to do some of the things that they really enjoy, like cruising.

As for me...

1. I have earned many hundreds of thousands of airline frequent flyer miles and haven't paid a penny in interest or fees. For example, recently one of the big airlines offered 25,000 miles for their branded Amex and 25,000 for their branded MasterCard. Plus, they waived the fee for the first year. I had 4 months to put $750 on each one, which wasn't a problem. So I got 2 roundtrip tickets for free. Earning free airfare allows me to travel for cheap.

2. I make a decent living, although the stock market is taking a toll on that to some extent. Still up for the year, but if the volatility continues, I know it will have a detrimental effect on my income.

3. Virtually no debt whatsoever. I have a German convertible, but it's paid for. My condo is virtually paid for. The mortgage is actually only $13 per month and this didn't happen by accident. I pay more than I need to by a good amount each month so that it's paid off early. I've never paid a penny in consumer debt interest and I'm in my 40s.

4. Save until it almost hurts.

5. Shop at discount retailers and in bulk (ex. Costco).

6. Live in San Diego, which puts me at/near west coast ports (although most of my cruises have been out of Florida).

7. Take advantage of past guest rates. Keep an eye on prices and call promptly for credit when they drop.

8. Keep living expenses relatively low. Take advantage of sales.

9. Keep shipboard alcohol expenses under control. I'll often buy a bottle or two of liquor before sailing and I've even been known to smuggle booze aboard (gasp!).

10. I stay single. This allows my dates to pay for their own pretty shoes and cosmetic procedures without impacting my wallet or credit score. Likewise, I am able to avoid alimony and/or child support when things don't work out.

That's about all I can think of for now. But I think the key is that if you are not wealthy then living below your means will help you do some of the things you'd like to. Unfortunately, there are all too many out there who are unable or unwilling to do that.

Brad

Totally agree with you, also stay "single" , no debts and just let the bank pays for my cruises. (live from my intrest and don't touch the real stuff, b/c I get a very high percentage from my bank)

It may not always be a cruise, but we always go on two 'big' vacations a year.

Several years ago, my Aunt passed away. She had always lived frugally and saved like crazy. She very often mentioned that she wished she could/had travelled; we'd have dinner, discuss it over and over, and I'd start to make plans for her, but when it came down to it, she always backed out. We offered to go with her, but I suppose deep down, she was afraid.

Meanwhile, DH and I have always loved to travel, and did our best to indulge this passion. We'd run up credit cards on the trip and when we paid them off, we'd do it again! It was a system that worked for us.

When my Aunt got ill, she said she was leaving us a nice amount of money, telling us, "I know the money will have more fun in your account than it did in mine".

The first item of business on any vacation we'll ever take for the rest of our lives is to toast my Aunt Mimi!

Set yourself up a travel account( like you would do a christmas account)..We have money taken into credit union every month so we don't miss it..We almost always book an inside room ( we are not there very much anyway)....And budget your money on your cruise, we almost never book excursions from Carnival...we get a cab to the beach or downtown.....Dennis

Totally agree with you, also stay "single" , no debts and just let the bank pays for my cruises. (live from my intrest and don't touch the real stuff, b/c I get a very high percentage from my bank)

Marriage is grand

Divorce is twenty grand

Heidi: My answers to your questions are. . . .

1) Proximity (I'm close to several FL ports)

2) Diligent internet research (compare/contrast)

3) Willing to sail during 'iffy' times (can you say Itinerary Change?)

4) Cabin selection (I actually considered changing my screen name to 1AChamp)

Two things that help me cruise more during the year was Carnival Vacation Club which no longer exist, It was like a Cruise time share type of plan that you paid upfront and then used your points to book your cruises. That plan got me on 4 ships.

I also got the Carnivals Sea Miles Credit Card and racket up tons of points on it, I am able to redeem points for discounts or get a free cruise out of it.

And last, Im able to do a grip load of Over Time. When you don't see me posting like these 2 weeks Im working and sleeping. So that overtime goes to our Travel/Vacation budget.

Fred

I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to whether the OP is a man or woman, but here goes my 2 cents worth.

I am a very rare creature in that I am a woman who HATES to shop. So, I don't spend hardly any money on clothes. There's no way I'd buy designer shoes or purses. I shop at Payless Shoes and Target. I do get my nails done twice a month but make myself do my own pedicures (even though I hate doing it). I dye my own hair (even though I hate doing it -- but come on! $9 compared to $59+!!). I love to read but buy paperbacks at second-hand stores or get them free from a library when I bring in books I've already read. I don't even rent movies but a couple times a year. I don't eat out. I save money on gas by taking my lunch to work and reading the paper and doing the crossword puzzles during my lunch hour. I don't go out with "the girls" because all "the girls" have families to spend their evenings with. I don't buy expensive make-up or face creams. My house is paid for and my truck (yes, truck -- 4 wheel drive, no less) is paid for. I have no credit card debt at all. To me, paying interest is just flushing money down the toilet.

So, it CAN be done. You just have to decide what's more important to you. Would you rather carry around a designer purse or shoes and wear expensive clothes? Or, wear a Rolex watch that doesn't tell time any better than a Timex? Or, would you rather spend that money on making memories that will last a lifetime? Do you want to spend your last days reminiscing about people and places and beautiful scenery and fun times? Or, would you rather reminisce about an Armani suit?

Yep can be to 7 ports in about 6 hours. Makes it a lot easier to cruise. I love interior rooms, except on the Alaska cruise it had to be a balcony. I don't spend too much time in the room except sleep and shower/change clothes.

We cruise 1, 2, 3, or even 4 times a year. Mostly out of Fl. so we can drive. But parking runs $12 to $20. a day so its not as bad as airfare but it ain't free either. We like to to 10 day to 15 day cruises in balcony cabins, either an aft balc or a bl gty.

How do we do it. Well its simple, we're so far in debt we'll never get out.:(:eek:

:D

Dan

So Dan...that was you in the commercial riding the lawnmower:D

[quote name=Stockjock;15408677).

10. I stay single. This allows my dates to pay for their own pretty shoes and cosmetic procedures without impacting my wallet or credit score. Likewise' date=' I am able to avoid alimony and/or child support when things don't work out.

[/quote]

#10 ought to be worth about 4 cruises per year :eek:

I have to say two words--THANKS MOM!!!!!!!!

My father died two years ago and my mom paid for us to go for a family (uhm, er well two separate really) vacations. My mom sold her house and moved in with me. She helps with the expenses, which leaves me a fair chunk of money to set aside for spending money. She also has the right idea--you can't take it with you! She gave my brother and I money from the sale of the house (kept the lion share for herself). My brother was building a house and needed the money and he also bought some toys for boys (two quads, a boat, and good downpayment on a trailer). Me, well I have a some sweet new electronic toys, new furnitire/bedding/appliances, AND enough money for SIX cruises!!!!

I went 15 years without a holiday so I am making it up now. I will have three booked for 2009 by September. I book balconies because they are the only way to go!!!!! I will be platinum three years after taking my second cruise (first was in 1991). I don't go on the cheap beacause flying from Canada isn't cheap!!!!

I always thought I couldn't afford to cruise. Than my mom guilted me into taking a cruise. (she would pay, she might now be around in a few years when I finished putting my youngest through college, etc). We always traveled with my SIL and BIL ALWAYS. We would do weekend getaways twice a year and vacationed together during the summer. Of course, they went on the cruise with us. We all fell in love with cruising.

We took two more cruises with my SIL and BIL. Our cruise in 06 on the Liberty was my BIL's favorite. We all had such a good time. Shortly after that cruise he was diagnosed with pancaretic cancer at age 59 and was gone in less than three months.

None of us are or were in good financial situations. Our retirement funds are pitiful. But when I look back on the memories we made on those cruises for once I in my life I was actually glad that I lived for the moment. My SIL often talks about those cruise memories as some of her dearest.

Sometimes you just have to seize the moment.

Cori, thoughts are with you and your husband.

Brad

But at the end, all you have is a sad lonely life. No one to share all your fun travel memories with. No one that gives one iota for you.

Saving till it hurts??? LOL that's sad.

You should look at the other side of the coin. Loving till it hurts, spending money to have fun with someone who adores you. A kid, a wife, a family.

Enjoy your memories...all by your lonesome.

DH and I get paid bi-weekly - and on opposite weeks. So that's 4 extra paychecks a year. So we live on our regular bi-weekly checks, and when one of those extra checks comes in, it's like a bonus. Also, as a deputy, DH can work extra jobs for a pretty good hourly rate, those checks are saved whenever possible. Next year, our primary goal will be to build our savings, but we still have 2 cruises booked that the extra month's worth of income we end up getting will more than cover it.

everyone has thier own crack....lol.....i choose my iteneries based on excellend deals my pvp finds me, tries to fly into florida since its cheaper out of Michigan and almost never flies in the day before (unless its west coast)...im a very frugal cruiser which allows me to go mulitple times a year

I wish we could cruise more often as we love it. I just want to say to anyone reading this, that go as often as you can manage. My DH has cancer and now our cruiseing days a limited , we have to schedule any trips between Dr. , lab tests, treatments. Yet we still try to go now when he is feeling well enough while we still can. Of coarse you have to be responsible regarding your finances, but really do go do things now while you can, you never know when your situation will change, and then you can't go. So don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, Life is short and unpredictible so

Enjoy Life.

Happy Cruising all.

Cori

Cori I'm sad to hear that John has cancer. Steven and I enjoyed meeting you both (along with your daughter and her friend) on the Liberty earlier this year. Give John our best and we'll keep you all in our prayers!

But at the end, all you have is a sad lonely life. No one to share all your fun travel memories with. No one that gives one iota for you.

Saving till it hurts??? LOL that's sad.

You should look at the other side of the coin. Loving till it hurts, spending money to have fun with someone who adores you. A kid, a wife, a family.

Enjoy your memories...all by your lonesome.

Let me address that. Nationwide, roughly 50% of marriages end up in divorce. Here in SoCal, I believe that the numbers are closer to 2/3rds ending in divorce. Of those who are not divorced, I'd imagine that a good percentage are not terribly happy ones and in some cases outright miserable.

I would also freely acknowledge that there are terrific marriages out there, but I suspect that they are very much in the minority.

As a financial advisor, I'm the fellow who splits the assets, tears apart the portfolios, and sees both the financial and emotional wounds that are created by divorce. A friend of mine is an extremely successful divorce attorney and she has no interest in marriage. I wonder why.

I think that if you are older or have a somewhat fundamentalist background in some religion then you have a better shot at success, but let's face the fact that most of the time, many marriages do not work out and if you are reasonably successful financially speaking, then the financial and emotional costs of divorce are quite high.

In terms of someone being there for you when you are old and gray, marriage is no guarantee of that. Especially thesedays with the baby boomer and younger generations, who tend to have a shorter attention span, in my view.

My theory is that I want to be with someone whose company I enjoy and vice-versa. If there's a problem, we'll try and work it out. If the problems become quite serious, then we part ways, hopefully as friends, without having to hire lawyers.

As we age, there will usually be individuals available who we like and are attracted to on more than one front. Sure, if you are older, your significant other won't be that hot little 20 year old anymore, but neither would your spouse and it simply comes with the territory of the aging process.

So different strokes for different folks. I can very much appreciate a marriage that has worked and stood the test of time. It's simply not for me. The risks are simply too high for me to sign a legally-binding contract to stay with *one* person for *the rest of my life* (in my case, perhaps 30-50 more years). That's a promise that I can't likely make because I don't know how I, or the other person, will feel in the future.

Oh, I'm not presently lonesome and doubt that I will be in the future either. I expect to always have quality people in my life and a marriage certificate today is certainly no guarantee that one won't be lonely down the road.

Cori I'm sad to hear that John has cancer. Steven and I enjoyed meeting you both (along with your daughter and her friend) on the Liberty earlier this year. Give John our best and we'll keep you all in our prayers!

First Thank you everyone for all your kind thoughts and prayers , we really do appreciate it.

Crazed" Hi , yes it was wonderful to meet all the cruise critic people on the ship, we enjoyed our time with you also. John is doing OK , on treatment and medication and we are praying for the best. Thanks again.

Love to all.

Cori

Archived