How does everyone cruise so FREQUENTLY?

HJK001

I've been noticing on the boards that so many of you cruise multiple times a year...sometimes even monthly. Does everyone live close to the ports so that air travel, taxis, car rentals and hotels don't play into the cost therefore making it more reasonable to cruise? And do you get balcony rooms/suites or settle for cheaper, interior rooms? My family lives in WI, so we incur all the extras (hotel, air, car, etc)...which add up fast! And then we opt for suites (sometimes) or balcony rooms (always)...maybe that's our problem...takes longer to save for a cruise that way!!!!

Heidi :)

I like taking shorter/cheaper cruises more frequently. Its hard for me to up and leave for a whole work week, but a long weekend 4 day cruise is just right. That way I only have to miss two work days instead of 4 (Im on a 4-10 schedule). We also take interior cabins, which is fine by me. I like the dark nights, I sleep like a baby.

Being only a few hours drive from Tampa, Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is the biggest reason though. Even with the shorter routes, it would still be too expensive for me if I had to fly every time.

I've been noticing on the boards that so many of you cruise multiple times a year...sometimes even monthly. Does everyone live close to the ports so that air travel, taxis, car rentals and hotels don't play into the cost therefore making it more reasonable to cruise? And do you get balcony rooms/suites or settle for cheaper, interior rooms? My family lives in WI, so we incur all the extras (hotel, air, car, etc)...which add up fast! And then we opt for suites (sometimes) or balcony rooms (always)...maybe that's our problem...takes longer to save for a cruise that way!!!!

We have never stayed in a suite and usually only pay for a balcony on a "special" cruise like Alaska and Panama Canal. For the Carribean we feel an outside is sufficient. We live in rural Maryland near Baltimore, which is a hub for Southwest Airlines who are very reasonable. Occasionally we take a cruise out of Baltimore, so no airfare!!!

Sister and I live together and have a relatively short commute so we save a lot of money just in transportation. We almost always book an inside guarantee, book far in advance and we both drive paid for cars.

My DW and I have made choices that allow us to save money to use how we feel we want. We have a very modest home but could afford a larger one, both cars a completely paid off and we don't carry and credit card debt. These choices allow us to take our 2 cruises a year and save for our European Cruise coming up. I do wish I could take more crusies but just don't have the vaction time with my present job.

Cruise solo whenever I can get away and last minute

Unless my son or a traveling companion is with me, I always book the absolute CHEAPEST cabin.

Cruise OFF SEASON

Never cruise on holidays

Live 40 minutes from Long Beach - PRIDE & PARADISE

Live 2 hours from San Diego - SPIRIT & ELATION

When I fly to the east coast, I take the REDEYE, no hotels at the port city ever.

Seldom gamble on cruise ships.

Not a heavy drinker (5 beers at one time and I go crazy) :D

Never take ship excursions

Never purchase photographs (take a zillion digital pics)

Purchase passage ONLINE, never from Carnival. Frequently get bargain price as cruise is 3 days out and some need to get rid of cabins left in the block they've purchased.

Lately have had other things that takes me away from cruising (SSR Truck Club which travels a lot), but getting back into it this winter or spring.

Retired with a very modest income. Grown kids...no husband.

Car is 1997 Sunfire....no car payments (and never will be any ever again). Live in a modest 1 bedroom apt, cook my own meals, don't buy convenience foods, eat out only a couple times a month, don't buy the latest trends in fashion, no bills other than rent, utilities, etc., don't have cable TV (I can get all the bad TV I want...free), don't have a cell phone (total phone bill is about 60.00 a month INCLUDING DSL computer hookup.

I don't drink "designer" coffee - nor do I patronize those places that sell it, don't ever eat at "fast food" places (tasteless, sodium filled garbage). I keep to a budget and prioritize.

My undesignated $$$$ go into my travel fund stash... Cruising is what I love. It is what I do.

You're a long time dead.....so live it up.:p

First of all, we are blessed.

Secondly, we have been responsible with our blessings.

Our house is paid for. Our cars (although new) are paid for. We have no debt. We live well below our means. Basically if we can't pay for it...we don't buy it.

Our 2 boys go with us everywhere...so for many years we were cruising as a family of four and could only go during peak season.

However, now the oldest is in college and our youngest (17) has Autism so we homeschool him and can travel during the off season.

We have only had a balcony once (because Hubby thinks they are a waste of money). The one time was Alaska and well worth it.

But we are also in our mid 50's...so it does not come overnight. We have not always cruised 6 times a year...but we will from this year on!!!!

Tom-N-Cheryl set a bad example that I intend to follow as often as possible!!!

I wish we could cruise more often as we love it. I just want to say to anyone reading this, that go as often as you can manage. My DH has cancer and now our cruiseing days a limited , we have to schedule any trips between Dr. , lab tests, treatments. Yet we still try to go now when he is feeling well enough while we still can. Of coarse you have to be responsible regarding your finances, but really do go do things now while you can, you never know when your situation will change, and then you can't go. So don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, Life is short and unpredictible so

Enjoy Life.

Happy Cruising all.

Cori

I wish we could cruise more often as we love it. I just want to say to anyone reading this, that go as often as you can manage. My DH has cancer and now our cruiseing days a limited , we have to schedule any trips between Dr. , lab tests, treatments. Yet we still try to go now when he is feeling well enough while we still can. Of coarse you have to be responsible regarding your finances, but really do go do things now while you can, you never know when your situation will change, and then you can't go. So don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, Life is short and unpredictible so

Enjoy Life.

Happy Cruising all.

Cori

Very wise words Cori...I hope folks listen!!!

Our thoughts will be with you and your dear husband.

The most we've cruised is twice a year....planning on bumping it up to three, at least!

Our kids are grown and out of college.

Home is paid for. We have several cars....all paid for.

Some rental properties....paid for. So a little additional income there.

No credit card debt.

Don't eat out often, maybe a couple of times a month.

Since DH works for an airline, so we get good cruise rates.

We pretty much live a simple life, but I love to cruise!!

Now if I ever win the Powerball, I'm looking into ResidenSea (sp?). DH probably wouldn't live on a ship, but he can come visit me occasionally!

Enjoy Life.

Happy Cruising all.

Cori

I didn't start cruising more than once a year until my Dad, MIL, and brother passed away. This happened within a 3 year period. They all died from cancer. (Dad and MIL were 3 months apart.) When my brother died I realized that life is short, I might as well enjoy it. So, I do my best to cruise at least twice a year. If a deal comes, and I can manage it I'll do more.

I am lucky in that I live in Florida. However, I am a teacher so I must cruise during peak times. I have many years until I retire, but I plan on going even more often when I retire.

I always put my income tax return, bonuses, any extra money I make (tutoring for example) in my cruise fund.

Cori: Good Luck with your husbands treatments. Where there is a will there is a way. I know that there WILL be a cure for cancer sometime soon. Faith often keeps me going day to day. And, I do believe in miracles! They happen every day.

your post brought tears to my eyes...my heart and prayers go out to you and your husband. People don't 'get' why my DH & I travel so much - it's the only time I have him all to myself and like you say - I want to do it now while we can, while we're healthy and semi-young and while we still like each other. Godspeed on your medical journey. Hope to meet you both on the sea someday

We are blessed as dh has an excellent job and I also make an income from working at home. We do have two car payments and tuition for my dd. We are able to take three cruises this year and do have two already planned for next.

I do plan way in advance and save save save. :D

The DW is a flight attendant for a major airline so we fly cheap and we get good discounts on cruises. I travel a lot during the year for business, hotel usually free using club points. We are recent empty nester's since our son and daughter both graduated from college and both moved out with jobs of their own.

Budgeting for cruises is the same as any vacation or any other thing you want that may be at an increased cost. I watch what I spend, cutting back on eating out and that morning coffee, I also do odd/handyman jobs and taxes during the season where all the money goes into a vacation account that is not connected to my debit cards. This does not include the money I put away from student stipend checks, tax rebates, monthly savings, etc.

Enjoy Life.

Happy Cruising all.

Cori

You post brought tears to my eyes. Cori, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. What you say is so true, cancer runs rapid through my family, I absolutely believe in miracles, My mother had it twice and and it is remission and my aunt has right now, she is currently going through chemo. I had another aunt that passed away from it before I was born. My mother is a miracle and I pray that the same will be for you. I want to try to enjoy life as much as possible. I also want to show my son the world....when I was young...I never received the opportunity to see the world. I want him to have what I didn't have, so I have started saving here and there for cruises for just him and I.

I live 25 min from Long Beach, CA port:D

You're going to get alot of different answers to this question. Some live near ports, some take shorter cruises, some opt for the inside or oceanview cabins to reduce cost. It's really all about priority.

We always have several cruises upcoming and we book far out so we factor it in to the bills. We love cruising and make it part of our lifestyle. Like many, we already have cruises booked through 2010 and are thinking 2011.

Cori's post is exactly why we too, cruise as often as we can. I had major surgery recently, and told my surgeon that I was going on a cruise slightly less than 3 weeks after the surgery. (It was already booked, and it made a great reason for me to concentrate on recovery) The surgeon frowned, then ask me where it was sailing to. I replied, that it really didn't matter, as I rarely leave the ship. I find a quiet spot in the shade, listen to great music on my MP3, and watch beautiful girls in bikinis. He smiled, and said it sounded like a perfect place to recover. :D I sailed, I recovered, and I'll continue to sail 5 or 6 times a year. I think cruising will extend my life by several years, at least!

Ken

"Sky"

Archived