What do you think about Continental?

Deborito

We are flying from SEA to SJU on Jan 22, 2009 and returning on Feb 2, 2009. Looking at flying on Continental for $488.00 round trip.

American is $31 dollars less but if you add the $15.00 per bag for first bag each way it really is a wash.

What do you think of Continental Airlines? Is $488.00 pretty resonable to fly that distance? Should I wait for a lower rate? Thanks Debbie

One thing to consider is what kind of back-up service to SJU does Continental have? If you misconnect, can they still get you there within a reasonable amount of time? For example, AA has multiple ways to get you to SJU if you misconnect with your original flight.

What do you think of Continental Airlines?
Its reputation is that it is better than any of the other US airlines. Now, that's in effect saying that it's the best of a bad and sad bunch, but you don't have a lot of choice if you fly US domestic.
Is $488.00 pretty resonable to fly that distance?
No.

No, because it's waaaay too cheap. Ridiculous fares like that are a very large part of the reason why the US airlines are in the trouble that they're in.

Is $488.00 pretty resonable to fly that distance? Should I wait for a lower rate? Thanks Debbie
I'm looking at almost that much (within $20.00) to fly from ERI to TPA R/T in June 2009 on Continental! :eek: Jump on that price...!!:D

ps: Continental is our preferred airline...:)

I appreciate the imput. I think we will book continental. We are going 3 days before the cruise so if there are any snafus we are covered. $488.00 is the price through Continental and it's not even a sale price. I also saw that Continental still serves a meal too. Debbie

CO wanted over $500 for just SEA to FLL, there is another 1000 miles between FLL and SJU.

If you look at the map, SEA and FLL/MIA is the LONGEST distance you can fly accross US lower 48. Then from FLL you go another 1000+ miles South to SJU.

Like Global said, this is waaaaay too cheap - I would say it would barely cover the actual fuel cost to carry you and your luggages this far and return. :)

We are flying from SEA to SJU on Jan 22, 2009 and returning on Feb 2, 2009. Looking at flying on Continental for $488.00 round trip.

American is $31 dollars less but if you add the $15.00 per bag for first bag each way it really is a wash.

What do you think of Continental Airlines? Is $488.00 pretty resonable to fly that distance? Should I wait for a lower rate? Thanks Debbie

Love AA, tolerate Continental since I fly them so frequently between DEN and Houston. They are very cheap but mostly leave late on departures, at least for me.

Have any of you had good experiences with Continental's international travel?

Continental is one of the best carriers and my personal preference. However, its worth noting that if you are flying coach they are behind some of the other foreign carriers at the moment in some respects.

Specifically:

1) You won't get free alcohol on Continental (or any other US carrier for that matter).

2) Getting video on demand is hit or miss. You'll definitely have in flight movies/entertainment, but the form this will take will vary.

If you're on a 757, in coach there will be one movie played at a time for the entire cabin (unless you're really lucky and get one of the refurb'd planes, then you'll have an on-demand system, but there's not many planes fitted this way yet). In business the video is on demand.

IF you're on a 767 or 777, in coach there will be a system that lets you pick from a series of channels that play in continuous 2 hour loops. Unless you're somewhat lucky and get a refurb'd 777, then you might have a great 200+ movie video on demand system (About half the planes have this now). Whatever coach has, business will have on these planes, except business gets a few more channels.

There's no way to tell which system you'll have until a few days before your flight. Bottom line--you'll be entertained, but I do find that on-demand systems make flights a little shorter. But if you're an ipod or personal entertainment type of person, or a book reader or sleeper, this shouldn't matter.

3) Legroom. Continental has a 31" pitch on its 757 and 777 aircraft in coach. Many of the europeans have 32" pitch. Pitch isn't legroom-its the distance from the same point on one seat to the same point on the seat in front of it. I don't know the other US carriers international seat pitches--I imagine some are the same, some are slightly different.

So those are the things to watch out for. Personally I think their service otherwise is top notch and food is decent, so they're my carrier of choice (I fly them about 75k miles per year, in both coach and business).

I hope this helps.

Continental is one of the best carriers and my personal preference. However, its worth noting that if you are flying coach they are behind some of the other foreign carriers at the moment in some respects.

Specifically:

1) You won't get free alcohol on Continental (or any other US carrier for that matter).

2) Getting video on demand is hit or miss. You'll definitely have in flight movies/entertainment, but the form this will take will vary.

If you're on a 757, in coach there will be one movie played at a time for the entire cabin (unless you're really lucky and get one of the refurb'd planes, then you'll have an on-demand system, but there's not many planes fitted this way yet). In business the video is on demand.

IF you're on a 767 or 777, in coach there will be a system that lets you pick from a series of channels that play in continuous 2 hour loops. Unless you're somewhat lucky and get a refurb'd 777, then you might have a great 200+ movie video on demand system (About half the planes have this now). Whatever coach has, business will have on these planes, except business gets a few more channels.

There's no way to tell which system you'll have until a few days before your flight. Bottom line--you'll be entertained, but I do find that on-demand systems make flights a little shorter. But if you're an ipod or personal entertainment type of person, or a book reader or sleeper, this shouldn't matter.

3) Legroom. Continental has a 31" pitch on its 757 and 777 aircraft in coach. Many of the europeans have 32" pitch. Pitch isn't legroom-its the distance from the same point on one seat to the same point on the seat in front of it. I don't know the other US carriers international seat pitches--I imagine some are the same, some are slightly different.

So those are the things to watch out for. Personally I think their service otherwise is top notch and food is decent, so they're my carrier of choice (I fly them about 75k miles per year, in both coach and business).

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the information. I'm flying EWR to BCN in Sept....757.

Debrito- What price did you finally get? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Word to the wise for others in this situation....fares often change from one minute to the next. It looks like while the OP was asking, re-asking, and sitting on the decision the fare may have gone way up. (I hope they got the $488 fare).

The tactic is to decide what is a reasonable fare to you....and when you see it, snap it up. Definitely ask questions on this board but don't start shopping until you have the ammo and a "strike price". If you blink, it can get expensive!

Debrito- What price did you finally get? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Word to the wise for others in this situation....fares often change from one minute to the next. It looks like while the OP was asking, re-asking, and sitting on the decision the fare may have gone way up. (I hope they got the $488 fare).

The tactic is to decide what is a reasonable fare to you....and when you see it, snap it up. Definitely ask questions on this board but don't start shopping until you have the ammo and a "strike price". If you blink, it can get expensive!

I got the $438.00 price on from Continental. It is still that price. We decided to go out of Portland. Husband hates SeaTac. Same price either airport. Debbie

Archived