What are these "$xxx.00 onboard credit each cabin for purchases "?

Excuse my dumb questions, but as a foreigner I do not understand all these "extras".

... "$xxx.00 onboard credit each cabin can be used for purchases " ...

I get these offers on quotes and wonder what they really mean? Do I get this as vouchers to pay for things? Credit for me normally means something I get and later pay for (like credit card) and hence the question?

Are these offers normally valid or just offers that you will never see after buying the ticket? How can I secure that I indeed get them?

Borge

They are offering an onboard credit that will be applied to your onboard account.

So if they offer $200.00, then the first $200 you spend onboard is covered by the credit.

As for the ethics of these agents, I cannot answer that question.

The offers are for money that will be credited to your onboard charge account. They are usually made by the cruise line or travel agent to get you to book with them.

Not sure if you have cruised before, but once you are onboard cash or credit cards are not used...rather you have an onboard account. This is what the onboard credit offers are referring to....

When you are onboard the ship and pay for things such as drinks and photos you do not use cash, instead you have an account set up and you pay the balance at the end of the cruise.

If there is an offer that is offering to give you an onboard creidt, what they are saying is that they will put money onto that accunt for you, so instead of having to pay the entire balalce yourself, there is already a payment made for you which should show up on your account part fo the way through the cruise.

They can be used for ANYTHING you would normally charge to your seapass account...

To answer the question, yes, that does include tips. Tips can be paid with your seapass account.

I realize that tips are automatically applied to you sea pass, I just had been told that on board credits were to be applied towards purchases……..tips really didn’t fall under the “purchases” category in my mind……but a credit is a credit…..I’ll take it!!!

I realize that tips are automatically applied to you sea pass, I just had been told that on board credits were to be applied towards purchases……..tips really didn’t fall under the “purchases” category in my mind……but a credit is a credit…..I’ll take it!!!

I have never had any tips automatically applied to my sea pass card on RCI. Do that do that on any other line? Anybody know.

I have never had any tips automatically applied to my sea pass card on RCI. Do that do that on any other line? Anybody know.

there are 3 basic ways to pay your tips and NONE of them are automatically done. You can tell whomever you booked through to do it and they will add them on to your booking. When you board, they will have a form you fill out to have them added to your seapass account or you can pay them with cash at the end. For the first two choices the last night you will get vouchers and envelopes in your room to hand out. If you don't do prepay then the last night you will just get envelopes to put your cash in to hand out.

Ummm, yes I know..that was what I was saying...

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. The OP's questions seemed to indicate they were not familiar with the whole seapass/tipping process. In case the OP didn't catch that tips could "optionally" go on the seapass, I thought I would make it unambiguous.

If you ask your Travel Agent to arrange for pre-payment of tips, you will be charged for the amount of tips immediately and must pay for them before the cruise. They will NOT be applied towards the Seapass account.

You may go to the Pursers desk, sometime during the first few days of the cruise, fill out a form and ask for the tips to be applied and paid from your Seapass account. You will receive vouchers that you can give to each of the crew members who have provided you with service.

You can also withdraw money (in cash) from your Seapass account (assuming you still have enough to cover it, still in your account:D) and pay cash to each of the crew members that provided service to you.

As a general rule, the crew prefers cash, as it takes about two weeks for them to receive the payments that are made through the voucher system.

Hypo

Archived