Most recent solstice pics - hmmm

...for those of you who don't know it Meyer is several miles up a river. To get the ships down river the water level of the river has to be uped by a whole row of sluice gates then an entire railway bridge has to be removed aswell as a power grid turned off. These transfers are always a big deal in and around Papenburg. Thousands of specators "walk" her down the river. Then there is the Friesenbrücke - well that is going to be a tight squeeze. (those of you who have been in the Panama canal with a panamax class will know what THAT looks like - VERY little space on each side) The ship actually goes down backwards since this manouver allows for more control over the vessel.

We were in Papenburg at the Meyer Werft on July 1st and managed to take over 100 pix. Everything is draped in plastic for protection, but Solstice was looking pretty good to us! I've posted a link to 40 of our pix on the Equinox transatlantic roll-call (Nov. 5, 2009). I'll post it over here as well.

...for those of you who don't know it Meyer is several miles up a river. To get the ships down river the water level of the river has to be uped by a whole row of sluice gates then an entire railway bridge has to be removed aswell as a power grid turned off. These transfers are always a big deal in and around Papenburg. Thousands of specators "walk" her down the river. Then there is the Friesenbrücke - well that is going to be a tight squeeze. (those of you who have been in the Panama canal with a panamax class will know what THAT looks like - VERY little space on each side) The ship actually goes down backwards since this manouver allows for more control over the vessel.

Thanks for the interesting post.If there is any chance you or someone can takes pics of this process it would be great to see them posted here!

So, found the link. Hope it works. Sorry, but I posted the album at the german site of Snapfish. The site belongs to HP (Hewlett Packard) so should be "safe" enough. You will probably need to register, but for most picture sites (including the Kodak Gallery) a registration is necessary.

http://www1.snapfish.de/thumbnailsha...0/t_=100911000

Turns out I have a snapfish acct--just had to remember the password--It accepted it on the German site-

Great shots of Solstice & the beginnings of Equinox.. I have decided not to try & find my cabins for our upcoming Solstice cruises but you sure have a great variety in the pics..bet I could find them if I tried hard enough!

Also loved the last few shots of Papenburg--I would love to visit there some day--.

Thank you for sharing!

Really great pics. I guess you know you're excited for the Solstice and Equinox when construction pictures of balconies and balconies make your day!:D

I think Solstice is looking great, considering the parts draped in covering are complete. It's going to get really exciting when she is moved out of the dock to her new spot and the actual fitting out begins. Those will be some pictures I'll also get overly-excited about and bother my family with.:D

BTW, does anybody know if they're testing Solstice's engines? Just asking becuase I noticed the vent leading from the roof of the building right down to where the funnels will be.

Really great pics. I guess you know you're excited for the Solstice and Equinox when construction pictures of balconies and balconies make your day!:D

I think Solstice is looking great, considering the parts draped in covering are complete. It's going to get really exciting when she is moved out of the dock to her new spot and the actual fitting out begins. Those will be some pictures I'll also get overly-excited about and bother my family with.:D

BTW, does anybody know if they're testing Solstice's engines? Just asking becuase I noticed the vent leading from the roof of the building right down to where the funnels will be.

Engine start on Solstice was done a few weeks ago; here is a link with some pictures of the event.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1498

Archived