How much time do I need between flights connecting in Paris?

stipmom

It depends.

1) Do the flights connect in the same terminal?

2) Do you carry an EU passport (shorter lines)

3) Will your plane arrive on time?

4) If it arrives on time, does it require a bus to the terminal (many do)

Other questions:

1) Is this the last plane that day for Venice -- on the carrier you are using (AF, one assumes)?

2) Are you arriving two or three days early?

Seriously, no can tell you if you are going to make the connection. If it is in the same terminal, you have good chances.

Paul

We had 50 minutes to go from 2D to 2E and we barely made it. 90 minutes should be enough time. Here is a good link to help you.

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/aeroport/aeroport_correspondances_cdg.htm?BV_SessionID=@@@@1354864874.1216703238@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadeejemmmegcefecekedgfndggh.0

clik where it says this on the site. NEW: Display the transfer routes between the various terminals.

It probably depends on the level of anxiety your comfortable experiencing. VBG

Regretably, in todays' airline industry, on-time flights are getting to be more the exception than the rule. Additionally, you always have a major unknown, the weather. Sure, there is a chance 90 minutes is enough, but personally I would consider that the bare minimum. I personally would not consider a layover of less than 2.5 hrs., when going to Europe.

Travel days are hectic enough when all goes well, therefore I like to give myself plenty of time if I have connecting flight. On both our outgoing & incoming flights for our upcoming cruise, I have provided for approximately 3.5 hr layovers each way. (I like to be as relaxed as possible on travel days).

I found the web site below to beneficial. It indicated that my departing flight from Newark was averaging 35 minute delays on departure, with occassional delays of up to an hour. I suggest you look up your departing flight, so that you get an idea of its' percentage of departures which were on time, as well as the average time lost when delays were experienced.

The web site is: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do

* On the right side of the page click on the flight tab and input your specific flight information & then hit "Go".

* On the next page scroll down to the section "More Info. About This Flight". Click on "On time performance for Newark to Paris" (Assuming your leaving from Newark).

* Then on the next page, scroll down to "Historical On Time Performance Ratings". Look to the right and you will "This route by time of day". Click on this, and it will display the delays experienced by you flight by day of the week & hour of the day.

Of course, information displayed is based on past experience, and is no guarantee that you will experience the same, if any, delay.

Stay well,

Anthony

Was very interested in this... going from Term.3 to Term.2 B to also catch Easyjet flight to Venice.

Playing with 1 hour and 20 minutes(unfortunately)

*** Am unable to pull up the interactive terminal map.....but sounds exactly what I'm looking for !! Any other site ??? I have a general map..but not really any good.

Thanks,

Sharon

The flight I am considering for Venice connects there. Is 90 minutes enough time?

:eek: NO NO NO, not if you're flying from the US into Paris first! I hate to rain on the parade, but... DeGaulle is the worst airport EVER. Among other things, they are infamous for losing luggage (and not caring less about it, either). I would never, NEVER fly from the US through DeGaulle without at least two hours, and preferably much more, layover time just to be safe.

Apart from the maddening incompetence that is peculiar to the Paris airport, keep in mind that there is always the possibility of the "normal" sorts of delays due to weather or mechanical issues, the kinds of things that could happen at any airport. To be honest, I'm amazed that any TA would even offer to sell you a ticket with such a short layover--I thought that the computer system wouldn't permit them to!

If you are contemplating an arrival from the US do not even consider such a short interline period at CDG. I am a retired pilot who flew for a company which operated within Europe for Air France and CDG was effectively my operating base. While I would not agree that CDG is the worst airport, (LHR holds that title), movement between terminals is not easy at CDG particularly since you have to collect baggage and clear immigration. The only exception would be a through ticket with Air France to Venice when it becomes their problem.

Would you not do better to break your journey at CDG, there are many hotels on the airport, and travel on refreshed the next day?

We are flying Air France to Rome in October with a connection in Paris. I am assuming we don't have to collect our bags and go through customs until we arrive in Rome - is this correct?

No, you have to collect your luggage,go through customs and then re-check your luggage. Coming home you luggage should go through until you landin the US. I am connecting in Paris to go to Barcelona. I have a 2 hr lay over and I am thinking I may have to change my flight to the next flight.

quote=bheals1 No, you have to collect your luggage,go through customs and then re-check your luggage. Coming home you luggage should go through until you landin the US. I am connecting in Paris to go to Barcelona. I have a 2 hr lay over and I am thinking I may have to change my flight to the next flight.

When did this change? The last time I flew through Paris to go to Barcelona, (prior to 9/11), we didn't go through customs until we got to Barcelona.

Sorry maybe I read this wrong. It is on AF website.

Your baggage

If you are transferring to a train (TGV) or a flight leaving from Paris-Orly: you must pick up your baggage from the belt by following the "Baggage reclaim" signs.

You can then make your way to the Air France/Thalys counter in the TGV station or to your flight check-in counter to check in your baggage.

Wow, I'm so glad I was checking these boards tonight. I called Delta and they confirmed that we do have collect bags and go through customs in Paris. They had us on a connection to Rome with only 55 minutes between flights - so not enough time to do all of that. Delta agreed, so they now have us on a flight from Cincinnati to Newark and then on a direct flight on Continental to Rome - we get to bypass the mess in Paris completely, so much better for us and I even got a refund on the taxes - $20 pp since Paris is higher. Love these boards, and thanks for the heads up! :)

Now I am throughly confused. I am flying to Barcelona with Delta/Air France in August. The Delta International desk at 1-800-241-4141 just told me that I DO NOT have to claim luggage when I am connecting in Paris. I can, they say, check it all the way to Barcelona when I board in the U.S.

Mek, Bheals, where did you get the info that bags will have to be claimed? Much thanks. evilpandatoestix@hotmail.com

Also, the same AF website that had the info bheals1 found says this:

Your baggage

• In most cases, if you have a transfer to a flight leaving from Paris-Charles de Gaulle, your baggage is checked in all the way to your final destination.
    You do not have to take care of it!

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/aeroport/aeroport_correspondances_cdg.htm

:eek: NO NO NO, not if you're flying from the US into Paris first! I hate to rain on the parade, but... DeGaulle is the worst airport EVER. Among other things, they are infamous for losing luggage (and not caring less about it, either). I would never, NEVER fly from the US through DeGaulle without at least two hours, and preferably much more, layover time just to be safe.

Apart from the maddening incompetence that is peculiar to the Paris airport, keep in mind that there is always the possibility of the "normal" sorts of delays due to weather or mechanical issues, the kinds of things that could happen at any airport. To be honest, I'm amazed that any TA would even offer to sell you a ticket with such a short layover--I thought that the computer system wouldn't permit them to!

I second this post. Last december, we had a horrendous time making our connection to Barcelona. Through security twice, going up stairs, down stairs, back upstairs-it was just awful. I would avoid this airport at all costs!

I called Delta and they confirmed that we do have collect bags and go through customs in Paris.
Continental also confirmed.
This is simply incorrect, if you are connecting at Paris on a connection where both flights are written on one ticket.

This is the correct position:-

I am flying to Barcelona with Delta/Air France in August. The Delta International desk at 1-800-241-4141 just told me that I DO NOT have to claim luggage when I am connecting in Paris. I can, they say, check it all the way to Barcelona when I board in the U.S.
It may be different if your connection is written across two separate tickets, and the first airline refuses to through-check the bags; or in the very unlikely event that the two airlines don't have an interline baggage agreement (this is very unlikely if you're flying on major airlines).

For more information, come to the Cruise Air forum where there are some SkyTeam experts.

Tally, did you end up making the connection? How much time did you have?

Yes, we did make our connection, running most of the way-it almost killed me-lol! I think we had about an hour and 45 minutes (don't remember). I will never go through DeGaulle again unless it is our final destination. The Air France flight from Houston was a nice 777 and was a very smooth flight. We almost missed THAT connection, too, because our Continental flight from Phoenix was late. If one of those golf cart guys hadn't lead- footed us over to the international terminal, we would have missed Air France as they were already boarding. What an experience!

Very surprisingly, our bags made it! I was shocked.:D

Yes, we did make our connection, running most of the way-it almost killed me-lol! I think we had about an hour and 45 minutes (don't remember). I will never go through DeGaulle again unless it is our final destination. The Air France flight from Houston was a nice 777 and was a very smooth flight. We almost missed THAT connection, too, because our Continental flight from Phoenix was late. If one of those golf cart guys hadn't lead- footed us over to the international terminal, we would have missed Air France as they were already boarding. What an experience!

Very surprisingly, our bags made it! I was shocked.:D

Why did you have to run with an hour and 45 minutes? Was your connecting flight from a different airline?

:( We have only an hour and 25 mins to make our connection. Tally, what time did your flight arrive? We are supposed to be there at 6:20 a.m. so maybe, there will be less people and a shorter wait time?

I'll be prepared to run!

Ooh crap - we got our tickets through Priceline and we arrive at CDG @ 8:50am and our flight to Barcelona departs at 9:35am.......that only leaves us 45 minutes. Both flights are on Air France....................If we don't make our connecting flight to Barcelona, will AF bump us to the next available flight? We are arriving a day early so a two or three hour delay isn't a huge deal.....

Archived