What do You Think of This Idea???

sail7seas

Okay.....

So, how about we dump the tv's.

How about we have a pub atmosphere with Karaoke some nights, irish sing-a-longs, country western...... Keep the music; dump the tv's.

But I still want the pub food offerings and good selection of beer and ale

I don't get the need for more food at another bar-type venue.

Especially pub grub, which is not exactly the healthiest stuff to serve! :eek:

After a lovely dinner in the dining room, most people don't need a chaser of nachos or fried chicken wings.

I would love to see more beers included as the choices are so limited.

How about one of those "around the world" beer tours? Offer different brands each night as a special.

To me, pubs are small, dark and full of smoke. Not appealing on the high seas.

Adding an additional lounge, pub, sports bar, whatever you want to call it, is a good idea, but I do object to charging for any kind of food. :mad:

Not the case on Cunard.

You can get a good pub lunch without paying extra for the food.

The only charge is for the drinks.

It's pretty popular ... the Golden Lion is always packed during the pub lunch.

My hubby is avid beer drinker and loves all the special beers. We were on the QE2 last October cruising the Med and they have a great pub with great beers and I forget what huge championship football (soccer) game was playing but the place was packed. They even put extra wide screen t.v.s in the pub for the event. Nothing like watching all the ladies and gents in formal attire standing up and cheering for their team.

Those who wanted to ballroom dance or sit quietly and listen to a piano player went to those venues.

The German ship, the Deutschland, is a very formal ship however they have a wonderful pub at the back of the ship with great beers and pub food, in their case, brats and sausages. Gentleman smoked cigars in the open air seating area that was just outside the pub.

I have been on a few ships with martini bars so why not a pub for the beer drinkers?

After a lovely dinner in the dining room, most people don't need a chaser of nachos or fried chicken wings.

How about one of those "around the world" beer tours? Offer different brands each night as a special.

Again, it's about choices. Maybe someone may feel like skipping the dining room but doesn't want Pinnacle Grill either. Lido never appealed to us in the evening.

Choices...... no one would make anyone go there or eat anything they didn't wish to eat.

There are few here who eat more healthy than I do......doesn't mean I can't appreciate someone else likes buffalo wings and doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing someone get pleasure having food they enjoy. No one would make be eat the wins, I'm sure.

Not the case on Cunard.

You can get a good pub lunch without paying extra for the food.

The only charge is for the drinks.

It's pretty popular ... the Golden Lion is always packed during the pub lunch.

So.... why wouldn't it be a good idea on HAL?

I think it sounds like a great idea. I know that DH would like it if they offered different types of draft beers. Unfortunately I am not sure about doing the draft, it seems somewhere I read that could not do that and it seems they only serve bottle beer because of not being able to have the kegs. Now I could be wrong about this.

But yes have some different type of foods like a sports bar do, wings, fingers, pizza and other types of finger foods. Even offer sliders:D I got bets the place would be packed.

Oh my, yes! Wienies! Nothing like 3 "gaggers" with the works at midnight to help this lady from Rhode Island have a great nights sleep!

Martha

My first reaction was OH NO, Not the Piano Bar! But the more I think about it, the more I think it wouldn't be so bad. Pubs can very comfortable, and a nice selection of beers would please a lot of people. On the rare occasion we have a heavy lunch on board, there is no room at all for a dinner. Pub "nibbles" would be most welcome on a day like that. Yes, we could definitely live with it.

After this post Sail I am in!!! I was going back and forth and when I hear "Chaser nachos and Fried chickin wings" that sold it for me.

There is a pub in San Antonio that is exactly what you are talking about, it is called Dirty Nelly's and offers everthing we are mentioning here.

So tell me Sail, which ship are we going to start this out on?

We like the piano bar because it's easy to get a drink there and the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. If the piano player is good, so much the better. I think the piano bar is a "staple" that shouldn't be changed. It would make more sense to re-do another bar area into a pub. I love English pubs, but would not venture into one on the ship if it had TVs with the incessant sports and cigarette smoke. I like the idea expressed here of offering a wider range of beers at the piano bar.

After this post Sail I am in!!! I was going back and forth and when I hear "Chaser nachos and Fried chickin wings" that sold it for me.

There is a pub in San Antonio that is exactly what you are talking about, it is called Dirty Nelly's and offers everthing we are mentioning here.

So tell me Sail, which ship are we going to start this out on?

:D Seeing as Noordam has a sports bar ...... I vote for Maasdam.

GEE.... I'm sure that's a shocker. :D :)

Again, it's about choices. Maybe someone may feel like skipping the dining room but doesn't want Pinnacle Grill either. Lido never appealed to us in the evening.

Choices...... no one would make anyone go there or eat anything they didn't wish to eat.

There are few here who eat more healthy than I do......doesn't mean I can't appreciate someone else likes buffalo wings and doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing someone get pleasure having food they enjoy. No one would make be eat the wins, I'm sure.

YES!!! I absolutely agree!!!

It is all about choices.

[And my choice is a piano bar! ;-)]

I know people who like stripper bars. Not my cup of tea, but I might enjoy seeing someone get pleasure from watching a woman on a pole.

HAL should investigate all sorts of options for its drinking venues. Absolutely!

We need choices!

As long as the nacho cheese sauce doesn't drip on my formal gown while I'm watching the Celtics.

I love English pubs, but would not venture into one on the ship if it had TVs with the incessant sports and cigarette smoke. I like the idea expressed here of offering a wider range of beers at the piano bar.

Golden Lion on QM is smoke-free during the afternoon pub meals.

Once they're done serving the food, the ashtrays come out again. So no worries there.

Here's my proposed variation: By all means, bring on the specialty beers! - that part of it is a GREAT idea. Keep the piano, but alternate "piano bar nights" (for which HAL would ONLY hire good piano players who enjoy interacting with the crowd and do it well) with "pub nights" (offering primarily conversation and free pub food, maybe with piano in the background). About half of the formal nights could be "pub nights" in the piano bar, and for those nights only, the piano bar could be an alternative casual dress dining area.

TVs could be added, but only on ships that don't already have a sports bar, and to be used only when there is a major sporting event that a lot of passengers won't want to miss (e.g., Superbowl, World Series, Olympics).

Well, all I can say is it's darned lucky RuthC isn't here! She'd be climbing the walls about now since her absolute favorite hangout is the Piano Bar.

I love it, too. It's different than any other bar and if I want nachos or a pub-like atmosphere, I'll stay home and head for Duffy's.

On the other hand, you don't find a lot of piano bars back home ... a place you can go to and sing along with new found friends who enjoy it as much as you do.

This "change" thing is out of control ... every 5 seconds everyone wants "change". Let's just take all the "style" out of HAL because little by little I see that's what's happening. I don't agree piano bars aren't popular on the ships and just like others here I've seen quite a crowd in there later in the evening. We've often found it a nice change before dinner as well.

This idea sounds like a "float" from Seattle;) ... toss it out there and see how people react.

Sorry Sail, but a pub/sports bar is not our cup of tea -- we have no interest in watching sports on TV at home so we certainly would not do that on board ship. It would not provide, for us, an enjoyable ambiance, though we could imagine others that would feel very different.

We have enjoyed many a piano bar as well as music trivia in the piano bar while at sea. Sometimes we avoid the piano bar like the plague -- it is definitely entertainer dependent. This is not something that we would like to see disappear in favor of a substitute that is more like what we can find at home. The piano bar is one of those things that make a cruise a cruise, and when the entertainment is good we find it an important part of our cruise experience.

I love it, too. It's different than any other bar and if I want nachos or a pub-like atmosphere, I'll stay home and head for Duffy's.

This idea sounds like a "float" from Seattle;) ... toss it out there and see how people react.

Shhhh ... don't give Kruse any more "brilliant" ideas. ;)

Please don't "mess" with the Piano Bar! Since so many of the other bars seem to be much alike, why not turn one of them into your desired pub? The Piano Bar has a unique "aura" and I see no reason to change it.

Although each of the pianists that we have met on the ships has his/her own style of entertaining, they have always given us much enjoyment and lots of happy memories. Here in New England there is an adage, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". This, IMO, certainly applies to the Piano Bar.

Archived