Do guys ever cruise as a single?

JulPau9

This will be my fourth solo cruise and find it a great way of meeting new friends and relaxing at the same time. I am a retired male who enjoys the good live of cruising.

I just returned from a singles cruise on the Legend, my advice to men is go for it, there were not enough of you, I belive our group had more women which is good odds for you guys! I hope lots more men start getting on the singles band wagon!;)

I just returned from a singles cruise on the Legend, my advice to men is go for it, there were not enough of you, I belive our group had more women which is good odds for you guys! I hope lots more men start getting on the singles band wagon!;)

I think that will always be the case. Speaking as a man, I love the male to female ratio on cruises :p

I've sailed alone the last 2 years and had a great time. I've never had a problem meeting others either, although I do think it is a little more difficult for men than for women, as far as meeting others, probably because men are usually the ones to make the first move in a social setting. But I would recommend everyone try going solo at least once.

Well I agree also with others on this board. I recently returned from cruising the Dawn Princess from 4/9-4/19. It was my fifth cruise and I wen't solo on all of them. I also never had a problem meeting others also. (Meeting folks on the cruise critic boards prior to the trip is one way to do it as well as joining in the activities). Although there were a few singles onboard that cruise, I still had a great time anyway. Next time I take a cruise by myself, I like to try the organized singles cruise so at least they'll be plenty of singles to hang out with.

Cruising alone - wow, you all must be made of money!!! I don't want to do "singles" cruises specifically, but would rather hang out with a whole range of different people. There is no way I could afford the single supplement on any ship, although I would probably enjoy travelling alone, having a cabin to myself, doing what I like, meeting lots of new people and having a lovely pampering relax at the same time!! Financially though, its not an option! All of you who travel by yourselves, you're very fortunate!

September05 ;)

Hi:)

Everyone has different circumstances. Made of Money? Nope, not by a long shot.

Though my living situation is (thankfully) low maitenance. I have been working for the same company for almost 15 years and get quite a bit of vacation time.

I save extra money every paycheck.

I either book quite far in advance(gives me time to save) and/or book last minute if I find "HAPPY HOUR" prices~they can save even solo cruisers ALOT of money.

I live on my own and cruising is what I give myself~there is no mate, partner, or whatever they are called these days;)

And yes, I am very fortunate to be able to cruise....and I try to remember to thank my lucky stars every day about it!!!! (or at least when I book:D )

Oh, if I wasn't on a cruise, I would still choose to do some type of land vacation. (I did that for many years). The value, In my opinion, is so much better on a ship!!!

Hi LoisR! I think what probably makes it worse is that to DO those wonderful cruises that you all talk about all the time, I have to GET to the States first from Australia and then take the cruise - adds another few grand to the trip overall (and you know how pathetic our dollar is!). Oh woe is me. One day I'll make it there. If I could travel to the Med and Alaska and the Panama Canal for a few hundred dollars I think I would probably go a few times a year too!!

Meanwhile I will just have to live vicariously through everyone on the boards!! Keep up the travelling ok!

September05 :)

Ohhh...I wasn't even looking at your signature. You are downunder! Long ways from the Caribbean that is for sure!

I would love to visit your country one day:)

• 2 weeks later...

Lois,

I have taken three cruises. One singles cruise to the caribean. Two regular cruises by myself. I love the experience. I am swm 48 and I find I have the best vacation experience ever on the ships by myself. I am booked for a cruise in October on the Oosterdam, I am going by myself. I love to dance and never have a shortage of partners. Take the chance, you will not regret it.

Tom

Hi Tom:)

Take the chance on what?:confused: Maybe I misunderstood your post. I have been sailing solo for 2 years now.

I love sailing solo~I can do what I want, when I want:D See the list under my signature. All those cruises were solo. I LOVE IT:D

So when you said take a chance, did you mean something else?

September05,

Yes, I was talking about you. I find that if I book 6 to 10 months in advance. The fares are more reasonable. If you really want to get brave, the cruise companies have companion rates. I would really have to be crazy to take another land based vacation again.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

hey gang

Have done 19cruises so far with 20th coming later this year. Next year summer I thing I will be doing my first solo cruise. I want to do Alaska but none of my cruisemates are up to it, so I will be doing that one alone.

Can anyone suggest the line they think best for Alaska Inside passage for single 33yo male.

M

IMHO there isn't a bad ship for Alaska for you bec. you can find sooo much to do onshore.. have been 6 times and there have been 30-somethings on both RCI and Princess although I prefer HAL and Princess for their excellent onboard programs there.. On Princess the Brit bartenders are a hoot and very easy to hang out with.. It's a very "mixed bag" in Alaska now but I think you would find younger gruop on Princess overall. There are great rates semi last minute in Alsaka each year if you aren't fussy about ship and can go on 2 months notice or so.. some as low as 499pp which as a single would work out much cheaper than usual single supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there are any single men, 50+ years, sailing aboard Mariner of the Seas on October 30th? I'm convinced there's not one coming along!

I'll again be cruising with my brother, his DW and his MIL and expect as usual to have a great time. Despite the delight I take in their company, it's always nice to meet up with a gentleman who shares my interests and enjoys getting together a time or two during the cruise for coffee or a glass of wine.

Believe me - I'm not "soliciting" male companionship!!! I'm just an active 56-year-old female, a former "cop" who is also a nurse (lpn2) and who's curious if any of you single gents are sailing with us?

Are there are any single men, 50+ years, sailing aboard Mariner of the Seas on October 30th? I'm convinced there's not one coming along!

I'll again be cruising with my brother, his DW and his MIL and expect as usual to have a great time. Despite the delight I take in their company, it's always nice to meet up with a gentleman who shares my interests and enjoys getting together a time or two during the cruise for coffee or a glass of wine.

Believe me - I'm not "soliciting" male companionship!!! I'm just an active 56-year-old female, a former "cop" who is also a nurse (lpn2) and who's curious if any of you single gents are sailing with us?

Wish I was doing this cruise as I would love to have a coffee or a glass of wine with you. My next cruise is the QE2 NYC to LA in January which I am doing solo. Maybe some other time. Have a wonderful cruise.

Tumeroll - So sorry you won't be aboard! I promise that sometime during my cruise in October I'll "raise my glass" to you as I recall how graciously you replied to my query.

Hope you have a wonderful trip aboard QE2 in January. I hope someday to do a transatlantic cruise, but for now I'lm looking forward to enjoying the warm Carribbean sunshine this fall and my first cruise aboard RCCL's Mariner of the Seas.

Happy Independence Day, Tumeroll and all!

Cindy

I agree with tho other posters, but as a single male and solo cruiser I can help. Cruising is a blast and great vacation whether with someone special or alone. I've cruised single 4x then accompanied 3x and now will be cruising single again. Guess what Happened? " The bi!#&". Singles group cruises are good. I insist on my own cabin. I really don't need roommate problems. Sometimes the single cruise rates are acceptable and I book other times I've tagged along and will be doing so for an upcoming Halloween cruise. I don't drink so being excluded from their exclusive cocktail parties does not bother me. It's important as a single male to "work it" early in the cruise, so that people get to know you. That means trying not to arrive at the cruiseship exhausted. Do not miss your first late dinner with assigned table mates. You'll probably get along and even if they're not what your looking for, they are your allies. Most hookups happen in the first 2 days. After that it's too late. Have expectations only for a fun vacation and you'll have a great time.

Archived