Do guys ever cruise as a single?

JulPau9

I like the sounds of the freedom of cruising as a single. I heard mention of singles playing extra. Approximately how much extra is this? Does one particular line schedule more than the others? :cool:

Russ

I'm sure that it depends on the line that you go on. However, on Carnival you can get a 1A cabin for 150% or 200% for all other cabin types. I always book a 1A when I go solo and normally get upgraded. For me, it doesn't matter what cabin I'm in as long as I'm on a ship. lol

-Mark

For those of you who are wondering about cruising solo, I would say if you're hesitant do a short cruise to see if you like it or not. I always believe that you don't know if you like something or not until you've tried it. I've been on quite a few cruises solo and have had a great time on all of them.

-Mark

I like the sounds of the freedom of cruising as a single. I heard mention of singles playing extra. Approximately how much extra is this? Does one particular line schedule more than the others? :cool:

Russ

Hi Russ:), extra varies. It is a single supplement and usually

runs from about 140% up to 200% on the mass market lines,

to a much lower supplement on the true luxury lines, although

whenever I have priced those lines the actual cost is so much

more than I can do, so the low supplement doesn't help me.

Your last question...does one line schedule what more than

others? The supplements? Unless you find something on

special they all have them.

I always cruise solo....its the only way for me:).....

doing what I want, when I want!....it is definitely freedom!

• 1 month later...

Russ

I'm usually the designated "single girl" in a group of friends that sails annually, so I often book my cabin and sail to my heart's content. As for cost...I know for Carnival, the cost is typically the double-occupancy rate for the cabin, with only one set of taxes and fees, depending on the room. Since I am a balcony junkie (sailed on Ocean-View and thought I would go batty), it is unlikely that the single premium would be lower than the cost of the cabin with double-occupancy, but for me, $1200-$1600 is about what I expect for a week of luxury, with food and entertainment included.

I recently went on a week-long dive trip to Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles, and it included all diving stuffs (boat trips, unlimited Nitrox [breathing air], and use of the dive shop), airfare and room (shared with another person), without food...and the cost was about the same at $1465, so cruising for the same amount is justifiable for me.

I will be having my first true "solo-cruise" next month for the week of Thanksgiving...was invited by the art gallery to participate...and everyone I knew either had to be with their family, doesn't like to sail or couldn't take the time off...so I am going alone. I'm sure I can hang out with the art folks, but I am fairly independent and usually do alright traveling on my own (I do this a lot for work). Hope to make some friends on this upcoming cruise, having already checked in on Roll Call, but it seems to be a quieter group than other Roll Calls. Hopefully, I will see some of you out there! cheers2.gif

• 1 month later...

hey everyone, add me to the list of single male cruisers. Ive been on two cruises solo so far, and its my belief that the single/solo female segment in my age group is nearly non-existent (or I just never find out where they are hiding). I was 27 and then 29 on my two solo cruises. Maybe I am just cruising at the wrong time of the year? (fall/winter) I did have a mid 50's recently divorced table mate come on to me all week long at dinner on my last solo cruise, but thats another story:rolleyes:

This observation will not preventing me from cruising again, of course. I see many more solo trips in my future.

I've only been on one cruise and that was solo. It was on a Riviera cruise on Carnival Pride. I was certainly a little unsure about the whole thing but when I got on the ship I ended up meeting a huge group crusing together after a friends wedding.... I also participated in as many of the crazy carnival activities that I could.. even won their fear factor competition....so fort he rest of the week, people we're stopping me in the hall saying "hey it's the fear factor guy!"

lol Anyway it was a lot of fun so I'm cruising solo again. This time on NCL Star on 2/7/09. It's nice to be able to have your own space so while you can be a social butterfly one minute.... it's nice to be able to charge your batteries back at the room alone. You're in the driver's seat of your vacation...and that's fantastic.

Cody

• 1 month later...

My next two cruises are Solo..... the end of March and November. It would be great to share these experiences with someone, but it is always fun to meet others from cruise critic boards on board. I consider these solo vacations as a ME VACATION from the WORLD...:)

Hi Norman:) I see you are on Solstice. I was invited to

the Naming Ceremony back in November. I haven't booked her

for a regular cruise.

You know about the roll call section right? I am sure there

is one for your sailing and most times the people are very

friendly.

The ship is a beauty, although a little large for my taste.

I am sure you will have a great time though:)

Hi Norman:) I see you are on Solstice. I was invited to

the Naming Ceremony back in November. I haven't booked her

for a regular cruise.

You know about the roll call section right? I am sure there

is one for your sailing and most times the people are very

friendly.

The ship is a beauty, although a little large for my taste.

I am sure you will have a great time though:)

Hi Lois,

Thanks for the shout back.... I am so looking to this cruise....

I have enrolled for the CC Get Together... I am so looking forward to Chocolate and or Expresso Martini's..... Got hooked on them my last cruise...:D

Hi Lois,

Thanks for the shout back.... I am so looking to this cruise....

I have enrolled for the CC Get Together... I am so looking forward to Chocolate and or Expresso Martini's..... Got hooked on them my last cruise...:D

omg...I LOVE the Expressotini too:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

After many cruises with friends, family, my ex & always my DD, I finally broke down & booked a singles cruise.

Is anyone by chance also on the Splendour of the Seas in September???

It would be great fun to have some of the fun loving singles also on board! ;)

Barbara

I am a single mom. I have cruised solo and as solo adult with my kids - which as you said - has a lot of single/solo aspects!

I love meeting people on a cruise!

Some tips that I can thnk of -

- Request a large dinner table. I have been seated with "like" Pax and this is a good way to meet people. For example, On my last cruise with my 14 y.o. DD we were seated with a single dad and his teens.

- Find (or start) the Cruise Critic Roll Call Thread for your sailing. It is nice to get to know some people before you sail and often times these roll calls wind up with people meeting on the ship. Since you mention that you are shy at first this might be the biggest plus because you will at least feel like you "know" some people on board which may help you open up a bit more easily.

- Ship sponsored excursions are good for the solo cruiser. People always chat on these excursions and you will be meeting people on your ship.

- Try to face your fear!! Go ahead and try to start up a conversation with people around you....while on your lounge chair, have a cup of coffee in a public area, take a seat in a bar/lounge....it should be easier to do this on a cruise than almost anywhere else!! I have found that in general cruisers are more friendly and open to meeting "strangers" and love to talk about the cruise they are currently on or past cruises!! On my last cruise I met a wonderful couple while waiting on line to embark.... Had drinks with them several times throughout the cruise both on the ship and in port.

- Don't be afraid to go to a show or lounge alone. I have noticed that aside from solo travellers many couples even split up and go to different venues alone.

Most of all....REALX AND ENJOY!!! :D

I am going to try--My first cruise in April

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a single cruiser I enjoy meeting al the people onboard. I take 6 - 8 cruises a year sometimes with a large group of singles and many alone, although I seldom find myself alone as there is always someone to talk with.

• 1 year later...
If single men only realized what the ratio of single men to women is on a cruise, they'd be flocking to book!! For you men, you'll never have a problem meeting single women on a cruise! ;) :D

I find that a complete oppisate..Ive only had 2 encounters on all the 17 cruises ive been on. Yea I normally go with my immediate family..(sister, her husband, my parents, etc). But i normally have my own cabin and do my own thing around ship. Im a shy person and not really that outgoing. But i dont have a problem with others comming up to me to start a conversation, which rarely happens.

The last couple cruises I started wearing Kilts full time. That does help start conversations. But mostly are from married women who are there with there familys. On the Miracle last year I was complimented by a group of teenagers that they liked that i wore a Kilt and had the comfidence to wear one. That suprized me..Usually that age group (12-17), are the ones to call me "gay" and other names because of my kilt wearing.

• 3 weeks later...
The last couple cruises I started wearing Kilts full time. That does help start conversations. But mostly are from married women who are there with there familys. On the Miracle last year I was complimented by a group of teenagers that they liked that i wore a Kilt and had the comfidence to wear one. That suprized me..Usually that age group (12-17), are the ones to call me "gay" and other names because of my kilt wearing.

I would totally go for a guy wearing a kilt. I agree with the teenagers and I generally just like a guy who isn't afraid to be himself.

I too am quite shy and have trouble meeting people. I'm good if someone starts talking to me but approaching people on my own has always been nerve racking for me. I am going on my first solo cruise in Jan. A little nervous. Worried I won't meet people my own age.

Hey David, if I ever find myself on the same cruise as you I will want to meet you! My family (from a very few generations back) is from Ireland and Scotland. A kilt! Where I come from men cringe at wearing pink! Takes a real man. Nothing better than being yourself. Gotta admire that.;)

Does anyone have tips on how to meet other singles on a non-singles cruise? I'll be with my mom on a 15 day cruise this Dec. Is it a good idea to not hang out with my mom at times?

If only David were there with his kilt, I'd know at least one single person.

Re: Kilts

I'm not Irish or Scottish, but apparently my alma mater has had their own tartan approved. Do women wear anything with the tartan?

GreySkies, I suggest visiting the CC roll call for your cruise and stating your status as well as looking to see if other singles have stated they're single. Normally the ship will have a singles meet announcement in the daily schedule (often the second evening), I've only gone to two of these with limited participation. I know of no tried and true method of meeting other singles just be flexible and visit public areas and be prepared to talk. Enjoy the cruise and good luck.

Archived