Are we allowed to ask...

clueless2

Are we allowed to ask about experiences with specific Travel Agencies on this board. I have a quote from on on-line agency that is a HECK of a deal.... and I'm afraid it falls into the "if it's to good to be true it probably is" category. (It happens to be for a HAL cruise so I thought I'd start here)?

I haven't been able to find much info about them online - except they were mentioned in a Washington Post article a couple of years ago....

That's kind of what I thought. Here are the details:

HAL Zuiderdam, Holland America Line

Sails: April 8th, 2009 for 10 nights

Starting in Fort Lauderdale with stops in Half Moon Cay, Oranjestad, Willemstad, Enter Panama Canal Cristobal, Gatun Lake, Exit Panama Canal Cristobal, Colon, Puerto Limon

3 agencies I have inquired to are in the $1700 for a VF.

One agency is around $1000 for a VF and $870 for an H

$1000 for 10 nights in a VF....hmmm sounds a little to good to be true to me. I checked a couple of the online sites I've used in the past that are pretty competitive and the $1700 figure is what I'm seeing. If it's legitimate I'll give you my email because I want to get in on that.

The $1000 for a VF is kinda scary-low, if you ask me. $1650-1700 seems to be the average "best" rate at this time.

I wonder if the $1000 agency is not adding in everything that needs to be added.....

Let us know what you find out. You're smart to be checking....

Always make sure you are comparing apples to apples.....

Most of the time, the advertised price does not include fuel supplements, taxes, fees, and port charges!

Also, some online agencies charge a booking fee. This fee is non-refundable even if you cancel before final payment.

Yes, get the final price before you compare. My TA always gave me the total price including taxes and fuel supplements. No surprises that way.

When I was interested in finding out about a particular online agent that does advertise on CC, I did a google search "name of agency and reviews" I found out enough that made me very leary of wanting to deal with them."

Also find out if they charge you if you make changes or cancel your reservation before final payment is due.

Good point Growler!

After we had booked and made final payment on our Fall cruise on the Zuiderdam, my sister called me one night to complain that her husband had found the same cruise on HALs website for much much less. After several minutes back and forth while my BIL insisted he was looking at the HAL website and that was the current price, while my computer told me $$$ more for the same cabin category, I asked if the price had CDN or even USD in front of the price. He very sheepishly admitted that it said GBP :o . Somehow he had logged into the UK HAL website. I love it when I can prove him wrong :D

Bonnie

All prices are inclusive of port feed, taxes and fuel surcharges. I look forward to serving all your cruise needs in the future. Call me soon, as space is limited on this sailing.

That is what his quote says. Also he is in Florida.

Are we allowed to ask about experiences with specific Travel Agencies on this board. I have a quote from on on-line agency that is a HECK of a deal.... and I'm afraid it falls into the "if it's to good to be true it probably is" category. (It happens to be for a HAL cruise so I thought I'd start here)?

I haven't been able to find much info about them online - except they were mentioned in a Washington Post article a couple of years ago....

JMO --run as quickly as you can -- I would never trust a deal like that.

All prices are inclusive of port feed, taxes and fuel surcharges. I look forward to serving all your cruise needs in the future. Call me soon, as space is limited on this sailing.

Just FYI, space is not limited on that sailing. Except for categories NN, N, HH and SZ, the ship is wide open. And I mean WIDE open. Even one of the PS is available.

I agree with Sea Island Lady (who's probably a neighbor of mine...lol) that he may have group rates ... but even those wouldn't be @ $1000 for a VF.

Could it be a group cruise?

I'd flat out ask how he can give you such a great price, when others are quoting $700 more? ;)

I have emailed him asking how he can do it. I'll let you know what I find out.

And thanks to all for their input.

I always am leary of those who try to push their product/service by stating that I must act almost immediately or the deal will go poof. I think it is high-pressure and shows desperation on the part of the salesperson ... and I run very fast from those using this tactic.

While there still may be gobs of availability for this sailing, perhaps this T/A has contracted with HAL for a block of cabins at a bargain rate and has only a few of those blocked (or group) cabins left ... and has to peddle them fast or lose his option.

Price is not my sole concern. Cheaper with (potentially) crummy or no service loses out, for me, to a higher price with assured quality service.

Clueless - If you do decide to book thru this TA, make sure you do as much research about the agency as you can. See if you can get any references. Any BBB complaints? Ask about the deposit. Make certain that the deposit is paid to HAL & not kept in the TA's account. Is this for a specific VF cabin or a guarantee?

I think there are quite a few CCers here that are very interested in what you find out. ;) Be sure to let us know. Thanks.

I have been told, that if booking through an agency you are not too sure about......GET INSURANCE, but NOT through that agency.

We have been on MANY cruises, and used Many different travel agents. Finally found "The One". Her prices are not the absolute lowest, (better than HAL's) and her service is EXCEPTIONAL! Carol

That's kind of what I thought. Here are the details:

HAL Zuiderdam, Holland America Line

Sails: April 8th, 2009 for 10 nights

Starting in Fort Lauderdale with stops in Half Moon Cay, Oranjestad, Willemstad, Enter Panama Canal Cristobal, Gatun Lake, Exit Panama Canal Cristobal, Colon, Puerto Limon

3 agencies I have inquired to are in the $1700 for a VF.

One agency is around $1000 for a VF and $870 for an H

Is the one agency offering the pricing including the port charges,fuel supplement, and taxes? The reason that I ask this is one cruise ta that I deal with from time to time only show the pricing for the cruise only and have the note stated that this cost don't include port,fuel and taxes. If this is the case, the cost of these items will add up to the cost of the other cruises. If the agency stated that $1000 for a VF include everything, then I would be very wary.

Just because the price sounds too good to be true, doesn't mean it is......I just saved tons by using a TA that offered great pricing. Also, not every cruise of the same length is the same price for the same category. For example, I just priced the Maasdam for the same length/date/cabin category as the Noordam and the Noordam is $700 more per person. I would do a good search with BBB and online before booking. Also, make sure there is not a cancellation fee. Some of them can be hefty. I once almost booked with an agency until I found out that they charged $75 to cancel. No thanks. Good luck!

His reply to my e-mail was:

I am sorry that price of 1987.93 is per person, if you do have a lower price quote please send me a copy we would be happy to beat it.

That was NOT what was in the quote. It was half that price per person.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he made a mistake on the quote.

Archived