Cabin Selection Opinions for Panama Canal Cruise

I went with aft, but my cruise is upcoming so I can't provide my experience. As for why I went with the aft, the aft balconies on Jewel or huge so I figured it was more bang for my buck and I'd be able to see both sides of the canal, albeit from further away than a hump.

We have booked the Jewel again for a Panama Canal Cruise for March 2010. We had 9576 on our cruise this past Feb and it is FANTASTIC. It is a hump cabin with an extra large balcony (including lounge chair).

This will be our 3rd PC cruise and the past two PC cruises we had balcony cabins as well - have never done an aft. The side balconies were great.

:) jmezmon....We're going to be on the same cruise! So who's going to decide to switch cabins first??!! I'd love the aft, but my husband would rather not. We have 2 cabins since we're travelling with family so I'd have to ask them before a making a final decision. The location of the "hump" cabins is excellent, but I always find myself finding a quiet spot at the aft to enjoy the view.

Get whichever you feel is best for you--during the canal passage, if you stay on your balcony, you will miss waaaay too much! You have to view the canal from all angles and deck levels to get the full effect!

I can tell you that the hallways to the aft cabins are VERY long--so if you tend to run back and forth to the cabin, you're in for alot of walking! The hump area is so convenient, and not at all noisy.

My Mom and I did this cruise last year. We had a aft cabin and it was so wonderful. We could see everything from both sides of the ship. At one point I looked up and saw a ton of people up at the windjammer crowded together to see this view. Here my mom and I were all by ourselves. We order breakfast out on the balcony and then a snack later on. Had a wonderful time and the view was out of this world.

Laura

:) jmezmon....We're going to be on the same cruise! So who's going to decide to switch cabins first??!! I'd love the aft, but my husband would rather not. We have 2 cabins since we're travelling with family so I'd have to ask them before a making a final decision. The location of the "hump" cabins is excellent, but I always find myself finding a quiet spot at the aft to enjoy the view.

We have never had an aft but everyone says to try it but we LOVE the hump or close to it!

We have a center hump for the ultimate alaska next may and can't wait and everyone suggests an aft for that too!

We will be on the vision in sept and will ask the LA what she thinks but it will be too late to change then.....we will probably keep what we have too!

Hi,

even if you do not have the 'right cabin' you can still view the Panama canal. The best view is from the 'helicopter landing deck area' right at vey front of the ship.

The pictures was not taken on RCI ship.

Wes

1607229489_PanamaCanal1.jpg.16630b1626fd7afb97ba789cb078b9ee.jpg

378248614_PanamaCanal.jpg.626728232a128a564c8690c7e0af5ea8.jpg

We took the Serenade thru the canal last October and had 1104. We loved it and were very happy that we picked that location. We stayed on the balcony all day and had a party with some friends while we went thru.

No...you will not be able to open up the balconies. We always try to get the hump balconies because my husband just can't do all that walking to get to them. The hump cabins are soooo convenient. The aft cabins will have a fabulous view, however and the balcony is a lot larger. The hump cabin view is not that bad, though. But as another poster said.....you do not want to stay on your balcony for the entire time. You need to move all over the ship to experience different vantage points. The Panama Canal cruise is one of the best!

We have 1104.

We've been so happy with aft cabins. The balconies are terrific. We've sailed aft on the Splendour and Legend but adore the Radiance class. Radiance class and aft - the best of both worlds! The Radiance class is not so large that the walk back and forth is difficult.

We have been fortunate to get a couple of lounge chars - anyone ever get a larger table?

We had hump on our recent Mariner cruise but I really found it no better than a port or starboard balcony.

Whichever you decide - have a wonderful cruise

M

I have to agree!!!!

GET OUT of your cabin/balcony. Watch the passage from every possible vantage point.

Otherwise, you get to come home and brag, "I saw only half of the Miraflores Locks in the Panama Canal"

One thing to do is get room service for lunch on your balcony instead of going to the dining room or WJ. That way you won't miss anything by being inside.

Otherwise, as others have said, get up on the open decks and walk around to get different vantage points. Don't just stay on your balcony as you will miss some things.

We've been through the full transit 3 times and saw something new each time.

We have booked the Jewel again for a Panama Canal Cruise for March 2010. We had 9576 on our cruise this past Feb and it is FANTASTIC. It is a hump cabin with an extra large balcony (including lounge chair).

This will be our 3rd PC cruise and the past two PC cruises we had balcony cabins as well - have never done an aft. The side balconies were great.

We just booked 9576 on the Jewel for our November 2009 cruise! We're glad to hear that it is fantastic-we're even more excited now!!

Archived