Holiday Inn Port of Miami - Downtown

I've seen good and bad reviews for this hotel across the street from the Bayside Market. Has anyone stayed there recently and what is your opinion of this property for a one night stay pre-cruise?

We stayed there 2 years ago and it was fine. Clean room, big enough for 5 of us...my only complaint was the morning we were leaving the service at breakfast restaurant was horrible...very slow...not enough help...everyone trying to get out to get on their ship :rolleyes:

But on the plus side...it's very convenient to everything...I would stay there again :D

We stayed there for one night pre-cruise this last April and it was ok. Our room was clean, everything worked, and the staff was pleasant. It is not a "destination resort" but it is good for a pre-cruise stay. I would stay there again for a pre-cruise night.

Being across from Bayside Market was nice.

We stayed here one night pre-cruise this past October. It was a very convenient location. We had dinner at the Hard Rock over in Bayside. We took a quick, 1 block walk to McDonald's for breakfast. The only complaint I had with the HI was the coffee was awful. ;)

The room we had was very large, we had 3 women in there with a roll away bed and there was plenty of space. The hotel was clean and staff was courteous.

I have a reservation to stay here again before my February 09 cruise.

I stayed there a few years ago for a 1 night pre-cruise. Overall, everything was fine. Our "group" had several rooms. Ours happened to be on the side facing Bayside Marketplace and the main street. The only problem was that the American Airlines Arena is just down the street and the night we were in town was the same night as the Paul McCartney concert at the arena. At the end of the concert, we had to endure several hours of non-stop car horn honking. Our friends had a room on the back side and didn't hear anything. My advice...either make sure you have a room on the back side or check the arena schedule in advance.

Hope that helps.

Soccer Mom

Have read many more positive than negative reviews about this hotel, however, we have never stayed there since we have been fortunate enough to get other hotels, with higher ratings, in the area through Priceline for less than HI charges. Marriott Biscayne Bay, Hilton Miami on Biscayne Blvd (formerly the Radisson) and Hyatt Regency Downtown Miami are among those we have successfully bid on and the most we have paid has been $115 a night (Hyatt). We have had successful bids of $60-$65 a night accepted by the Hilton. Location is one of the prime selling points of the HI but the Marriott and Hilton offer as good or better views of the port and the ships.:)

We stayed one night pre-cruise at this hotel in December of 2006 and would stay there again. Our rooms were nice and clean. We had views of our ship in the morning out our hotel window. It is convenient to walk across the street to the Bayside Marketplace. The breakfast buffet was yummy.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last January. We had no complaints. It is a decent hotel with a great location. It is a nice hotel for a pre- or post- cruise location. Right across the street from Bayside market and only 5 minutes from the port. We have some pictures of the hotel and the room on our photo album. Check it out. Miami and Holiday Inn pictures

Honestly, I didn't stay there the last time and I REGRETED it. :( I wanted to do Mandarin Oriental because of all of the high ratings. I wish I would have stayed at the HI. I spent alot of money to be really far from everything.

So convenience is the best thing about the HI.

I won't make that mistake again. If I am in Miami, I will be at the HI.

We stayed there one night pre-cruise also. The typical comments stand with us: noisy on the street, elevators slow in the morning, crowded lobby, breakfast buffet far too expensive for what you get, a general feeling of unsafety (sorry - it's how we felt), etc. It is convenient, but given the choice, we would not stay there again.

Stayed there in March of this year. It was what I expected which was clean, with nice staff. And they gave me the room with the view of the water which I asked for. :) No bells and whistles, but we were just there to sleep. We spent the evening at the Bayside Marketplace and loved it!! Bubba Gumps was great. To me it was worth it for the locale.

I've posted negatives elsewhere, won't take up the time to repeat the issues here, and our stay was 2 1/2 years ago I'll add as a matter of full disclosure and fairness (we would not stay again).

On the issue of breakfast, we have nothing good to say about the in the hotel breakfast, other than it was available early, and we are early risers. Our experience was that Bayside restaurants did not open up until 10 am, by which time we had long since had our breakfast. So while the convenience to bayside is true, if you want an early breakfast, we did not find Bayside to be an option for that. If they open earlier now, then this issue may be a moot point, but in case you are an early riser, I wanted to mention this.

regardless of where you stay--have a great cruise.

We stayed ther 1 night pre-cruise in 2006 and it was your basic Holiday Inn. The convenience factor is nice. For breakfast we just walked across to Bayside and ate at the Starbucks. Got our latte's and walked down by the water and looked at the boats.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat due to the convenience.

It is pricey but conveniant! Not a dump by any means, but no frills here.

Don't waste your money on the breakfast included plans, just walk across the street to bayside. LOTS of dinner and breakfast choices. Some of the resteraunts/cafes do open at 9am.

There is also a McDonalds about a half a block behind the hotel that opens 6 or 7.

I will say though, that yes the elevators are REALLY REALLY S L O W!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last January. We had no complaints. It is a decent hotel with a great location. It is a nice hotel for a pre- or post- cruise location. Right across the street from Bayside market and only 5 minutes from the port. We have some pictures of the hotel and the room on our photo album. Check it out. Miami and Holiday Inn pictures

We stayed there at the end of June. It was fine for our 1-night pre-cruise stay. We didn't have any problems, our room was on the 8th floor and looked out to the port so we woke up to see 2 Libertys in port (RCI and Carnival), front desk service also good, elevators weren't an issue. Walked to Bayside market for dinner and to McDonalds for breakfast. Agree with others that it's not the best area, esp. the McDonalds. I'd stay there again for a pre- or post-cruise night but if staying longer, would look elsewhere.

Katink

i agree with the "not the best neighborhood" thing. I don't think I'd walk to the McDonalds at night!

Bayside is a very HIGH patrolled area by both private security and local police, so is it safe probabally, but would I go there later at night, nope....:confused:

Currently, you can get the Hyatt DT or Hyatt Coral Gables for around $65 via Priceline...

We ended up on a busy weekend, and paid $85 for Coral Gables - well worth it, and a nice area to walk around - lots of restaurants etc - and it's *not* a Holiday Inn (which to me is a big feature).

As they had some open rooms, and we had 5 (only booked for 4), they even upgraded us to a suite for no cost...

Last November I went with a group of gals and the 6 of us stayed in a room pre-cruise. We weren't looking for anything special...flying in late and leaving early. We were surprised at how big the room was....had two in each bed and two in the sofa bed and we actually didn't feel crowded. It was great to wake up and see the ship right outside the window. It was extremely convenient and would definitely stay there again.

Archived