How soon before sail date do cruise lines begin cabin upgrades,etc.

catscruise

We once got a fantastic upgrade about 10 or 11 days before sailing.:D

Assuming you are going on a cabin guarantee, the assignments can be

made anywhere from shortly after booking to right before sailing. There

is no set formula.

......Assuming you are going on a cabin guarantee, the assignments can be made anywhere from shortly after booking to right before sailing. There is no set formula.

That has been our experience. We have usually seen them early on (at least a month) before sailing.

On our Aust / NZ cruise we got an upgrade earlly on.... then saw a significant price drop, which we took advantage of, .......and thus lost the upgrade (which did not come back). We were happier with the new price than the upgrade. :)

We also received our upgrade at check-in. To make a long story short there was someone else also assigned to the cabin. We went down to the Pursers desk and they said "Let the Cabin Steward straighten it out !" He said "If your key fits the door it's yours !" It did and it was ! :)

For our upcoming cruise in August, there were upgrades the week after final payment was due.

On the other hand we had one upgrade, some time ago, where we learned of it at check-in and our cabin number had been changed.

So the answer is .... sometime. :rolleyes:

Question--

We booked guaranteed oceanview GG for our October CP New England cruise. The cruise personalizer says our cabin is G on Emerald Deck, which seems worse or the same that we booked. What that our upgrade? Or can we possibly get another upgrade before we sail.

We booked through Cruises.com

Allen

Question--

We booked guaranteed oceanview GG for our October CP New England cruise. The cruise personalizer says our cabin is G on Emerald Deck, which seems worse or the same that we booked. What that our upgrade? Or can we possibly get another upgrade before we sail.

We booked through Cruises.com

Allen

Category G is one step UP from category GG. Yes, your assignment can change before sailing, but more often than not, this is the stateroom you will end up in.

Remember, upgrades aren't something that is guaranteed, they will only guarantee you the category you booked, AT the LEAST. So, always book a stateroom category you will accept as sometimes you will not receive one of those great upgrades you read about here on CC. You were upgraded one category, were you looking for something else? I mean, you received a one category upgrade, which is more than you booked and paid for wasn't it?????????????

You might want to have a quick look at the rules here on CC, as it is breaking them to post the name of the agency you booked your cruise with. ;)

sorry about being a rule breaker...that's what you get from newbie....

I am satisfied with our stateroom. Once before I did a guaranteed reservation and we were upgrade 4 categories. Guess I was spoiled. ;)

Allen

Actually, isn't it the other way round -- G is the lowest category, then GG, then F, then FF, then E, then EE? So if amx is correct about her catgories, s/he was downgraded. However, something to remember is that the deck plans on travel agency websites may or may not be completely accurate with respect to which cabins are which category -- so before rending your garments about a downgrade, check out the deck plans on Princess's site.

We booked a BF guarantee on the Star Princess on 10/31 and got an upgrade to a BA about a month ago. Not sure why so early, but I've heard of people getting upgrades earlier than that. Who knows?

Actually, isn't it the other way round -- G is the lowest category, then GG, then F, then FF, then E, then EE? So if amx is correct about her catgories, s/he was downgraded. However, something to remember is that the deck plans on travel agency websites may or may not be completely accurate with respect to which cabins are which category -- so before rending your garments about a downgrade, check out the deck plans on Princess's site.

You are correct, Category G is lower than GG. My mistake. Not sure how I mixed that one up. I am going to guess that the OP of that question meant they were assigned their GG category already. Won't know for sure until they check back here. In otherwords, they were probably assigned a stateroom in the category they booked, without an upgrade, which does happen occasionally. As once booked in a certain guarantee, they don't usually downgrade without contacting you and offering some sort of compensation for doing so.

We booked a BF guarantee on the Star Princess on 10/31 and got an upgrade to a BA about a month ago. Not sure why so early, but I've heard of people getting upgrades earlier than that. Who knows?

We once received an upgrade shortly after booking - months and months before the trip.

I really think it depends on how the category and sailing you booked is selling. They could shuffle at any time to free up certain categories.

I'm new to Princess, but not to guarantee rooms on other lines. Can someone explain how to book a guarantee with Princess? My TA says we have to choose a cabin and all rooms are like guarantees in that anyone could be upgraded. This doesn't sound right to me and I went to Princess' site and started to book online to see how the cabin categories come up and I don't see a guarantee choice. I usually book a guarantee directly with the cruiseline, but with Princess I think a TA can get a lower price. Can anyone try to explain Princess guarantees? Obviously you can book them as I see many threads about people waitng for cabin assignments. Thanks!

I'm new to Princess, but not to guarantee rooms on other lines. Can someone explain how to book a guarantee with Princess? My TA says we have to choose a cabin and all rooms are like guarantees in that anyone could be upgraded. This doesn't sound right to me and I went to Princess' site and started to book online to see how the cabin categories come up and I don't see a guarantee choice. I usually book a guarantee directly with the cruiseline, but with Princess I think a TA can get a lower price. Can anyone try to explain Princess guarantees? Obviously you can book them as I see many threads about people waitng for cabin assignments. Thanks!

Your TA is correct that anyone can receive an upgrade on Princess, even if you choose a specific stateroom. But yes, you can book ONLY a guarantee in a certain category if you choose and you are guaranteed a stateroom in AT LEAST that category, although sometimes you are assigned a better stateroom. Most guarantees end up being within the same category though. As if you book the lowest balcony gurarantee, you could end up in any of the higher up balcony staterooms, but you are only guranteed to be placed in the actual category you booked and not lower. Upgrades do happen, but the great upgrades aren't necessairly the norm anymore as they used to be. Occasionally, there is that wonderful upgrade you read about to the next class of stateroom (balcony to mini suite, mini suite to full suite), but they don't show up very often anymore.

Princess does not give you a lower price on guarantees though, like I have heard some other lines do.

As for booking through a TA instead of direct. If you find a good discount TA, they can usually save you some $$$$ as Princess still allows TA's to discount, unlike other lines.

Just remember one thing, ALL upgrades are not good upgrades. Upgrades are usually those staterooms that nobody else wanted to book. Of coarse some upgrades are wonderful, but you just can't count on them being that way. It's best to choose a stateroom category you can live with, even if that one is assigned and where you might end up in the end, and then hope for the best.

Best of luck on this!

Upgrades are usually those staterooms that nobody else wanted to book. Of coarse some upgrades are wonderful, but you just can't count on them being that way.

my last repositioning cruise in may, i was upgraded from ocean view to balcony-beautiful, looking out over the wake. before we even left port we spoke to a couple at the pool who'd been on the ship for a month, who told us some guy just tried to commit suicide by attempting to jump off his aft balcony. (he and his DW were removed at the previous port). icon11.gif wonder if that's the room i got?

my last repositioning cruise in may, i was upgraded from ocean view to balcony-beautiful, looking out over the wake. before we even left port we spoke to a couple at the pool who'd been on the ship for a month, who told us some guy just tried to commit suicide by attempting to jump off his aft balcony. (he and his DW were removed at the previous port). icon11.gif wonder if that's the room i got?

Oh OUCH! That does kind'a make you wonder doesn't it?

Archived