Shopping in New York where to stay

ttowers

:cool: I have two shopping days in New York next July. Is there a hotel near any of the shopping outlets ? Also want to do tourist part Statue of Liberty is it open to the top again? The last time I visited NY the Statue of Liberty was closed.

Thanks

The Statue of Liberty torch/crown is not open, although consideration is being given to do that per the attached article from 7/4/08.

http://www.gopachy.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=23532&page=1

Regarding hotels, I don't know what "shopping outlets" you are referring to, but New York hotels are plentiful (although expensive relative to most other parts of the country).

I am not a New Yorker, so feel free to ignore me, but I laughed when I read outlets. I remember walking along 5th avenue and going to Bergdorf Goodman (sp?) and thinking that shopping in NYC is not outlet shopping!

I am purely guessing, but I bet there are some outlets in Jersey!

jc

After reading the OP I took a deep breath and than re-read. We are talking about "next July" or nearly a year from now. It would be a bit premature to be thinking of NYC hotels. As to "shopping outlets" I also am confused (like the others) but would explain to the OP that NYC is really a city of many different neighborhoods, all of which have shopping. Depending on whether you want to shop in the Upper East Side, Mid Town, or in one of the trendy downtown areas (i.e. SOHO, East Village, etc) you could choose a hotel in the chosen neigborhood. Its also relatively easy to get around the city by using the subways or buses, so perhaps your hotel should be based on price rather than neighborhoon (have you looked at NYC hotel prices lately)?

Hank

Do you mean "sample sales?" Seventh Avenue between 42 and 34 sometimes hold sample sales but many are not announced. You walk down Seventh Ave and someone shoves a flyer in your hand.

Inexpensive hotels are very few. There are a few Comfort Inns. You have to check hotels.com or something like that.

Hi,

I am not aware of outlet shopping in the city. However there are outlets on Long Island and Upstate NY. Woodbury Commons outlet mall is approximately an hours drive from the city. Here is the web site for Woodbury: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

There is an outlet mall in Elizabeth NJ in an area where a lot of people book pre and post cruise stays - the web site is: http://www.jerseygardens.com/

This is very close to the port in Bayonne.

In Secaucus NJ there is also outlet shopping - approximately 10 minutes from Bayonne - depending on traffic

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/secaucusmap.html

Hope this info helps!

Just remembered...........

Years ago there was great shopping on Orchard Street. Don't know if it still exists - haven't been there in over 30 years. But maybe thats the area you're thinking of.........

Nope, you can get to the "pedastal" inside the statue but not to the top

http://www.nps.gov/stli/

And believe me, going through security a second time just wasn't worth it for us when we were there. You wait in line for the first round of security...wait in line to board the ferry...then have to wait in line on the other side too.

Now, you say "Is there a hotel near any of the shopping outlets"? Do you mean Outlet outlets? Or are you using "Outlets" in the generic sense of the word...meaning...is there a hotel near the Shopping?

Yes there are hotels everywhere. Use a booking site like Expedia to research the prices.

You can book a year out. The rates seemed to be a little better for me when I did that. We are staying on Broadway.

Hi. I just went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island last week. It was a great day. Make sure you book your ferry tickets in advance and get monument access if you want to go into the Statue. Security is high and kind of a pain, just like the previous poster stated, but it is worth it. The views from Lady Liberty are incredible. IMHO they will not be opening up above the pedastal anytime in the near future. I was lucky enough to climb to the crown as a child and it is not an easy walk up a spiraling staircase. As of now they have built a "ceiling" at the feet of the Lady so that there is no access, but the "ceiling" is glass, so you can look up her dress. :)

If you want to be in a central location in the city try booking the Marriott Marquis http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycmq-new-york-marriott-marquis/ or the NY Hilton http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/NYCNHHH-Hilton-New-York-New-York/index.do.

Both good, clean, centrally located hotels.

Good luck.

When we go to NYC, we usually stay at either the Westin or the Marriott Marquis, both in/near Times Square. The Westin also has nice views of the cruise ships docked at the Manhattan terminal.

Were you thinking of visiting one of the outlet malls? Before our cruise in November 07 we stayed a few night in the Days Inn North Bergen. We found this too far out for shopping although we did a 'round New York day trip which left from the hotel. We went to Jersey Gardens outlet mall but it was $45 each way by taxi.

In january 09 we will be staying very near Jersey Gardens for a few days before our cruise and then near Macy's for a few days after our cruise.

We found Jersey Gardens very good and if you look on their web site there is quite a lot of information about the mall and also links for hotels. I believe that there is a bus to Newark airport available from the mall.

Anne

Hi,

Im looking for a hotel near a Premier Shopping Mall. My ship leaves from Cape Liberty. Woodbury seems to be mentioned so Im going to need a hotel around that area. I will check out your website . Thanks for your help

Hi again,

Woodbury Commons is approximately an hour away from Cape Liberty Cruise Port. The Jersey Gardens Mall is much closer (about 10 minutes )and there are hotels located there. Plus its right near Newark Airport if you're flying into the area.

Better than outlet malls - Century 21 in downtown Manhattan. Macy's in Manhattan can't be beat (an experience like no other Macy's). There is great shopping in Manhattan whereas you don't have to take a trip to an outlet mall.

As for Orchard Street, it has changed quite a bit. It has become very trendy, many of the great discount shops are not there anymore. Of course there's still Economy Candy, although I doubt that's the type of shopping anyone here is talking about. :D

yes there is outlet shopping in New York but its not outlet shopping at Malls. there is the lower east side(always a bargain).mentioned above as Orchard Street its a walking Mall from store to store. There is also 13th Avenue in Brooklyn where the Hasidim shop but don't go on Saturday(most stores are closed)....again its discount shopping.

Macys' of course isn't outlet shopping BUT there is almost always a sale and out of towners can get a pass for 13% off almost everything including sale items from the courtesy desk on the second floor. There is Century 21 There is Syms for men's clothing which is a discounter. There is a discount store on 7th Avenue and 16th street(whose name I forget cause I never shop there)....

Lord and Taylor has good sales sometimes.(get a copy of the Daily news and see if they have a sale with coupons)....

There is knock off shopping on Canal Street and Broadway between canal and Houston Streets....all of these are easily accessible by Subway...

and in NY there is no sales tax for clothing under $110(per item not in total)..

I shop at Jersey Gardens occassionally and rarely at Woodburry Commons(its too far and way too crowded for me on Weekends)...

Woodbury Commons has some true outlets that are no place else(Northface for one)....

I am not a New Yorker, so feel free to ignore me, but I laughed when I read outlets. I remember walking along 5th avenue and going to Bergdorf Goodman (sp?) and thinking that shopping in NYC is not outlet shopping!

I am purely guessing, but I bet there are some outlets in Jersey!

jc

Just so people know, there is actually a Kmart down the block from Macy's. next to the entrance to the LIRR. :) So if you need stuff cheap, stop in there.

There is a discount store on 7th Avenue and 16th street(whose name I forget cause I never shop there)....

Loehmans. There's also Filene's and TJ Max at 6th and 19th. And Daffy's at 18th and 5th.

Archived