My Time Dining - Waitlisted, Not Cleared

Just wanted to let those that are interested in signing up for My Time Dining on board know of our recent experience.

On the July 16th, 12nt Venice sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas, we went to the dining room to sign up for MTD as soon as we got on board (~ 4:15pm). They had already 'closed' for the day for dining changes (a bit early I think, this was a 7pm sailing). We were told by those in the dining room to come back as soon as they opened for dinner that night and sign up then (6:30pm).

We returned just prior to that time, stood in line, and realized they were turning people away that were trying to switch from standard dining to MTD. We were added to the wait list ~12 names down from the top. Returned 2 hours later to inquire on status, and the waitlist had grown to over a full page. There were people waiting in the lobby to be seated at that time. The person we talked to circled our name and said he would get back to us by tomorrow's dinner service one way or the other. We never heard from him.

We did called again the next day well after the start of dinner service and were told by another party that we could not be added to MTD.

So, . . . for this sailing/itinerary at least, it seams to be a very popular option. If you desire to use MTD, you may wish to sign up in advance. Too bad, this would have been the perfect choice for us for this cruise. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone on MTD during this cruise, . . . it would have been interesting to know if they had issues getting a table given the response and desired signups.

Interesting post. I'm not asking to combative, but why didn't you sign up for My Time Dining in advance? I was under the impression that the folks on sailings with that option got a chance to sign up in advance and change (if necessary) from fixed seating? (When we cruised on Freedom last year we got a call ahead of time offering this option).

Interesting post. I'm not asking to combative' date=' but why didn't you sign up for My Time Dining in advance? I was under the impression that the folks on sailings with that option got a chance to sign up in advance and change (if necessary) from fixed seating? (When we cruised on Freedom last year we got a call ahead of time offering this option).[/quote']

No worries, . . . there are a couple of simple reasons.

First - We had on board credit and would have preferred to have the gratuities billed to the on board account versus a large payment in advance (12 day cruise).

Second - The information I received from RCI said we would be able to sign up on board on Day 1.

Given no one on Cruise Critic had yet experienced being turned away on board during embarkation, . . . we felt this was the best option for us.

A side opinion - I do believe that as this service continues to evolve, RCI needs to better estimate demand sailing to sailing. Further, once there, it seams reasonable to me they could then make small adjustments and accommodate all requests after Day 1 along with the other dining change requests. My impression from listening to the head waiters on that first seating Day 1 was that they were limited to the tables assigned to MTD and could not change this.

Interesting. This is kind of the reverse of the situation at Princess, where there is often a wait list for people of want traditional, fixed-time dining, and everyone wonders why the cruise line can't just assign the necessary number of tables to each type of dining.

I think that over time there must be a move towards more MTD tables offered on the European itineraries, which have more ports and more long shore excursions. More pax will want to eat when they feel like it vs. stressing about getting back to the ship in time to change for dinner.

If you sign up and change from traditional dining to my time dining while on board the ship, do they charge your pre-paid gratuities right then and there? Or you only have to pay in full/in advance if you pre-book MTD?

We just returned from the Freedom July 13 sailing.

I booked the trip with RCCL in October 2007 so that I would be sure to get second seating dining.

The entire time my reservation showed second seating and our Sea Pass showed second seating, but no dining room or table assignment. I didn't notice the missing info until about 6:30 pm on boarding day.

I immediately went to one of the dining rooms for clarification. I was directed to a dining room on another floor. At that dining room, I was sent to the third dining room. The third dining room sent me back to the first one.

By this time I was tired from climbing stairs and getting more pi$$ed off by the minute. I finally cornered the head waiter and he acted like it was MY FAULT, but seated us anyway at a dirty table. They removed the dirty dishes and covered a large stain on the table with a plate.

He told us we would get notification the next day about our request to "change" our dining preference??????

Late the next afternoon we got a preprinted note from the maître d' that said he could not accommodate our request to change our seating. Handwritten was the note "Come anytime before 7:00." It did not say where to come, just come before 7:00.

The following night we went back, but to a different dining room than the first night. They acted like we were idiots, then looked up our table assignment. It was the same dining room and table we were at the first night.

There was a couple with their 2 year old daughter (who turned out to be an absolute angel) at the table but they had almost finished by the time we were seated at 7:00.

Needless to say, we were not happy about the dining arrangement, but stuck it out. We only saw the other couple and their daughter once more, they ate very early because of the little one.

Next time I'll make sure the dining assignment is correct as soon as I set foot on the ship and raise a bigger stink if I get the shaft again.

If you sign up and change from traditional dining to my time dining while on board the ship, do they charge your pre-paid gratuities right then and there? Or you only have to pay in full/in advance if you pre-book MTD?

My understanding is if you change to MTD on board, your on board account is charged when the change takes place. If you select this option prior to sailing, you are are charged right way and need to provide payment in advance.

Interesting post. I'm not asking to combative' date=' but why didn't you sign up for My Time Dining in advance? I was under the impression that the folks on sailings with that option got a chance to sign up in advance and change (if necessary) from fixed seating? (When we cruised on Freedom last year we got a call ahead of time offering this option).[/quote']

We sailed on Freedom in May 2008, and I booked the cruise in April 2007. At the time I booked, I only had two options - early or late seating. RCI never contacted me by phone or email to let me know that MTD was an option. The first time I heard it was being offered on our sailing was when we got onboard. There was no problem signing up for it, however. Yet again, it sounds like RIC's communication skills need improvement. :rolleyes:

We sailed on Freedom in May 2008, and I booked the cruise in April 2007. At the time I booked, I only had two options - early or late seating. RCI never contacted me by phone or email to let me know that MTD was an option. The first time I heard it was being offered on our sailing was when we got onboard. There was no problem signing up for it, however. Yet again, it sounds like RIC's communication skills need improvement. :rolleyes:

Did you book directly or through a travel agent?

Just hope that what happened to the OP doesn't happen to you. ;)

couldn't possibly since I have a reserved seating and would be interested in whether or not they could switch me to MTD - either a yes or no reply, but I still have my original traditional dining table..this is sounding like a pretty good plan!

Just wanted to let those that are interested in signing up for My Time Dining on board know of our recent experience.

On the July 16th, 12nt Venice sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas, we went to the dining room to sign up for MTD as soon as we got on board (~ 4:15pm). They had already 'closed' for the day for dining changes (a bit early I think, this was a 7pm sailing). We were told by those in the dining room to come back as soon as they opened for dinner that night and sign up then (6:30pm).

We returned just prior to that time, stood in line, and realized they were turning people away that were trying to switch from standard dining to MTD. We were added to the wait list ~12 names down from the top. Returned 2 hours later to inquire on status, and the waitlist had grown to over a full page. There were people waiting in the lobby to be seated at that time. The person we talked to circled our name and said he would get back to us by tomorrow's dinner service one way or the other. We never heard from him.

We did called again the next day well after the start of dinner service and were told by another party that we could not be added to MTD.

So, . . . for this sailing/itinerary at least, it seams to be a very popular option. If you desire to use MTD, you may wish to sign up in advance. Too bad, this would have been the perfect choice for us for this cruise. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone on MTD during this cruise, . . . it would have been interesting to know if they had issues getting a table given the response and desired signups.

Without knowing how many tables were allocated to it, it's kind of hard to say whether it was a very popular option. All you can really say is that demand exceeded supply.

Without knowing how many tables were allocated to it, it's kind of hard to say whether it was a very popular option.

From every post I've read about My Time Dining, generally half a floor of the dining room is allocated to MTD. The fact that the OP tried to switch to MTD once onboard but was denied due to the fact that they were at capacity suggests that it was very popular for that particular cruise. Half a floor of the dining room is a lot of tables, especially given the fact that not everyone is eating at the same time.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. I just switched from Main seating to MTD for our Serenade cruise in almost a week. Didn't want to stress about whether or not we'd be able to get a table for two, and now I won't have to!

I am having the same situation with MTD. I requested it thru my travel agency over a month ago, and prepaid my gratituties at the same time. I called my agent several days ago as I am still listed for 1st seating and wondered why I hadnt been changed to MTD. He told me it is being wait-listed at this time. I certainly dont understand that, as we always had anytime dining on Princess and only the set seatings were ever waitlisted. Cant imagine that this new option has taken off so quickly that it is already waitlisted with the cruise a month away. Will just have to keep after it as it is a very unusual situation. From the previous posts it does seem that they need to get their act together before offering it.

I am having the same situation with MTD. I requested it thru my travel agency over a month ago, and prepaid my gratituties at the same time. I called my agent several days ago as I am still listed for 1st seating and wondered why I hadnt been changed to MTD. He told me it is being wait-listed at this time. I certainly dont understand that, as we always had anytime dining on Princess and only the set seatings were ever waitlisted. Cant imagine that this new option has taken off so quickly that it is already waitlisted with the cruise a month away. Will just have to keep after it as it is a very unusual situation. From the previous posts it does seem that they need to get their act together before offering it.

There is limited seating for this option. If most pax insist on eating at 7pm it stands to reason that there will be a waitlist for that option.

If you choose 7 pm and aren't seated until RCI has the opening to seat you it sort of negates the idea of MTD. It will be RCI time dining.

Enjoy.:)

We just returned from the Freedom July 13 sailing.

I booked the trip with RCCL in October 2007 so that I would be sure to get second seating dining.

The entire time my reservation showed second seating and our Sea Pass showed second seating, but no dining room or table assignment. I didn't notice the missing info until about 6:30 pm on boarding day.

I immediately went to one of the dining rooms for clarification. I was directed to a dining room on another floor. At that dining room, I was sent to the third dining room. The third dining room sent me back to the first one.

By this time I was tired from climbing stairs and getting more pi$$ed off by the minute. I finally cornered the head waiter and he acted like it was MY FAULT, but seated us anyway at a dirty table. They removed the dirty dishes and covered a large stain on the table with a plate.

He told us we would get notification the next day about our request to "change" our dining preference??????

Late the next afternoon we got a preprinted note from the maître d' that said he could not accommodate our request to change our seating. Handwritten was the note "Come anytime before 7:00." It did not say where to come, just come before 7:00. This says you were in MTD

The following night we went back, but to a different dining room than the first night. They acted like we were idiots, then looked up our table assignment. It was the same dining room and table we were at the first night.

There was a couple with their 2 year old daughter (who turned out to be an absolute angel) at the table but they had almost finished by the time we were seated at 7:00.

Needless to say, we were not happy about the dining arrangement, but stuck it out. We only saw the other couple and their daughter once more, they ate very early because of the little one.

Next time I'll make sure the dining assignment is correct as soon as I set foot on the ship and raise a bigger stink if I get the shaft again.

Your post leaves out a lot of information but it appears from their comments to you that they were going on the assumption that you wished to chenge to MTD which they did. Based on the fact that you have 6 posts here I don't think you were aware of what they were doing and the implication of what they were saying to you.

My questions -

1. Did they shift you to MTD or Early Seating?

2. What time did Early Seating start?

3. Were the gratuities added as a prepaid charge to your seapass account after the first night or did you tip at the end of the trip?

4. If they had shifted you to Early, why didn't you catch on, since the family with the kid always finished before you showed up? This would have clued me in and we would have asked the waiter what time the seating started.

If you are still around could you answer these questions? This is a new concept for RCI and we could try to figure out what the DR staff was doing and why?

As an FYI, invoices do not show MTD when you sign up or switch. I asked the person at the MTD desk at RCI about this and he stated that it was in the system but would not show on the invoice(this is booked directly through RCI). I have called back to confirm and we are listed for MTD. If this catches on and becomes more popular which I think that it will, you will see RCI dedicate more space as needed.

As an FYI, invoices do not show MTD when you sign up or switch. I asked the person at the MTD desk at RCI about this and he stated that it was in the system but would not show on the invoice(this is booked directly through RCI). I have called back to confirm and we are listed for MTD. If this catches on and becomes more popular which I think that it will, you will see RCI dedicate more space as needed.

I just switched to MTD today, and printed out my new Confirmation Invoice. It reflects the Prepaid Gratuities, and then under "Special Services" it says "Open Seating Confirmed".

I just switched to MTD today, and printed out my new Confirmation Invoice. It reflects the Prepaid Gratuities, and then under "Special Services" it says "Open Seating Confirmed".

Then RCI must have finally updated their system as my invoice still shows second seating but this was done months ago.

Your post leaves out a lot of information but it appears from their comments to you that they were going on the assumption that you wished to chenge to MTD which they did. Based on the fact that you have 6 posts here I don't think you were aware of what they were doing and the implication of what they were saying to you.

My questions -

3. Were the gratuities added as a prepaid charge to your seapass account after the first night or did you tip at the end of the trip?

4. If they had shifted you to Early, why didn't you catch on, since the family with the kid always finished before you showed up? This would have clued me in and we would have asked the waiter what time the seating started.

If you are still around could you answer these questions? This is a new concept for RCI and we could try to figure out what the DR staff was doing and why?

I wondered how long it would take for someone to attack me due to the fact that I only have 6 posts:).

A little background--I have been a member of Cruise Critic for almost a year, a reader for about 3 years. The main reason I don't post often is that I have seen the carnage imposed on "newbies" on these boards.

I can't imagine what additional information you might need to understand what happened to me, but I would be happy to answer your questions.

I can only assume they consider our dining time MTD. The note I got only said "Come anytime before 7:00." It never occurred to me to demand a name for it.

I have no clue, since I had no reason to ask.

Why would this make any difference?

Just because the other family at the table chose to come extremely early, that doesn't mean that I had to, my instructions were "anytime before 7:00."

They were made very aware of my preferred dining time and my displeasure with being forced into dining early. Nobody even attempted to explain why I was changed other than they didn't have room for us in the Late Seating.

Now, my question for you is, why are you being so hateful and sarcastic to me? What in the world did I say in my post that offended you?

I wondered how long it would take for someone to attack me due to the fact that I only have 6 posts:).

A little background--I have been a member of Cruise Critic for almost a year, a reader for about 3 years. The main reason I don't post often is that I have seen the carnage imposed on "newbies" on these boards.

I can't imagine what additional information you might need to understand what happened to me, but I would be happy to answer your questions.

I can only assume they consider our dining time MTD. The note I got only said "Come anytime before 7:00." It never occurred to me to demand a name for it.

I have no clue, since I had no reason to ask.

Why would this make any difference?

Just because the other family at the table chose to come extremely early, that doesn't mean that I had to, my instructions were "anytime before 7:00."

They were made very aware of my preferred dining time and my displeasure with being forced into dining early. Nobody even attempted to explain why I was changed other than they didn't have room for us in the Late Seating.

Now, my question for you is, why are you being so hateful and sarcastic to me? What in the world did I say in my post that offended you?

GarrettsNana, The Big Booper wasn't attacking you. He asked the questions that he did because he wanted to fully understand your situation.

Your responses reflect that YOU did not understand your situation.

You had requested Late Seating, but unfortunately were shunted off to Main Seating.

When you are assigned to the same table each night, that is traditional fixed dining. There are two seatings: (generally) 6 P.M. and 8:30 P.M. If you were showing up at 7 P.M., of course the family with the baby was finished. They had come at the assigned time of 6 P.M. I don't know how long your dinners were, but arriving at 7 for a 6 seating REALLY throws off the waitstaff and the kitchen staff. BIG time.

He asked about your gratuities because this is involved with My Time Dining.

Please answer that now: were your entire gratuities placed on your SeaPass account immediately after the second night's dinner? (if you were two people, 2 x $9.75 x 7 = $136.50)

If not, you were NOT in "My Time Dining", which allows you to eat at any time at any size table that you wish.

Did a Maitre D' greet you each evening as you arrived in the dining room, requesting whether you wished to be seated with just your party, or with others?

If not, you were assigned to Main Seating.

See?

No one was belittling you. People are trying to help you understand what happened to you.

Should they have honored your request for Second Seating? Of course.

But you should have been able to either figure out your situation, or ask someone.

Now that you have come here, after the fact, we are trying to help.

GarrettsNana, The Big Booper wasn't attacking you. He asked the questions that he did because he wanted to fully understand your situation.

You had requested Late Seating, but unfortunately were shunted off to Main Seating.

When you are assigned to the same table each night, that is traditional fixed dining. There are two seatings: (generally) 6 P.M. and 8:30 P.M. If you were showing up at 7 P.M., of course the family with the baby was finished. They had come at the assigned time of 6 P.M. I don't know how long your dinners were, but arriving at 7 for a 6 seating REALLY throws off the waitstaff and the kitchen staff. BIG time.

He asked about your gratuities because this is involved with My Time Dining.

Please answer that now: were your entire gratuities placed on your SeaPass account immediately after the second night's dinner? (if you were two people, 2 x $9.75 x 7 = $136.50)

If not, you were NOT in "My Time Dining", which allows you to eat at any time at any size table that you wish.

Did a Maitre D' greet you each evening as you arrived in the dining room, requesting whether you wished to be seated with just your party, or with others?

If not, you were assigned to Main Seating.

See?

No one was belittling you. People are trying to help you understand what happened to you.

But you should have been able to either figure out your situation, or ask someone.

Thank you Carol.

The gratuities question was the key, of course. Her other 5 posts were to the roll call area so she had never been to the main board here and wasn't aware of the stipulations for MTD and conditions of the test being implemented by the line. There were thousands of posts here talking about this issue for the last year.

No I DID NOT understand my situation, and when I tried to find out, I was ignored.

Why did they not tell me this when I asked? They treated me like I was a nuisance every time I tried to ask a question.

The gratuities were not added after the second night's dinner. How would I have known this was an indication of which dining time I was assigned to?

No he did not. Again, how would I have known at the time that this was an indication of which dining time I was assigned to?

Since his second sentence was "Based on the fact that you have 6 posts here I don't think you were aware of what they were doing and the implication of what they were saying to you," I felt it was an attack. Just because I have only posted 6 times does not mean that I've never cruised before.

I tried to ask, they just shrugged their shoulders and turned away. Any further attempt to get an explanation would have caused an ugly scene in front of other passengers and that is not the way I conduct myself.

There is really nothing to help me with, I learned the hard way. I originally posted in an attempt to educate anyone else that might face a similar situation.

We had an absolutely wonderful cruise other than the screwed up dining assignment. I'm not going to let that keep me from cruising RCCL again, but you can bet that I'll never post my experiences again.

Archived