CVP or TA?

What success have you had using a CVP as opposed to a TA? Were you satisfied with their patience and knowledge or was it just like calling any other large call center? Thanks in advance.

I generally use a CVP. I personally prefer them to TA's. However, I have traveled a lot. I know what I am going to book, and virtually have no questions. I book my own air. Sometimes, I'll book with a TA if they have group space at a good deal. The only problem is that you have to go through the TA for everything (although if you push hard enough, you can get RCI to make virtually any change).

What success have you had using a CVP as opposed to a TA? Were you satisfied with their patience and knowledge or was it just like calling any other large call center? Thanks in advance.

I recently used the CVP for the first time - and I was pleasantly surprised.

Once I had made contact with RC - I had the name and extension of a particular person - called back and spoke to that person every time. She was very knowledgable, had a complete inventory of what cabins were available, knew all the regulations (for example how close the cabin of 2 19 year olds needed to be to the parents cabin).

I was pleased to ask all my questions directly - and not have to go through an agent. For example - ask the TA a question - who then asks RC - then gets back to me with the answer.

Now - I am also looking into transferring my booking to a TA just before final payment in order to receive some OBC. :D

We cruise a lot and much prefer to use CVP and deal directly with the cruise line, but that is because we know the ships, know what we want, when we want to go etc. A newbie might benefit from a TA who is knowledgable, but from what I read on these boards, many of the on-line TAs are no more than order takers with not much, if any, knowledge of the ships and cruise line policies. We prefer not to have a TA as middleman - like someone posted above - you have to ask TA, who has to contact cruise line and then get back to you.

I have done my planning using the web site to research out RCCL's sailings and new destinations. Then I convert my onboard next sail reservation into a real cruise. I call a CVP and reserve the cabin based on what the CVP tells me is open. I then diligently check, almost daily, for any pricing changes. I have even discovered how to ask for a specific table in the dining room. Sometimes it works and other times not. We live in Florida so we drive to the ports almost all the time. The exception was our Mediteranean cruise and we did custom air. We almost missed the ship due to a comedy of errors between Delta and Air France. As it turned out Air France misplaced half our luggage and we didn't receive it until 3 days later. The onboard staff was very helpful following up with the airline. I have never felt like I needed a T/A until I booked an Alaska cruise for September 2009 and wanted air included in my reservation. I was taken totally by surprise that the cruise line put me on a wait list for air. I was told that all the spots slotted for Tampa were gone. I mean,really, how many people could have booked 16 months out for an Alaska sailing that are flying from Tampa? So rather than worry about it daily I figured a T/A could really help. After all the airlines don't have schedules or pricing that far out yet. As long as I was at it I figured why not check what perks might be available for my bookings and wound up with ppd gratuities for both sailings.

Most of RCCL's berths are filled by T/A's and they are set up to work that way so good for everyone involved.

I prefer my TA because I can let him know what I need, he will get it done and is there for me on the weekend if I need him...so far RCCL has been great so never had to call him in a pinch.

There are several excellent TAs who chat here on CC as well...I am not a TA but know of several here who certainly would offer a higher level of service to their clients than a CVP...

I prefer my TA because I can let him know what I need, he will get it done and is there for me on the weekend if I need him...so far RCCL has been great so never had to call him in a pinch.

There are several excellent TAs who chat here on CC as well...I am not a TA but know of several here who certainly would offer a higher level of service to their clients than a CVP...

What do you mean by a higher level of service? OBC, bottle of wine, Christmas card???? If not that, then what? What does a TA do that a CVP doesn't or can't??

Peter:rolleyes:

I love my Royal Caribbean CVP. She knows her stuff, and does just about anything that I ask. She has helped me "work around" some first stage "no"s and get to "yes". :)

Carol - Does this mean you have found a replacement for George? :)

Archived