Can we see the Statue of Liberty from EOS?

For anyone who has ever taken the EOS out of Cape Liberty Cruise Port...we are trying to plan our visit and wonder if it is necessary to visit Liberty Island or will we actually pass the Statue of Liberty when we head out towards Canada? I can't seem to get a really clear answer elsewhere so we figure we'd ask the experts!

Thanks!

Justin and Kristine

While the Explorer does go by the Statue of Liberty, it is not right next to it. Even with a good zoom on the camera its still pretty small when taking pictures. A while back someone had posted pics on the All Things Explorer Thread. Unfortunately it was hazy the day we left and mine didn't come out well at all. Could barely see anything in the picture except for the haze. If you really want to see the Statue of Liberty up close I would visit separately.

While the Explorer does go by the Statue of Liberty, it is not right next to it. Even with a good zoom on the camera its still pretty small when taking pictures. A while back someone had posted pics on the All Things Explorer Thread. Unfortunately it was hazy the day we left and mine didn't come out well at all. Could barely see anything in the picture except for the haze. If you really want to see the Statue of Liberty up close I would visit separately.

Very well put. This is my experience too.

Definitely visit! You will experience much more. Having said that, yes, you will pass by the Statue. How close is a matter of opinion, but we have always gotten an excellent view.

Not to argue, but you do not pass by the statue when sailing from Bayonne.

Yes, you do pass the Statue. We were on the EOS 3 x/s since Jan. and saw it all three times. It is on the left. From the ship it looks about 2 inches tall. But be sure to look on the right and there is an amazing tribute sculpture dedicate to 9ll.

Yes, you do pass the Statue. We were on the EOS 3 x/s since Jan. and saw it all three times. It is on the left. From the ship it looks about 2 inches tall. But be sure to look on the right and there is an amazing tribute sculpture dedicate to 9ll.

I guess we just have different definitions of "pass by" then! :)

While in port, you will be looking through a freight yard...see my avatar. When pulling out of port, there is a better view and with a good zoom you might get a decent shot...still not as good as seeing it in person if you have the time.

Not to argue, but you do not pass by the statue when sailing from Bayonne.

Exactly right! If you are sailing out of Cape Liberty, you do not "pass" the statue. It is situated out in the harbour, some distance from Cape Liberty and you can see it from Explorer OTS, assuming its a clear day.

I believe ships departing from New York City piers sail by the statue.

This past holiday we were on one of the cruises that came in at 11:30 a.m. The ship turned around in the harbor and we got fabulous views of the Statue of Liberty. At one point it looked like we were going to dock there.

I am wondering if swinging around in the harbor is standard and if you get those same views at 6 in the morning for a 7 a.m. dock (assuming it is a time of year when it is light that early).

On the way out, it was pouring rain, so there was really no view of anything. We partied with our roll call friends.

We also sailed out of Bayonne on the Constellation and I don't remember a good view of the Statue.

You can access the Statue of Liberty from a ferry at Liberty State Park in NJ (lots of parking) that takes you to Ellis Island which has been turned into a museum of immigration. From there you take another ferry to the Statue of Liberty. The Statue has a museum in its base. I think you can get directly back to NJ from there (its been a few years). I assume there is a ferry that does the same thing from lower Manhattan. I would check their website. I think this might be a great day trip for people who drive in and stay overnight in NJ.

Archived