RCI Explorer - still $10.00 pashmina?

We have been on board several Royal Caribbean ships and on each one, have seen the lovely pashminas for $10.00 in the gift shops. Has anyone been on Explorer lately and can confirm they still sell them? Going next month, and will purchase my own here if they no longer sell them on board.

Many thanks.

Karen

Not to hijack the thread but since we're talking pashmina. I would love one but want a nice one. So Jane since you live and work in the fashion world can you tell us a reputable website where I can buy one? Buying on the web is my only option. Sad but true but I live no where near shopping. And I don't get to shopping areas often enough.

Thanks if you can help me out.

Kelly

If Jane doesn't answer you with reputable places to buy real pashmina shawls (pashmina is the material - a cashmere wool) or wraps, I'll point you to Overstock.com. They do say if it is "real" pashmina or faux pashmina. I haven't bought any pashmina items from the "O", but I've bought a watch and a men's cashmere scarf. Both were good quality, and the service from the "O" was fine.

Hi Kelly,

Pashmina is a blend of cashmere and silk, usually 70/30 ratio. And as someone else pointed out, it's a fabric, not an item. Just like there are silk shawls, cotton shawls, velvet shawls, there are pashmina shawls. Pashmina is usually associated w/ scarves and shawls because the nature of the fabric, makes it almost useless for anything else. It simply wouldn't hold up as a jacket, or other item of clothing that would have wear and tear on the seams.

So the cruiselines, and others often sell shawls in bright colors that resemble the pashmina ones. If that makes you happy, buy one. Just don't think you're getting cashmere and silk. I personally think the real deal is more elegant looking and I know it's warmer in the chilly dining rooms, and the ones I have from 12 years ago are still as good as new.

Pashmina's have lost their popularity, and so prices have come down from what they were 5 years ago. Personally, I've been wearing them for about 15 years and hated when they became a "trend" because I just think of them as practical. Not "in" or "out"...just "is" :)

These online sites look good, but I don't have personal experience, as I've bought mine in stores in the US and Europe.

http://www.rockymountainemporium.com/rme-pashmina.html

http://www.thepashminastore.com/

Hi Kelly,

Pashmina is a blend of cashmere and silk, usually 70/30 ratio. And as someone else pointed out, it's a fabric, not an item. Just like there are silk shawls, cotton shawls, velvet shawls, there are pashmina shawls. Pashmina is usually associated w/ scarves and shawls because the nature of the fabric, makes it almost useless for anything else. It simply wouldn't hold up as a jacket, or other item of clothing that would have wear and tear on the seams.

So the cruiselines, and others often sell shawls in bright colors that resemble the pashmina ones. If that makes you happy, buy one. Just don't think you're getting cashmere and silk. I personally think the real deal is more elegant looking and I know it's warmer in the chilly dining rooms, and the ones I have from 12 years ago are still as good as new.

Pashmina's have lost their popularity, and so prices have come down from what they were 5 years ago. Personally, I've been wearing them for about 15 years and hated when they became a "trend" because I just think of them as practical. Not "in" or "out"...just "is" :)

These online sites look good, but I don't have personal experience, as I've bought mine in stores in the US and Europe.

People should say FAUX pashmina shawls I guess. Recentlly, I was watching shop NBC and they were selling what the host called "4 pashmina shawls" for $50. They had to be acrylic. I forget all the colors, I think you would get a black, a gray, an ivory and a red one. My thought was since I knew they were faux and I did not want all of those colors, I would do better to wait and buy what I wanted on my next cruise.

I have a true pashmina shawl in black and I have a cashmere, silk and nylon blend (25% nylon so still not bad) shawl in aqua. Both I found on clearance for around $40 each at Marshalls. Even in that discount store, they were close to $100 at their original price.

The acrylic shawls are fine for women before menopause who are terribly cold natured the way my duaghter is. I can't wear them as I become hot too quickly. I am constantly taking them off and then replacing them on my shoulders when I become cold again. My true pashmina stays on!

Hi Kelly,

Hi Jane,

You are absolutely right. I am always amazed when people tell me they bought a pashmina wrap for $10, $15 or $20. Cashmere simply isn't that cheap.

I have personally bought from The Pashmina Store (see URL above), and have had very good experiences. The fabric is thick, soft and the colours are very vibrant. They also have a great selection of colours and sizes. My personal preference is the 70/30 blend in size 28"x80" (they call it a wrap). Big enough to feel comfortably wrapped, but not huge like a blanket.

Cheers,

Persephone

P.S. I even hand-washed mine in lukewarm water and very gentle detergent, and they look just as beautiful as they did before.

Thanks Jane for the sites and to Persephone for letting me know that you have used one of them.

I want one for the practical part of it. Planes are often chilly and I don't like the blankets they give out. I love cashmere! The feeling is so wonderful!

Kelly

I just bought one on the Carnival Fantasy. It was $10 and advertised as

"pushima like". I have to say I thought it looked great considering I will probably only wear on a cruise. It was a really nice turquoise color but they had them in lots of colors.

I just bought one on the Carnival Fantasy. It was $10 and advertised as "pushima like". I have to say I thought it looked great considering I will probably only wear on a cruise. It was a really nice turquoise color but they had them in lots of colors.

Sounds great. That's exactly what I meant - of course, it wouldn't be "the real thing". I only wanted something to throw over my shoulders on chilly evenings. :)

of the $10 shawls in various colors. I use them all the time - at the movies, casual restaurants, airplanes, ballparks, long trips in the car. I don't worry about those getting a little soiled, just throw them in the wash when needed.

I also have some more expensive ones, a few "real" pashminas ... that I wear when I'm going a little more dressed up.

Love them all!!

Persephone,

I also have handwashed mine with success.

I don't save them for dressing up. I just use them.

They're lightweight and fold pretty flat and I usually have one in my handbag when I go to the movies, a restaurant or an airplane.

As I said, some of them are 15 years old. I don't treat them delicately, and they all still look great.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Pashmina store...in case I've missed a color! :)

Persephone,

I also have handwashed mine with success.

I don't save them for dressing up. I just use them.

They're lightweight and fold pretty flat and I usually have one in my handbag when I go to the movies, a restaurant or an airplane.

As I said, some of them are 15 years old. I don't treat them delicately, and they all still look great.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Pashmina store...in case I've missed a color! :)

I wear mine to many places, too. They are warm, snuggly and look fantastic. I have two blue ones (light blue and medium blue), one each in ivory, gold, peach, green, black, brown and a warm shade of pink. Several of mine are a few years old, and they all wear well.

Wow you ladies have found some pretty cheap cashmere wraps. All mine were in the range of $400.-800. Must have a further look at those sites.

Maybe yours is all cashmere and not pashmina. One of my shawls is cashmere and cost more in the $400. range and is thicker and loftier than my pashmina shawls.

Archived