If you have booked a guaranteed cabin, please come in

I think I will call RCCL and see if the guarantee special rate is for new bookings only. It has been this lower price now for almost 2 weeks, and when I checked this AM the savings is $80 now. Thanks for your reply!!

For those who received upgrades, does it seem that the upgrades come on ships that are full or half full or what? Wondering how the # of open rooms available affects the GTY assignment.

just booked a GTY inside on Explorer of the Seas for a 9 day cruise. Looking forward to seeing what we end up with!

Only other GTY I've booked was on the Empress about 4 days before it sailed and the ship was pretty full at that point. Got an inside room on the fourth floor of the ship. From what I gathered, was a bit quieter than the rooms available on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

My questions is: how do you know the price of the gty's?

When I look on RCI's web site they don't list the price for them. Nor does it give you the option to choose that. I've looked under several ships etc. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I booked a balcony guarantee on the Radiance last year 6 weeks before the cruise, knowing that there weren't very many rooms left, so I had an idea of where we'd be. We got a good room towards the aft of the ship on deck 8, and were very happy - the location was quiet, nothing obstructing our view, etc. I would probably book a balcony guarantee again, however I don't think I'd do it with an interior or oceanview after hearing about others' experiences on here.

If you look right now on the Explorer 10/04/08 sailing--you should see the prices for gtys in several categories.

Thanks! Do they only show when there is a short time before the cruise or only if there are some gty rooms left?

What kind of cabin did you end up with when you booked a "guaranteed" room?

The only one we did was an inside cabin on Majesty for the 3 day cruise. The cabin is the small one you here about for this ship, and this was a bonus cruise for us, so we were happy. the only bad part was it was all the way up front on deck 5 I think it was. When the ropes and chains go down in Nassau, it sounded like the ship had hit something. Had I not been warned buy CCers, I might have been scared.

My questions is: how do you know the price of the gty's?

When I look on RCI's web site they don't list the price for them. Nor does it give you the option to choose that. I've looked under several ships etc. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

They don't offer guarantees on every cruise or every sailing. If you aren't seeing a price that means they aren't available.

Also, RCCL will not allow you to book more than 2 people into a guarantee, so if you are searching for more than 2 people they will never show as available. One note, if you are searching for 1 person, they don't show up either but you can call RCCL and if there are guarantees available for that sailing they will allow you to book a guarantee as a single.

I feel very naive. What are "Guarantee" cabins and what's the advantage of using such?

A guarantee cabin is usually a lower price and the cruise line does not give you a cabin number right away. Sometimes it comes quickly, and sometimes you get it with your documents.

For instance, if you book an oceanview guar then the least category you will get is an oceanview. ie you won't get an inside cabin. You usually have a shot at a better category by doing a guarantee. But it's a crap shoot.

For us, I like to be either aft or hump or just midship.....hate the front of a ship as there's too much motion for me!

We booked an ov guarantee and got the most forward ov on starboard side on the 3rd floor on GOS. However there was then a residency special on specific OVs (not guarantees) so I was able to change to a slightly less forward cabin with the cheaper rate.

I would have been fine with the one we were assigned but the lower rate was great!

My parents always book inside guarantee and usually end up on 8th floor midship.

We booked a balcony garantee for our Brilliance OTS cruise and got an E1 category cabin on deck 10, forward.

I dont mind the location but would prefer to be more midship but still be on deck 10.

The other cabins on deck 10 which are available are only junior suites and higher. If I were to email my TA and ask to be moved to a more midship location but still on deck 10 would they move us to a JS or similar??;)

Or would they just start laughing and say "HA!!, nice try!" ???

I doubt it would fly--as it is asking to go up a category. I booked a suite gty and got a JS--the lowest possible suite gty. Perhaps I can call and tell them I prefer the location of the Owners Suite?

Although-it can't hurt to ask. In the mean time another cabin may open up in your category and you can snag that. Don't expect it to happen until after this holiday weekend.

I can see what you are saying but I am not really asking. There are a few D1 Cabins available aft but close to midship.

On our sailing there are still over 50 balcony cabins left and around 20 JS and above. Its still over 70 days until sailing.

I could, I suppose play the honeymoon card:D:D No doubt, I will let you know the outcome:)

Wife and I booked a GTY inside room on Alaska cruise, we were assigned a great room so we requested they put a do not move sign on it. Got a call about 2 weeks before sailing asking if we would like to be moved out of the connecting room we were in, to a better room, I asked how much better, they said.....................an obstructed view balcony - the obstruction was the gangplank blocked our view when in port, only partially. We jumped on that like it was a dying man's last meal. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We are booked on a inside room again but since it seems filled, dont expect an uprade this time.

Always expect this. That way you are not disappointed. It's just that you could be upgraded. Not that you will.

I did expect this but I got the worst possible cabin in the category, the first cabin all the forward over the anchor. I have never gambled with my vacation again due to this bad experience.

I got the exact category I booked--but have to admit that a suite gty means that there are few "bad" choices. The cost was $1299 PP for a JS or $1099 for a suite gty. Then price dropped $100. So the savings was $300 PP or a total of $600. I was quickly assigned a JS on deck 10--which is what I prefer. I am on the hump--which is centrally located. Not a upgrade YET :). but a good cabin with a good location at a savings. My ship sails in 34? days and it has 1 Owners and 2 Grandes open and at least 5- if not more JS open--with the gty still available.

We've done it twice. First on a three night cruise we booked the Oceanview guarantee and ended up with an obstructed view, but we didn't care. We thought it was a nice room and loved the window. Just a few weeks ago on Mariner we had an inside guarantee. Again, it was fine. We were on deck 7, which I prefer, and there were no problems with the room at all.

We are booked for large oceanview on deck 3. But I just checked the RCI website and a balcony guarantee comes out to exactly the same price as our oceanview. I've only put down a deposit. Should we go for it and take the gty?:confused:

Archived