BQ & AK Experts - Itinerary and Excursion Advice

TeeBuccs

Looking to solidify plans for August 5, 2009 NB Inside Passage Cruise with post independent land tour and need some advice or input from you experets. This will be our second trip to AK - hardly a pro at this - and first time coordinating our land portion. DH and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary so this will be a costly, but special trip. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are late 30's pretty active sorts into scenery, wildlife and fishing - over history and culture.

• Ketchikan (in port 10 hrs)- Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour and maybe also doing Island Wings (Misty Fjord and Traitor's Cover Bear Watch). Around August 7th would this be a good chance to see bears? Worth the price to try to see both the fjords and bears?
  • Juneau (in port 14 hrs) - Whale watching with Harv & Marv and considering Mendenhall River Rafting or Northstar Trekking. Concerned for the price if Trekking is good value - DH can't do super strenuous hike due to back issues but could do moderate.
  • Skagway (in port 10 hrs) - This one is a jumble - considering lots here. Did the whole Yukon this last time. This time trying to decide between Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and or Dog Sledding Glacier Tour with Temsco. We may opt to hike Upper/Lower Dewey Lake trail instead of one of these activities. Question is about price of dog sled experience, if worth nearly $1K and or Glacier Point not being hokey.
  • Sitka (in port 10 hrs) - 1/2 day fishing trip with friend who has boat there. Then visit Raptor Center and walk around town.

Here is the tricky part - ship arrives in Whittier. Should we try to to PWS cruise or is it too much getting off one ship onto another boat? Was thinking of getting transportation to Seward to spend one night there. In AM get transportation to ANC to get rental car. I understand in Seward there is Godwin Dogsled Tour - is this better than other alternative above?

Plan on driving to Homer and staying at least two nights. Want to fish in Homer one day and possibly do day trip to Hallo Bay once for bear viewing. What is your opinion on bear viewing opportunities around mid August from this area?

Will return and spend evening in ANC - want to hit the Sat. Market and possibly do the Jet Boat Trip to Knik River. Will fly home from ANC.

Please HELP - the indpendent land portion is confusing me a bit. I want to not go bankrupt here but also do and see the most we can for this special occassion.

Thanks!

Alaska trip planning is so much fun. :)

My only comment is on Skagway. The Upper Dewey Lake Hike is my favorite thing to do there by far, but IMO, it is absolutely a strenuous hike. The elevation gain is sharp and fast, and the switchbacks can be a little unforgiving. You can pace yourself though. There aren't really any views along the way until you get to the lake itself, which is in a beautiful alpine meadow.

I only mention this because of your comment about your husband's back.

There won't be snow in August, but there could be mud, so wear good shoes if you go.

Whatever you do, have a great trip.

(Edited) "...Skagway (in port 10 hrs) - This one is a jumble - considering lots here. Did the whole Yukon this last time. This time trying to decide between Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and or Dog Sledding Glacier Tour with Temsco. We may opt to hike Upper/Lower Dewey Lake trail instead of one of these activities. Question is about price of dog sled experience, if worth nearly $1K...." and or Glacier Point not being hokey. Thanks!

My point of view has not been popular. We will probably get a ton of opposite views. A thousand dollars to ride in a dogsled????? Even if a cruise to Alaska and a dog sled ride is considered a once in a lifetime experience, my hand would be paralyzed trying to reach for my wallet.

I would throw in a few more bucks and upgrade to a suite on another cruise.

Looking to solidify plans for August 5, 2009 NB Inside Passage Cruise with post independent land tour and need some advice or input from you experets. This will be our second trip to AK - hardly a pro at this - and first time coordinating our land portion. DH and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary so this will be a costly, but special trip. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are late 30's pretty active sorts into scenery, wildlife and fishing - over history and culture.

• Ketchikan (in port 10 hrs)- Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour and maybe also doing Island Wings (Misty Fjord and Traitor's Cover Bear Watch). Around August 7th would this be a good chance to see bears? Worth the price to try to see both the fjords and bears?
  • Juneau (in port 14 hrs) - Whale watching with Harv & Marv and considering Mendenhall River Rafting or Northstar Trekking. Concerned for the price if Trekking is good value - DH can't do super strenuous hike due to back issues but could do moderate.
  • Skagway (in port 10 hrs) - This one is a jumble - considering lots here. Did the whole Yukon this last time. This time trying to decide between Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and or Dog Sledding Glacier Tour with Temsco. We may opt to hike Upper/Lower Dewey Lake trail instead of one of these activities. Question is about price of dog sled experience, if worth nearly $1K and or Glacier Point not being hokey.
  • Sitka (in port 10 hrs) - 1/2 day fishing trip with friend who has boat there. Then visit Raptor Center and walk around town.

Here is the tricky part - ship arrives in Whittier. Should we try to to PWS cruise or is it too much getting off one ship onto another boat? Was thinking of getting transportation to Seward to spend one night there. In AM get transportation to ANC to get rental car. I understand in Seward there is Godwin Dogsled Tour - is this better than other alternative above?

Plan on driving to Homer and staying at least two nights. Want to fish in Homer one day and possibly do day trip to Hallo Bay once for bear viewing. What is your opinion on bear viewing opportunities around mid August from this area?

Will return and spend evening in ANC - want to hit the Sat. Market and possibly do the Jet Boat Trip to Knik River. Will fly home from ANC.

Please HELP - the indpendent land portion is confusing me a bit. I want to not go bankrupt here but also do and see the most we can for this special occassion.

Thanks!

In your timeframe, I would opt for Anan, although Traitor's Cove is peak. Just overall better viewing. I would skip Misty Fjords flight seeing and use all your time on the bears.

Juneau- Northstar gets consistant raves. I have gone glacier trekking and definately liked it, (but not with Northstar). I do only suggest the longest and most costly tour. You need the time and the shorter tours are just too short, in my opinion. Not sure how much whale watching you do??? You'll have to determine, which is the most important??

I agree with Trooper. :) I have dog sledded in the winter, with my own team. The glacier dog sledding is limited, you do not drive, and the ride is a big circle. :) People RAVE about this one too, so it definately is a winner with choices. I am referring to your cost issues??? Perhaps you need to determine, again, what is your priority. For me, I would choose a bear watch over a glacier dog sled. :)

I highly recommend the Whittier boat tours, IF you want more glaciers and scenery.

With your routing and timeframe, I suggest you just get to Anchorage, rather than backtracking from Seward. Rent your car, and do both Seward and Homer in a loop. For Halo Bay, consult with the vendor and get the sighting stats directly from them. Ideally you need to allow 2 days for these tours out of Homer.

With your routing and timeframe, I suggest you just get to Anchorage, rather than backtracking from Seward. Rent your car, and do both Seward and Homer in a loop.

So from Whittier should we book private transportation to ANC area to get our rental car and then drive back to Seward for an evening? Is that what you are recommending? I want to be sure to have one day in ANC (full day on the weekend) and at least two in Homer so want to make sure that I get the most efficient order down.

Thanks!

With your routing and timeframe, I suggest you just get to Anchorage, rather than backtracking from Seward. Rent your car, and do both Seward and Homer in a loop.

So from Whittier should we book private transportation to ANC area to get our rental car and then drive back to Seward for an evening? Is that what you are recommending? I want to be sure to have one day in ANC (full day on the weekend) and at least two in Homer so want to make sure that I get the most efficient order down.

Thanks!

From your post- you state, you would go to Seward then in the "AM go to Anchorage, pick up car, then to Homer" In the SAME day???? You are looking at 7 hours on the road???????????????

IF you get an early start, with a pick up from Whittier, and out at the 8am tunnel, you could be back in Seward by early afternoon. Next day leave in the afternoon for Homer.

Clairfy this????

From your post- you state, you would go to Seward then in the "AM go to Anchorage, pick up car, then to Homer" In the SAME day???? You are looking at 7 hours on the road???????????????

IF you get an early start, with a pick up from Whittier, and out at the 8am tunnel, you could be back in Seward by early afternoon. Next day leave in the afternoon for Homer.

Clairfy this????

Sorry for the confusion. Long and short of it...

Spirit arrives in Whittier - looking to find out best order for hitting Seward (one night) and Homer (2 nights) and then ending up in ANC for at least one night (on the weekend so can do Sat. market before we catch flight home that evening). I view ANC as our last stop - hub since that is where we are flying home from.

What is the best order to tackle these towns so we are efficient and can do the most in them possible?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Here is my 2 cents on the dog sledding subject.

I absolutely loved dog sledding and it remains one of the absolutely highlights of my 3 cruises to Alaska. I thought it was worth every single penny I spent on my excursion. I did mine with ERA out of Juneau, but I would assume that the experience with TEMSCO out of Skagway is similar. I did use TEMSCO out of Skagway for a helicopter glacier landing and walk around and I really liked TEMSCO. Their operation is first class. Anyhow, going back to the dog sledding. It was the thrill of a lifetime for me. And yes, while it is extremely expensive, I would do it again in a heartbeat, even at these costs.

However, I think maybe something to keep in mind is that I live in Southern California where we don't have dog sledding and don't get snow, unless you live in the mountains. So to me, dog sledding is a novelty. If you live in a cold weather area that gets snow and perhaps has dog sledding activities, then doing this in Alaska may not be as appealing to you as it is/was to me.

Good luck in planning!

Spirit arrives in Whittier - looking to find out best order for hitting Seward (one night) and Homer (2 nights) and then ending up in ANC for at least one night (on the weekend so can do Sat. market before we catch flight home that evening). I view ANC as our last stop - hub since that is where we are flying home from.

What is the best order to tackle these towns so we are efficient and can do the most in them possible?

Thanks for the help!!!!

I would rent an Avis car in Whittier, then drive to Homer first if you're not doing a PWS cruise. Then go to Seward and Anchorage. If you do a PWS cruise, then I'd go to Seward first. If your return flight is on Saturday night, then you have only 3 nights and won't be able to spend an overnight in Anchorage.

Thanks for the help!!!!

You arrive on a Wed. how late is the Anchorage market?? You would be best, with the costly one way car rental with Avis. Out the 9am tunnel and direct to Homer, for your Wed and Thurs night. Allow a 4 hour drive to Seward, figure out what time you want to get there? Then determine your Homer departure time. It's a 3 hour drive to Anchorage from Seward;

We have about a day and half in Denali Park - we will be doing the TWT one day - what would you recommend as a 'must' for the half day? thanks,

Sharon

Are you independent?? Will you have a car?? There are park activities to also consider http://www.nps.gov/dena

I posted this in the Roll Call for the NCL Pearl on 9/7/08, but in case anyone is on that cruise, or another boat that will be in Juneau on 9/9 and wants the best whale watching, Harv & Marv's is booked, but they agreed to do a rare late afternoon ride if they can fill the boat (which is only six people).

Here is the info:

BIG NEWS! Harv and Marv's will do a 4:00-7:00 whale watching trip! Tuesday, September 9th, in Juneau. We take the same shuttle as everyone else (2:45 p.m.), they will drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier to hang out for 30-45 minutes, then come get us for the 4:00 tour and we'll be back on the boat by 7:30.

THERE ARE FOUR SPOTS LEFT!

If you want to take this tour, call Eileen at Harv and Marv's (907-209-7288), tell her you are with Valerie's group from the Pearl and book it, then post here so I know not to recruit anyone else.

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/contact.html

We took the glacier/dogsledding with Coastal Helicopters on Aug. 2 and it was FABULOUS. We have no words in our vocabularies to describe it. I am very careful and frugal but it was worth every penny $429. It was the highlight excursion of our trip. Some also went Kayaking in Sitka and ziplining in Ketchikan.

Land portion highlights

Animal Park near Seward and Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords in Seward.

Also seeing Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna on a totally clear day

Fairbanks Pioneer Park, Salmon Bake, theatre, North Pole, Riverboat

Archived