RCCL Takes 3 Weeks to Return Bag - What Would You Ask For?

If your bag was lost at the beginning of your vacation I would have expected some help from the cruise line to replace some of the items while cruising. Your vacation was over and they did finally return your bag - honestly, be glad you got it back. I'm still waiting for AA to return my bag from a May 2007 flight...

###

What do you get from an airline that loses your bag......then gets it back to you 3 or 6 days later.

You probably will get the same thing from the cruiseline.......any cruiseline.

Answer..........you get your bag back!! Along with a verbal apology if demanded. :rolleyes:

Rick

My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

A RCCL rep left a phone message on July 16 saying they'd found the bag, and would contact us with shipping info. Waited 3 more days. Nothing. My wife began calling RCCL reps daily, demanding information. For awhile, no one could even confirm that they'd actually found the bag. Our travel agent even joined in, but only got the reply that "this never happens."

On July 29, my wife finally got confirmation the bag had shipped and got a Fedex tracking number. July 30 initiated two days of phone tag with someone at Fedex who needed my SSN to get US Customs to release the bag.

The bag finally showed up August 4, full of pretty nasty-smelling clothes.

So, what would you ask for from RCCL, and how would you go about it?

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -

Why would you ask or expect anything? They returned your bag.

You aren't out any money, your items returned intact. I guess I don't understand why you'd think this was something they should compensate you for.

Then, there's always the fact that you have no way of knowing who in the chain "lost" your bag so "blame" can't be fixed.

No, I don't understand the question.

If your bag was lost at the beginning of your vacation I would have expected some help from the cruise line to replace some of the items while cruising. Your vacation was over and they did finally return your bag - honestly, be glad you got it back. I'm still waiting for AA to return my bag from a May 2007 flight...

###

I don't even want to think about what THOSE clothes would smell like after all that time.:eek:

Be happy that they didnt charge you postage for its return.

It is possible that maybe someone else accidently picked up your luggage by mistake. I did that one time on vacation and had to return it to the airline when I realized it wasnt my suitcase.

Just be happy you have it back.

I think the OP is right. The bag didn't make it from the ship to the dock. Its not like it was lost after it was returned to the control of the OP.

I doubt his cruise was travel for the purpose of getting from one place to another. It was a vacation. If I dropped my bag at the bell stand at a hotel and it didn't make it to my room - or vice versa - I'd be rather upset and believe that I deserved 1) an apology, and 2) Some form of compensation.

The "loss" here is the inability to use/wear the clothes and belongings in the bag. RCL doesn't have the right to withhold them. If RCL owed a refund on an OBC, or even a refund on a cruise deposit and said "I'm sorry, we've misplaced your deposit. You'll get it back, but we don't know when" that would be completely unacceptable.

Ask for something. If they give you nothing, then perhaps there are other cruise lines that really do want your return business.

It would be different if the bag was lost during embarkation. I used to work for the benefits dept of a major credit card company. One of the benefits was Baggage Delay the delay was only valid for the delay or misdirection of your baggage to a location other than your primary residence.

Ok, sorry but I'm still stuck on this smelly bag thing. I can't imagine what kind of state clothes would have to be in to be THAT smelly after a couple weeks. Unless maybe they were packed wet...and I don't even wanna go there.:eek:

Sorry, I'm bored tonight and just thinking out loud. Carry on. :)

The only possible compensation I can see here is that if your "dirty smelly clothes" were things that you absolutely were going to have to wear during the three weeks that your bag was lost. If you had a vintage Aloha shirt that you needed to wear for a Hawaiian reunion event, and you had to go purchase another so you could attend. Or say it was a nice tuxedo and you had a wedding to go to, so you needed to rent one instead. Those are the kind of comments that I have found airlines receptive to awarding some type of compensation (and it was only a paltry $25 at that!). To merely expect some type of monetary payment for pure inconvenience is unlikely to be successful, nor does it seem to be a popular opinion here on these boards.

I think the OP is right. The bag didn't make it from the ship to the dock. Its not like it was lost after it was returned to the control of the OP.

I doubt his cruise was travel for the purpose of getting from one place to another. It was a vacation. If I dropped my bag at the bell stand at a hotel and it didn't make it to my room - or vice versa - I'd be rather upset and believe that I deserved 1) an apology, and 2) Some form of compensation.

The "loss" here is the inability to use/wear the clothes and belongings in the bag. RCL doesn't have the right to withhold them. If RCL owed a refund on an OBC, or even a refund on a cruise deposit and said "I'm sorry, we've misplaced your deposit. You'll get it back, but we don't know when" that would be completely unacceptable.

Ask for something. If they give you nothing, then perhaps there are other cruise lines that really do want your return business.

Actually, Newark, let's use your analogy.

So, Royal Caribbean owes you a refund. Instead of getting it that day, it takes three weeks to get it.

Do they owe you MORE of a refund than the original amount?

I don't think so!

I wouldn't ask for anything. I would, however, show a little gratitude for them paying shipping charges from England! :eek:

That's just me tho. I tend to march to the beat of a different drummer ;)

Not bad....coming from a pilot!!

I asked "what would you ask for".

The majority opinion so far is "nothing - just be thankful you got the bag back at all."

As for the smelly clothes - well, how can I answer this? I only know that I put the bag outside our stateroom on July 11, and it showed up on my doorstep on August 4. The clothes were NOT packed wet, bundled with leaking cheese, or packaged up in any other way that would invite ridicule. The contents had certainly been rifled through, but I have no idea who went through them. RCCL? FEDEX? US Customs? The Taliban? Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I asked if the community thought compensation was appropriate, and you have provided your opinions.

And I have no position whatsoever on the existence or propriety of "RC Vigilantes."

I must be an RC vigilante (I actually thought they were cheerleaders) - because I also believe that no compensation is warranted. Again, if something was lost or damaged - sure. But you received your items. In fact, it delayed some of your post cruise laundry -which I always hate. ;)

Archived