anyone else over 55 and have kids at home?

mmbow

I'm 58 and DW is 59 and our DS will be 23 on Oct 28. He is my best friend, next to DW of course. We go to social (read beer) gatherings and other events together and enjoy a lot of lifes finer parts as well. Even though we do share so much we both feel fee to go on our own, but I seem to have more fun with him. Sometimes, he turns out to be the adult and I the kid. I'm glad we had him at 35 and 36 because now that we are in a more secure fiancial place in our life, and DS is "making his own fortune" we don't have to support him just love and share with him. BTW is Mom and he are BFF's too. I wouldn't exclude Pete from any cruise I'm on, I just couldn't "shaft" my friend.

Ken my hubby and I are very close to our 25 year old daughter. She does not do every cruise with us, because sometimes we want "couple time." But, she has cruised with us over half our cruises. I don't see that changing. She has NEVER turned down a cruise when we invited her. I do think an only child does tend to be closer to his/her parents. Even as a teenager, she still wanted be with us, when others her age, the last thing they wanted to do was be seen with "Mom and Dad," LOL!

Although our kids are grown, moved off, and married, all of us (including our three grandkids) will cruise together in March to the Mexican Riviera.

We'll all celebrate my 60th birthday at Senor Frog's in Mazatlan.

A great way (IMHO) to bring in my 60th year!

:cool:I am 55 today. I adopted 5 special needs grandchildren ... 14,12,11,9 and 8. My ex and I have joint custody. No they are not going on my first cruise. I thought when my youngest flew the coop I was done, but life throws curve balls!

Nice to see I am not alone at still having children home! We , my boyfriend and I sail on the Inspiration on 2-8.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Bless you for adopting your grandchildren. We have our two grandsons living here -- along with their single moms. Certainly not in our plans -- nor in theirs. But you gotta do what you gotta do! They don't cruise with us, either.

Enjoy your first cruise!!

Ha ha, be careful of overenjoyment on a cruise, unless it's planned.

Our DD is 27 and I'm still raising her; although this is the last month! After our Alaska cruise end of June, she will be on her own...just graduated as a medical doctor and will start her residency in July. The cruise is her graduation present.

Our DS is 24, I'm still raising him too; for 2 more years when he will also graduate from medical school.

My job is 50% complete.

I hope these kids now a days know how to appreciate their parents!

Ken

I'm 60 and DH 1s 68. DD a legal nurse is 38 married w/ a 17 y/o daughter. First DS is 36 a CT scanner has his own place but at the house just about everyday to "hang out" but he takes care of our jack russell when we go on vacation. Next DS is 34 an ER doctor and we raised him until he graduated from med school but still helped him out during residency b/c his stipend was not enough. And yes, they appreciate their parents.

We are taking our DGD on our Eastern Carib cruise in March on HAL Eurodam as her high school graduation present. Hope there will be enough kids for her to hang out with as this is spring break. I don't think she will be hanging out with both set of grandparents except when shopping.

I'm hoping that DGD will appreciate us, we brought her to more vacation places than we did our own children.

I just got my first SS check & have a HS senior at home. We have 2 adopted boys; the other is 27, married with child & not living with us at this time. We have taken the younger with us on a cruise & he loved it. I would love to arrange a cruise for his graduation.

We adopted our first rather late in life (I thought), and for 10 years I thought 1 was a nice round number...Then a niece had a surprise while in HS. Since we had been through the adoption process, we were the logical (?) choice to raise the child. It worked out nice as my father in law came to live with us the last 10 years of his life (yea, I lived with 4 generations of males from the same family:D), so he was surrounded by bio-family. We introduced him to his bio mom when he was 11 & he has since found his bio dad & has good relations with them both. Both parents have had children with others, so he has all sorts of 1/2 brothers all over the country (you should see our phone bill).

He will start community college in the Fall & hopefully find a career he likes.

As much as I love and enjoy him, I'm getting tired of all the school and sport commitments/fund raisers/pep rallies, etc.

Our next cruise is on NCL Dawn on 1/29/10 & I'm looking forward to the down time

• 3 weeks later...

I am in my early 50's, DH in his early 60's (exactly 10years older than me, so I'm NOT telling his age, or I'd be giving up mine! :eek:). DD is 14YO. She is our one and only and comes with us on all of our trips. Certainly would be far less fun without her.

• 2 weeks later...

55, husband 56, son 27, daughter 24 and son 15 - a very unexpected late addition to the family, went into hospital on my 40th birthday, when I should have been in Egypt - so a mummy instead of mummies!

He has been cruising with us since he was 5 and loves it

We do find that we still have to cater for him when we book a holiday, but he will be 16 in June and hopefully it won't be too long before we can leave him with his sister and go off on our own

Our eldest son stayed at home when we cruised in 1999, when he was nearly 17 - I panicked when we got a call from him not long after boarding - but all he wanted to know was how to turn the grill on :D

• 2 weeks later...
Be carefull about thinking you're now free. They don't ever really leave. All 4 have come home to re-nest at one time or another. The latest, our baby, 37, came home 5 months ago with the baby to stay. Very big adjustment.

My daughter, 25, has never really left. It is not her fault though, she has not been able to find a position that pays enough for her to afford her own place. This economy really sucks. I feel badly for young people, many have an excellent education, with Bachelors, Masters, and Doctors degrees, and still can not find work. At least my daughter does have a job.

55 year old mom of 5 - 1st cruised in 2008 was my honeymoon, all the children and family cruised with us. Was down to my 30 year old daughter getting married 10/10/10, looking to buy a house, almost there - yes I said almost there, in December my 28 year old daughter came back home with husband & (grand)daughter (Autumn) and as of January 13th our newest grandson (Luca) joined us. Good thing we have the room. Sounds crazy, but we love having them around.

We are 56 and 57 currently have our 26 DD living with us she's a bit of a boomerang, I am hoping next time she will settle down. Its great having her at home as she looks after oue 12 year old collie x springer who is still very active.DS has finally settled down with his lovelly partner we have never cruised with them funny the only holidays they have wanted to join us on in recent years have been to Barbados:)

52 and 55 and 21yo son still home attending college but also works in the family business so it's helpful. Older son 23yo moved home to "save money" after graduating from college. Works rotating shifts 45 miles away and sleeps, eats and then leaves. Minimal help most of the time. 25 yo marrried daughter brings her baby here on my days off during the week. Had 27 yo and her daughter here the weekend.

I REALLY need this cruise in two weeks! When everyone finally leaves we should be able to cruise more often with the money we will save on groceries!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

The DH is 57 and I'm 63 (yeah, I'm a Cougar:D), and we have a 14 yr. DS. We were too busy partying when we were in our 20s, 30s and forgot to have kids!:eek: We have been cruising with the DS since he was 5 and have another cruise planed for spring break to Hawaii. Our DS keeps us young and on our toes. He has brought nothing but more love and joy to our lives. Yeah, we are the oldest soccer, baseball, football, (the kid never met a sport he didn't like) parents around, but we love it and are treated just like any other parents. Fact is, people usually don't even have a clue how old we are unless they ask or we tell, and then we usually get...."No way!" Love being older parents!:D We will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary this year, but have actually been together as a couple for 39 years!;);)

I'm a 58 y/o dicvorce father of 1 20 y/o daughter. About 16 months ago she moved in with me...left her mother's home for mine. She is a second semester sophomore living away at school. Both her mother and myself continue to work for United Airlines and this has provided both parents and DD a great chance to travel. I alone have taken vacations with my DD to London(March 2001), Washington DC(July 2000) Las Vegas(spring break both 1997/1998--she had such fun..so did I), and 7 cruises with me. This doesn't include vacations taken with her mother.

I will be cruising single in May 2010, but she wanted to be with her boyfriend at his Senior Prom...so this will become the third cruise in which I have travelled alone....I found its more than ok too :).

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
Raising my hand :)

DH is 59 and I just made it to the Senior Special age of 55! We didn't get married until we were in our 30's and then waited a couple of years before having kids. There was no way either of us were ready for kids in our 20's, so it has worked out great for us.

Our son is 19 and our daughter is 16, they are still home but are both a delight to have around.

My dad is 59, mom 58, and my son is almost 19, and I am almost 39. :D

Oh, and by the way, my parents are on their first cruise.. They finally agreed to take "old" people type of vacation. :)

Archived