Bayonne: A nightmare???

halos

:eek: Don't even speak of nasty weather. I've been living in downpouring rain for WEEKS up here.

The kids just returned. They have a house at Rangely Lake (upper side of Maine near the NH border). They go up there every couple of months, and LOVE it. They did say it's been raining a lot up there recently.

OK....We need a Sun Dance for our cruise! LOL We'll think positive!! Ready for a good time! :D

I wouldn't go out of this port again. It was over $50 from the airport to the pier and it is only a 10 minute drive (This was also last year before gas went through the roof). I did not think the port was very well organized, especially as disembarcation.

It is probably great if you live in North Jersey, but I don't think it is that good for people who are flying in.

Lots of good information here. We are sailing out of Cape Liberty this coming December. This will be our first time....I'm now armed with good advise and things to be aware of.

Happy cruising to those getting ready to sail. Keep her in good shape for December :-)

The kids just returned. They have a house at Rangely Lake (upper side of Maine near the NH border). They go up there every couple of months, and LOVE it. They did say it's been raining a lot up there recently.

OK....We need a Sun Dance for our cruise! LOL We'll think positive!! Ready for a good time! :D

I'm ALWAYS ready for a good time!!!!:D

(Rangely Lake is beautiful!!)

I wouldn't go out of this port again. It was over $50 from the airport to the pier and it is only a 10 minute drive (This was also last year before gas went through the roof). I did not think the port was very well organized, especially as disembarcation.

It is probably great if you live in North Jersey, but I don't think it is that good for people who are flying in.

In all honesty, if I had to fly to NJ...I would never sail out of there. I'd rather fly to Florida or even all the way to CA instead. The reason we are cruising out of Bayonne, is we can drive there. Flying is such a hassle as well as a huge expense. As much as I dislike sailing out of NY, I'm sure I'll be booking more cruises out of there too.

I have a cruise out of Boston next year...I'm REALLY looking forward to that! Only a 2 hour drive to the port Woooohooo!! :D

This is the great thing about CC...if you are prepared (mentally) for a less than perfect embarkation, it isn't as unpleasant as if you are caught totally off guard.

Ok...so I've heard a few stories about cruisin' outta Jersey...and they weren't good ones. Embarkation/Debarkation nightmares, we'll call them.

Anyone out there able to tell me it isn't all that bad??? Or should I just expect a circus and be prepared for the worst?

We've sailed out of Bayonne many times and find it very easy. the only time you may encounter an issue is if there is a weather delay with the ship and that has happened a few times for winter cruises especially. If you have your car there it's still easy to get out of port should that happen. :)

Steph,if you dont want to eat at the hotel where you are staying,ask the person at the desk for transportation to the spanish resturants on Ferry st. in Newark,about ten minutes from the airport hotel area.One of the resturants is Iberia or Iberia Pennencila.You will get a good meal.

We got off the Explorer less than 3 weeks ago, had NO problems what so ever.

For embarking, we arrived at the pier by 11:30, we unloaded the truck, DH parked and we were walking up to the check-in line by 11:45. NO WAITING what so ever. Received bus #9, and was on the ship before 12:30.

For disembarking, we had grey tags, third after self-assist and Lt. Blue. Self-assist DOES take forever, probably close to 1.5 hours, but once they are done it's a breeze.

Grey was called at 9:10 and by 9:35 we were IN the truck driving away. Yep, got off the ship, found our luggage, cleared customs and walked to the truck in 25 minutes.

The convenience of driving to the pier far surpasses having to fly anywhere!

I am from NJ and cruised out of Bayonne for the first time last June. We had a group of nine and had absolutely no problems. We had a car service drop us off, we went through check-in smoothly and then took the buses RC provided that dropped us off right at the ship.

One lady in our group was wheelchair bound and she too reported that the process was suprisingly smooth.

I just made reservations yesterday at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. We will come over from NY on the E and PATH trains from NY Penn Station. Most web hotel booking sites are showing the room rate at the Hyatt for much more than we are paying. By going directly to hyatt.com I was able to get the senior rate (DH will be 62 by then) for $191, including all fees and taxes.

It's within a block of the Exchange Place PATH rail station, and there is a PATH train station near the Cape Liberty port: about a 15 minute train ride.

I read on another site that RCCL has a free shuttle fromt this PATH station (34th Street) to the cruise terminal. Does anyone know about this? I emailed the web site that posted the info, and they reconfirmed in July that the shuttle was still running.

Don't worry about it. I was concerned as well after reading some reviews. We were there in March 08 and it was as smooth as could be. Obviously if the ship gets back late you may have some traffic issues but we arrived around 10:30 - 11:00 via taxi and had no problems. The waiting area is large, plenty of chairs, drinks (coffee, lemonade, water, etc.) and cookies. The shuttle is a matter of minutes and you are on the ship. Same thing coming back. No problems. We took the shuttle to the airport. I am hoping to return to Bayonne for another cruise soon.

Have an excellent time!!!!

I just made reservations yesterday at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. We will come over from NY on the E and PATH trains from NY Penn Station. Most web hotel booking sites are showing the room rate at the Hyatt for much more than we are paying. By going directly to hyatt.com I was able to get the senior rate (DH will be 62 by then) for $191, including all fees and taxes.

It's within a block of the Exchange Place PATH rail station, and there is a PATH train station near the Cape Liberty port: about a 15 minute train ride.

I read on another site that RCCL has a free shuttle fromt this PATH station (34th Street) to the cruise terminal. Does anyone know about this? I emailed the web site that posted the info, and they reconfirmed in July that the shuttle was still running.

Peggy we are staying there in October. You got a good rate. We booked ours about 7 months ago and got $231 including taxes for a AAA rate. I'll be watching this thread........if you find out about the shuttle from the PATH station post back........we were just figuring a cab to the pier from the hyatt Jersey City.

Jim

Peggy we are staying there in October. You got a good rate. We booked ours about 7 months ago and got $231 including taxes for a AAA rate. I'll be watching this thread........if you find out about the shuttle from the PATH station post back........we were just figuring a cab to the pier from the hyatt Jersey City.

Jim

$231 isn't a bad rate, either, if it includes taxes and fees. There standard rate before add-ons is now $239.

I will post back if I here anything more about the shuttle, and maybe we will hear from another poster. I'm also subscribed to several other related threads, so I'll come back if I pick up anything from them.

$231 isn't a bad rate, either, if it includes taxes and fees. There standard rate before add-ons is now $239.

I will post back if I here anything more about the shuttle, and maybe we will hear from another poster. I'm also subscribed to several other related threads, so I'll come back if I pick up anything from them.

Thanks I would appreciate it. I just checked the Hyatt Jersey City website and it is showing for our dates now $395 per night:eek: :eek: Don't know what is going on but glad we booked when we did.

I'll see if I can find out anything as well.

Jim

to me leaving out of bayonne was better than leaving out of ny.

they were very organized in bayonne from the time we dropped our luggage off, parked car and even when we went to get our sea pass -- the waiting area before we boarded bus that took us to ship was very big wheras in ny - u sit in a straight line like u are watching a movie. at least in bayonne, they have small tables and some little picky food for u to eat and even tv.

as for leaving ship -- i could not believe the amount of porters waiting to help u with u luggage - we had a porter who took our bags and even came to our car to drop them off -- it was very organized.

in NY u have to hail down a porter and it is very conjested when u are trying to get out of terminal and people are trying to get on ship.

We sailed out of Bayonne on 7/3 and disembarked on 7/12.

No major glitches... just that the port staff was short staffed on 7/3 because of the 4th the next day. This delayed sailaway until 6:30 instead of 5pm.

It didn't ruin our vacation! :)

to me leaving out of bayonne was better than leaving out of ny.

Well, that's good!! :)

Our first experience out of NY was horrible, but that's because the ship didn't debark it's previous passengers until very late. Our second time out of NY was a bit smoother...and although it wasn't the best embark we ever had, it certainly wasn't a nightmare!!

To be honest, I'm getting on a ship, so any pain I experience in emabarking will fade once I am on board.....kinda like labor pains. :D

>>>>>>

There are no hotels to add on to our cruise from RCI, first time I've experienced that. I'm thinking of using the Marriott Newark Libery Airport Hotel, since we have to fly in a day early - traveling from the west coast - couldn't get in earlier then 4pm with the time zone changes even with leaving at 6:30am with a one stop 40 min layover.

Is that the best choice of hotel close to the area? Then also, taking a cab would be a reasonable choice as well?? Thanks so much for all the advice and information!

Stephanie :cool:

I have heard from half a dozen different people that the airport Marriot is a great place to stay if you're arriving a day before your cruise. Apparently this is the hotel where all the Pilots and Flight attendants stay.....need I say more?? :p :D

I have heard $30-$40 at most for a cab ride to the pier. (investigate that further if it is a concern because I am sure prices vary greatly)

Archived